• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP] Modded Ziggo TV [Dutch]

Search This thread

namaste74

Jan 11, 2008
Last edited:

Joolee

Sep 12, 2007
Den Haag
I've read an old blogpost once that explained how to change the Ziggo app. The app searches for the su binary so the writer simply unpacked the apk and used a hex editor to replace the hex equivalent of the location of the su binary to something non-existant like /usr/bin/foo. After the modification, re-pack and self-sign the package.

Most important part, don't forget to share :D

Thronesmasher

Oct 28, 2010
Stormpolder
I've read an old blogpost once that explained how to change the Ziggo app. The app searches for the su binary so the writer simply unpacked the apk and used a hex editor to replace the hex equivalent of the location of the su binary to something non-existant like /usr/bin/foo. After the modification, re-pack and self-sign the package.

it looks like the new app doesn't have the same su checker string in the liblifevibes_player_arm.so files as the previous version, I guess they have modified the root check method, I'll have to take a further look at it

Joolee

Sep 12, 2007
Den Haag
it looks like the new app doesn't have the same su checker string in the liblifevibes_player_arm.so files as the previous version, I guess they have modified the root check method, I'll have to take a further look at it
I'm seeing reports on Tweakers.net that the latest app works out of the box for some. It doesn't do anything other that crash for me so I can't test it :p Running CM11 preview on One X

Last edited:
Reactions: kennkanniff

P1nGu1n_

Feb 13, 2013

Unfortunately the blogpost is deleted. However I do know how it used to be, until 3.2.0:
It if folders container su-binary existed i believe, the folders were hardcoded in liblifevibes_openplayer_arm11.so and liblifevibes_openplayer_armA8.so. These were the strings:
hex.PNG

Simply decompiling, replacing
Code:
string:  bin/su
HEX:     62 69 6e 2f 73 75
by
Code:
string:  xxx/su
HEX:     78 78 78 2f 73 75
and recompiling did it. However I cannot find such strings in 3.2.1...

According to tweakers.net, they changed their player to NXP. Therafter, the playstore changelog lists "Nieuwe player: Hogere beeldkwaliteit voor een groot aantal apparaten", which means they changed the player, resulting in a highter videoquality, and "Aangepaste root controle voor o.a. de Sony Xperia Z1, Samsung Mega en de LG G2.", which means they changed the way they detect root for several devices.

Edit: I think they just upgraded the player, NXP is the creator of LiveVibes, which they used in the previous version too.
Edit 2: It's quite bizarre, however it just works on my rooted HTC One X and Note 10.1 without any mods!

Last edited:

namaste74

Jan 11, 2008
Is er inmiddels al een modded versie gemaakt van de nieuwste versie van de app??

Geen nederlands hier, graag in het engels vraagen.

*No dutch here please, please ask in english.

No new modded version has been made, but if you read closely some have had the app working on rooted devices without work-arounds and some (like me) use root cloak xposed module to make it work. Have not tried personally in some time without root cloak but in January it didn't work for me.

kevroy

Jun 8, 2011
Well it doesn't work on my TF101 with Katkiss4.4.2-15 till 4.4.2.-19 (doesnt matter which device, runs all eventually on same OS). Even with hiding root in superSU, it doesn't work anymore.

I can only watch the stream with the modded Ziggo TV App (https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqsc14m3uvjla25/Ziggo TV.apk), but then i can watch only Non HD streams, because if i watch HD stream like NGC HD (and ye i have like 20/30mbit, enough to watch HD streams; n-band), it stutters like hell.

Can somebody like into this or make an Hacked Ziggo TV APP for the newest Ziggo App release so we can also watch the HD streams again?

Edit: Neither doesnt work on Omnimod 4.4.2.

The modded Ziggo TV app needs to be updated the the newest please, without root check. The newest Ziggo TV App uses a different videoplayer, which enables watching HD Streams.

Last edited:

namaste74

Jan 11, 2008
Odd, I don't require this version or root cloaks anymore to run the official app. On my HTC One and my Nexus 10, both rooted, the official ziggo app runs fine with no obvious root checks taking place or hindering my viewing.

Well it doesn't work on my TF101 with Katkiss4.4.2-15 till 4.4.2.-19 (doesnt matter which device, runs all eventually on same OS). Even with hiding root in superSU, it doesn't work anymore.

I can only watch the stream with the modded Ziggo TV App (https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqsc14m3uvjla25/Ziggo TV.apk), but then i can watch only Non HD streams, because if i watch HD stream like NGC HD (and ye i have like 20/30mbit, enough to watch HD streams; n-band), it stutters like hell.

Can somebody like into this or make an Hacked Ziggo TV APP for the newest Ziggo App release so we can also watch the HD streams again?

Edit: Neither doesnt work on Omnimod 4.4.2.

The modded Ziggo TV app needs to be updated the the newest please, without root check. The newest Ziggo TV App uses a different videoplayer, which enables watching HD Streams.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone,

I've modded the Ziggo TV app to disable the root checker.
    There have been some workarounds such as hiding root in the SuperSU app etc., only this doesn't work with custom firmware like the newest CM10.1 and 10.2.
    By disabling the root checker in this APK it's now possible to use it on all modified firmware.
    This way everybody who is using a custom rom is now able to watch Ziggo TV when they have a Ziggo tv/internet abbonnement.
    The file version is 3.11 so it's the latest available update from Ziggo.
    At the moment I've tested it at a GT-I9001 phone, but i'm pretty sure it will work for other phones as well.
    My advice for those people is just test it and report back please.
    If problems occur I'll try tot fix those for you. Also when screenshots are wanted i'll be happy to post them for you.
    The download link is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aqsc14m3uvjla25/Ziggo%20TV.apk

If somebody is interested in the steps I took to modify the app, just let me know and I'll make a tutorial.

Greetings PsychoGame
    Any update to report?

Would be very glad with a working Ziggo version 5.0.21 with rootcheck disabled. The V3 does not work on lollipop :(
    I have some more time in the upcoming week (carnavalsvakantie), I hope to figure out the missing pieces...

Sent from my phone, please forgive any tpyos.
    Ziggo released a new update. Any possibilities to decompile it so it can work with root?

Xposed module Rootcloack doesn't work anymore.

I haven't received the new update yet, but I will look at it once I finished other projects and got some time :good:
    That would be great! the old version works (v3.2.2) great on rooted devices, somehow the new version does not play nice with a rooted device (Note3 with Xposed rootcloak/S3 with Neatrom/TF300T rooted stock).
    apk file is here: MEGA

It would be really great if the new version would work again on rooted devices, i had to revert back to 3.2.2 version too in order to get it to work again. I will keep an eye on this thread. Thanks in advance for all your efforts on this app. (btw, i already complained with ziggo that the app is no longer working after the update, i need this app because of a son with Autism, Ziggo didn't seem to care :( )

Just re-install previous version. Still works on my rooted S3 with Blekota 4.4.4.

I already did some digging in the APK. (warning: tech talk) The messed up thing is that the root detection happens in a native library in the app, instead of the java. I know where they detect it (liblifevibes_player_arm11.so and liblifevibes_player_arm8.so), but not yet how. I hope to find out a way to decompile those libraries to a higher level language so they are readable instead of assembly.