• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][MOD][ROOT/NONROOT] YouTube Vanced Edition

Search This thread

Gammelstulle

Jan 18, 2017
Are you using xposed by any chance? And what magisk modules? I experience the same thing.
no im not using xposed. i use the modules in the screen shot + viper 4 adroid fx in tge moment. i also installed a sound boost mod via twrp, but was way after i tryed vanced. maybe i installed some crap before. will try it again

Edit: nope. No change. Still crashing starts uo and crash. if i clicking fast on a video on the start page sometimes the video run with out a crash. i can use vanced than carefully, but after some time it will craah and makes my system instable (system gui also crash if i try to use vanced...) i delete the app data, move some xperia addons for youtube away... still not running. What for astock rom you are use? i have android 8.0. witsh Version from magsik you use? I use the last stable.. I will try now the root apk instead the magsik repo. we will see..

Edit 2:

The normal rootinstaller via twrp works like a charme. confusing. I don't know why the magisk repro not working for me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190111-225204.png
    Screenshot_20190111-225204.png
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,563
Last edited:

thedicemaster

May 10, 2009
i searched the thread but didn't find any solution to watching vertical videos. As soon as I expand to full screen, the video will rotate to landscape. Any ideas?

e.g. vertical videos below
https://youtu.be/bdPZ2Cu1vNU
https://youtu.be/4iRyjav-CMM

the top one (halsey - without me) is not a vertical video at all.
the source may have been vertical, but it has been encoded as a standard 1920x1080 horizontal video.
the black bars on the side are actually part of the video, so YouTube has no way of knowing that it is supposed to be a vertical video.

the bottom one (Mark Ronson Nothing Breaks Like a Heart ft Miley Cyrus) works as intended here, it's properly encoded at 608x1080 and will play in vertical fullscreen mode.

Reactions: sdho and babywin

TomiLynch

Jan 31, 2017
Google Nexus 5
Moto E
Hi guys,
I've being using this app from the good old iYTBP days and never had a problem.

Now I bought a OnePlus 6T and installed the black version through Magisk Repo. The app was installed and works perfectly, the only weird issue I'm getting is Youtube isn't showing in Settings > Apps, so I can't disable battery optimizations to prevent it from getting killed when playing music in the background.

I tried removing the module and rebooting and then I don't even get my stock youtube back in the launcher. I can see the youtube folder and apk in /system/app but I don't see the app in the launcher and it's not shown as installed in the playstore either.

If I reinstall the module, Vanced is installed and everything works correctly, but I still can't disable battery optimizations.

Any ideas on what's going on?

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014
Can anyone help me? Thanks.
I don't think the installer works on kitkat. You can do it manually. Create a folder in system/app called YouTube. Inside it place the root version apk and change it's name to YouTube.apk and set permissions the same as other apps in system/apps and also set permissions for the folder as well. Reboot, and you should be good to go.

Reactions: thyaguster

sdho

Feb 9, 2010
Thanks for the clarification...surprised why celebrities(youtubers) will upload vertical video with black bars on the side.

the top one (halsey - without me) is not a vertical video at all.
the source may have been vertical, but it has been encoded as a standard 1920x1080 horizontal video.
the black bars on the side are actually part of the video, so YouTube has no way of knowing that it is supposed to be a vertical video.

the bottom one (Mark Ronson Nothing Breaks Like a Heart ft Miley Cyrus) works as intended here, it's properly encoded at 608x1080 and will play in vertical fullscreen mode.

Spannaa

Recognized Contributor / Themer
Hi guys,
I've being using this app from the good old iYTBP days and never had a problem.

Now I bought a OnePlus 6T and installed the black version through Magisk Repo. The app was installed and works perfectly, the only weird issue I'm getting is Youtube isn't showing in Settings > Apps, so I can't disable battery optimizations to prevent it from getting killed when playing music in the background.

I tried removing the module and rebooting and then I don't even get my stock youtube back in the launcher. I can see the youtube folder and apk in /system/app but I don't see the app in the launcher and it's not shown as installed in the playstore either.

If I reinstall the module, Vanced is installed and everything works correctly, but I still can't disable battery optimizations.

Any ideas on what's going on?
Does it show if you do settings > apps > see all > 3 dot menu > show system?

acbln

Dec 19, 2018
With the new version I have a problem with scrolling. It has a lag while I am watching a video and want to scroll to the comments.

Does anyone have a similar issue with a Huawei Pie version or with every other Android version. I'm not sure where the problem is.

speedingcheetah

Feb 25, 2011
Equestria
Use search. There are fixes and workarounds in the meantime. Instead of demanding updates I mean. Devs have lives.

Whose demanding? It is just surprising that 2 major features are not fix after all this time.
Vanced using is frequently updated.
There is no fix for notifications. it just doesn't work.
I dont use cast, but many do. so it would make sense to fix both in the next release.

Hellybrine

Jul 16, 2018
I having trouble using the app as I am not getting any notifications..... I have an unrooted phone
Could anybody help
I have already tinkered with the notification settings in the app but it still doesn't work
And when I'm in pip mode at first when I clicked on the video the controls would pop up but now that has also stopped working
Somebody else experiencing the same or just me
Please help

Paschfire

May 16, 2014
Ottawa
I having trouble using the app as I am not getting any notifications..... I have an unrooted phone
Could anybody help
I have already tinkered with the notification settings in the app but it still doesn't work
And when I'm in pip mode at first when I clicked on the video the controls would pop up but now that has also stopped working
Somebody else experiencing the same or just me
Please help

Device?
Android/ROM version?
Log, logcat?
Vanced version flashed?

Any Details regarding your device setup?

Read the 2nd OP about proper bug and issue reporting, or when asking for help.

Sent from my OnePlus 3T using XDA Labs

Reactions: Hellybrine

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You could have spent less time writing yes or no than everything you just said.
    It's about the rules and principles of good behavior:
    - search and read before asking
    - confirm/like when people help you

If you would be one who would not only ask but also spent his time to help the others, you would see yourself how tedious is to answer the same things over and over

Anyway, don't worry, I will no more bother to spend time on your questions/issues (being them really something new or just repeated and well known topics) 🤓
    I cant download videos into gallery from vanced what should i do?
    Downloading videos is a YouTube Premium feature. Vanced is not YouTube Premium. You'll also find this in the huge OP you've quoted in its entirety. I'd also like to kindly add that quoting an entire OP is a rookie action we often see with new members. Just saying. I'm glad XenForo crops it these days ^_^
    I use YMusic to do download videos/audio (via its share features). You'll find it on XDA as well.
    Vanced will never support download feature
    You could have spent less time writing yes or no than everything you just said.
    I can't believe you're trolling every thread I follow 🤣😂
    Still completely useless, cannot cast to anything blocked by Google play services, the last version that could cast without fault or Google warning and blocking was 16.14.34
    ‼️Before asking or posting anything, please read the first and second posts.‼️

YouTube Vanced

SrSEsV2.png

Vanced is a well-known modded version of the YouTube app with many features such as ad-blocking and background playback. Vanced also offers some extra features to enhance the user experience. The entire list is available below:

Features:

• YouTube Vanced IS NOT YouTube Premium
    • Blocks all YouTube ADs (some options are togglable)
    • Background playback feature
    • Force VP9(or HDR) or vice versa
    • Override Max Resolution
    • Pinch to Zoom on all devices
    • Casting togglable (can be forced off)
    • Togglable Theme (White/Dark/Black)
    • PiP (Android 8.0+)
    • Video window new or old style
    • Repeat video feature
    • Preferred Resolution & Speed feature
    • Swipe controls for Volume and Brightness
    • Sponsorblock integration
    • Tap to seek feature
    • Copy video link + with timestamps feature
    • New Logo by @Logan

Always check the official Vanced website or XDA thread when downloading. Other sites are fake, contain advertisements (possibly even malware), and have older versions.

Downloads:

If your network is down or the website isn't loading, you can download vanced manager from the GitHub page.

Alternative Mirrors for Older versions below v14.x releases:

Since YouTube v14.41.52, Google has moved to split APKs format. The Android package installer doesn't support Split apks yet, so we are now using Vanced manager for installing all vanced apps. The steps to use the vanced manager are below:

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Especially for MIUI, there's a separate guide that can be accessed using this link.

For Non-Root:
    1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.
    2. Open Vanced Manager and tap the blue arrow in the lower right corner.
    3. Begin installing Vanced microG. (This app is mandatory to install if you want to login with your Google account)
    4. Then install YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced), log in to your account and enjoy!
    For Root:
    1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.​
    2. Open Vanced manager and tap on the "Magisk" icon to grant root permissions.​
    3. Once you are in, begin installing YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced).​

Important information:

• Disabling "APK signature verification," which was previously required, is no longer needed.
    • The magisk version has been discontinued and removed from the magisk repository since Google has switched to Split APKs format. We replaced our root installation with vanced manager, which directly mounts vanced on top of Youtube in the /data/app directory, making it easier and faster than before.
    • Vanced will not block ads while casting since when you use the casting feature, it doesn't send the video from your phone to the Chromecast/TV. Instead, your phone acts like a remote controller for the youtube app in your Chromecast/TV. That is why the advertisement is displayed.

Known bugs:

• Purchasing items in the non-root version of the app causes the app to crash. It's most likely due to MicroG. However, for greater security, it is preferable to use the original YouTube app.
    • If your videos are lagging or the application starts to crash while watching live videos, please enable VP9 codec from codec override present under vanced settings. Google forced the ExoPlayer v2, which is highly experimental and unstable on unsupported devices.
    • As of v16.16.38, casting won't work due to an upstream microG bug.
    • On portrait/vertical videos, preferred quality options do not work.

Installation guide for old versions:

Non-Root:

1. Download and install the Vanced microG using the latest Vanced manager
    2. Download the necessary Vanced APK file using the old versions link above.
    3. Install the APK like you would for any other app.

Root:

1. Download the official TWRP installer found in the downloads above
    2. Download the suitable APK of the theme you want for your device (check your architecture using an app such as CPU-Z)
    3. Place the downloaded APK into a separate new folder with the TWRP installer zip you downloaded or inside the installer zip
    4. Uninstall all YouTube updates and disable auto-update in the play store (If you can completely uninstall the youtube application)
    5. Flash the installer in TWRP
    6. Profit!

Magisk:

There are a total of 2 ways to install the magisk version.
    • The first and most effective way is to install it via the Magisk app. Since we have discontinued the Magisk version and removed it from the magisk repository, you can get the last available magisk version using this link.
    • The second way is to place "Install via magisk.plz" alongside the official installer zip or enable magisk install in the settings.sh and flash via the magisk app.
    Note: Make sure you have uninstalled the stock YouTube app or at least uninstalled its updates below v14.21.54. A newer version will override the vanced installation, preventing you from seeing vanced in your app drawer.

Explanation of the (Ad)Vanced options of the official installer:

Vanced makes use of both settings.sh and plz files as parameters while installing.

Using the settings.sh:

• SEARCHFOLDER - Path where to search for iYTBP Apk's (must be a subfolder on sdcard!)
    • MAGINSTALL - Use magisk installation instead of root installation. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • DETACH - Detach Youtube from the play store to disable update notifications. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • ATTACH - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • UNINSTALL - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module (Possible Values: YES/NO)

Using the plz files: (Use only the ones you want)

(Place the downloaded file in the same folder as the official installer zip)
    • iYTBP_install_via_magisk.plz - Use magisk installation instead of root installation
    • iYTBP_detach_from_playstore.plz - Detach Youtube from play store to disable update notifications.
    • iYTBP_attach_to_playstore.plz - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached.
    • iYTBP_uninstall.plz - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module.

Thread Managed by @ZaneZam, @Razerman, @KevinX8 and @laura almeida

Social links

BUG Reports:

Steps to do before reporting a bug
    1. Do a search and see if it has already been reported
    2. Check that the bug is actually a Vanced bug and doesn't happen in the original YouTube.
    Steps to do when reporting a bug
    1. Make sure you are being enough descriptive of the problem.
    2. Take a logcat (Google search if you don't know how). Especially if the issue is a crash.
    3. Taking pictures of the problem doesn't hurt.
    4. If the report is vague (missing information), it will most likely just be ignored. If you are not going to show any effort in resolving the problem, why should I?

F.A.Q:

Q.Where did the normal(white) apk go??
    A. White is included in both versions by default as a primary theme. Simply choose the alternate theme you prefer for the night time then use it accordingly with your system theme.

Q. How to install updates?
    A. When using vanced manager, simply tap on the "update" button to begin updating your vanced. If you are installing an older version, just download the latest apk and install it as you previously did before.

Q. Do I need to re-install detach script for every new YouTube Vanced update?
    A. No!

Q. Can I install this as I normally install any other apk?
    A. Only the non-root version.

Q. Can I download videos with this?
    A. No (and you never will)! But the official YouTube Offline Video feature is working in Supported countries.

Q. Why is the <xyz> variant not available to download?
    A. We release 2 Unified builds of non-root, one with the stock youtube theme and another with an AMOLED friendly theme. Use the latest vanced manager and choose the theme and language you would like to install.

Q. Installation successful but YouTube is not showing up in launcher, why?
    A. If you are facing this issue that means you are not using vanced manager. Please use vanced manager to install vanced applications. If you are installing old versions of root variants, make sure the stock youtube app is uninstalled or at least you uninstalled its updates.

Q. Does the 'Crop to fit' feature work for S8 and S8+ users?
    A. Yes! It works on the rooted version but not in the non-root since the package name is changed. However, there is an alternative new Pinch to Zoom feature with basically the same functionality.

Q. Is history working?
    A. Yes! Make sure you whitelist *s.youtube.com in your ad blocker. And non-root users need to check that they are not using a brand account due to the MicroG bug. If you are, you need to merge the accounts to get the history working (YouTube Settings). The merging process will clean the current history.

Q. Does PIP mode works?
    A. Yes, from Android 8.0+ only!

Q. When will you release the new version?
    A. Usually within a couple of days after the official apk is available in apkmirror. But please don't ask for ETA!

Q. Does background playback download video?
    A. No, it does not. After going into background playback, you will only download audio so there will be much less data usage.

Q. I can't log in on Non-Root, I get stuck on the I agree page. What to do?
    A. If you are facing this issue, that means you are using older versions of vanced microG. Please update to the latest version using the latest vanced manager which can be downloaded via our official website. Links can be found in the first post.
    Downloads:

GDrive (All versions)
    Alternative Mirrors: AFH (rarely updated) Mediafire (only the latest)
    New site up https://vanced.azurewebsites.net/ with latest version of YouTube as base (13.10). Includes some bugfixes and other changes detailed on discord. At the time of writing this post apkmirror lacks apks for arm so you will have to wait a while until it has them and then we will be able to make arm root builds.
    New update is out v13.28.54 with following changes:
    - 13.28.53 Full width search bar fix
    - Translation support for more strings
    - HDR brightness bug fixed when using swipe controls
    - Auto repeat can now be linked to autoplay toggle
    - Top-Swipe paddig range added
    - Seek buttons fixed
    - COMPLETE REWORK of all mods for v13.27+ versions (many thx and all credits to @Razerman !!)