• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP][Moto Display]Activate Moto Display by waving over proximity sensor

Search This thread

SayantanRC

Jan 26, 2016
Kharagpur
Hello everybody.
We all know that Moto Display is very useful and shows incoming notification. In Moto G and E devices, it activates when the phone is moved from its position, or when a flip cover over the phone is opened. However I have heard that in Moto X devices, it activates even if you wave over the proximity sensor.
So I thought of making a small app that does the same. It is on Play Store.
MotoDisplay handwave
This might be helpful to some people like me. Do hit the Thanks button if it helped you. Also rate the app a five star ??

TO BE USED ONLY ON STOCK FIRMWARE. NO CUSTOM ROMS SUPPORTED

vlahan

Apr 4, 2017
This is a great app, I was missing a lot this feature when moving from Moto X!

Please consider using the Android ActivityRecognitionAPI to trigger the moto display only if the phone is in the "STILL" state. Otherwise the battery will be drained pretty fast when carrying the phone in the pocket, etc.

--Vlado

SayantanRC

Jan 26, 2016
Kharagpur
This is a great app, I was missing a lot this feature when moving from Moto X!

Please consider using the Android ActivityRecognitionAPI to trigger the moto display only if the phone is in the "STILL" state. Otherwise the battery will be drained pretty fast when carrying the phone in the pocket, etc.

--Vlado

Thanks for the suggestion, will obviously look into it.
Regarding battery drain, the proximity sensor is always on even if this app is not used (Moto Display activates if you keep the proximity covered for some time and then remove the cover).
Also the app has been designed so that it won't activate MD if the phone is in pocket.

vlahan

Apr 4, 2017
Thanks for the clarification, I was not aware that the proximity sensor is always on. You are right, the Moto Display turns on when the phone is taken out of a pocket, etc. Now I just wonder why Motorola decided not to offer this as part of the stock application. To protect Moto X sales?

--Vlado

SayantanRC

Jan 26, 2016
Kharagpur
Thanks for the clarification, I was not aware that the proximity sensor is always on. You are right, the Moto Display turns on when the phone is taken out of a pocket, etc. Now I just wonder why Motorola decided not to offer this as part of the stock application. To protect Moto X sales?

--Vlado

Not sure whether even Moto Z has this feature or not

Jaocagomez

Sep 4, 2010
Mexico Culiacan
This feature its reserved for the more expensive moto z & moto z play, good job for doing this.

if you want to translate it to spanish just send me the file and i'll do it for free. my email its my username ;) and obviously on gmail.

Last edited:
Reactions: SayantanRC

ckret

Sep 22, 2010
Hello everybody.
We all know that Moto Display is very useful and shows incoming notification. In Moto G and E devices, it activates when the phone is moved from its position, or when a flip cover over the phone is opened. However I have heard that in Moto X devices, it activates even if you wave over the proximity sensor.
MotoDisplay handwave
This might be helpful to some people like me. Do hit the Thanks button if it helped you. Also rate the app a five star

works well
if you like i can translate it to german
send me the string.xml

SayantanRC

Jan 26, 2016
Kharagpur
Might be a stupid question, but does it still work if you are rooted?

Not a stupid question. I did mention that the ROM needs to be stock ROM. So this confusion might arise.
This app has nothing to do with root directly. It doesn't check for safety net. It will work whether you are rooted or not.
There is however an exception. If you use any root based utility to uninstall Moto Display apk from system, this app will no longer work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everybody.
    MotoDisplay handwave
    This might be helpful to some people like me. Do hit the Thanks button if it helped you. Also rate the app a five star ??

Hello everybody.
    MotoDisplay handwave
    This might be helpful to some people like me. Do hit the Thanks button if it helped you. Also rate the app a five star

works well
    if you like i can translate it to german
    send me the string.xml
    Nah , not working on G5 Plus Oreo 8.1
    Utility not worked in Oreo Moto G5 plus
    This feature its reserved for the more expensive moto z & moto z play, good job for doing this.

if you want to translate it to spanish just send me the file and i'll do it for free. my email its my username ;) and obviously on gmail.