[APP][MOD][ROOT/NONROOT] YouTube Vanced Edition

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Attached.
I did. I've uninstalled it reinstalled, deactivated and reactivated etc. Still doesn't get rid of YouTube :(
Per log everything is ok.
Let's see if you have YT somewhere else (on Data)

If you have Vanced stuff in /data/adb, pls redo step (1) - if not skip

Redo step (2): Uninstall YouTube from Settings, Apps

Use MiXplorer (or some good root explorer) and delete any folder under /data/app that has com.google.android.youtube in the name

Then use Packet Manager from Playstore, search for You or Tube or YouTube and post a screenshot from App full details / General to see Source Dir

cm2003

Jun 18, 2012
Per log everything is ok.
Let's see if you have YT somewhere else (on Data)

If you have Vanced stuff in /data/adb, pls redo step (1) - if not skip

Redo step (2): Uninstall YouTube from Settings, Apps

Use MiXplorer (or some good root explorer) and delete any folder under /data/app that has com.google.android.youtube in the name

Then use Packet Manager from Playstore, search for You or Tube or YouTube and post a screenshot from App full details / General to see Source Dir
Step 1 I still got nothing in those folders
Step 2 done (couldn't uninstall though)
Step 3 done
Step 4 I'm not sure if this is what your were looking for? See screenshot attached.

In the meantime I also tried another debloater module. I was able to find YouTube within the menu and uninstall it. After the reboot it still shows in the folder (using mixplorer). Checking the menu of the script is gone though...
It's so odd and annoying :(

Attachments

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Step 1 I still got nothing in those folders
Step 2 done (couldn't uninstall though)
Step 3 done
Step 4 I'm not sure if this is what your were looking for? See screenshot attached.

In the meantime I also tried another debloater module. I was able to find YouTube within the menu and uninstall it. After the reboot it still shows in the folder (using mixplorer). Checking the menu of the script is gone though...
It's so odd and annoying :(
Problem is in step (2), you needed to mention earlier

We could check tomorrow further

cm2003

Jun 18, 2012
Problem is in step (2), you needed to mention earlier

We could check tomorrow further
Well I've been able to remove it using Alpha Backup. It's gone from all places (system/apps, my drawer, /data/app), just staying at /product/app (or system/product/app, which appears to be a symlink or something?). But even with it being removed from all places, the debloater still can't get rid of the apk in that place :( Really don't know why :(

garylawwd

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Aug 25, 2017
Cork
Well I've been able to remove it using Alpha Backup. It's gone from all places (system/apps, my drawer, /data/app), just staying at /product/app (or system/product/app, which appears to be a symlink or something?). But even with it being removed from all places, the debloater still can't get rid of the apk in that place :( Really don't know why :(
Using MiXplorer and root I just deleted the the app from /product/app and was able to install the rooted version without any issues and it works great. This is on android 11

garylawwd

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Aug 25, 2017
Cork
Doesn't work for me unfortunately :(

See screenshot attached.

(It says no elements deleted)
I just tried that on my OnePlus 7t pro running latest Android 11 beta and it fails to delete it every time.

Root access is granted etc
Strange, I'm not going to pretend that I know why this doesn't work for you (because I don't have a clue) but an alternative method, if you have it installed, would be using your custom recovery ie twrp or whatever to remove that folder and reboot.
Other than that I can only think of root uninstallers but most of them leave remnants of an app behind which will cause errors when trying to install vanced (as you kinda already know)
Sorry this isn't really helpful but I hope it will work for you.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Doesn't work for me unfortunately :(
See screenshot attached.
(It says no elements deleted)
Strange, I'm not going to pretend that I know why this doesn't work for you (because I don't have a clue) but an alternative method, if you have it installed, would be using your custom recovery ie twrp or whatever to remove that folder and reboot.
Other than that I can only think of root uninstallers but most of them leave remnants of an app behind which will cause errors when trying to install vanced (as you kinda already know)
Sorry this isn't really helpful but I hope it will work for you.
If System as root (SAR) is read only ,then no MiXPlorer, even not TWRP can write/delete to /system, /product, /vendor, etc

Apparently you @garylawwd don't have SAR read only (if you don't have A10 or A11 you probably don't even have System As Root, but @cm2003 has A11 with SAR read-only)

Go to /vendor/etc and find a file named fstab.* (e.g. fstab.qcom for Qualcom chipsets)

Open (it's textual file) and find definitions for your file systems.
If / or /system is declared as ro=read only, then you CANNOT write or delete (you could only if you reformat the whole SAR - but that goes far beyound rooting)

You can google about, you can also find about in the Magisk documentation on its Github - that is the reason why Magisk provides systemless root - changes are not performed directly to /system but instead Magisk dynamically mounts the changes to /system at the time of booting

That's e.g. how Systemless hosts works - AdAway does not write changes directly to /system/etc/hosts but to /data/modules/hosts/system/etc/hosts, and on every reboot Magisk mounts the hosts file from /data/... to /system/...

Attached screenshot from my Mate 9 with EMUI 9.1
Although A9, /system is ro = read only

The second screenshot is fstab.qcom from my Xiaomi Mi 9T, A11 (Xiaomi.eu beta) where the whole root / that is mounted to /system is ro=read only (of course, /data is its own filesystem read-write)

Attachments

Last edited:

cm2003

Jun 18, 2012
If System as root (SAR) is read only ,then no MiXPlorer, even not TWRP can write/delete to /system, /product, /vendor, etc

Apparently you @garylawwd don't have SAR read only (if you don't have A10 or A11 you probably don't even have System As Root, but @cm2003 has A11 with SAR read-only)

Go to /vendor/etc and find a file named fstab.* (e.g. fstab.qcom for Qualcom chipsets)

Open (it's textual file) and find definitions for your file systems.
If / or /system is declared as ro=read only, then you CANNOT write or delete (you could only if you reformat the whole SAR - but that goes far beyound rooting)

You can google about, you can also find about in the Magisk documentation on its Github - that is the reason why Magisk provides systemless root - changes are not performed directly to /system but instead Magisk dynamically mounts the changes to /system at the time of booting

That's e.g. how Systemless hosts works - AdAway does not write changes directly to /system/etc/hosts but to /data/modules/hosts/system/etc/hosts, and on every reboot Magisk mounts the hosts file from /data/... to /system/...

Attached screenshot from my Mate 9 with EMUI 9.1
Although A9, /system is ro = read only

The second screenshot is fstab.qcom from my Xiaomi Mi 9T, A11 (Xiaomi.eu beta) where the whole root / that is mounted to /system is ro=read only (of course, /data is its own filesystem read-write)
Just checked mine. Mine is all ro.

Does this mean I got no chance of getting rid of YouTube? :)

Surfinette

May 23, 2010
To all people using a rooted phone, you really don't have to use the rooted version of YTV. The non-rooted version works just fine and you just have to freeze the original YT app to just not be bothered with two YT apps on your phone (they don't have the same signature, so can even run in parallel and the the original YT can be updated without messing up with YTV. It is just very inconvenient to have both running at the same time, hence the recommendation to freeze the original YT).

I notice that most messages complaining here about the YTV app are about the rooted version of the app. IMHO, TeamVanced should just stop with the rooted version altogether, and there would be much more happy users of this wonderful app.

PhoneTechShop

Feb 7, 2019
To all people using a rooted phone, you really don't have to use the rooted version of YTV. The non-rooted version works just fine and you just have to freeze the original YT app to just not be bothered with two YT apps on your phone (they don't have the same signature, so can even run in parallel and the the original YT can be updated without messing up with YTV. It is just very inconvenient to have both running at the same time, hence the recommendation to freeze the original YT).

I notice that most messages complaining here about the YTV app are about the rooted version of the app. IMHO, TeamVanced should just stop with the rooted version altogether, and there would be much more happy users of this wonderful app.
Exactly I tried to explain here dum dums...
But even freezing is just not enough
Just simply run "all in one tool" and wipe all unnecessary apps

Attachments

Spannaa

Recognized Contributor / Themer
Sep 13, 2010
Cardiff
spannaa.com

The rooted version has the same package name as the original YouTube so ALL links to YouTube videos open in Vanced.

The non-rooted version has a different package name so not all links open in Vanced.

Not sure the Vanced team should discontinue the rooted version just because some users can't manage to get it working or detach it from the playstore.

I prefer to have the choice.

Guller

Dec 20, 2012
Heusden, Limburg
I had the same issue, not being able to install Vanced. I downloaded Termux and Debloater magisk module. First command was "su" and the second one "debloat". Searched for the youtube apk, uninstalled it and rebooted the phone. Installed vanced via the manager and it works

Reactions: stiggerby

bartleby999

Jan 5, 2015
To all people using a rooted phone, you really don't have to use the rooted version of YTV.
Root Vanced is essentially official YouTube in every way. All links will open natively, Google Assistant is integrated and there's no need for MicroG. It's far superior to non-root Vanced.

please add setting video speed
Already exists?

Open Vanced and go to settings, then Vanced settings, then video settings, preferred video speed.

Surfinette

May 23, 2010
Root Vanced is essentially official YouTube in every way. All links will open natively, Google Assistant is integrated and there's no need for MicroG. It's far superior to non-root Vanced.
Ok, admittedly I don't use Goole assistant, so i don't know about that with the NoRoot version, but all my links open natively in the NoRoot version, so i don't see a difference there. I also have no issue with installing microG, at least YTV works like a charm, while many people struggle here with the root version.
I'm just saying they might struggle less by tring to install the noroot version.