[APP] NaviComputer – Offline GPS Mapping Software [UPDATE v0.96 - 2011-06-23]

Search This thread

Heinz-57

Mar 9, 2009
Hallo,
ich habe ein (kostenloses) Programm entdeckt, mit dem man ebenfalls eine Route als gpx am PC aufzeichnen kann. Es ist speziell zum Wandern geeignet, da großenteils auch die Wegmarkierungen vorhanden sind: "Wanderreitkarte.de". Man kann die Route als gpx editieren, aber die Karte auch ausdrucken- finde ich sehr gut.
Zum Bearbeiten der gpx-Datei benütze ich "RouteConverter 2.5". Die geladene gpx kann man dann in verschiedenen Kartendarstellungen bearbeiten (Punkte verschieben, löschen, hinzufügen...). Toll ist auch die Funktion "Vervollständigen Höhe". Bei meinen GPS- Aufzeichnungen (Navicomputer mit HTC Touch HD) sind oftmals Höhenfehler (Sprünge usw.) vorhanden, diese kann man mit diser Funktion eliminieren!!

Hello,
I discovered a freeware program which enables gpx tracking on PC too. It works especially for hikers, because ist shows in most cases the way- signs: "Wanderreitkarte.de". It is possible to edit the track or make a hard copy of the map- I find it great.
For handling of the gpx- file I use "RouteConverter 2.5". The loaded gpx- file can be shown in different Map Sources and managed (move points, delete, add..). Really great is the option "Vervollständigen Höhe" (complete height). In my GPS- recordings (Navicomputer with HTC Touch HD) I find very often height failures (steps etc.), it is easy to eliminate these with this function!
Have fun
Heinz

starbright_

Apr 11, 2010
Just installed it and at the first glance I like this programm very much. Thank you!

3 issues to think about:

"Center to current position" would be worth a icon on map-view. I would be nice to configure some out-of-center range. This could prevent, that map is moving for every new position. To save energy on mobile it would be better, to move map only if it is ~50% out of center. Also for energy saving it would be nice to have an option for the aquire-position-interval, so for pedestrians it may be sufficient to get a position once a minute.

Although your solution (a compact map) is smaller, it is incompatible with most other OSM programs, which use the tiles. So I have to download them all again. It would be perfect to have the option to use either a nmap or the *.png tiles. Can you provide a tool for converting tiles to nmap and back?

The other minor issue is regarding handling of the mapper tool. It uses an non standard handling. Usually with left mouse you can move and with right mouse you can select the area - you implement it the other way around. Also it would be a nice addon if it is possible to change the area after release of mouse button again.

But again, that are minor issue, just as an idea. Well done!

Last edited:

uwe347

Jun 28, 2010
Hannover
png2nmap-converter and nmap-modifier-tool

Hi starbright_,
to your second wish: I don't think, that it is a good idea to use .png-tiles stored in a directory structure on the mobile, but this is a matter I leave to the programmer of NaviComputer.

But there is a small tool to convert *.png and *.jpeg from directory structure to .nmap - database format. Originally created for the use of NaviComputer together with Linux (cause NaviMapper as the .nmap-creating tool only was available for Windows), this tool is really doing what you asked for: converting tiles to nmap. Look at my post #1076 in this thread ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=6977980&postcount=1076 ) You need a python interpreter to use it, so if you don't have it already, go here: http://docs.python.org/using/index.html and look for the chapter "Using python on ..." for your operating system.

At the moment there is no conversion back from .nmap to .png, because I had no need for that, but if you have a little knowledge on programming it is very easy to modify the python script to do that. If you have any questions, donn't hesitate to ask me (u.dahms(at)arcor.de).

In the meantime I developed another tool for manipulating .nmap-files. It has no GUI and is only terminal-oriented, but nevertheless easy to understand and perhaps can give you some more idea on how to program a tool for your own needs. Type "nmt --help" to get advice for usage. Perhaps you will find some useful functions already without modifying. For example there is an option to extract a tile from the .nmap database to .png/.jpeg file.

Regards,
uwe347

NEW VERSION: I changed the name to 'nmm', because it is an .nmap-modifier now and very flexible. Sorry that I don't have a howto or readme yet. Call 'nmm --help' to get some advice.
NEW VERSION: Now also supports bing map and bing satellite. Elaborated README with howto and detailed description of all options added.

Attachments

• nmm-2011-07-05a.zip
    31.8 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Reactions: starbright_

McKinnisG

Aug 8, 2008
Choctaw, Oklahoma
Serious Help Needed......

For anyone willing to help me, Thank you very much in advance!!

I've been a very long time user of NaviComputer and have lost some of my personal files. The files I'm referring to are my "MapSources.xml" files I created utilizing certain Map, Satellite and Hybrid maps sources that are difficult to figure out and obtain (download). Those of you that could help me know what I'm talking about.

I'm a professional storm chaser here in the United States and I use my HTC HD2 like most people use their laptops. I had to replace my defective phone and was unable to backup my files (like a Dumb @$$) before it locked up on me and now I can't find my original files on my laptop. I need those files ASAP if you can imagine with all the weather activity going on here this Spring in the US.

My question is simply if anyone is willing to assist me with the new and correct "MapSources.xml" I need to re-download my current maps files, please PM me as soon as possible. Again, I thank those of you willing to help me in advance!

By reading the last years worth of posted, most of you may not be aware that the majority of ALL the programs out there that normally would download and then convert the tiles for you from the sources, have all stopped allowing their programs from obtaining those files (like mobac.sourceforge.net for example). They too have pretty much got everyone crossed out now.

Again PM me if you are willing to assist.

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
LOVE THE PROGRAM !
:D

Just curious , any good websites to get topographical maps from ? also , would saving an image of a satelite map as a jpeg then converting it to nmap work ? i want to use this program for when we go dirt bike riding . there are over 100 acres of land and we tend to get lost -.-

uwe347

Jun 28, 2010
Hannover
elesbb : look at this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=14590663&postcount=1283
A source for GoogleSat is in there, it worked for me at least yesterday (look for 'constructor_GSAT' in nmm). Google changes tile server adress from time to time and they seem to have implemented a restriction on mass downloads - I received "HTTP error 505 service unavailable" after several thousand tiles. My tool suppoorts to restart the download later to add the missing tiles into the .nmap file, e.g. next day when limit is available again.

Last edited:
Reactions: tell_htc_hd2

pedrokhun

Jul 7, 2011
Left softkey problem.

Hi,

I downloaded today NaviComputer v0.96 (read this question from another user, but it had v0.9).
My problem is can't toggle the view soft key, it seems disabled.
The right key, MENU, is visible and useable.
How can I use this key?

My PDA is a ZTE N61.
Windows Mobile 6.1
Display 240 * 320

Pedro

elesbb

Jun 20, 2010
elesbb : look at this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=14590663&postcount=1283
A source for GoogleSat is in there, it worked for me at least yesterday (look for 'constructor_GSAT' in nmm). Google changes tile server adress from time to time and they seem to have implemented a restriction on mass downloads - I received "HTTP error 505 service unavailable" after several thousand tiles. My tool suppoorts to restart the download later to add the missing tiles into the .nmap file, e.g. next day when limit is available again.

Hey i downloaded the zip attatchment and could not find a "constructor_GSAT" in it .. am i doing something wrong ?
EDIT: I lied . lol i found the "nmm" file and opened it via notepad and found the "construct_GSAT" .. however i cant seem to get the script to run using cmd . i did install this -http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.2/ from python and clicked the Windows x86-64 MSI installer (i have 64bit OS) and i installed that .. but when running cmd i get an error that "python" is not recognized as an internal or external comand or batch file ...
I really appreciate your help ! Thanks so much !!

Last edited:

uwe347

Jun 28, 2010
Hannover
... i did install this -http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.2/ from python and clicked the Windows x86-64 MSI installer (i have 64bit OS) and i installed that .. but when running cmd i get an error that "python" is not recognized as an internal or external comand or batch file ...

Hi elesbb,
(...sorry for late answer, I was on holidays...)
I'm not a windows expert, because mainly using linux, so I'm not sure...
One reason could be, that your new python installation is not in the PATH of your system. Try to find out, where the MSI installer placed the python.exe -file and start it from there. If this works, you can add this directory to the path variable.
If this doesn't work: Look at my small homepage, i reference another python-implementation (ActivePython), which i got to work at a friend's windows computer (but it was 32-bit). Also try to use 2.x-python version, because my script is not 3.x-compatible, i think.
Please let us all know, how you succeeded.
Uwe

Last edited:

uwe347

Jun 28, 2010
Hannover
.cab -file for Linux-users

Hi,
for all those, who don't have a windows computer available and are not able to run the .exe -installer this is the .cab-file of NaviComputer 0.96. Maps can be dowloaded with Mobile Atlas Creator. Additionally, this tool could be useful (look at the README-file).

I run NaviComputer for more than a year without having a windows computer (Linux only: Ubuntu) and it is a really great app !

Attachments

• NaviComputer0.96.CAB
    1.9 MB · Views: 362

tell_htc_hd2

Nov 29, 2009
I think Mobile Atlas Creator is slightly overrated. I know that people push it on this thread and the Navicomputer thread. Mobile Atlas Creator in it's previous incarnations was and is good for some tasks. Version 1.8 is good if you find that via a Google. The developer of Mobile Atlas Creator started to get heavyied by correspondence from the "owners" of the tiles about his project. So he took out the useful stuff and said you the users can negotiate this with the people who own the tiles. There is a Google version to China in there but I suspect that you are posting from China and Google is blocked so you can't access the tiles ?.

Navicomputer comes with Navimapper which manages the tile download or even inside Navicomputer via editing the XML mapsource file, understanding the syntax and using HTTPFox to understand the tile syntax. You can find handy bits of syntax out there on the net as well. People have equally been irritating with Navicomputer and the tiles. The cycle map people for starters that take all of the maps that us OpenStreet contributors have digitised in from our GPS devices and legal tracings but then try and block us from using the maps that they have put their contours on... and they are not their contours either. Their scam is to sell other software for other chosen devices and platforms using "our" OpenStreet maps. This one irritates me.

Looking at your Chinese equivalent of Google Maps I think there could be something strange about the projection. I tried to edit it in to the Navicomputer mapsource purely for educational purposes, it doesn't cover the UK. But issues to me are projection, it uses overlays which the Navimapper software can't accommodate and basically I couldn't get it to work.

I tend to use the tile extraction of Navicomputer for 90 percent of my downloads and Mobile Atlas version mentioned for the other 10 percent. You have to invest time into understanding the commands. Navicomputer and Navimapper is a tool kit which is very good. I'm busy sorting out my next Japan trip getting the maps, locations and routes. BikeHike is very good for generating GPX tracks for car, bike or walking using the automated router of Google API or OpenStreet or you can free sketch - you toggle show elevation to get rid of the UK OS map and then it allows you to drag the map, otherwise you can't move away from Europe without it going wrong. Google Earth you can use for finding POIs to place to visit then moving them over to Navicomputer. There are lots of tricks you can do with the tools and Navicomputer is a god send for not getting you lost and being able to navigate to places that you would never get to otherwise.

Last edited:

Sigi_cz

May 18, 2010
center GPS position

+1 for "center GPS position" map icon (square with dot inside?) - that would be extremely usefull for me

add track autosave with filename format "datetime". Now it's only "date" and you need to add something if you are saving more then one track/day. And option to real "autosave", so you only stop tracking, and track will save itself.

maybe more transparent GUI (mainly the + - icons) and bigger fullscreen (add menu icon)

nice program, but still need some love :)
TY Sigi

trevor12

Apr 27, 2011
win mobile 5 phone edition

Can I ask you I have htc x7500 athena with win mobile 5 phone edition, after succesful installed Navicomputer 0.96 I prepared *.nmap via Mobile Atlas Creator (MOBAC) 1.9 beta 1 where is possible use Google maps (newer version of mobac disabled source Google maps). I selected zoom level 15 (minimum for street´s name viewing) and area Prague, resulted *.nmap has 127 MB. After copying this file to correct directory in device \Program Files\NaviComputer\Maps I started program NaviComputer but I cannot load this file via Options .. Is it my mistake that I have win mob 5 and not 6 or is it bug in the program ? Also no sattelites (gps) were detected. May I ask you in the future version of NaviComputer fix this error and release that version for users of windows mobile 5 version too ?

bart3385

Jul 6, 2010
This is the best GPS Map software i've used for a long time in my Windows Mobile days. Will you be making a version for this for Android?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Remark: Please do not upload or mirror this software on any other websites or servers without my explicit permission. Thanks.

NaviComputer v0.96

NaviComputer is a GPS mapping and offroad navigation/tracking software designed for windows mobile devices.

What makes NaviComputer outstanding is the ability to view maps offline, so there is no need for internet connection or dataplan when you are on a trip.
    Maps can be easily downloaded from various online map sources like OpenStreetMap either with the bundled PC software “NaviMapper” or directly with NaviComputer on the mobile device. Maps are saved as single, easy to handle and space-saving files.

Screen10.jpg

NaviComputer also allows you to track your movement, display information such as distance travelled, speed or elevation profile and save your tracks in the common gpx format. Gpx-files with tracks, routes and waypoints / POI can be imported as well, so for example you can follow imported tracks on the map.

Screen01.png
    Screen05.png
    Screen02.png

Screen11.png
    Screen09.png

Screen04.png
    Screen06.png
    Screen07.png
    Screen08.png
    CompassView.png

With these features, NaviComputer is the perfect solution for all kinds of outdoor sports, adventurers, city sightseeing trips etc.

Features:
    - Offline map navigation without internet connection/dataplan
    - Easy map download from online mapsources like OpenStreetMap
    - Finger friendly and fluid user interface
    - Track recording with statistics like time, distance, average speed and elevation profile
    - GPS Compass view
    - Conform to the common gpx file format (import and export)
    - Multilingual userinterface (English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch)

Device Requirements:
    - Windows Mobile 6 operating system
    - WVGA, VGA, QWVGA or QVGA touch display
    - .NET Compact Framework 3.5 installed
    - GPS receiver (internal gps receiver recommended, but external receivers may work as well)

PC Requirements:
    - Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 OS
    - .NET Framework 3.5 installed
    - Internet access
    - Active Sync (for installation) recommended

Installation:
    Connect your device to Active Sync and run the .exe installer
    This will install NaviComputer on your device and NaviMapper on your PC.
    If you cannot use activesync, you will find the CAB in your program directory after running the setup.

Download
    Download link as well as further information, blog and changelog can be found on the new
    NaviComputer Website.

ChangeLog
    Complete changelog as well as a short introduction video to version 0.90 can be viewed in the
    NaviComputer Blog.

Support Development

NaviComputer is free to use for everyone. However, I have spent a lot of time and effort for development and I’m going to spend a lot of time in future for further development and improvements.

If you like this software and use it regularly, please donate to support further development and encouragement.

After donating any amount (just donate what you can afford or what you think is adequate) you will get a personal license file via email. The donation hint which comes up after regular use on startup every now and then, won’t come up again then. You will also get subscribed to NaviComputer Newsletter which will inform you about updates and new releases.

Paypal links:
    Donate €
    Donate $
    If you can’t use Paypal, please send me an Email

Thanks for your support!
    Ok guys, I will try to fix this Windows 7 issue. I hope I will find the problem (without actually having Win7)

If you can give me symbols for the desktop version, I can try to debug into it and see where it gets stuck. Unfortunately, without symbols, it's almost as hard to do as without Windows 7:)) I could decompile the application, but that's too much effort:)

Regarding protecting yourself against Google Maps User Agreement, sorry, I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that when I was researching the subject, I saw in a few places, that Google Maps doesn't allow you to cache their maps, Microsoft does, that's why they have a lot of corporate clients using their APIs.
    And if you will stop distributing desktop version of the software, then your mobile version will become more or less useless, cause you can never get the maps into it:-(
    This post is a question
    The Navi computer program is the best I have used so far THANKS .
    However, I tried to use it with an external BT antenna, it always defaults to internal GPS antenna.
    How can I select the com port, to use Navi computer, with an external BT antenna.
    My TomTom program allows me to select the BT com port and it automatically closes internal GPS and opens bluetooth GPS.
    My HTC P3650 Touch cruise (polaris), is equiped with WM 6.1
    I have searched the net and found a reg hack in navicomputer blog/?p=14
    I think they are for other models and did not work for my HTC touch cruise P3650, Polaris.
    Is there any body who could help me.

Use GPSMOD and then set the external COM port for BT receive as priority in GPSMOD setup, you have to put value as 0 for it to have high priority, that causes your BT device to be used than internal.
    Another easy method would be to switch OFF phone function and leave bluetooth ON, that would naturally make your BT device to be chosen, but it's not recommended
    thanks a lot great app
    but can someone make a mapsource.xlm for( www geoportail fr)please
    there great hikingmaps for france

I looked at it, I didn't have any joy. Some of these Navicomputer doesn't handle, could be one.
    png2nmap-converter and nmap-modifier-tool

Hi starbright_,
    to your second wish: I don't think, that it is a good idea to use .png-tiles stored in a directory structure on the mobile, but this is a matter I leave to the programmer of NaviComputer.

But there is a small tool to convert *.png and *.jpeg from directory structure to .nmap - database format. Originally created for the use of NaviComputer together with Linux (cause NaviMapper as the .nmap-creating tool only was available for Windows), this tool is really doing what you asked for: converting tiles to nmap. Look at my post #1076 in this thread ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=6977980&postcount=1076 ) You need a python interpreter to use it, so if you don't have it already, go here: http://docs.python.org/using/index.html and look for the chapter "Using python on ..." for your operating system.

At the moment there is no conversion back from .nmap to .png, because I had no need for that, but if you have a little knowledge on programming it is very easy to modify the python script to do that. If you have any questions, donn't hesitate to ask me (u.dahms(at)arcor.de).

In the meantime I developed another tool for manipulating .nmap-files. It has no GUI and is only terminal-oriented, but nevertheless easy to understand and perhaps can give you some more idea on how to program a tool for your own needs. Type "nmt --help" to get advice for usage. Perhaps you will find some useful functions already without modifying. For example there is an option to extract a tile from the .nmap database to .png/.jpeg file.

Regards,
    uwe347

NEW VERSION: I changed the name to 'nmm', because it is an .nmap-modifier now and very flexible. Sorry that I don't have a howto or readme yet. Call 'nmm --help' to get some advice.
    NEW VERSION: Now also supports bing map and bing satellite. Elaborated README with howto and detailed description of all options added.