• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][MOD][ROOT/NONROOT] YouTube Vanced Edition

Search This thread

joriq

Aug 11, 2009
Podgorica
No, you have the original YouTube - App and the version of Vanced simultaneously installed.

The root version replace the original with the Vanced version.
I just disabled the original version 😎

Also, with the root version, whenever I go to the play store, it shows that there is an update for YT and I can't just use the "update all" option to update all my apps, I always have to pay attention not to update YT. Tried a few things, magisk modules, but was unable to hide it from being updated.

I might be missing something, but I don't see many reasons to go for the root version nowadays?

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Moto G 2014
Moto G5 Plus
I just disabled the original version 😎

Also, with the root version, whenever I go to the play store, it shows that there is an update for YT and I can't just use the "update all" option to update all my apps, I always have to pay attention not to update YT. Tried a few things, magisk modules, but was unable to hide it from being updated.

I might be missing something, but I don't see many reasons to go for the root version nowadays?
Not really. The latest versions are not able to stream to Chromecast (see attached screenshot) In this case you can use version 16.02.35, the last one without that issue. MicroG doesn't drain much battery for me, just some wake-ups.
Disable original YT and you're good to go. I don't get any update notifications and YT isn't showing up for updates in playstore.

Attachments

• IMG_20211206_162701.jpg
    IMG_20211206_162701.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20211206_162640.jpg
    IMG_20211206_162640.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 171
Reactions: joriq

mouse100

Sep 20, 2010
I obtain this error when I try to cast the video to nest hub or tv. I need to update play services. But I can't find any updates on play store and Vanced and microg are updated to latest version.
Screenshot_20211207-104344.jpg

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Moto G 2014
Moto G5 Plus
I obtain this error when I try to cast the video to nest hub or tv. I need to update play services. But I can't find any updates on play store and Vanced and microg are updated to latest version.
View attachment 5476687
Check this post and the screenshot (two above yours):
In your case it's not Chromecast but when I try to cast with newer versions of Vanced I get exactly the same error. Updating Google Play Services doesn't help (btw, you can get those updates on APK Mirror).
Roll back to build 16.02.35 or earlier, that should solve the problem.
You can get older versions on the official YouTube Vanced website https://vancedapp.com/
Install it with SAI (Split APKs Installer) from playstore.

kod_yaphets

Feb 12, 2020
Hi everyone
Im using YC version: 16.29.39 non-root and recently my youtube account had stranger video in video history, is that youtube vanced "feature" that i dont know or something wrong with my account ? (I had chance my password for few times and logout from all device but the stranger videos still keep bumping)

yazzine

May 19, 2018
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Great App! But one small issue....
I love all the features in Vanced and even tho I already have a network wide adblocker I still find myself using this app if not just alone for the Sponsor block feature. For being in beta its very accurate and i am a big fan of how customizable the actions for it are. Tho im having one slight problem. This only happened once so far. I have an Samsung Galaxy S20 FE with Magisk 23.0, and randomly while i was watching videos youtube vanced crashed really badly. I couldnt even start the app and had to wait for a minute until it was able to start again but then just regular youtube started. Vanced Manager still thought it was working fine and was installed but after "uninstalling" it and reinstalling it worked fine. As i said only happened once for me so far but if anyone else had this issue and found a fix please feel free to share.

Irfy84

Aug 3, 2011
This is a bug report.

1. YouTube Vanced 16.29.39 . However, using earlier versions does not help.
2/3. Installed via Vanced Manager by selecting "latest" version (=16.29.39)
4. OnePlus Nord 2 5G, model "DN2103", SoC "Dimensity 1200-AI Octa-core"
5. OxygenOS V11.3, Android 11 up-to-date
6. No Substratum overlays
7. https://pastebin.com/qnzNqYGZ
8. After phone restart, the icon changes to the youtube icon and the app crashes immediately. `adb logcat --buffer=crash` shows the above linked FATAL EXCEPTION trace. As if the system does something to youtube at startup that messes up vanced installation. Vanced Manager says the version is the same and all looks good. A full uninstall + install cycle is necessary to fix, nothing else helps (clearing cache, data, uninstalling updates, force stopping, etc. etc.). It sounds similar to what yazzine described in the previous post. It also happens randomly, after some time without any obvious triggers.
9. Magisk modules:
  • busybox,
  • detach (with an "every 2 minute" crond detach job for youtube+ytmusic: "*/2 * * * * su -c detach -t")
  • MagiskHide Props Config
  • Riru
  • Systemless Hosts
  • Universal SafetyNet Fix
I'll gladly provide more details if needed.

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
This is a bug report.

1. YouTube Vanced 16.29.39 . However, using earlier versions does not help.
2/3. Installed via Vanced Manager by selecting "latest" version (=16.29.39)
4. OnePlus Nord 2 5G, model "DN2103", SoC "Dimensity 1200-AI Octa-core"
5. OxygenOS V11.3, Android 11 up-to-date
6. No Substratum overlays
7. https://pastebin.com/qnzNqYGZ
8. After phone restart, the icon changes to the youtube icon and the app crashes immediately. `adb logcat --buffer=crash` shows the above linked FATAL EXCEPTION trace. As if the system does something to youtube at startup that messes up vanced installation. Vanced Manager says the version is the same and all looks good. A full uninstall + install cycle is necessary to fix, nothing else helps (clearing cache, data, uninstalling updates, force stopping, etc. etc.). It sounds similar to what yazzine described in the previous post. It also happens randomly, after some time without any obvious triggers.
9. Magisk modules:
  • busybox,
  • detach (with an "every 2 minute" crond detach job for youtube+ytmusic: "*/2 * * * * su -c detach -t")
  • MagiskHide Props Config
  • Riru
  • Systemless Hosts
  • Universal SafetyNet Fix
I'll gladly provide more details if needed.
What sounds suspicious tomme is that yu have a process running in the background, repeatedly, doing something to YouTube (your cron detach script) while you are running YouTube. Have you tested without the detach script running or even ran a single time after a fresh install?

PS: I created a detach method that does not require a cron job to ensure it stays detached.

Irfy84

Aug 3, 2011
What sounds suspicious tomme is that yu have a process running in the background, repeatedly, doing something to YouTube (your cron detach script) while you are running YouTube. Have you tested without the detach script running or even ran a single time after a fresh install?

PS: I created a detach method that does not require a cron job to ensure it stays detached.
Yes, I first tried to one-off detach YT and it didn't work well, YouTube would re-appear in the list of apps to update all over again consistently. This was the reason for trying it with the cron-executed detach script because I know a similar script was being installed with Vanced YT when it was managed as a Magisk Module.

Note that the detach script is running every 2 minutes, and YouTube runs just fine after a fresh uninstall-install cycle for a long time. Checking now (8 hours later) YT is fine, so it may be that only a phone restart bricks the Vanced YT installation...

I will try TeMeFI detach and report if it works and if it changes anything.

The funky thing here is, that I also have a OnePlus 6T with OxygenOS 11.1.2.2 (Android 11), with an absolutely identical Vanced YT setup (including the cronjob) and it survives restarts just fine...

I feel that the key to the issue may be in the logcat output, and potentially further investigation around that, but my Android-Fu is weak and I can't interpret the issue and wouldn't know where to investigate further.

porotikos

Mar 29, 2016
hi guys, i installed detach but then tried to install youtube again (lower version) and then vanced via magisk but youtube cant be installed. states that i have more current version already. even if i disabled or removed youtube via adb

celestialspring

Sep 19, 2010
hi guys, i installed detach but then tried to install youtube again (lower version) and then vanced via magisk but youtube cant be installed. states that i have more current version already. even if i disabled or removed youtube via adb

This discussion comes up time and again. For my own knowledge, I want to ask two questions:

For non power users, isn't the non root version good enough?

For root users, why can't you just delete the YouTube apk and be done with it?

Please enlighten!

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
You did not specify which method you used to detach.

It sounds likethe issue people have with installing / downgrading YT. Search the thread its been covered many many times.
This discussion comes up time and again. For my own knowledge, I want to ask two questions:

For non power users, isn't the non root version good enough?

For root users, why can't you just delete the YouTube apk and be done with it?

Please enlighten!
For the root version, vanced IS the youtube APK.

And its not based on if you are a power user or not. There are "Power Users" that choose to install the Non-Root version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MOD ACTION:

Thread cleaned.

Guys, this thread already long enough to discourage new users. Searching and finding answers from the search results are also difficult. Let us not add to the difficulty. Hope you will cooperate.

Thank you.
    🎄🤶X Mas 🎄🤶 to everyone on XDA ❗❗❗
    I have a situation where I need to trim videos that I uploaded as part of a live feed. that is the videos were live when the program was running., they later showed up as recorded status and these are precisely the ones where I want to trim both sides (start & end ) & center where there is no audio . I can do that only on the desktop version of YouTube or on PC. I do not see any option available on an mobile YouTube website or Android app ( Vance or YouTube studio ). so how do I go about getting this done. right now I am stuck with using desktop versions of browsers and forcing YouTube account to open only on browser and it's extremely messy .....the part for editing
    🎄🤶X Mas 🎄🤶 to everyone on XDA ❗❗❗
    I have a situation where I need to trim videos that I uploaded as part of a live feed. that is the videos were live when the program was running., they later showed up as recorded status and these are precisely the ones where I want to trim both sides (start & end ) & center where there is no audio . I can do that only on the desktop version of YouTube or on PC. I do not see any option available on an mobile YouTube website or Android app ( Vance or YouTube studio ). so how do I go about getting this done. right now I am stuck with using desktop versions of browsers and forcing YouTube account to open only on browser and it's extremely messy .....the part for editing
    YT Vanced does not provide anything special or additional for editing.
    The functionality should be the same as in the official YT app (that corresponding older v16.29.39)
    This was posted on LTT's WAN show stream last night from Vanced. I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, so I figured I'd share.
    Screenshot_20211225-161227.png
    last magisk don't have a repository anymore
    Google for and download/install (Github) Fox Magisk Module Manager (Fox Mmm root app you will use for downloading/installing modules instead of the Modules on-line support that is removed from the new Magisk)
    ‼️Before asking or posting anything, please read the first and second posts.‼️

YouTube Vanced

SrSEsV2.png

Vanced is a well-known modded version of the YouTube app with many features such as ad-blocking and background playback. Vanced also offers some extra features to enhance the user experience. The entire list is available below:

Features:

• YouTube Vanced IS NOT YouTube Premium
    • Blocks all YouTube ADs (some options are togglable)
    • Background playback feature
    • Force VP9(or HDR) or vice versa
    • Override Max Resolution
    • Pinch to Zoom on all devices
    • Casting togglable (can be forced off)
    • Togglable Theme (White/Dark/Black)
    • PiP (Android 8.0+)
    • Video window new or old style
    • Repeat video feature
    • Preferred Resolution & Speed feature
    • Swipe controls for Volume and Brightness
    • Sponsorblock integration
    • Tap to seek feature
    • Copy video link + with timestamps feature
    • New Logo by @Logan

Always check the official Vanced website or XDA thread when downloading. Other sites are fake, contain advertisements (possibly even malware), and have older versions.

Downloads:

If your network is down or the website isn't loading, you can download vanced manager from the GitHub page.

Alternative Mirrors for Older versions below v14.x releases:

Since YouTube v14.41.52, Google has moved to split APKs format. The Android package installer doesn't support Split apks yet, so we are now using Vanced manager for installing all vanced apps. The steps to use the vanced manager are below:

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Especially for MIUI, there's a separate guide that can be accessed using this link.

For Non-Root:
    1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.
    2. Open Vanced Manager and tap the blue arrow in the lower right corner.
    3. Begin installing Vanced microG. (This app is mandatory to install if you want to login with your Google account)
    4. Then install YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced), log in to your account and enjoy!
    For Root:
    1. Download and install the latest Vanced Manager using our official Vanced website.​
    2. Open Vanced manager and tap on the "Magisk" icon to grant root permissions.​
    3. Once you are in, begin installing YouTube Vanced (or YouTube Music Vanced).​

Important information:

• Disabling "APK signature verification," which was previously required, is no longer needed.
    • The magisk version has been discontinued and removed from the magisk repository since Google has switched to Split APKs format. We replaced our root installation with vanced manager, which directly mounts vanced on top of Youtube in the /data/app directory, making it easier and faster than before.
    • Vanced will not block ads while casting since when you use the casting feature, it doesn't send the video from your phone to the Chromecast/TV. Instead, your phone acts like a remote controller for the youtube app in your Chromecast/TV. That is why the advertisement is displayed.

Known bugs:

• Purchasing items in the non-root version of the app causes the app to crash. It's most likely due to MicroG. However, for greater security, it is preferable to use the original YouTube app.
    • If your videos are lagging or the application starts to crash while watching live videos, please enable VP9 codec from codec override present under vanced settings. Google forced the ExoPlayer v2, which is highly experimental and unstable on unsupported devices.
    • As of v16.16.38, casting won't work due to an upstream microG bug.
    • On portrait/vertical videos, preferred quality options do not work.

Installation guide for old versions:

Non-Root:

1. Download and install the Vanced microG using the latest Vanced manager
    2. Download the necessary Vanced APK file using the old versions link above.
    3. Install the APK like you would for any other app.

Root:

1. Download the official TWRP installer found in the downloads above
    2. Download the suitable APK of the theme you want for your device (check your architecture using an app such as CPU-Z)
    3. Place the downloaded APK into a separate new folder with the TWRP installer zip you downloaded or inside the installer zip
    4. Uninstall all YouTube updates and disable auto-update in the play store (If you can completely uninstall the youtube application)
    5. Flash the installer in TWRP
    6. Profit!

Magisk:

There are a total of 2 ways to install the magisk version.
    • The first and most effective way is to install it via the Magisk app. Since we have discontinued the Magisk version and removed it from the magisk repository, you can get the last available magisk version using this link.
    • The second way is to place "Install via magisk.plz" alongside the official installer zip or enable magisk install in the settings.sh and flash via the magisk app.
    Note: Make sure you have uninstalled the stock YouTube app or at least uninstalled its updates below v14.21.54. A newer version will override the vanced installation, preventing you from seeing vanced in your app drawer.

Explanation of the (Ad)Vanced options of the official installer:

Vanced makes use of both settings.sh and plz files as parameters while installing.

Using the settings.sh:

• SEARCHFOLDER - Path where to search for iYTBP Apk's (must be a subfolder on sdcard!)
    • MAGINSTALL - Use magisk installation instead of root installation. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • DETACH - Detach Youtube from the play store to disable update notifications. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • ATTACH - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached. (Possible Values: YES/NO)
    • UNINSTALL - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module (Possible Values: YES/NO)

Using the plz files: (Use only the ones you want)

(Place the downloaded file in the same folder as the official installer zip)
    • iYTBP_install_via_magisk.plz - Use magisk installation instead of root installation
    • iYTBP_detach_from_playstore.plz - Detach Youtube from play store to disable update notifications.
    • iYTBP_attach_to_playstore.plz - Attach Youtube to play store if it was previously detached.
    • iYTBP_uninstall.plz - Completely uninstall iYTBP: root version, magisk module, and detach module.

Thread Managed by @ZaneZam, @Razerman, @KevinX8 and @laura almeida

Social links

BUG Reports:

Steps to do before reporting a bug
    1. Do a search and see if it has already been reported
    2. Check that the bug is actually a Vanced bug and doesn't happen in the original YouTube.
    Steps to do when reporting a bug
    1. Make sure you are being enough descriptive of the problem.
    2. Take a logcat (Google search if you don't know how). Especially if the issue is a crash.
    3. Taking pictures of the problem doesn't hurt.
    4. If the report is vague (missing information), it will most likely just be ignored. If you are not going to show any effort in resolving the problem, why should I?

F.A.Q:

Q.Where did the normal(white) apk go??
    A. White is included in both versions by default as a primary theme. Simply choose the alternate theme you prefer for the night time then use it accordingly with your system theme.

Q. How to install updates?
    A. When using vanced manager, simply tap on the "update" button to begin updating your vanced. If you are installing an older version, just download the latest apk and install it as you previously did before.

Q. Do I need to re-install detach script for every new YouTube Vanced update?
    A. No!

Q. Can I install this as I normally install any other apk?
    A. Only the non-root version.

Q. Can I download videos with this?
    A. No (and you never will)! But the official YouTube Offline Video feature is working in Supported countries.

Q. Why is the <xyz> variant not available to download?
    A. We release 2 Unified builds of non-root, one with the stock youtube theme and another with an AMOLED friendly theme. Use the latest vanced manager and choose the theme and language you would like to install.

Q. Installation successful but YouTube is not showing up in launcher, why?
    A. If you are facing this issue that means you are not using vanced manager. Please use vanced manager to install vanced applications. If you are installing old versions of root variants, make sure the stock youtube app is uninstalled or at least you uninstalled its updates.

Q. Does the 'Crop to fit' feature work for S8 and S8+ users?
    A. Yes! It works on the rooted version but not in the non-root since the package name is changed. However, there is an alternative new Pinch to Zoom feature with basically the same functionality.

Q. Is history working?
    A. Yes! Make sure you whitelist *s.youtube.com in your ad blocker. And non-root users need to check that they are not using a brand account due to the MicroG bug. If you are, you need to merge the accounts to get the history working (YouTube Settings). The merging process will clean the current history.

Q. Does PIP mode works?
    A. Yes, from Android 8.0+ only!

Q. When will you release the new version?
    A. Usually within a couple of days after the official apk is available in apkmirror. But please don't ask for ETA!

Q. Does background playback download video?
    A. No, it does not. After going into background playback, you will only download audio so there will be much less data usage.

Q. I can't log in on Non-Root, I get stuck on the I agree page. What to do?
    A. If you are facing this issue, that means you are using older versions of vanced microG. Please update to the latest version using the latest vanced manager which can be downloaded via our official website. Links can be found in the first post.
    Downloads:

GDrive (All versions)
    Alternative Mirrors: AFH (rarely updated) Mediafire (only the latest)
    New site up https://vanced.azurewebsites.net/ with latest version of YouTube as base (13.10). Includes some bugfixes and other changes detailed on discord. At the time of writing this post apkmirror lacks apks for arm so you will have to wait a while until it has them and then we will be able to make arm root builds.
    New update is out v13.28.54 with following changes:
    - 13.28.53 Full width search bar fix
    - Translation support for more strings
    - HDR brightness bug fixed when using swipe controls
    - Auto repeat can now be linked to autoplay toggle
    - Top-Swipe paddig range added
    - Seek buttons fixed
    - COMPLETE REWORK of all mods for v13.27+ versions (many thx and all credits to @Razerman !!)