[APP][MOD][ROOT/NONROOT] YouTube Vanced Edition

Search This thread

aegonstark

May 18, 2018
Hi! Cheers to the devs for the great work on this. I'm hoping you guys could help me with this though. I tried to mod the bundled YT Vanced apk to change the icons. (Huge respect to your decision with this icon, but I honestly just want it to look like normal YT with the extra functionality.) So I did it but I'm signing the apk using my own key and well I am not able to properly install my mod.. Could you guys maybe share your keystore? If you can't, is there anything you could do? I believe there is a lot of us who would like the normal youtube icon.. 😕

midgo12

May 30, 2017
I seem to have ads coming back not long after each Vanced re install.
I am on a rooted Oneplus 7pro running latestOOS10.
Should I be doing anything else apart from just installing with the Vanced manager app...
Please advise...

Last edited:

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
Hi! Cheers to the devs for the great work on this. I'm hoping you guys could help me with this though. I tried to mod the bundled YT Vanced apk to change the icons. (Huge respect to your decision with this icon, but I honestly just want it to look like normal YT with the extra functionality.) So I did it but I'm signing the apk using my own key and well I am not able to properly install my mod.. Could you guys maybe share your keystore? If you can't, is there anything you could do? I believe there is a lot of us who would like the normal youtube icon.. 😕
You can use an icon pack. Or use a launcher that supports a picture in the device to be used as an icon.

Reactions: rsngfrce

rsngfrce

• May 13, 2012
    NorCal
    You can use an icon pack. Or use a launcher that supports a picture in the device to be used as an icon.

Has your Vanced been updated by the PlayStore with Googles YouTube?

If so, then you will need to detach YouTube from the playstore. A couple of options are sudohide if you have xposed, or the detach method in TeMeFI.
    Actually, TheMystic was just offering a method to change the Vanced icon without moddimg it.

Reactions: TheMystic

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
    Has your Vanced been updated by the PlayStore with Googles YouTube?

If so, then you will need to detach YouTube from the playstore. A couple of options are sudohide if you have xposed, or the detach method in TeMeFI.
    No, I am using the non-root version in my current device.

On my earlier device which was rooted, the detach method using Titanium Backup was always temporary, so I had disabled auto-update in Google Play Store for YouTube.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Sir_gpm

May 27, 2011
    Managua
    No, I am using the non-root version in my current device.

On my earlier device which was rooted, the detach method using Titanium Backup was always temporary, so I had disabled auto-update in Google Play Store for YouTube.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
    I'm rooted, do you mind share the TB method to detach? Thanks

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
    I'm rooted, do you mind share the TB method to detach? Thanks
    You'll find it under the big list of options when you press and hold to select an app (you'll probably have to swipe from right to left once the basic set of options open up). I don't remember the exact way to access since my current device isn't rooted.

But as I mentioned, the detach is only temporary and you'll have to keep doing it, making it pointless.

Reactions: Sir_gpm

Philnicolls89

Jun 28, 2019
    A.C.T

rhhd

Jan 19, 2011
    MUC
    The function to share videos WITH STARTING TIMESTAMP seems to have disappeared? It would be great if it could be added back in, maybe even as default.

Thanks for an otherwise awesome app!

Afternoon

So this afternoon I got home and Youtube Vanced decided to stop working, then shortly there after Micro-G started misbehaving. So a wiped the data on both apps and tried to sign into my google account. Micro-G completes the sign in but will not show or recognize I have setup a valid google account. This in-turn means Youtube Vanced sits there trying to login to my google account.
    • Between this morning and this afternoon, nothing has been touched, no settings changed on the phone. All other apps on the phone are working fine,
    • I have both Xprivacy and Afwall+, but I haven't touched them between this morning and this afternoon.
    The only other weird thing I am seeing is in vanced manager, its showing a latest version as 0.2.16.204713, but the installed version as 0.2.18.210390. Also after installing Micro-G is default ticking the 'hide icon from launcher' so it doesn't appear in my app folder, this behavior is different to previous version/s of micro-G.

@Team Vanced - is there an issue with Vanced Micro-G and google atm?

- removing 0.2.18 and manually reinstalling 0.2.16 dosent fix the issue. In settings>account the microG account is listed, but MicroG will not show an account has been setup.
    - installed vanced manager on a unrooted Galaxy S6 with crDroid installed, same issue no account is shown in Vanced Micro-G. Has Google done something to block MicroG..?

Last edited:

rsngfrce

• May 13, 2012
    NorCal
    Afternoon

So this afternoon I got home and Youtube Vanced decided to stop working, then shortly there after Micro-G started misbehaving. So a wiped the data on both apps and tried to sign into my google account. Micro-G completes the sign in but will not show or recognize I have setup a valid google account. This in-turn means Youtube Vanced sits there trying to login to my google account.
    • Between this morning and this afternoon, nothing has been touched, no settings changed on the phone. All other apps on the phone are working fine,
    • I have both Xprivacy and Afwall+, but I haven't touched them between this morning and this afternoon.
    The only other weird thing I am seeing is in vanced manager, its showing a latest version as 0.2.16.204713, but the installed version as 0.2.18.210390. Also after installing Micro-G is default ticking the 'hide icon from launcher' so it doesn't appear in my app folder, this behavior is different to previous version/s of micro-G.

[update 1.] even removing 0.2.18 and manually reinstalling 0.2.16 dosent fix the issue. In settings>account the microG account is listed, but MicroG will not show an account has been setup.

[update 2.] installed vanced manager on a unrooted Galaxy S6 with crDroid installed, same issue no account is shown in Vanced MicroG. Has Google done something to block MicroG..?
    I am using Vanced MicroG 0.2.18.210390, which Vanced Manager lists as the latest version. Vanced MicroG is visible in my app drawer. YouTube Vanced is working normally.

Based on what you have said, you seem to have the kind of unexplainable issue that I personally hate so much when I have them.

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
    Staff member
  • Sep 11, 2012
    Bruges
    It is there in settings. Check it properly.
    You could also just help someone if you know the answer. 🤷‍♂️
    The function to share videos WITH STARTING TIMESTAMP seems to have disappeared? It would be great if it could be added back in, maybe even as default.

Thanks for an otherwise awesome app!
    These settings are a maze huh 😬
    If you haven't found it yet or if anyone else needs it, it can be found under Vanced settings > Misc > Copy link (with timestamp)

Screenshot_20210418-003116~2.jpg
    Enabling that turns on this button:
    Screenshot_20210418-003516~2.jpg
    It's super easy to enable, barely an inconvenience. I'm guessing this isn't even available to "normal" YT? Vanced features are TIGHT!

LouisPhilippe

Aug 19, 2015
    Hi.
    I am completely lost with the explanations a the beginning of this thread.
    I have installed root Vanced with TWRP Youtube_14.21.54-1421542400_API19(arm64-v8a)(nodpi)(vBlack-v2.0.9)-vanced.apk, but now, whatever I try, I can't uninstall it. I want to uninstall to use the latest Vanced v16.xxx.
    I precise that the files are in Download folder at the root of the sdcard.
    What are the steps to uninstall my version, please?

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
    You could also just help someone if you know the answer. 🤷‍♂️
    Sure. But this question is from someone who knows a little more than the average user, since he knows how to sideload an app, or may be even root.

I helped him by informing him that the requested feature is already present, assuming that he won't need to be spoonfed.

Reactions: rsngfrce

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      ***Magisk Files for YT Vanced v16.14.34***

For more background info, and installation / troubleshooting info, see this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=83741225&postcount=17198

YouTube 16.14.34 .APKS / YouTube Vanced 16.14.34 Magisk Modules:
      YouTube-Vanced-16.14.34-Dark_Magisk.zip: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=2188818919693788242
      YouTube-Vanced-16.14.34-Black_Magisk.zip: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=2188818919693788243
      Stock YouTube 16.14.34 APKS (.zip file): https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=2188818919693788244
      (sorry, AFH doesn't allow uploads of .apks files, so I zipped up the stock apks file before uploading)

note: btw the module id tags are the same in each module, so you can easily switch between dark and black by simply flashing the other module and rebooting.

-------------------------------------------------

* For some reason, on my older devices (Nougat), from an existing Magisk install, I can simply install the new APKS, then flash the new module with the new version and reboot, and the app works perfectly. Basically just a simple "upgrade" with all settings intact.

* But then I've noticed on my newer devices (Pie, Q, and R), doing that exact same procedure will cause the app to force close after rebooting, making it necessary to follow the steps I outlined in my previous post that I linked at the top of this post. Not really a huge deal, just annoying and need to redo the settings and preferences. However, it does seem to update properly without issues by simply adding just one additional step before the upgrade - disabling or deleting the old Magisk module first and rebooting, then updating.

So basically, probably the safest steps to update from my previous module versions would be:
      - Disable or delete my old Magisk module. REBOOT.
      - Install new version APKS via SAI.
      - Flash my new version Magisk module. REBOOT.
      And like usual, from here you can change between dark and black theme by just flashing the other and rebooting.

I think it may have something to do with the way the newer SDK levels handle split APK installs. I think perhaps having the Magisk module enabled when updating YouTube causes some components to be unable to fully install - but only on newer versions of Android. Ultimately, my older devices can skip the one added step of removing my old Magisk modules before updating, but in either case it wouldn't hurt to go with the steps I outlined above - it's more of a failsafe method that works in both scenarios.

Tested on my Google Pixel 4 XL [R], Google Pixel 4 [R], HTC U12+ [Pie], Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ [R], and Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite w/ LineageOS 17.1 [Q]: using update process above = smooth upgrade.

---------------------------------------------------
      And here are the custom YouTube Vanced app logos, for those where it's not showing up for some reason. Use these if your launcher allows changing app icons:
      https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=319601

EDIT: uploaded the new custom YT Vanced app logos - obvious which ones are which by filenames.
      ---------------------------------------------------

...and finally, of course, the biggest thanks of all is reserved to the entire Vanced development team! Thanks for continuing the work on this project!
      UPDATE:

Battery drain issue is caused by an error inside the both mods.

New versions will be released soon!
      @celestialspring @Punkisn @kang_mus @ByeByeTango @robalm @f_d2016 @grzenio_l @[email protected] and to whom it may concern

Announcement from @Team Vanced on Telegram:
      The new "video quality preference" is a feature rolled out by Google itself with version 16.14.34, and it is not implemented in any way by the vanced team, which has led to user confusion and dissatisfaction with the new update. Apparently, with Google's forced implementation, the vanced "preferred video quality" feature breaks, resulting in excessive data consumption while watching videos.

To resolve this, please disable vanced "preferred video quality" for the time being by setting it to auto, and then you can easily use the new video preferences.

Please be patient for future updates until the vanced team receives the feature, as it is not rolled out to everyone as part of A/B testing.
      Nothing is fixed man. I guess the team is passed to some teenagers that mess with our devices.
      Not cool to insult the team like this. They provide a free app that is worked on on their own free time. If you can do better, build one yourself. Otherwise, maybe provide some helpful & useful information/logs instead of just saying "nothing is fixed" and then insulting them.
      YouTube Vanced 16.16.38 and YouTube Music Vanced 4.25.52 has been released!

Battery drain is fixed now 😁
      ‼️Before asking or posting anything, please read the first and second posts.‼️

YouTube Vanced

SrSEsV2.png

Vanced is a well-known modded version of the YouTube app with many features such as ad-blocking and background playback. Vanced also offers some extra features to enhance the user experience. The entire list is available below:

Features:

• YouTube Vanced IS NOT YouTube Premium
      • Blocks all YouTube ADs (some options are togglable)
      • Background playback feature
      • Force VP9(or HDR) or vice versa
      • Override Max Resolution
      • Pinch to Zoom on all devices
      • Casting togglable (can be forced off)
      • Togglable Theme (White/Dark/Black)
      • PiP (Android 8.0+)
      • Video window new or old style
      • Repeat video feature
      • Preferred Resolution & Speed feature
      • Swipe controls for Volume and Brightness
      • Sponsorblock integration
      • Tap to seek feature
      • Copy video link + with timestamps feature
      • New Logo by @Logan

Always check the official Vanced website or XDA thread when downloading. Other sites are fake, contain advertisements (possibly even malware), and have older versions.

Downloads:

If your network is down or the website isn't loading, you can download vanced manager from the GitHub page.

Alternative Mirrors for Older versions below v14.x releases:

Since YouTube v14.41.52, Google has moved to split APKs format. The Android package installer doesn't support Split apks yet, so we are now using Vanced manager for installing all vanced apps. The steps to use the vanced manager are below:

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Especially for MIUI, there's a separate guide that can be accessed using this link.

For Non-Root:
      1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.
      2. Open Vanced Manager and tap the blue arrow in the lower right corner.
      3. Begin installing Vanced microG. (This app is mandatory to install if you want to login with your Google account)
      4. Then install YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced), log in to your account and enjoy!
      For Root:
      1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.​
      2. Open Vanced manager and tap on the "Magisk" icon to grant root permissions.​
      3. Once you are in, begin installing YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced).​

Important information:

• Disabling "APK signature verification," which was previously required, is no longer needed.
      • The magisk version has been discontinued and removed from the magisk repository since Google has switched to Split APKs format. We replaced our root installation with vanced manager, which directly mounts vanced on top of Youtube in the /data/app directory, making it easier and faster than before.
      • Vanced will not block ads while casting since when you use the casting feature, it doesn't send the video from your phone to the Chromecast/TV. Instead, your phone acts like a remote controller for the youtube app in your Chromecast/TV. That is why the advertisement is displayed.

Known bugs:

• Purchasing items in the non-root version of the app causes the app to crash. It's most likely due to MicroG. However, for greater security, it is preferable to use the original YouTube app.
      • If your videos are lagging or the application starts to crash while watching live videos, please enable VP9 codec from codec override present under vanced settings. Google forced the ExoPlayer v2, which is highly experimental and unstable on unsupported devices.
      • As of v16.16.38, casting won't work due to an upstream microG bug.
      • On portrait/vertical videos, preferred quality options do not work.

Installation guide for old versions:

Non-Root:

1. Download and install the Vanced microG using the latest Vanced manager
      2. Download the necessary Vanced APK file using the old versions link above.
      3. Install the APK like you would for any other app.

Root:

1. Download the official TWRP installer found in the downloads above
      2. Download the suitable APK of the theme you want for your device (check your architecture using an app such as CPU-Z)
      3. Place the downloaded APK into a separate new folder with the TWRP installer zip you downloaded or inside the installer zip
      4. Uninstall all YouTube updates and disable auto-update in the play store (If you can completely uninstall the youtube application)
      5. Flash the installer in TWRP
      6. Profit!

Magisk:

There are a total of 2 ways to install the magisk version.
      • The first and most effective way is to install it via the Magisk app. Since we have discontinued the Magisk version and removed it from the magisk repository, you can get the last available magisk version using this link.
      • The second way is to place "Install via magisk.plz" alongside the official installer zip or enable magisk install in the settings.sh and flash via the magisk app.
      Note: Make sure you have uninstalled the stock YouTube app or at least uninstalled its updates below v14.21.54. A newer version will override the vanced installation, preventing you from seeing vanced in your app drawer.

Explanation of the (Ad)Vanced options of the official installer:

Vanced makes use of both settings.sh and plz files as parameters while installing.

Using the settings.sh:

• SEARCHFOLDER - Path where to search for iYTBP Apk's (must be a subfolder on sdcard!)
      • MAGINSTALL - Use magisk installation instead of root installation. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
      • DETACH - Detach Youtube from the play store to disable update notifications. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
      • ATTACH - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
      • UNINSTALL - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module (Possible Values: YES/NO)

Using the plz files: (Use only the ones you want)

(Place the downloaded file in the same folder as the official installer zip)
      • iYTBP_install_via_magisk.plz - Use magisk installation instead of root installation
      • iYTBP_detach_from_playstore.plz - Detach Youtube from play store to disable update notifications.
      • iYTBP_attach_to_playstore.plz - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached.
      • iYTBP_uninstall.plz - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module.

Thread Managed by @ZaneZam, @Razerman, @KevinX8 and @laura almeida

Social links

BUG Reports:

Steps to do before reporting a bug
      1. Do a search and see if it has already been reported
      2. Check that the bug is actually a Vanced bug and doesn't happen in the original YouTube.
      Steps to do when reporting a bug
      1. Make sure you are being enough descriptive of the problem.
      2. Take a logcat (Google search if you don't know how). Especially if the issue is a crash.
      3. Taking pictures of the problem doesn't hurt.
      4. If the report is vague (missing information), it will most likely just be ignored. If you are not going to show any effort in resolving the problem, why should I?

F.A.Q:

Q.Where did the normal(white) apk go??
      A. White is included in both versions by default as a primary theme. Simply choose the alternate theme you prefer for the night time then use it accordingly with your system theme.

Q. How to install updates?
      A. When using vanced manager, simply tap on the "update" button to begin updating your vanced. If you are installing an older version, just download the latest apk and install it as you previously did before.

Q. Do I need to re-install detach script for every new YouTube Vanced update?
      A. No!

Q. Can I install this as I normally install any other apk?
      A. Only the non-root version.

Q. Can I download videos with this?
      A. No (and you never will)! But the official YouTube Offline Video feature is working in Supported countries.

Q. Why is the <xyz> variant not available to download?
      A. We release 2 Unified builds of non-root, one with the stock youtube theme and another with an AMOLED friendly theme. Use the latest vanced manager and choose the theme and language you would like to install.

Q. Installation successful but YouTube is not showing up in launcher, why?
      A. If you are facing this issue that means you are not using vanced manager. Please use vanced manager to install vanced applications. If you are installing old versions of root variants, make sure the stock youtube app is uninstalled or at least you uninstalled its updates.

Q. Does the 'Crop to fit' feature work for S8 and S8+ users?
      A. Yes! It works on the rooted version but not in the non-root since the package name is changed. However, there is an alternative new Pinch to Zoom feature with basically the same functionality.

Q. Is history working?
      A. Yes! Make sure you whitelist *s.youtube.com in your ad blocker. And non-root users need to check that they are not using a brand account due to the MicroG bug. If you are, you need to merge the accounts to get the history working (YouTube Settings). The merging process will clean the current history.

Q. Does PIP mode works?
      A. Yes, from Android 8.0+ only!

Q. When will you release the new version?
      A. Usually within a couple of days after the official apk is available in apkmirror. But please don't ask for ETA!

Q. Does background playback download video?
      A. No, it does not. After going into background playback, you will only download audio so there will be much less data usage.

Q. I can't log in on Non-Root, I get stuck on the I agree page. What to do?
      A. If you are facing this issue, that means you are using older versions of vanced microG. Please update to the latest version using the latest vanced manager which can be downloaded via our official website. Links can be found in the first post.
      Downloads:

GDrive (All versions)
      Alternative Mirrors: AFH (rarely updated) Mediafire (only the latest)
      New site up https://vanced.azurewebsites.net/ with latest version of YouTube as base (13.10). Includes some bugfixes and other changes detailed on discord. At the time of writing this post apkmirror lacks apks for arm so you will have to wait a while until it has them and then we will be able to make arm root builds.
      New update is out v13.28.54 with following changes:
      - 13.28.53 Full width search bar fix
      - Translation support for more strings
      - HDR brightness bug fixed when using swipe controls
      - Auto repeat can now be linked to autoplay toggle
      - Top-Swipe paddig range added
      - Seek buttons fixed
      - COMPLETE REWORK of all mods for v13.27+ versions (many thx and all credits to @Razerman !!)
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone