• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][MOD][ROOT/NONROOT] YouTube Vanced Edition

Search This thread

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
Stoped working (since yesterday) on non-root hardware.

Same here.. the original youtube is ok, but in vanced i'm getting this error.

Seems Microg issue.

Log off and log back in. allow microg to run in background.

Further, upgrade or downgrade microg version if the above doesn't work.
Removing microG account (aka logging off and logging in again) doesn't help much of the times.

But what actually worked in my case, and surprisingly so, is deleting app data for microG. And then both Vanced YouTube and YouTube Music work perfectly.

My experience is on a Redmi Note running on MiUI 12.5.

The good part about it is that there is no need to log out and log in, uninstall/ re-install. Just force stop Vanced microG and delete its app data. You don't even have to launch that app or the Vanced manager. Simply open Vanced YouTube app and it should run fine (you will be logged in automatically).

celestialspring

Sep 19, 2010
Removing microG account (aka logging off and logging in again) doesn't help much of the times.

But what actually worked in my case, and surprisingly so, is deleting app data for microG. And then both Vanced YouTube and YouTube Music work perfectly.

My experience is on a Redmi Note running on MiUI 12.5.

The good part about it is that there is no need to log out and log in, uninstall/ re-install. Just force stop Vanced microG and delete its app data. You don't even have to launch that app or the Vanced manager. Simply open Vanced YouTube app and it should run fine (you will be logged in automatically).
Good solution to keep in mind.

Reactions: TheMystic

kewlzter

Feb 24, 2014
Moto Z4
Hello, I'm getting the same Comment Notification over and over. I dismiss it, and a minute later it comes back. I've cleared cache, forced stop, nothing works. Clearing Data works until I get a new Comment notification. Only thing that gives me peace, is to turn Comment notifications off in app, but this isn't good.
is there any solution?

I've asked about this once before (months ago) , perhaps it was missed, not clear, or there's no solution.
Thanks

celestialspring

Sep 19, 2010
Hello, I'm getting the same Comment Notification over and over. I dismiss it, and a minute later it comes back. I've cleared cache, forced stop, nothing works. Clearing Data works until I get a new Comment notification. Only thing that gives me peace, is to turn Comment notifications off in app, but this isn't good.
is there any solution?

I've asked about this once before (months ago) , perhaps it was missed, not clear, or there's no solution.
Thanks

Long shot:
Downgrade YouTube version to see if issue persists ?

Reactions: kewlzter

robalm

Oct 4, 2013
NEE
For the last few daya i have got a problem with the status bar icons not showing in light theme when playing a video.
Shows good in dark mode.

If i reinstall youtube vanced it works normal for some times but after some swifting theme light/dark i get the same problem.
Anyone else have this problem?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210920-184624.jpg
    Screenshot_20210920-184624.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 106

SM-03

Mar 18, 2015
In the latest YT vanced v16.29.39, as per the changelog concerned, am not able to find this particular setting anywhere "added support for importing-exporting settings". Where it is exactly?

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 81

SM-03

Mar 18, 2015
Can't find it either but they stated "added support for" so it's probably just backend for now.
Ok, found it, but unfortunately, that's not what we think of, it's under there in Sponsorblock & this feature is only for Sponsorblock content.

The YTV community should've clarified this properly in their changelog to avoid such confusion

Also, they should've added this import-export settings option for all the YTV user-generated settings as well, as a whole. Don't know why they still didn't implement this so far.

robalm

Oct 4, 2013
NEE
For the last few daya i have got a problem with the status bar icons not showing in light theme when playing a video.
Shows good in dark mode.

If i reinstall youtube vanced it works normal for some times but after some swifting theme light/dark i get the same problem.
Anyone else have this problem?

Well here is one guy with the same problem

darangel212

Oct 1, 2012
Tap to seek feature not working for me in latest version (16.20.35). I even don't see the option to enable it in Vanced settings>Misc.
Anyone please help. 😕

Timmmmaaahh!

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sep 11, 2012
Bruges
OnePlus One
OnePlus 6T
Ok, found it, but unfortunately, that's not what we think of, it's under there in Sponsorblock & this feature is only for Sponsorblock content.

The YTV community should've clarified this properly in their changelog to avoid such confusion

Also, they should've added this import-export settings option for all the YTV user-generated settings as well, as a whole. Don't know why they still didn't implement this so far.
While they have "access" to the Gaccount anyway, might as well use a Drive location to store settings and sync up on first install, this would even skip any importing/exporting. Good idea @Team Vanced ? If at all feasible. There will likely be some rights issues...

DefinitelynotFBI

Sep 24, 2021
Here is a strange one i believe. I have 5G at work. My phone's data just stops working at times even when at full bars 5G. I can still make calls and sms but no data. Everything on the phone cannot connect to the internet EXCEPT youtube vanced! Any ideas why Vanced can still use data while everything else on the phone can't? it's a Note 20 Ultra 5G

Reactions: marianbv79

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Here is a strange one i believe. I have 5G at work. My phone's data just stops working at times even when at full bars 5G. I can still make calls and sms but no data. Everything on the phone cannot connect to the internet EXCEPT youtube vanced! Any ideas why Vanced can still use data while everything else on the phone can't? it's a Note 20 Ultra 5G
Have you tried official YT (instead of Vanced)?
Maybe, your network allows YT, but not else (i.e., I don't believe it can be anything specific about Vanced)

Reactions: Timmmmaaahh!

whatsisnametake2

Sep 15, 2008
I'm still using 14.21.54 which has been working fine until now so didn't update. the notifications page has now stopped working tho so I guess I'll need to update now. I read back a bit here and there's mention of not currently being able to chromecast? is that still an issue or has it been resolved? one post said the last version that could cast was 16.13.34. if that's true how do I grab that version? the old versions link on the vanced page doesn't seem to offer that?

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
I'm still using 14.21.54 which has been working fine until now so didn't update. the notifications page has now stopped working tho so I guess I'll need to update now. I read back a bit here and there's mention of not currently being able to chromecast? is that still an issue or has it been resolved? one post said the last version that could cast was 16.13.34. if that's true how do I grab that version? the old versions link on the vanced page doesn't seem to offer that?
The last version where casting works fine is v15.43.32. You'll find it on apkmirror.com.

All versions after that have a broken cast feature. They blame it on microG, and AFAIK, microG has fixed that part in their most recent update. So hopefully Team Vanced will make it work on their next release.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Excellent tip! Thanks. This gave me the idea to try achieving the same with SudoHide for LSPosed (which I was already using) but that didn't seem to work, even after Play Store data reset. Now tried with Hide My Applist (+ another PS data reset + reboot) but PS still "sees" YouTube and suggests updating it. Does anything else need to be set besides "Enable hide" within HMA? Perhaps it just needs more time to "settle".
    Hide My Applist:

1)
    - Manage Templates
    - Create Blacklist templates
    - Edit list of Invisible apps
    - add YouTube and more apps if you want to detach
    - Give the name to the template, like Playstore
    - don't forget to Save

2)
    - Select Effective apps
    - Show system apps
    - select Google Play Store
    - tick Enable Hide
    - Work mode = Blacklist (by default)
    - tick Enable all hide methods
    - Choose template: Playstore, from (1)
    - again, don't forget to Save

Reboot

But be aware that with the newest Magisk Canary as of yesterday, Riru does no more work (if Zygisk is enabled, where Zygisk is neccessary for DenyList and SafetyNet)

Therefore, there is a new Zygisk-LSPosed Magisk module (LSPosed bypassing Riru and using Zygisk). In that case Riru and Riru-LSPosed must be uninstalled, new Zygisk-LSPosed installed in Magisk, enabled, rebooted, and all LSPosed modules reconfigured again
    I'm using root vanced, disabled google play auto update and other measures but that doesn't work dear developer, how about vanced magisk module?
    There is also TeMeFI which is thorough and has a GUI.

Method 3 For YouTube.
    For those of you who updated to latest manager release v2.6.1 and facing errors while installing root variant. Please downgrade back to an older build(V2.6.0).
    Please tap on "Cancel" button when the update popup appears on that old version.

A suitable fix will be made soon.

NOTE: Please do NOT update to latest manager yet!

Link to downgrade: https://github.com/YTVanced/VancedManager/releases/download/v2.6.0/manager.apk
    Yeah I found it.
    I use Adaway and when I closed the Adaway, vanced started record the history.
    Can u fix this?
    Who, what to fix?!

You need to fix yourself, on your phone to put the particular site (it has been mentioned several times which one, read carefully) to the AdAway Whitelist

If YouTube (not Vanced) cannot access the YT server for history, history cannot work

Or find out in which of the host source you use in AdAway the site is blocked and then ask the maintainers of that hosts source to 'fix' - i e., to remove from the the hosts source.
    But maintainers of that hosts source would say they block the site for privacy reasons (and those who want YT to record their history should whitelist the site or not to use their hosts source)

See the post right before your own:
    Yes I had to whitelist s.youtube.com in adaway for history to work for me, root version.
    Screenshots how to whitelist in AdAway are attached. Reboot to take in effect
    Nice answer. I was talking about the non root version. If I want to root that device as most others I own I wouldn't have asked.
    I have reasons to not root it at the moment.
    ‼️Before asking or posting anything, please read the first and second posts.‼️

YouTube Vanced

SrSEsV2.png

Vanced is a well-known modded version of the YouTube app with many features such as ad-blocking and background playback. Vanced also offers some extra features to enhance the user experience. The entire list is available below:

Features:

• YouTube Vanced IS NOT YouTube Premium
    • Blocks all YouTube ADs (some options are togglable)
    • Background playback feature
    • Force VP9(or HDR) or vice versa
    • Override Max Resolution
    • Pinch to Zoom on all devices
    • Casting togglable (can be forced off)
    • Togglable Theme (White/Dark/Black)
    • PiP (Android 8.0+)
    • Video window new or old style
    • Repeat video feature
    • Preferred Resolution & Speed feature
    • Swipe controls for Volume and Brightness
    • Sponsorblock integration
    • Tap to seek feature
    • Copy video link + with timestamps feature
    • New Logo by @Logan

Always check the official Vanced website or XDA thread when downloading. Other sites are fake, contain advertisements (possibly even malware), and have older versions.

Downloads:

If your network is down or the website isn't loading, you can download vanced manager from the GitHub page.

Alternative Mirrors for Older versions below v14.x releases:

Since YouTube v14.41.52, Google has moved to split APKs format. The Android package installer doesn't support Split apks yet, so we are now using Vanced manager for installing all vanced apps. The steps to use the vanced manager are below:

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Especially for MIUI, there's a separate guide that can be accessed using this link.

For Non-Root:
    1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.
    2. Open Vanced Manager and tap the blue arrow in the lower right corner.
    3. Begin installing Vanced microG. (This app is mandatory to install if you want to login with your Google account)
    4. Then install YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced), log in to your account and enjoy!
    For Root:
    1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.​
    2. Open Vanced manager and tap on the "Magisk" icon to grant root permissions.​
    3. Once you are in, begin installing YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced).​

Important information:

• Disabling "APK signature verification," which was previously required, is no longer needed.
    • The magisk version has been discontinued and removed from the magisk repository since Google has switched to Split APKs format. We replaced our root installation with vanced manager, which directly mounts vanced on top of Youtube in the /data/app directory, making it easier and faster than before.
    • Vanced will not block ads while casting since when you use the casting feature, it doesn't send the video from your phone to the Chromecast/TV. Instead, your phone acts like a remote controller for the youtube app in your Chromecast/TV. That is why the advertisement is displayed.

Known bugs:

• Purchasing items in the non-root version of the app causes the app to crash. It's most likely due to MicroG. However, for greater security, it is preferable to use the original YouTube app.
    • If your videos are lagging or the application starts to crash while watching live videos, please enable VP9 codec from codec override present under vanced settings. Google forced the ExoPlayer v2, which is highly experimental and unstable on unsupported devices.
    • As of v16.16.38, casting won't work due to an upstream microG bug.
    • On portrait/vertical videos, preferred quality options do not work.

Installation guide for old versions:

Non-Root:

1. Download and install the Vanced microG using the latest Vanced manager
    2. Download the necessary Vanced APK file using the old versions link above.
    3. Install the APK like you would for any other app.

Root:

1. Download the official TWRP installer found in the downloads above
    2. Download the suitable APK of the theme you want for your device (check your architecture using an app such as CPU-Z)
    3. Place the downloaded APK into a separate new folder with the TWRP installer zip you downloaded or inside the installer zip
    4. Uninstall all YouTube updates and disable auto-update in the play store (If you can completely uninstall the youtube application)
    5. Flash the installer in TWRP
    6. Profit!

Magisk:

There are a total of 2 ways to install the magisk version.
    • The first and most effective way is to install it via the Magisk app. Since we have discontinued the Magisk version and removed it from the magisk repository, you can get the last available magisk version using this link.
    • The second way is to place "Install via magisk.plz" alongside the official installer zip or enable magisk install in the settings.sh and flash via the magisk app.
    Note: Make sure you have uninstalled the stock YouTube app or at least uninstalled its updates below v14.21.54. A newer version will override the vanced installation, preventing you from seeing vanced in your app drawer.

Explanation of the (Ad)Vanced options of the official installer:

Vanced makes use of both settings.sh and plz files as parameters while installing.

Using the settings.sh:

• SEARCHFOLDER - Path where to search for iYTBP Apk's (must be a subfolder on sdcard!)
    • MAGINSTALL - Use magisk installation instead of root installation. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • DETACH - Detach Youtube from the play store to disable update notifications. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • ATTACH - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • UNINSTALL - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module (Possible Values: YES/NO)

Using the plz files: (Use only the ones you want)

(Place the downloaded file in the same folder as the official installer zip)
    • iYTBP_install_via_magisk.plz - Use magisk installation instead of root installation
    • iYTBP_detach_from_playstore.plz - Detach Youtube from play store to disable update notifications.
    • iYTBP_attach_to_playstore.plz - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached.
    • iYTBP_uninstall.plz - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module.

Thread Managed by @ZaneZam, @Razerman, @KevinX8 and @laura almeida

Social links

BUG Reports:

Steps to do before reporting a bug
    1. Do a search and see if it has already been reported
    2. Check that the bug is actually a Vanced bug and doesn't happen in the original YouTube.
    Steps to do when reporting a bug
    1. Make sure you are being enough descriptive of the problem.
    2. Take a logcat (Google search if you don't know how). Especially if the issue is a crash.
    3. Taking pictures of the problem doesn't hurt.
    4. If the report is vague (missing information), it will most likely just be ignored. If you are not going to show any effort in resolving the problem, why should I?

F.A.Q:

Q.Where did the normal(white) apk go??
    A. White is included in both versions by default as a primary theme. Simply choose the alternate theme you prefer for the night time then use it accordingly with your system theme.

Q. How to install updates?
    A. When using vanced manager, simply tap on the "update" button to begin updating your vanced. If you are installing an older version, just download the latest apk and install it as you previously did before.

Q. Do I need to re-install detach script for every new YouTube Vanced update?
    A. No!

Q. Can I install this as I normally install any other apk?
    A. Only the non-root version.

Q. Can I download videos with this?
    A. No (and you never will)! But the official YouTube Offline Video feature is working in Supported countries.

Q. Why is the <xyz> variant not available to download?
    A. We release 2 Unified builds of non-root, one with the stock youtube theme and another with an AMOLED friendly theme. Use the latest vanced manager and choose the theme and language you would like to install.

Q. Installation successful but YouTube is not showing up in launcher, why?
    A. If you are facing this issue that means you are not using vanced manager. Please use vanced manager to install vanced applications. If you are installing old versions of root variants, make sure the stock youtube app is uninstalled or at least you uninstalled its updates.

Q. Does the 'Crop to fit' feature work for S8 and S8+ users?
    A. Yes! It works on the rooted version but not in the non-root since the package name is changed. However, there is an alternative new Pinch to Zoom feature with basically the same functionality.

Q. Is history working?
    A. Yes! Make sure you whitelist *s.youtube.com in your ad blocker. And non-root users need to check that they are not using a brand account due to the MicroG bug. If you are, you need to merge the accounts to get the history working (YouTube Settings). The merging process will clean the current history.

Q. Does PIP mode works?
    A. Yes, from Android 8.0+ only!

Q. When will you release the new version?
    A. Usually within a couple of days after the official apk is available in apkmirror. But please don't ask for ETA!

Q. Does background playback download video?
    A. No, it does not. After going into background playback, you will only download audio so there will be much less data usage.

Q. I can't log in on Non-Root, I get stuck on the I agree page. What to do?
    A. If you are facing this issue, that means you are using older versions of vanced microG. Please update to the latest version using the latest vanced manager which can be downloaded via our official website. Links can be found in the first post.
    Downloads:

GDrive (All versions)
    Alternative Mirrors: AFH (rarely updated) Mediafire (only the latest)
    New site up https://vanced.azurewebsites.net/ with latest version of YouTube as base (13.10). Includes some bugfixes and other changes detailed on discord. At the time of writing this post apkmirror lacks apks for arm so you will have to wait a while until it has them and then we will be able to make arm root builds.
    New update is out v13.28.54 with following changes:
    - 13.28.53 Full width search bar fix
    - Translation support for more strings
    - HDR brightness bug fixed when using swipe controls
    - Auto repeat can now be linked to autoplay toggle
    - Top-Swipe paddig range added
    - Seek buttons fixed
    - COMPLETE REWORK of all mods for v13.27+ versions (many thx and all credits to @Razerman !!)