• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP][MOD][ROOT/NONROOT] YouTube Vanced Edition

Search This thread

vibecatalin

Jul 6, 2008
I find it weird that on the rooted phone it works, and on the non rooted it doesn't, so I think it has something to do with Google, or MicroG application

coeptisr

Jan 18, 2010
Lucky patcher is not to be discussed in XDA FORUMS. That app is done to steal from developers...and you post it in developers forum.

You don't need to replace apps if you don't know what you are doing. There is a TWRP script you need to run with apk in downloads folder. Use that one. Simple reason for your app to be deletion is probably data folder/registry mismatch with official youtube app.

Well.. I am sorry, I don't know. I try root and magisk version that doesn't work. I think I need to overcome mismatch situation.

speedingcheetah

Feb 25, 2011
Equestria
Sure it does. It lets you know that the source of your concern (description of update plans in op) was unfounded. That there are other factors involved in updates.

And because since the op was written, Google has gone ape$h!t with updates. So keeping up with them just for the sake of numbers no longer makes viable sense. The updates now are based on more factors. As outlined in my previous post (without the condescension of course since that part wasn't for you) updates are done if and when needed. Read it one more time, you'll see.

So fear not user, it's not dead.
Wasn't it just updated like a week ago (I think)?

" The updates now are based on more factors...updates are done if and when needed."

So....a broken main feature....that is broken on release of new app version, is not a thing worth considering pushing an update for??

If it was only a week since the last version, fine...give the dev time to post update (though a week is MORE than enough to fix Notifications most would think).

But its has been since Dec 21 2018. It is now Feb 7. A month and about 2 weeks. 48 days.
And one major official YT app version upgrade later.

I see nothing in previous posts as to a "fix" or workaround to get the broken things in current app version to work, as people keep implying so childishly only to link to someones else long winded ramblings of complaining as to why no updates ever second. ... instead of just posting "no there is no fix and no update or official word".

All that I see here in the last several pages and search is users with NO idea or association with the Vanced Team or actual app dev posting various twists on the "don't ask for update/eta..." that XDA is so famous for. I see nothing has changed since the years I was very active on here with ROMs and other development work with phones long forgotten and obsolete. ;)

Last edited:

sjamie

Aug 6, 2011
Have been read some last posts about broken notifications. It's strange it's not working for you because I get all notification on mine phone. Running Oreo 8.1
Its not stated every time....but it is on 9.0 Pie that notifications are broke..at least for me and many others.
The current Vanced app version on my old Nexus 5x with is on 8.1 work fine.
It must be a Pie issue because I do receive all notifications on my OnePlus 5 running stock Oreo 8.1 with xXx NoLimits Magisk ROM module.

nitinvaid

Using the magisk version last updated on Dec I think and from last few days frequently getting notifications to update when I don't want to

Attachments

• Screenshot_YouTube_20190207-225042.png
    Screenshot_YouTube_20190207-225042.png
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,042

Razerman

Jun 30, 2012
Didn't bother to read all the ranting but apparently the problem is with notifications and the lack of updates?

Now I don't know what happened with the notifications and why they don't work so I can't fix them. I haven't had time so really investigate and neither will I have for at least next 3-4 months. There has been a workaround to fix them for about a month though.
unknown.png

And the casting as far as I know is broken because MicroG doesn't support cast api v2 and Google removed support for older versions from the casting devices (nothing changed in the youtube app itself in that regard).

Now about the updates. What exactly is new in there that you need an update for? I've had the 14.04.51 installed for about two weeks and I've seen literally nothing new in there. I see Google is preparing some layout changes but they don't seem to be live yet (at least not for me). And I haven't seen anyone saying there is something new. So it would seem updating would only increase the version number, what's the point in wasting bandwidth for that?

speedingcheetah

Feb 25, 2011
Equestria
Didn't bother to read all the ranting but apparently the problem is with notifications and the lack of updates?

Now I don't know what happened with the notifications and why they don't work so I can't fix them. I haven't had time so really investigate and neither will I have for at least next 3-4 months. There has been a workaround to fix them for about a month though.
unknown.png

And the casting as far as I know is broken because MicroG doesn't support cast api v2 and Google removed support for older versions from the casting devices (nothing changed in the youtube app itself in that regard).

Now about the updates. What exactly is new in there that you need an update for? I've had the 14.04.51 installed for about two weeks and I've seen literally nothing new in there. I see Google is preparing some layout changes but they don't seem to be live yet (at least not for me). And I haven't seen anyone saying there is something new. So it would seem updating would only increase the version number, what's the point in wasting bandwidth for that?

Thanks for update. :D Greatly appreciate it! Thats exactly and all that I was looking for and asking for.
A post from a proven part of the dev team.

Unfortunately, I have tried that and it did not resolve the notification issue on Pie on my Pixel 3.

Good insight as to what is causing the cast issue.

Also good to know about the latest official YT app and not any relevant changes on the coding side that would otherwise merit a change in Vanced.
Despite the numerous other sources that simply tell me that Google is radically changing the app in some unnamed fashion....guess things are not fully implemented then.

As far as an app update goes....we would assume that an update would be needed and be the reason to push an update...to fix the notification and cast issues. But if is that bad an issue that requires more than a quick glance and change, and easy fix....then so be it. But being in the dark on such things, is aggravating for everyone involved.

Again, thanks for the update and the work that has been put into the app to date.

Now we all know that is will be several months before anything is done and I also thus imply from your statement that, in the meantime, should YT changed something and thus Vanced breaks......not to expect an update to fix things any time soon because you are busy and unable to take the time, which is perfectly understandable, albeit, disappointing.

That settles that then. And now we all can unsubscribe from this thread as not to be bothered with further "this dont work when is update" posts in our inbox, come back in several months and see if any new news, or just move on to some other app.

Last edited:
Reactions: shaunnicho

Logan

Retired Forum Moderator
The drama is over now? Huh
It has been told 200 times and gets answered daily that non root version has a few limitations, cast and notification issues are related to microG and MicroG's development have been dead since couple of years.
- Notification's workaround did the job to a huge amount of non root users and for a small amount nope.
- Cast workaround been posted too.
- Updating the app everytime google publishes updates won't fix it.
Either using root version which is running perfect or stick to what do we have (nonroot).
- The new cast api and the way logging in and the verification been done in server that allows pushing notifications, we have tried to track it all down but no chance.

- Otherwise all apps which runs using microG would be affected with the same issues.

- The app was made to fulfill the dev's needs without any intention to make money, Flaming and fighting to increase the version numbers is meaningless.

- The team stated that updates will only be published when it's needed so assuming the project is dead means nothing, if we have decided that the development is stopped already the thread would be closed and huge red text in the OP saying its stopped months ago.

- Lets be realistic and move forward the good point.
If in the latter posts i see breaches of xda rules some serious actions would be taken.

Logan, XDA Moderator

Last edited:

madbat99

Mar 1, 2014

Top Liked Posts

I ended up downgrading to the previous version from the newest version. The lack of a casting button really bothered me. I didn't like having to deal with the original YouTube app which was full of ads just to get the casting feature to work which is why I was using Vance to begin with. I probably will not be updating the app anymore until that casting feature is eventually gets resolved for non root
    Hi Mikeprius.
    Try Smart YouTube TV.
    Works great. Loads up Normal YouTube, sets up same Login, Preferred, Tracks what you are watching. NO BLOODY ADS, can stream for Hours. NOT ONE ADVERT, NO SCAMMING CRAP,
    CAN WATCH MULTIPLE FULL MUSIC CONCEŔTS IN HD ON BIG SCREEN, WITHOUT A DISRUPTION.
    All play lists available. GREAT EXPERIENCE.
    Cheers, ENJOY
    Following the question of a member, there have been 6 posts going off-topic regarding a question that could have been answered by searching the thread in the first place.
    Do you see where I am getting at?
    Not answering the question led to more clutter, which is against the rules as well.

You either ignore the post, answer it properly or report it if you deem it necessary, then a Moderator will take a look at it.

Please keep that in mind and let's get back on topic, shall we?

Good day 😊
    Can confirm, it's definitely more laggy and has stronger appetite now
    Hey vanced has been consuming more power then normal YouTube app has anyone noticed that
    Please be aware that there are root and non-root YT version (you should have seen that when installing), with different architecture.
    Comments without specifying what do you talk about are pretty much useless.
    Also, if non-root version consumpts too much power, take attention does the app consumpts or MicroG.
    Btw, it's already observed and commented, take time to read the thread back and/or use search
    (Resolved) - [New behavior observed - Automatic inplace video play]

I am running non-root Vanced app v16.20.35 on Android 11 on my smartphone.

Since yesterday I have noticed a new behavior in the app and that is it automatically starts playing the video inplace. Once the video is finished the screen is automatically refreshed and the top most video on the screen starts playing inplace. Kindly see the attached image and the circled part. That equalizer type graphics was not there earlier. Also the video time now goes to zero.

Does anyone know is this something youtube introduced recently. Do note that the feature may be experimental and may not be available everywhere. I do not have YouTube app on my smartphone (disabled) to test it on my own.

When you open the app for the first time, everything is fine. As soon as you touch the screen for scrolling or anything else then usually the middle video (sometimes it is topmost video, I guess it depends on the focus) automatically starts playing inplace. I could not find any new setting to control it.

The current way to stop it when the video starts playing inplace, then click it. It opens up like it used to do. Then stop it and minimize it if you want to browse/scroll the videos above or below this video on the page you are coming from. Or scroll down the see the videos available on the current page. Now the videos will not play inplace.

Please do let me know if you need more information.
    The issue is resolved now. I have found the setting to stop this inplace video play.

The setting is present in YouTube settings>General>muted playback on home and feeds

For some reasons I have set this option to "always on" and forgotten about it and hence video was being played without sound automatically.

Thanks 🙏
    I asked about the status of Vanced Guide on the Vanced Discord, a mod said it was pulled by Google. No surprise...
    I ended up downgrading to the previous version from the newest version. The lack of a casting button really bothered me. I didn't like having to deal with the original YouTube app which was full of ads just to get the casting feature to work which is why I was using Vance to begin with. I probably will not be updating the app anymore until that casting feature is eventually gets resolved for non root
    Hi Mikeprius.
    Try Smart YouTube TV.
    Works great. Loads up Normal YouTube, sets up same Login, Preferred, Tracks what you are watching. NO BLOODY ADS, can stream for Hours. NOT ONE ADVERT, NO SCAMMING CRAP,
    CAN WATCH MULTIPLE FULL MUSIC CONCEŔTS IN HD ON BIG SCREEN, WITHOUT A DISRUPTION.
    All play lists available. GREAT EXPERIENCE.
    Cheers, ENJOY
    ‼️Before asking or posting anything, please read the first and second posts.‼️

YouTube Vanced

SrSEsV2.png

Vanced is a well-known modded version of the YouTube app with many features such as ad-blocking and background playback. Vanced also offers some extra features to enhance the user experience. The entire list is available below:

Features:

• YouTube Vanced IS NOT YouTube Premium
    • Blocks all YouTube ADs (some options are togglable)
    • Background playback feature
    • Force VP9(or HDR) or vice versa
    • Override Max Resolution
    • Pinch to Zoom on all devices
    • Casting togglable (can be forced off)
    • Togglable Theme (White/Dark/Black)
    • PiP (Android 8.0+)
    • Video window new or old style
    • Repeat video feature
    • Preferred Resolution & Speed feature
    • Swipe controls for Volume and Brightness
    • Sponsorblock integration
    • Tap to seek feature
    • Copy video link + with timestamps feature
    • New Logo by @Logan

Always check the official Vanced website or XDA thread when downloading. Other sites are fake, contain advertisements (possibly even malware), and have older versions.

Downloads:

If your network is down or the website isn't loading, you can download vanced manager from the GitHub page.

Alternative Mirrors for Older versions below v14.x releases:

Since YouTube v14.41.52, Google has moved to split APKs format. The Android package installer doesn't support Split apks yet, so we are now using Vanced manager for installing all vanced apps. The steps to use the vanced manager are below:

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Especially for MIUI, there's a separate guide that can be accessed using this link.

For Non-Root:
    1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.
    2. Open Vanced Manager and tap the blue arrow in the lower right corner.
    3. Begin installing Vanced microG. (This app is mandatory to install if you want to login with your Google account)
    4. Then install YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced), log in to your account and enjoy!
    For Root:
    1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.​
    2. Open Vanced manager and tap on the "Magisk" icon to grant root permissions.​
    3. Once you are in, begin installing YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced).​

Important information:

• Disabling "APK signature verification," which was previously required, is no longer needed.
    • The magisk version has been discontinued and removed from the magisk repository since Google has switched to Split APKs format. We replaced our root installation with vanced manager, which directly mounts vanced on top of Youtube in the /data/app directory, making it easier and faster than before.
    • Vanced will not block ads while casting since when you use the casting feature, it doesn't send the video from your phone to the Chromecast/TV. Instead, your phone acts like a remote controller for the youtube app in your Chromecast/TV. That is why the advertisement is displayed.

Known bugs:

• Purchasing items in the non-root version of the app causes the app to crash. It's most likely due to MicroG. However, for greater security, it is preferable to use the original YouTube app.
    • If your videos are lagging or the application starts to crash while watching live videos, please enable VP9 codec from codec override present under vanced settings. Google forced the ExoPlayer v2, which is highly experimental and unstable on unsupported devices.
    • As of v16.16.38, casting won't work due to an upstream microG bug.
    • On portrait/vertical videos, preferred quality options do not work.

Installation guide for old versions:

Non-Root:

1. Download and install the Vanced microG using the latest Vanced manager
    2. Download the necessary Vanced APK file using the old versions link above.
    3. Install the APK like you would for any other app.

Root:

1. Download the official TWRP installer found in the downloads above
    2. Download the suitable APK of the theme you want for your device (check your architecture using an app such as CPU-Z)
    3. Place the downloaded APK into a separate new folder with the TWRP installer zip you downloaded or inside the installer zip
    4. Uninstall all YouTube updates and disable auto-update in the play store (If you can completely uninstall the youtube application)
    5. Flash the installer in TWRP
    6. Profit!

Magisk:

There are a total of 2 ways to install the magisk version.
    • The first and most effective way is to install it via the Magisk app. Since we have discontinued the Magisk version and removed it from the magisk repository, you can get the last available magisk version using this link.
    • The second way is to place "Install via magisk.plz" alongside the official installer zip or enable magisk install in the settings.sh and flash via the magisk app.
    Note: Make sure you have uninstalled the stock YouTube app or at least uninstalled its updates below v14.21.54. A newer version will override the vanced installation, preventing you from seeing vanced in your app drawer.

Explanation of the (Ad)Vanced options of the official installer:

Vanced makes use of both settings.sh and plz files as parameters while installing.

Using the settings.sh:

• SEARCHFOLDER - Path where to search for iYTBP Apk's (must be a subfolder on sdcard!)
    • MAGINSTALL - Use magisk installation instead of root installation. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • DETACH - Detach Youtube from the play store to disable update notifications. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • ATTACH - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • UNINSTALL - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module (Possible Values: YES/NO)

Using the plz files: (Use only the ones you want)

(Place the downloaded file in the same folder as the official installer zip)
    • iYTBP_install_via_magisk.plz - Use magisk installation instead of root installation
    • iYTBP_detach_from_playstore.plz - Detach Youtube from play store to disable update notifications.
    • iYTBP_attach_to_playstore.plz - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached.
    • iYTBP_uninstall.plz - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module.

Thread Managed by @ZaneZam, @Razerman, @KevinX8 and @laura almeida

Social links

BUG Reports:

Steps to do before reporting a bug
    1. Do a search and see if it has already been reported
    2. Check that the bug is actually a Vanced bug and doesn't happen in the original YouTube.
    Steps to do when reporting a bug
    1. Make sure you are being enough descriptive of the problem.
    2. Take a logcat (Google search if you don't know how). Especially if the issue is a crash.
    3. Taking pictures of the problem doesn't hurt.
    4. If the report is vague (missing information), it will most likely just be ignored. If you are not going to show any effort in resolving the problem, why should I?

F.A.Q:

Q.Where did the normal(white) apk go??
    A. White is included in both versions by default as a primary theme. Simply choose the alternate theme you prefer for the night time then use it accordingly with your system theme.

Q. How to install updates?
    A. When using vanced manager, simply tap on the "update" button to begin updating your vanced. If you are installing an older version, just download the latest apk and install it as you previously did before.

Q. Do I need to re-install detach script for every new YouTube Vanced update?
    A. No!

Q. Can I install this as I normally install any other apk?
    A. Only the non-root version.

Q. Can I download videos with this?
    A. No (and you never will)! But the official YouTube Offline Video feature is working in Supported countries.

Q. Why is the <xyz> variant not available to download?
    A. We release 2 Unified builds of non-root, one with the stock youtube theme and another with an AMOLED friendly theme. Use the latest vanced manager and choose the theme and language you would like to install.

Q. Installation successful but YouTube is not showing up in launcher, why?
    A. If you are facing this issue that means you are not using vanced manager. Please use vanced manager to install vanced applications. If you are installing old versions of root variants, make sure the stock youtube app is uninstalled or at least you uninstalled its updates.

Q. Does the 'Crop to fit' feature work for S8 and S8+ users?
    A. Yes! It works on the rooted version but not in the non-root since the package name is changed. However, there is an alternative new Pinch to Zoom feature with basically the same functionality.

Q. Is history working?
    A. Yes! Make sure you whitelist *s.youtube.com in your ad blocker. And non-root users need to check that they are not using a brand account due to the MicroG bug. If you are, you need to merge the accounts to get the history working (YouTube Settings). The merging process will clean the current history.

Q. Does PIP mode works?
    A. Yes, from Android 8.0+ only!

Q. When will you release the new version?
    A. Usually within a couple of days after the official apk is available in apkmirror. But please don't ask for ETA!

Q. Does background playback download video?
    A. No, it does not. After going into background playback, you will only download audio so there will be much less data usage.

Q. I can't log in on Non-Root, I get stuck on the I agree page. What to do?
    A. If you are facing this issue, that means you are using older versions of vanced microG. Please update to the latest version using the latest vanced manager which can be downloaded via our official website. Links can be found in the first post.
    Downloads:

GDrive (All versions)
    Alternative Mirrors: AFH (rarely updated) Mediafire (only the latest)
    New site up https://vanced.azurewebsites.net/ with latest version of YouTube as base (13.10). Includes some bugfixes and other changes detailed on discord. At the time of writing this post apkmirror lacks apks for arm so you will have to wait a while until it has them and then we will be able to make arm root builds.
    New update is out v13.28.54 with following changes:
    - 13.28.53 Full width search bar fix
    - Translation support for more strings
    - HDR brightness bug fixed when using swipe controls
    - Auto repeat can now be linked to autoplay toggle
    - Top-Swipe paddig range added
    - Seek buttons fixed
    - COMPLETE REWORK of all mods for v13.27+ versions (many thx and all credits to @Razerman !!)