• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][MOD][ROOT/NONROOT] YouTube Vanced Edition

Search This thread

Anonaru

Feb 10, 2016
Hey! Are we supposed to log in on our main Google account with this app? Is there any known risk by using it? I think it could be a great entry to the FAQ!

You can! The root versions will let you log in without issue, the non-root requires MicroG. I've been using ad bypassing and background playback on my main YT / Google account since the mods were available, and haven't had any issues. Don't believe the workarounds that they use pose any threat to your account

Edit: Whoever decided to make YT Vanced +updates available through XDA Labs deserves a Nobel Prize, man you guys rock!

Reactions: nick491

Team Vanced

Mar 3, 2018
vancedapp.com
I'm using latest PitchBlack, the dark theme setting is off.
I don't think it's an issue with the theme, considering how popular and regularly updated it is.

You don't think but you are not sure. Any chance you could test it with the original YouTube app? It's dark in the original YouTube app, it's dark in the modded YouTube app, it's themed with some other substratum theme as reported by @Zgadnijcie , so it's not looking very good for your subs theme.

TrumpCard

Jul 10, 2016
I'm wondering if there would be a way to enable an immersive mode setting for the app. I use the dark theme but the white nav bar on the S8 sticks out like a sore thumb.

Grander0

Oct 16, 2016
OnePlus 7 Pro
You don't think but you are not sure. Any chance you could test it with the original YouTube app? It's dark in the original YouTube app, it's dark in the modded YouTube app, it's themed with some other substratum theme as reported by @Zgadnijcie , so it's not looking very good for your subs theme.
Well it's not looking much better, but it is at least readable. On Vanced, the fonts are white.

Still not fond of getting blinded by pure white though so I'll stick with Vanced's black theme.

Attachments

• Screenshot_YouTube_20180324-083607.jpg
    Screenshot_YouTube_20180324-083607.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 878
  • Screenshot_YouTube_20180323-203834.jpg
    Screenshot_YouTube_20180323-203834.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 874
Last edited:
Reactions: Nikolatas

paradoxxman

May 6, 2017
Hi, I have a question, app is working flawlessly on phone but have some issues after installing it on a rooted TV-BOX (mekool KIII Pro) with AmlogicS912 and Android 7.1.2 on it; the box is tied with a HDMI 2.0 cable to a 4k TV, so I don't need that script to add a 4k resolution to build.prop to be able to watch 2160p videos like on phones (setprop sys.display-size 3840x2160); the problem is that when I open a 2160p video from YT, it has some strange green artefacts and then the whole box freezes so I need to unplug it's power to be able to recover; I tried to force VP9 codec playback in the settings of this app but also with no luck; up to 1440p resolution videos work without problems but 2160p ones work randomly, mostly freezing the box; after a fresh install of this app 2160p is working for a few videos but as soon as I reboot the TV Box it's a no go;
using a youtube app made for android TVs I have no freezes but I can't control that app with mouse and keyboard, just with the boxes own remote control;
any advices what am I doing wrong? I tried the root and also the non-root method, thanks

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    geez, just don't reply, it's not like im begging for an answer

what an annoying solution
    It's a bit drastic but it's still a valid solution. Thing with root version issues is that you can always go for non-root as well. But if you're feeling adventurous you'll find the apk (bundle) files needed for manual install on APKMirror.
    Is there a working method in 2021 to prevent the constant uninstallation of vanced after an Android restart?

Since June until today I had 16.16.38 and somehow managed to (unfortunately forgot how. I think I did it via (LP+SAI) - but Vanced no longer offers apk for rooted Android ... oh yeah) that Vanced after the restart is not uninstalled. Today I thought I would update to 16.29.39, because I mistakenly believed that Vanced would finally have fixed this problem. Well, what can I say... Vanced is now uninstalled after every restart. Goddamn it, I'm going to have to grapple with this annoying ''feature'' again.

-LineageOS rooted, Android 9
    I had the same issue. Fixed it by editing vanced.sh to change sleep 1 to sleep 5. (So in a root terminal
    Bash:
    sed -i 's/sleep 1/sleep 5/g' /data/adb/service.d/vanced.sh
    )
    why isn't vanced project pushing update to enable download option ?
    devs, can we expect it ?
    Vanced is not on the playstore, for obvious reasons. The playstore is the standard android method of pushing updates. As for "in-app" updates, this is a mod of the existing apk not a full recompile from the proprietary source. And to be honest, I personally wait and watch whats happening on this thread before I venture out and install the bleeding edge update.

NINJAD! on the video download option...
    Thanks, so should i install Vanced manager instead of magick module due to easier future update?
    You can go either way. i5lee8bit has been keeping his mod that I linked you up-to-date in a fairly timely fashion. But of course he does it after Vanced releases their version. Both are fairly easy to update, in my opinion. Just depends on your preference.
    It's a bit drastic but it's still a valid solution. Thing with root version issues is that you can always go for non-root as well. But if you're feeling adventurous you'll find the apk (bundle) files needed for manual install on APKMirror.
    I find non root suitable for my needs.

I use adb to disable YouTube original on a new install. Once done it doesn't interfere with Vance.

I must say, my use of YouTube in limited to playing various files in the background. I don't use any other features.
    ‼️Before asking or posting anything, please read the first and second posts.‼️

YouTube Vanced

SrSEsV2.png

Vanced is a well-known modded version of the YouTube app with many features such as ad-blocking and background playback. Vanced also offers some extra features to enhance the user experience. The entire list is available below:

Features:

• YouTube Vanced IS NOT YouTube Premium
    • Blocks all YouTube ADs (some options are togglable)
    • Background playback feature
    • Force VP9(or HDR) or vice versa
    • Override Max Resolution
    • Pinch to Zoom on all devices
    • Casting togglable (can be forced off)
    • Togglable Theme (White/Dark/Black)
    • PiP (Android 8.0+)
    • Video window new or old style
    • Repeat video feature
    • Preferred Resolution & Speed feature
    • Swipe controls for Volume and Brightness
    • Sponsorblock integration
    • Tap to seek feature
    • Copy video link + with timestamps feature
    • New Logo by @Logan

Always check the official Vanced website or XDA thread when downloading. Other sites are fake, contain advertisements (possibly even malware), and have older versions.

Downloads:

If your network is down or the website isn't loading, you can download vanced manager from the GitHub page.

Alternative Mirrors for Older versions below v14.x releases:

Since YouTube v14.41.52, Google has moved to split APKs format. The Android package installer doesn't support Split apks yet, so we are now using Vanced manager for installing all vanced apps. The steps to use the vanced manager are below:

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Especially for MIUI, there's a separate guide that can be accessed using this link.

For Non-Root:
    1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.
    2. Open Vanced Manager and tap the blue arrow in the lower right corner.
    3. Begin installing Vanced microG. (This app is mandatory to install if you want to login with your Google account)
    4. Then install YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced), log in to your account and enjoy!
    For Root:
    1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.​
    2. Open Vanced manager and tap on the "Magisk" icon to grant root permissions.​
    3. Once you are in, begin installing YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced).​

Important information:

• Disabling "APK signature verification," which was previously required, is no longer needed.
    • The magisk version has been discontinued and removed from the magisk repository since Google has switched to Split APKs format. We replaced our root installation with vanced manager, which directly mounts vanced on top of Youtube in the /data/app directory, making it easier and faster than before.
    • Vanced will not block ads while casting since when you use the casting feature, it doesn't send the video from your phone to the Chromecast/TV. Instead, your phone acts like a remote controller for the youtube app in your Chromecast/TV. That is why the advertisement is displayed.

Known bugs:

• Purchasing items in the non-root version of the app causes the app to crash. It's most likely due to MicroG. However, for greater security, it is preferable to use the original YouTube app.
    • If your videos are lagging or the application starts to crash while watching live videos, please enable VP9 codec from codec override present under vanced settings. Google forced the ExoPlayer v2, which is highly experimental and unstable on unsupported devices.
    • As of v16.16.38, casting won't work due to an upstream microG bug.
    • On portrait/vertical videos, preferred quality options do not work.

Installation guide for old versions:

Non-Root:

1. Download and install the Vanced microG using the latest Vanced manager
    2. Download the necessary Vanced APK file using the old versions link above.
    3. Install the APK like you would for any other app.

Root:

1. Download the official TWRP installer found in the downloads above
    2. Download the suitable APK of the theme you want for your device (check your architecture using an app such as CPU-Z)
    3. Place the downloaded APK into a separate new folder with the TWRP installer zip you downloaded or inside the installer zip
    4. Uninstall all YouTube updates and disable auto-update in the play store (If you can completely uninstall the youtube application)
    5. Flash the installer in TWRP
    6. Profit!

Magisk:

There are a total of 2 ways to install the magisk version.
    • The first and most effective way is to install it via the Magisk app. Since we have discontinued the Magisk version and removed it from the magisk repository, you can get the last available magisk version using this link.
    • The second way is to place "Install via magisk.plz" alongside the official installer zip or enable magisk install in the settings.sh and flash via the magisk app.
    Note: Make sure you have uninstalled the stock YouTube app or at least uninstalled its updates below v14.21.54. A newer version will override the vanced installation, preventing you from seeing vanced in your app drawer.

Explanation of the (Ad)Vanced options of the official installer:

Vanced makes use of both settings.sh and plz files as parameters while installing.

Using the settings.sh:

• SEARCHFOLDER - Path where to search for iYTBP Apk's (must be a subfolder on sdcard!)
    • MAGINSTALL - Use magisk installation instead of root installation. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • DETACH - Detach Youtube from the play store to disable update notifications. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • ATTACH - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • UNINSTALL - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module (Possible Values: YES/NO)

Using the plz files: (Use only the ones you want)

(Place the downloaded file in the same folder as the official installer zip)
    • iYTBP_install_via_magisk.plz - Use magisk installation instead of root installation
    • iYTBP_detach_from_playstore.plz - Detach Youtube from play store to disable update notifications.
    • iYTBP_attach_to_playstore.plz - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached.
    • iYTBP_uninstall.plz - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module.

Thread Managed by @ZaneZam, @Razerman, @KevinX8 and @laura almeida

Social links

BUG Reports:

Steps to do before reporting a bug
    1. Do a search and see if it has already been reported
    2. Check that the bug is actually a Vanced bug and doesn't happen in the original YouTube.
    Steps to do when reporting a bug
    1. Make sure you are being enough descriptive of the problem.
    2. Take a logcat (Google search if you don't know how). Especially if the issue is a crash.
    3. Taking pictures of the problem doesn't hurt.
    4. If the report is vague (missing information), it will most likely just be ignored. If you are not going to show any effort in resolving the problem, why should I?

F.A.Q:

Q.Where did the normal(white) apk go??
    A. White is included in both versions by default as a primary theme. Simply choose the alternate theme you prefer for the night time then use it accordingly with your system theme.

Q. How to install updates?
    A. When using vanced manager, simply tap on the "update" button to begin updating your vanced. If you are installing an older version, just download the latest apk and install it as you previously did before.

Q. Do I need to re-install detach script for every new YouTube Vanced update?
    A. No!

Q. Can I install this as I normally install any other apk?
    A. Only the non-root version.

Q. Can I download videos with this?
    A. No (and you never will)! But the official YouTube Offline Video feature is working in Supported countries.

Q. Why is the <xyz> variant not available to download?
    A. We release 2 Unified builds of non-root, one with the stock youtube theme and another with an AMOLED friendly theme. Use the latest vanced manager and choose the theme and language you would like to install.

Q. Installation successful but YouTube is not showing up in launcher, why?
    A. If you are facing this issue that means you are not using vanced manager. Please use vanced manager to install vanced applications. If you are installing old versions of root variants, make sure the stock youtube app is uninstalled or at least you uninstalled its updates.

Q. Does the 'Crop to fit' feature work for S8 and S8+ users?
    A. Yes! It works on the rooted version but not in the non-root since the package name is changed. However, there is an alternative new Pinch to Zoom feature with basically the same functionality.

Q. Is history working?
    A. Yes! Make sure you whitelist *s.youtube.com in your ad blocker. And non-root users need to check that they are not using a brand account due to the MicroG bug. If you are, you need to merge the accounts to get the history working (YouTube Settings). The merging process will clean the current history.

Q. Does PIP mode works?
    A. Yes, from Android 8.0+ only!

Q. When will you release the new version?
    A. Usually within a couple of days after the official apk is available in apkmirror. But please don't ask for ETA!

Q. Does background playback download video?
    A. No, it does not. After going into background playback, you will only download audio so there will be much less data usage.

Q. I can't log in on Non-Root, I get stuck on the I agree page. What to do?
    A. If you are facing this issue, that means you are using older versions of vanced microG. Please update to the latest version using the latest vanced manager which can be downloaded via our official website. Links can be found in the first post.
    Downloads:

GDrive (All versions)
    Alternative Mirrors: AFH (rarely updated) Mediafire (only the latest)
    New site up https://vanced.azurewebsites.net/ with latest version of YouTube as base (13.10). Includes some bugfixes and other changes detailed on discord. At the time of writing this post apkmirror lacks apks for arm so you will have to wait a while until it has them and then we will be able to make arm root builds.
    New update is out v13.28.54 with following changes:
    - 13.28.53 Full width search bar fix
    - Translation support for more strings
    - HDR brightness bug fixed when using swipe controls
    - Auto repeat can now be linked to autoplay toggle
    - Top-Swipe paddig range added
    - Seek buttons fixed
    - COMPLETE REWORK of all mods for v13.27+ versions (many thx and all credits to @Razerman !!)