• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][MOD][ROOT/NONROOT] YouTube Vanced Edition

Search This thread

TinySoul

Feb 18, 2016
(Resolved) - [New behavior observed - Automatic inplace video play]

I am running non-root Vanced app v16.20.35 on Android 11 on my smartphone.

Since yesterday I have noticed a new behavior in the app and that is it automatically starts playing the video inplace. Once the video is finished the screen is automatically refreshed and the top most video on the screen starts playing inplace. Kindly see the attached image and the circled part. That equalizer type graphics was not there earlier. Also the video time now goes to zero.

Does anyone know is this something youtube introduced recently. Do note that the feature may be experimental and may not be available everywhere. I do not have YouTube app on my smartphone (disabled) to test it on my own.

When you open the app for the first time, everything is fine. As soon as you touch the screen for scrolling or anything else then usually the middle video (sometimes it is topmost video, I guess it depends on the focus) automatically starts playing inplace. I could not find any new setting to control it.

The current way to stop it when the video starts playing inplace, then click it. It opens up like it used to do. Then stop it and minimize it if you want to browse/scroll the videos above or below this video on the page you are coming from. Or scroll down the see the videos available on the current page. Now the videos will not play inplace.

Please do let me know if you need more information.
The issue is resolved now. I have found the setting to stop this inplace video play.

The setting is present in YouTube settings>General>muted playback on home and feeds

For some reasons I have set this option to "always on" and forgotten about it and hence video was being played without sound automatically.

Thanks 🙏

latinohot

Jul 2, 2008
all over the u.s.a
For the longest time now I can not find a way to keep having to scroll every time I back out of subscription lists, it's annoying having to scroll through every time after I watched a video and go back to the list only to find it's not kept place in line but I now have to scroll again to find where I left off

0815Gs

Aug 6, 2018
Is there gonna be support for Android 12's new PiP animations? Official YouTube beta was recently updated to make use of this so I was wondering about Vanced. cheers

H3lipil0t

Jul 11, 2016
So I installed this on a Samsung S20 and it works great. My Sony TV however is a different story. It runs Android TV and the app doesn't play well with it. For one there's no icon present in the apps list. I have to go to Settings > Apps > Vanced Manager and open YouTube Vanced from there. Then there are no virtual keyboards displayed when clicking a search field so I can't search unless I plug a keyboard to my TV. Also pressing OK on remote doesn't necessarily behave the same as tapping or pressing enter on a keyboard. Any chance at a tweaked version for Android TV? I'd bet many of you are running an Nvidia Shield or Firestick. Are there any tweaks I could play with to make this function properly on my TV? Appreciate the hard work on this. YouTube ads are getting out of control!

Maru1

Jan 9, 2019
Is there any news on microg casting issue? That issue has been persistent for quite a while now and many updates so far, not a single fix though.

Casting is an important function for me and I hope it will be fixed in the foreseeable future

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Can confirm, it's definitely more laggy and has stronger appetite now
Hey vanced has been consuming more power then normal YouTube app has anyone noticed that
Please be aware that there are root and non-root YT version (you should have seen that when installing), with different architecture.
Comments without specifying what do you talk about are pretty much useless.
Also, if non-root version consumpts too much power, take attention does the app consumpts or MicroG.
Btw, it's already observed and commented, take time to read the thread back and/or use search

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
Feb 14, 2016
Google Nexus 10
Nexus 7 (2013)
Hi,
I can't find Vanced FAQ in the playstore (in French country), where I can find it now please ?
Thank you very much for your answer.
Looks like the Vanced Guide was pulled from PlayStore.
I do not know if it was Team Vanced or Google.

Vanced Guide - PlayStore - Link
You can find the page on web.archive.org - Link

---

At the end of MIUI instructions (link from the OP).
Miui Installation Guide - telegra.ph - Link

There are links to more Telegraph pages.

Not the app but, maybe one of the above links can help. ?

Cheers. :cowboy:

Last edited:
Reactions: rsngfrce

cukitas

Jan 24, 2011
Can I use the oldest version of vanced and microg? I'm using an outdated android box and it can't run the latest version of vanced without crashing, freezing, I was using an older version and it was working OK, since I upgraded everything got messed up.

How far could I downgrade? any suggestions?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016

Interesting indeed. Even if you go to the Vanced Website:

scroll to the very bottom and press Need help, it links to the no more existing VancedFAQ page on Google Play

Hi,
I can't find Vanced FAQ in the playstore (in French country), where I can find it now please ?
Thank you very much for your answer.

However, VancedFAQ apk can be still found on Internet, e g. download from:

Last edited:
Reactions: rsngfrce and ipdev

ocps69

Jan 4, 2010
CHATUZANGE LE GOUBET

---

At the end of MIUI instructions (link from the OP).
Miui Installation Guide - telegra.ph - Link

There are links to more Telegraph pages.

Not the app but, maybe one of the above links can help. ?

Cheers. :cowboy:
Thank you very much for your faster reply.
Cordially.

Reactions: ipdev

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You could have spent less time writing yes or no than everything you just said.
    It's about the rules and principles of good behavior:
    - search and read before asking
    - confirm/like when people help you

If you would be one who would not only ask but also spent his time to help the others, you would see yourself how tedious is to answer the same things over and over

Anyway, don't worry, I will no more bother to spend time on your questions/issues (being them really something new or just repeated and well known topics) 🤓
    I cant download videos into gallery from vanced what should i do?
    Downloading videos is a YouTube Premium feature. Vanced is not YouTube Premium. You'll also find this in the huge OP you've quoted in its entirety. I'd also like to kindly add that quoting an entire OP is a rookie action we often see with new members. Just saying. I'm glad XenForo crops it these days ^_^
    I use YMusic to do download videos/audio (via its share features). You'll find it on XDA as well.
    Vanced will never support download feature
    You could have spent less time writing yes or no than everything you just said.
    I can't believe you're trolling every thread I follow 🤣😂
    smooth adfree experience.
    consider adding speeds above x2 and an option to disable 60fps.
    have a nice day!
    Features like these would be implemented in the youtube app by google, Vanced would then inherit them. ie make the request to google on their YouTube and you will get it in the next release of Viper Vanced (ooops)
    ‼️Before asking or posting anything, please read the first and second posts.‼️

YouTube Vanced

SrSEsV2.png

Vanced is a well-known modded version of the YouTube app with many features such as ad-blocking and background playback. Vanced also offers some extra features to enhance the user experience. The entire list is available below:

Features:

• YouTube Vanced IS NOT YouTube Premium
    • Blocks all YouTube ADs (some options are togglable)
    • Background playback feature
    • Force VP9(or HDR) or vice versa
    • Override Max Resolution
    • Pinch to Zoom on all devices
    • Casting togglable (can be forced off)
    • Togglable Theme (White/Dark/Black)
    • PiP (Android 8.0+)
    • Video window new or old style
    • Repeat video feature
    • Preferred Resolution & Speed feature
    • Swipe controls for Volume and Brightness
    • Sponsorblock integration
    • Tap to seek feature
    • Copy video link + with timestamps feature
    • New Logo by @Logan

Always check the official Vanced website or XDA thread when downloading. Other sites are fake, contain advertisements (possibly even malware), and have older versions.

Downloads:

If your network is down or the website isn't loading, you can download vanced manager from the GitHub page.

Alternative Mirrors for Older versions below v14.x releases:

Since YouTube v14.41.52, Google has moved to split APKs format. The Android package installer doesn't support Split apks yet, so we are now using Vanced manager for installing all vanced apps. The steps to use the vanced manager are below:

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Especially for MIUI, there's a separate guide that can be accessed using this link.

For Non-Root:
    1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.
    2. Open Vanced Manager and tap the blue arrow in the lower right corner.
    3. Begin installing Vanced microG. (This app is mandatory to install if you want to login with your Google account)
    4. Then install YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced), log in to your account and enjoy!
    For Root:
    1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.​
    2. Open Vanced manager and tap on the "Magisk" icon to grant root permissions.​
    3. Once you are in, begin installing YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced).​

Important information:

• Disabling "APK signature verification," which was previously required, is no longer needed.
    • The magisk version has been discontinued and removed from the magisk repository since Google has switched to Split APKs format. We replaced our root installation with vanced manager, which directly mounts vanced on top of Youtube in the /data/app directory, making it easier and faster than before.
    • Vanced will not block ads while casting since when you use the casting feature, it doesn't send the video from your phone to the Chromecast/TV. Instead, your phone acts like a remote controller for the youtube app in your Chromecast/TV. That is why the advertisement is displayed.

Known bugs:

• Purchasing items in the non-root version of the app causes the app to crash. It's most likely due to MicroG. However, for greater security, it is preferable to use the original YouTube app.
    • If your videos are lagging or the application starts to crash while watching live videos, please enable VP9 codec from codec override present under vanced settings. Google forced the ExoPlayer v2, which is highly experimental and unstable on unsupported devices.
    • As of v16.16.38, casting won't work due to an upstream microG bug.
    • On portrait/vertical videos, preferred quality options do not work.

Installation guide for old versions:

Non-Root:

1. Download and install the Vanced microG using the latest Vanced manager
    2. Download the necessary Vanced APK file using the old versions link above.
    3. Install the APK like you would for any other app.

Root:

1. Download the official TWRP installer found in the downloads above
    2. Download the suitable APK of the theme you want for your device (check your architecture using an app such as CPU-Z)
    3. Place the downloaded APK into a separate new folder with the TWRP installer zip you downloaded or inside the installer zip
    4. Uninstall all YouTube updates and disable auto-update in the play store (If you can completely uninstall the youtube application)
    5. Flash the installer in TWRP
    6. Profit!

Magisk:

There are a total of 2 ways to install the magisk version.
    • The first and most effective way is to install it via the Magisk app. Since we have discontinued the Magisk version and removed it from the magisk repository, you can get the last available magisk version using this link.
    • The second way is to place "Install via magisk.plz" alongside the official installer zip or enable magisk install in the settings.sh and flash via the magisk app.
    Note: Make sure you have uninstalled the stock YouTube app or at least uninstalled its updates below v14.21.54. A newer version will override the vanced installation, preventing you from seeing vanced in your app drawer.

Explanation of the (Ad)Vanced options of the official installer:

Vanced makes use of both settings.sh and plz files as parameters while installing.

Using the settings.sh:

• SEARCHFOLDER - Path where to search for iYTBP Apk's (must be a subfolder on sdcard!)
    • MAGINSTALL - Use magisk installation instead of root installation. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • DETACH - Detach Youtube from the play store to disable update notifications. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • ATTACH - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • UNINSTALL - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module (Possible Values: YES/NO)

Using the plz files: (Use only the ones you want)

(Place the downloaded file in the same folder as the official installer zip)
    • iYTBP_install_via_magisk.plz - Use magisk installation instead of root installation
    • iYTBP_detach_from_playstore.plz - Detach Youtube from play store to disable update notifications.
    • iYTBP_attach_to_playstore.plz - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached.
    • iYTBP_uninstall.plz - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module.

Thread Managed by @ZaneZam, @Razerman, @KevinX8 and @laura almeida

Social links

BUG Reports:

Steps to do before reporting a bug
    1. Do a search and see if it has already been reported
    2. Check that the bug is actually a Vanced bug and doesn't happen in the original YouTube.
    Steps to do when reporting a bug
    1. Make sure you are being enough descriptive of the problem.
    2. Take a logcat (Google search if you don't know how). Especially if the issue is a crash.
    3. Taking pictures of the problem doesn't hurt.
    4. If the report is vague (missing information), it will most likely just be ignored. If you are not going to show any effort in resolving the problem, why should I?

F.A.Q:

Q.Where did the normal(white) apk go??
    A. White is included in both versions by default as a primary theme. Simply choose the alternate theme you prefer for the night time then use it accordingly with your system theme.

Q. How to install updates?
    A. When using vanced manager, simply tap on the "update" button to begin updating your vanced. If you are installing an older version, just download the latest apk and install it as you previously did before.

Q. Do I need to re-install detach script for every new YouTube Vanced update?
    A. No!

Q. Can I install this as I normally install any other apk?
    A. Only the non-root version.

Q. Can I download videos with this?
    A. No (and you never will)! But the official YouTube Offline Video feature is working in Supported countries.

Q. Why is the <xyz> variant not available to download?
    A. We release 2 Unified builds of non-root, one with the stock youtube theme and another with an AMOLED friendly theme. Use the latest vanced manager and choose the theme and language you would like to install.

Q. Installation successful but YouTube is not showing up in launcher, why?
    A. If you are facing this issue that means you are not using vanced manager. Please use vanced manager to install vanced applications. If you are installing old versions of root variants, make sure the stock youtube app is uninstalled or at least you uninstalled its updates.

Q. Does the 'Crop to fit' feature work for S8 and S8+ users?
    A. Yes! It works on the rooted version but not in the non-root since the package name is changed. However, there is an alternative new Pinch to Zoom feature with basically the same functionality.

Q. Is history working?
    A. Yes! Make sure you whitelist *s.youtube.com in your ad blocker. And non-root users need to check that they are not using a brand account due to the MicroG bug. If you are, you need to merge the accounts to get the history working (YouTube Settings). The merging process will clean the current history.

Q. Does PIP mode works?
    A. Yes, from Android 8.0+ only!

Q. When will you release the new version?
    A. Usually within a couple of days after the official apk is available in apkmirror. But please don't ask for ETA!

Q. Does background playback download video?
    A. No, it does not. After going into background playback, you will only download audio so there will be much less data usage.

Q. I can't log in on Non-Root, I get stuck on the I agree page. What to do?
    A. If you are facing this issue, that means you are using older versions of vanced microG. Please update to the latest version using the latest vanced manager which can be downloaded via our official website. Links can be found in the first post.
    Downloads:

GDrive (All versions)
    Alternative Mirrors: AFH (rarely updated) Mediafire (only the latest)
    New site up https://vanced.azurewebsites.net/ with latest version of YouTube as base (13.10). Includes some bugfixes and other changes detailed on discord. At the time of writing this post apkmirror lacks apks for arm so you will have to wait a while until it has them and then we will be able to make arm root builds.
    New update is out v13.28.54 with following changes:
    - 13.28.53 Full width search bar fix
    - Translation support for more strings
    - HDR brightness bug fixed when using swipe controls
    - Auto repeat can now be linked to autoplay toggle
    - Top-Swipe paddig range added
    - Seek buttons fixed
    - COMPLETE REWORK of all mods for v13.27+ versions (many thx and all credits to @Razerman !!)