[CLOSED][APP][MOD][ROOT/NONROOT] Vanced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I'm using root vanced, disabled google play auto update and other measures but that doesn't work dear developer, how about vanced magisk module?
There is also TeMeFI which is thorough and has a GUI.

Method 3 For YouTube.

Au5t1n

Vanced starts with the little different splash screen (screenshots attached) than YT - close your Vanced/YT, restart and check

Run Vanced Manager, click on YT Vanced, and check what is your Installed version

Check also in Google Play, Pending updates list (assuming that you did not detach YT) - if YT is not on the list, then Google Play already updated the YT and Vanced root is gone

Knowing how YT Vanced root works, there is still a possibility:
- that Vanced Manager claims that Vanced 16.16.38 is installed
- that Google Play did not update and overwrite 16.16.38
- but that script (installed by Vanced Manager) /data/adb/service.d/vanced.sh does not successfully perform mounting the Vanced modified base.apk file over the original YT base.apk that was installed in /data/data/<YT split app installation folder>

In that case you would (also) have the original YT splash screen, ads and no background playing

With MiXplorer or some root File mngr, go to /data/data and find the YT installation folder (you can read its path from the vanced.sh script mentioned above, or you can use an app like Package Manager to give you the various info about all your installed apps)

Check the file size of your base apk file in that folder - the original YT 16.16.38 is 17 MB, while the dark Vanced one is 22 MB - if yours is 17 MB, it means that vanced.sh script fails to mount the Vanced modified base.apk over the original YT base.apk.
(If that happens, there are other methods to force the Vanced base.apk - but first, perform the checks as above to know do you really have that case, or Google Play simply updated your YT to the higher than 16.16.38 and overwrote Vanced

PS: Sorry, I lost the track - are you really using Vanced root?
If not, then you would have two apps, original YT and non-root Vanced and you must be careful which one to start 🥸

In that case you can even uninstall the original YT or let the Google Play update it to the latest - non-root Vanced has different package names and won't be affected
Original YouTube was uninstalled before installing Vanced. Upon opening YouTube Vanced then going to settings, the app closes and none of the features are working. Vanced root is definitely installed on my phone, it's just not working.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi 11
Original YouTube was uninstalled before installing Vanced. Upon opening YouTube Vanced then going to settings, the app closes and none of the features are working. Vanced is definitely installed on my phone, it's just not working.
Are you talking about root or non-root?

Non-root is a separate app / separate icon, and make sure you run the proper app (from the proper icon).
(You can even uninstall the original YT upon installing non-root YT Vanced, to make sure you will ONLY have non-root Vanced YT)

Root Vanced changes only one file (base.apk) from the split/multi-apk official YT installation.
However, Vanced is always way behind the latest official YT.
Hence even if you first uninstall YT and then install root Vanced YT, your Google Play will see that as that you have an old YT application - and it will (usually) automatically update the YT to the latest, and that will overwrite the root Vanced YT.
You can check in Google Play what is your installed YT version - if no more 16.29.39 (latest Vanced), Vanced root YT was already overwriten

Please search/read back about disabling automatic YT update in Google Play and even better, about detaching YT (Google Play will not see it anymore, hence it will not bother you to update and it will not automatically update thus overwriting the root YT Vanced)

Last edited:

Au5t1n

Are you talking about root or non-root?

Non-root is a separate app / separate icon, and make sure you run the proper app (from the proper icon).
(You can even uninstall the original YT upon installing non-root YT Vanced, to make sure you will ONLY have non-root Vanced YT)

Root Vanced changes only one file (base.apk) from the split/multi-apk official YT installation.
However, Vanced is always way behind the latest official YT.
Hence even if you first uninstall YT and then install root Vanced YT, your Google Play will see that as that you have an old YT application - and it will (usually) automatically update the YT to the latest, and that will overwrite the root Vanced YT.
You can check in Google Play what is your installed YT version - if no more 16.29.39 (latest Vanced), Vanced root YT was already overwriten

Please search/read back about disabling automatic YT update in Google Play and even better, about detaching YT (Google Play will not see it anymore, hence it will not bother you to update and it will not automatically update thus overwriting the root YT Vanced)
I've checked the playstore and it did not overwrite YouTube Vanced. I am using the root version by the way.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi 11

Btw, the latest post/release for Magisk module version for YT Vanced 16.29.39 was this one:
***Magisk Files for YT Vanced v16.29.39***

For more background info, and installation / troubleshooting info, see this post: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83741225&postcount=17198

YouTube 16.29.39 .APKS / YouTube Vanced 16.29.39 Magisk Modules:
YouTube-Vanced-16.29.39-Dark_Magisk.zip: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=7161016148664782904
YouTube-Vanced-16.29.39-Black_Magisk.zip: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=7161016148664782905
Stock YouTube 16.29.39 APKS (.zip file): https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=7161016148664782903
(sorry, AFH doesn't allow uploads of .apks files, so I zipped up the stock apks file before uploading)

note: btw the module id tags are the same in each module, so you can easily switch between dark and black by simply flashing the other module and rebooting.

-------------------------------------------------

* For some reason, on my older devices (Nougat), from an existing Magisk install, I can simply install the new APKS, then flash the new module with the new version and reboot, and the app works perfectly. Basically just a simple "upgrade" with all settings intact.

* But then I've noticed on my newer devices (Pie, Q, and R), doing that exact same procedure will cause the app to force close after rebooting, making it necessary to follow the steps I outlined in my previous post that I linked at the top of this post. Not really a huge deal, just annoying and need to redo the settings and preferences. However, it does seem to update properly without issues by simply adding just one additional step before the upgrade - disabling or deleting the old Magisk module first and rebooting, then updating.

So basically, probably the safest steps to update from my previous module versions would be:
- Disable or delete my old Magisk module. REBOOT.
- Install new version APKS via SAI.
- Flash my new version Magisk module. REBOOT.
And like usual, from here you can change between dark and black theme by just flashing the other and rebooting.

I think it may have something to do with the way the newer SDK levels handle split APK installs. I think perhaps having the Magisk module enabled when updating YouTube causes some components to be unable to fully install - but only on newer versions of Android. Ultimately, my older devices can skip the one added step of removing my old Magisk modules before updating, but in either case it wouldn't hurt to go with the steps I outlined above - it's more of a failsafe method that works in both scenarios.

---------------------------------------------------
Here are the custom YouTube Vanced app logos, for those where it's not showing up for some reason. Use these if your launcher allows changing app icons:
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=319601
---------------------------------------------------

...and finally as usual, the biggest thanks of all is reserved to the entire Vanced development team! Thanks for continuing the work on this project!

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi 11
I've checked the playstore and it did not overwrite YouTube Vanced. I am using the root version by the way.
You can try the following (you have root, supposidely you should be faniliar with Magisk and its modules, root explorer, etc)

1) Either from TWRP or by using a root explorer like MiXplorer, go to /data/adb

and delete there any files you find installed by Vanced:
- one script in service.d folder
- one script in post-fs-data folder
- and one folder named Vanced or so (I deleted them months ago hence cannot give you exact names for sure)

2) Reboot, go to Google Play and Uninstall You Tube (fully Uninstall)

Check that you indeed do not have YT app installed anymore (Settings, Apps)

Check also in Vanced Manager that it doesn't show YT Vanced installed (do not, by mistake, install Vanced YT again from Vanced Manager)

3) Reboot and try to install YT Vanced root, same version 16.29.39 but this time as Magisk module.
It basically does the same job (mounting the patched base.apk over the official one) as Vanced Manager but the script it puts into the module folder is little more robust than the script deployed by Vanced Manager (you were asked above to delete)

For the Magisk module YT Vanced 16.29.39 (link to download and installation instructions), see my post #19421 (two posts before this post)

Be aware that upon that Vanced Manager will not see that you actually have Vanced YT installed (hence do not attempt to double-install from Vanced Manager again).

Also, Google Play will also see that you have an old YT version - you must again make sure (detach it) that Google Play would not update the YT

The Analog Kid

Dec 5, 2013
A moment ago and all of a sudden, Vanced non root version 16.02.35 lost connection with internet in my two devices, it says "You are offline. Check your connection"... but it's nothing wrong with my connection. Everyone else can watch native YouTube in home, me included. Is there someone else with the same issue?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi 11
A moment ago and all of a sudden, Vanced non root version 16.02.35 lost connection with internet in my two devices, it says "You are offline. Check your connection"... but it's nothing wrong with my connection. Everyone else can watch native YouTube in home, me included. Is there someone else with the same issue?

With root, no problem for me

Maybe you have some problem with Micro-G. Btw, latest Vanced version is 16.29.39 (but some, with non-root, prefer older versions)

celestialspring

Sep 19, 2010
Microg issue.

Force close Micro g. Clear cache and data.

Hopefully should work.

TinySoul

Feb 18, 2016
Happens to me from time to time on non-root version. Usually a simple refresh is good enough. On rare occasions I have to close and open the app again. Never had a need to forcefully terminate MicroG and clear cache.

Don't really know why Vanced has a dependency on MicroG when there are apps which can directly log into YouTube account without it.

Reactions: The Analog Kid

The Analog Kid

Dec 5, 2013
Happens to me from time to time on non-root version. Usually a simple refresh is good enough. On rare occasions I have to close and open the app again. Never had a need to forcefully terminate MicroG and clear cache.

Don't really know why Vanced has a dependency on MicroG when there are apps which can directly log into YouTube account without it.
I already did so, no Vanced yet. I've been using non root for long time and this one never ever happened before. I'm trying reinstalling the app and see. I don't want updating past this version because of the "cast" issue with microG.

TinySoul

Feb 18, 2016
I already did so, no Vanced yet. I've been using non root for long time and this one never ever happened before. I'm trying reinstalling the app and see. I don't want updating past this version because of the "cast" issue with microG.
Well then I don't really know the problem at your end.

Try one more thing. Uninstall the current version.
Install version 15.43.42 and the corresponding MicroG (sorry I don't remember the microg version and don't know if the latest version will work or not)
Assuming you got hold of the correct microg version for this version of Vanced. Now update to the Vanced version you want, don't update MicroG yet.

See if things are working fine. If not then you will need to upgrade the microg too and prehaps you are back to the issue you started with 🙄

Also try changing the order of installing the app i.e Vanced first or MicroG first.

And sorry if it still doesn't works for you.

Reactions: The Analog Kid

The Analog Kid

Dec 5, 2013
Well then I don't really know the problem at your end.

Try one more thing. Uninstall the current version.
Install version 15.43.42 and the corresponding MicroG (sorry I don't remember the microg version and don't know if the latest version will work or not)
Assuming you got hold of the correct microg version for this version of Vanced. Now update to the Vanced version you want, don't update MicroG yet.

See if things are working fine. If not then you will need to upgrade the microg too and prehaps you are back to the issue you started with 🙄

Also try changing the order of installing the app i.e Vanced first or MicroG first.

And sorry if it still doesn't works for you.
The latest microG actually works with 15.43.32 version. Vanced is back and working. Later, I will try updating to 16.02.35...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mod Edit├┤Closing note. YouTube Vanced lives on in ReVanced (not affiliated with Vanced)├

‼️Before asking or posting anything, please read the first and second posts.‼️

Always check the official Vanced website or XDA thread when downloading. Other sites are fake, contain advertisements (possibly even malware), and have older versions.

Vanced Banner-01-01.png

Vanced is a well-known modded version of the YouTube app with many features such as ad-blocking and background playback. Vanced also offers some extra features to enhance the user experience. The entire list is available below:

Features:

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Since YouTube v14.41.52, Google has moved to split APKs format. The Android package installer doesn't support Split apks yet, so we are now using Vanced manager for installing all vanced apps. The steps to use the vanced manager are below:
    Especially for MIUI, there's a separate guide that can be accessed using this link. For all other devices, please follow below:

For Non-Root:
    1. Install Vanced Manager
    2. Open Vanced Manager and tap the blue arrow in the lower right corner.
    3. Begin installing Vanced microG. (Without which you won't be able to install Vanced (or Music Vanced) or use login)
    4. Then install Vanced (or Music Vanced), log in to your account and enjoy!
    For Root:
    1. Install Vanced Manager
    2. Open Vanced manager and tap on the "Magisk" icon to grant root permissions.​
    3. Once you are in, begin installing Vanced (or Music Vanced).​

Important information:

• We replaced our root installation with vanced manager, which directly mounts vanced on top of Youtube in the /data/app directory, making it easier and faster than before.
    • Vanced will not block ads while casting since when you use the casting feature, it doesn't send the video from your phone to the Chromecast/TV. Instead, your phone acts like a remote controller for the youtube app in your Chromecast/TV. That is why the advertisement is displayed.
    • Purchasing items in the non-root version of the app will not work as microG doesn't support it. Hence, it is preferable to use the original YouTube app or using the web version for any purchase.
    • If your videos are lagging or the application starts to crash while watching live videos, please enable VP9 codec from codec override present under vanced settings. Google forced the ExoPlayer v2, which is highly experimental and unstable on unsupported devices.
    • YouTube has dropped support for Android 5 (Lollipop) with v17.xx.xx. Hence, the minimum supported version is now Android 6 and above.

Known bugs:

• Swipe down gesture for refreshing home feed breaks randomly. It's an issue with litho that only Google can fix. There's nothing we can do to fix it. (Tap here to learn more)
    • As of v16.16.38, casting won't work due to an upstream microG bug. (Tap here to learn more)
    • On portrait/vertical videos, preferred quality options do not work.
    • Swipe controls triggers when swiping either upwards or downwards to scroll through description or in live chat when in landscape mode.
    • On new action bar layouts(server-sided feature), the new toggles won't work.
    • Info cards toggle is broken (Temp fix: Disable it through your Google account settings. This setting disables info cards everywhere.)
    • App crashes with java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError while playing some video outside of vanced.
    • Manual codec override is broken and very experimental.
    • Some users might face geographical ads on YouTube Shorts tab.
    • SponsorBlock segments at the end of videos in playlists causes playback on the next video to start where the previous one ended.

Social links

Thread Managed by @ZaneZam, @Razerman, @KevinX8 and @laura almeida

BUG Reports:

Steps to do before reporting a bug:
    1. Do a search and see if it has already been reported
    2. Check that the bug is actually a Vanced bug and doesn't happen in the original YouTube.
    Steps to do when reporting a bug:
    1. Make sure you are being enough descriptive of the problem.
    2. Take a logcat (Google search if you don't know how). Especially if the issue is a crash.
    3. Taking pictures of the problem doesn't hurt.
    4. If the report is vague (missing information), it will most likely just be ignored. If you are not going to show any effort in resolving the problem, why should I?
    Bug report template:
    1. Vanced exact version number (Do NOT say latest).
    2. Download link used to download Vanced.
    3. Installation method (whether user SAI or Vanced Manager)
    4. Device.
    5. ROM (optional may not help).
    6. Any applied Substratum/swift overlays.
    7. Logs if there are any crashes/force closes (upload to Pastebin or hastebin or katbin) and paste the link of it with your report. [Check here to know how to get logs]
    8. A brief description of the issue
    9. Any installed mods to the system.
    10. Test your issue on the stock youtube app

Important links:

Downloads:

Alternative Mirrors for pre 15.x: AFH Mediafire
    New site up https://vanced.azurewebsites.net/ with latest version of YouTube as base (13.10). Includes some bugfixes and other changes detailed on discord. At the time of writing this post apkmirror lacks apks for arm so you will have to wait a while until it has them and then we will be able to make arm root builds.
    New update is out v13.28.54 with following changes:
    - 13.28.53 Full width search bar fix
    - Translation support for more strings
    - HDR brightness bug fixed when using swipe controls
    - Auto repeat can now be linked to autoplay toggle
    - Top-Swipe paddig range added
    - Seek buttons fixed
    - COMPLETE REWORK of all mods for v13.27+ versions (many thx and all credits to @Razerman !!)