[APP] NaviComputer – Offline GPS Mapping Software [UPDATE v0.96 - 2011-06-23]

Search This thread

Wevenhuis

Nov 10, 2009
Groningen
I'm having issues with navimapper. In the last 24 hours I've been trying to download 4 map areas in Europe with zoom level 17 and 18 only. Things went fine the first 4 hours. After that I kept getting Error messages and re-downloading. After 24 hours of online downloading roughly 1000-2000 tiles extra were downloaded, but nowhere near finished. The downloading kept going. What is causing these errors? What can I do to prevent errors, so that the download is complete?

Thanks in advance.

Wevenhuis

Nov 10, 2009
Groningen
Additional info: I am trying to download Google Earth -maps of a certain area and convert to NMAP. In MOBAC I am using zoom levels 14 & 16, and "Tile Store Coverage"-setting is 16. As said, I am successfully getting one level of Google Earth of the required area, but I am not able to zoom in or out, before thrown out of the GE map.

I would very much like to download level 18, but somehow MOBAC won't let me. I keep getting an error message.

Any tips on how to fix this?

thanks.

Homer-S

Aug 30, 2006
I'm having issues with navimapper. In the last 24 hours I've been trying to download 4 map areas in Europe with zoom level 17 and 18 only. Things went fine the first 4 hours. After that I kept getting Error messages and re-downloading. After 24 hours of online downloading roughly 1000-2000 tiles extra were downloaded, but nowhere near finished. The downloading kept going. What is causing these errors? What can I do to prevent errors, so that the download is complete?

Thanks in advance.

HI,

try Mobile Atlas Creator for downloading your maps. It is more comfortable and if some error occurs you can retry without downloading all tiles again.

soma900

Nov 21, 2009
calculate the route online, can NaviComputer do it?

Since Navicomputer can connect to the googlemaps to download pics, is there a way to send 2 POI points to the server to calculate the driving route then receive the returned info and display it on the screen like the googlemap webpage does?

r.lepecha

Apr 7, 2010
Leeds,UK
Just a quick saving idea, you can only have the track points minimum of every 5 seconds. Now when ive been out cycling recently ive noticed on some corners it will cut the corner off because between each point is less that 5 seconds. So the distance traveled is wrong.

Its not always a small amount cut off either, its some times a decent distance.
So maybe a setting to save it 1 second a trackpoint would be a good idea.

Other tracking softwares let you track to 1 second but there rubbish compared to this program.

Thanks

annerose

Nov 12, 2009
Is it possible to have more zoom level? 18 is the max zoom level in google map.
when will release next version?
many thk

pistou

Jan 26, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Since Navicomputer can connect to the googlemaps to download pics, is there a way to send 2 POI points to the server to calculate the driving route then receive the returned info and display it on the screen like the googlemap webpage does?

For this I use GMapToGPX (http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/). You just calculate your route using Google Maps on your desktop, then convert it to a GPX file (XML) and load the GPX file onto your device. NaviComputer can use the GPX file to display the desired route on whatever maps you have for that area.

soma900

Nov 21, 2009
For this I use GMapToGPX (http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/). You just calculate your route using Google Maps on your desktop, then convert it to a GPX file (XML) and load the GPX file onto your device. NaviComputer can use the GPX file to display the desired route on whatever maps you have for that area.

I use GMapToGpx on a computer too!

Hi, Pistou,

In the exactly same way I copy the GPX file (with full route information) to the navicomputer and follow the displayed line while I am driving.

I think it would be very convenient to click on the screen of Navicompter, get the route from GMap server without download the map pics (rather huge data flows), and display the line of route on the screen.

It requires embedding some scripts into the Navicomputer program. I suggested the author with this idea. But my suggestions sink to the bottom untill you mentioned it again.

Thanks Pistou!

apoe

Mar 6, 2009
thanks a lot great app
but can someone make a mapsource.xlm for( www geoportail fr)please
there great hikingmaps for france

Last edited:

tell_htc_hd2

Nov 29, 2009
I note that OpenStreetMaps [OSM] i.e. the tile server linked in by the XML file shipped with the NaviComputer application is now trapping the use of zoom levels 17 and 18. I think there was an issue before but OSM relented or Markus got something changed. OpenStreetMap tile server is also rejecting zoom levels 17 / 18 on Mobile Atlas Creator. If you read OSM terms it does say that it is prohibited, so somewhere along the development line they have closed the back door on this if it was left open. The server indexed within the XML file is only allowed for levels up 16 else users down loading tiles hog the server for editing.

The link below provides alternative tile services which use the tiles as published on the OSM wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/List_of_OSM_based_Services

So use of HTTPFox on some of these allows you to find alternative tile servers which give you zoom levels down to 18. The syntax is easy enough to edit into the XML file. Some of the servers are a bit slow whilst some are just as snappy as the OSM edit one. Some change the rendering from the OSM giving a choice [CloudMade] whilst others show the default [Geofabrik]. There are other interesting links on there, as well to alternative maps which may be of use.

The developer doesn't seem to be around recently so with spring in the air and the great outdoors beckoning for rambling one needs the 17/18 zoom levels on your device. Also I'm not convinced that the Navicomputer Blog is being fully serviced e.g. post are getting put up. Thus discussion may be a better place here and I suspect users may be moving towards self help.

Last edited:

extrapurifier

Jan 31, 2008
Down Town
Hä? I spent more than weeks on that and didnt get it running. Please share your MapSources.xml.

bart3385

Jul 6, 2010
I have my whole country in my NaviComputer. Plus a few major cities and provinces of other countries.

Although they are broken into several files. But Navi move from one file to another seamlessly. As if they're all part of one big gigantic file.

neopren66

Sep 2, 2009
Munich
I just installed NaviComputer - and am very happy how it works. In combination with NaviMapper very convenient for those who are not always online. Thanks a lot for this excellent piece of software.

I have just one issue:

I planned a 240km biciyle tour in Google Earth, exportet it to KML and converted it to GPX via this page.

The path is displayed - but unfortunately many points are missing. The original tour has about 1.500 coordinates. NaviComputer shows only every 20th of them (estimated).

Am I doing something wrong? Are there limitations for the number of coordinates? How can i fix it?

Attachments

• tour.zip
    40 KB · Views: 29

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Remark: Please do not upload or mirror this software on any other websites or servers without my explicit permission. Thanks.

NaviComputer v0.96

NaviComputer is a GPS mapping and offroad navigation/tracking software designed for windows mobile devices.

What makes NaviComputer outstanding is the ability to view maps offline, so there is no need for internet connection or dataplan when you are on a trip.
    Maps can be easily downloaded from various online map sources like OpenStreetMap either with the bundled PC software “NaviMapper” or directly with NaviComputer on the mobile device. Maps are saved as single, easy to handle and space-saving files.

Screen10.jpg

NaviComputer also allows you to track your movement, display information such as distance travelled, speed or elevation profile and save your tracks in the common gpx format. Gpx-files with tracks, routes and waypoints / POI can be imported as well, so for example you can follow imported tracks on the map.

Screen01.png
    Screen05.png
    Screen02.png

Screen11.png
    Screen09.png

Screen04.png
    Screen06.png
    Screen07.png
    Screen08.png
    CompassView.png

With these features, NaviComputer is the perfect solution for all kinds of outdoor sports, adventurers, city sightseeing trips etc.

Features:
    - Offline map navigation without internet connection/dataplan
    - Easy map download from online mapsources like OpenStreetMap
    - Finger friendly and fluid user interface
    - Track recording with statistics like time, distance, average speed and elevation profile
    - GPS Compass view
    - Conform to the common gpx file format (import and export)
    - Multilingual userinterface (English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch)

Device Requirements:
    - Windows Mobile 6 operating system
    - WVGA, VGA, QWVGA or QVGA touch display
    - .NET Compact Framework 3.5 installed
    - GPS receiver (internal gps receiver recommended, but external receivers may work as well)

PC Requirements:
    - Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 OS
    - .NET Framework 3.5 installed
    - Internet access
    - Active Sync (for installation) recommended

Installation:
    Connect your device to Active Sync and run the .exe installer
    This will install NaviComputer on your device and NaviMapper on your PC.
    If you cannot use activesync, you will find the CAB in your program directory after running the setup.

Download
    Download link as well as further information, blog and changelog can be found on the new
    NaviComputer Website.

ChangeLog
    Complete changelog as well as a short introduction video to version 0.90 can be viewed in the
    NaviComputer Blog.

Support Development

NaviComputer is free to use for everyone. However, I have spent a lot of time and effort for development and I’m going to spend a lot of time in future for further development and improvements.

If you like this software and use it regularly, please donate to support further development and encouragement.

After donating any amount (just donate what you can afford or what you think is adequate) you will get a personal license file via email. The donation hint which comes up after regular use on startup every now and then, won’t come up again then. You will also get subscribed to NaviComputer Newsletter which will inform you about updates and new releases.

Paypal links:
    Donate €
    Donate $
    If you can’t use Paypal, please send me an Email

Thanks for your support!
    Ok guys, I will try to fix this Windows 7 issue. I hope I will find the problem (without actually having Win7)

If you can give me symbols for the desktop version, I can try to debug into it and see where it gets stuck. Unfortunately, without symbols, it's almost as hard to do as without Windows 7:)) I could decompile the application, but that's too much effort:)

Regarding protecting yourself against Google Maps User Agreement, sorry, I don't know what to tell you. All I know is that when I was researching the subject, I saw in a few places, that Google Maps doesn't allow you to cache their maps, Microsoft does, that's why they have a lot of corporate clients using their APIs.
    And if you will stop distributing desktop version of the software, then your mobile version will become more or less useless, cause you can never get the maps into it:-(
    This post is a question
    The Navi computer program is the best I have used so far THANKS .
    However, I tried to use it with an external BT antenna, it always defaults to internal GPS antenna.
    How can I select the com port, to use Navi computer, with an external BT antenna.
    My TomTom program allows me to select the BT com port and it automatically closes internal GPS and opens bluetooth GPS.
    My HTC P3650 Touch cruise (polaris), is equiped with WM 6.1
    I have searched the net and found a reg hack in navicomputer blog/?p=14
    I think they are for other models and did not work for my HTC touch cruise P3650, Polaris.
    Is there any body who could help me.

Use GPSMOD and then set the external COM port for BT receive as priority in GPSMOD setup, you have to put value as 0 for it to have high priority, that causes your BT device to be used than internal.
    Another easy method would be to switch OFF phone function and leave bluetooth ON, that would naturally make your BT device to be chosen, but it's not recommended
    thanks a lot great app
    but can someone make a mapsource.xlm for( www geoportail fr)please
    there great hikingmaps for france

I looked at it, I didn't have any joy. Some of these Navicomputer doesn't handle, could be one.
    png2nmap-converter and nmap-modifier-tool

Hi starbright_,
    to your second wish: I don't think, that it is a good idea to use .png-tiles stored in a directory structure on the mobile, but this is a matter I leave to the programmer of NaviComputer.

But there is a small tool to convert *.png and *.jpeg from directory structure to .nmap - database format. Originally created for the use of NaviComputer together with Linux (cause NaviMapper as the .nmap-creating tool only was available for Windows), this tool is really doing what you asked for: converting tiles to nmap. Look at my post #1076 in this thread ( http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=6977980&postcount=1076 ) You need a python interpreter to use it, so if you don't have it already, go here: http://docs.python.org/using/index.html and look for the chapter "Using python on ..." for your operating system.

At the moment there is no conversion back from .nmap to .png, because I had no need for that, but if you have a little knowledge on programming it is very easy to modify the python script to do that. If you have any questions, donn't hesitate to ask me (u.dahms(at)arcor.de).

In the meantime I developed another tool for manipulating .nmap-files. It has no GUI and is only terminal-oriented, but nevertheless easy to understand and perhaps can give you some more idea on how to program a tool for your own needs. Type "nmt --help" to get advice for usage. Perhaps you will find some useful functions already without modifying. For example there is an option to extract a tile from the .nmap database to .png/.jpeg file.

Regards,
    uwe347

NEW VERSION: I changed the name to 'nmm', because it is an .nmap-modifier now and very flexible. Sorry that I don't have a howto or readme yet. Call 'nmm --help' to get some advice.
    NEW VERSION: Now also supports bing map and bing satellite. Elaborated README with howto and detailed description of all options added.