• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[app]Nexus 7 External Flash Picture Viewer & Media Streamer

Search This thread

thewolf

Apr 30, 2007
NMI and XPERIA Z1?

Hi,

does anybody have experiences with the combination of NMI and the XPERIA Z1 in accessing NTFS formatted harddisks? I am receiving timeouts while NMI tries to mount the harddisk (the harddisks works fine with NMI on my Nexus 7-2013, as long as I set ithat to english).

Regards,
TheWolf

bubblesmoney

Jun 1, 2010
Hi,

does anybody have experiences with the combination of NMI and the XPERIA Z1 in accessing NTFS formatted harddisks? I am receiving timeouts while NMI tries to mount the harddisk (the harddisks works fine with NMI on my Nexus 7-2013, as long as I set ithat to english).

Regards,
TheWolf

i havent tried with a sony z1 but under the settings there is some option for fiddling with time for scan etc as far as i remember. try that option out.

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
i havent tried with a sony z1 but under the settings there is some option for fiddling with time for scan etc as far as i remember. try that option out.

It may work, but I strongly recommend using a powered USB Hub if you are going to do this. It is a bad idea to connect a bus powered USB drive to your phone. If you hear the hard drive clicking or spinning up and down, stop immediately.

thewolf

Apr 30, 2007
It may work, but I strongly recommend using a powered USB Hub if you are going to do this. It is a bad idea to connect a bus powered USB drive to your phone. If you hear the hard drive clicking or spinning up and down, stop immediately.

Of course! I use either a Y-OTG cable with power connection or a powered hub and connect the power und harddisk first, so the harddisk has already spun up, when I connect the phone and NMI comes into play.

Current state:
- XPERIA Z1: Phone work with FAT32-formatted USB stick (Flash) out-of-box, when using a NTFS-formatted harddisk (WD MyPassport 2TB), NMI recognizes the disk, but then says connecting (waiting for media) and nothing else happens.
- XPERIA S 4.2.2: everything works with USB hub, with Y-OTG-cable OS claims device is using too much power and disconnects device
- Nexus 7 (2013) 4.3: everything works when booting in English (USA), however it seems things get stuck up after a while and I have to disconnect and reconnect
- Nexus 7 (2013) 4.4:everything works

Regards,
TheWolf

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
Of course! I use either a Y-OTG cable with power connection or a powered hub and connect the power und harddisk first, so the harddisk has already spun up, when I connect the phone and NMI comes into play.

Current state:
- XPERIA Z1: Phone work with FAT32-formatted USB stick (Flash) out-of-box, when using a NTFS-formatted harddisk (WD MyPassport 2TB), NMI recognizes the disk, but then says connecting (waiting for media) and nothing else happens.
- XPERIA S 4.2.2: everything works with USB hub, with Y-OTG-cable OS claims device is using too much power and disconnects device
- Nexus 7 (2013) 4.3: everything works when booting in English (USA), however it seems things get stuck up after a while and I have to disconnect and reconnect
- Nexus 7 (2013) 4.4:everything works

Regards,
TheWolf
A few people have had issues with the 2TB drives. I have not been able to duplicate them (I even purchased one to try). I changed the connection code in 7.1.x, so if you have not updated it might be worth giving it another try.

Jim-W

Nov 3, 2012
New York
4.4 Kit Kat breaks app?

Nexus 7 2013 was upgraded to 4.4 Kit Kat over the weekend. Since then, Nexus Media Importer no longer works. It sees the cable, but is always waiting for media. OTG used to work fine, still works on Note 2, just not on Nexus 7 2013. Using paid version. Any ideas?

LagoonFish

Dec 7, 2013
NMI with Nexus 10 and Sprint GN2 with 4.3

Nexus 7 2013 was upgraded to 4.4 Kit Kat over the weekend. Since then, Nexus Media Importer no longer works. It sees the cable, but is always waiting for media. OTG used to work fine, still works on Note 2, just not on Nexus 7 2013. Using paid version. Any ideas?

I have similar experience, except my experience was rather spotty.

Just got Nexus 10, brand new. The app was able to detect the OTG cable, but rarely able to detect ANY USB drives, which includes CF card reader (I've tried 2 different ones), USB thumb drives (tried 4), and CF cards.

The Galaxy Note 2: before buying the NMI, I was able to use the OTG on everything, even a 100Gb SSD HDD, except the 16Gb CF Card from Lexar. After installing the NMI, it's unable to even detect the OTG cable, not to even mention connecting to any USB devices or drives that I was able to connect before.

Went through the debugging process, didn't help; downloaded the USB Device Info app, and the app couldn't detect anything, including the drives I was able to connect to before.

I purchased the NMI hoping I could take Nexus 10 with me to backup pictures from my Canon 7D, but for now NMI seems to make things worse...

Dustin, if you're still around please let me know how we can troubleshoot together.

Freezy94027

Dec 8, 2013
I have both a Nexus 5 and 7 that exhibit a different problem. There is stuttering when watching videos via the USB port. Strangely, when I first purchased NMI I had no issues with the same videos. But now that there have been updates to both the OS and apps, I no longer have flawless playback. Here are the specs:

Nexus 7 (2013, WIFI), 4.4, KRT16S
Nexus 5, 4.4, KRT16M

NMI v 7.1.2

OTG cable from Amazon per the recommended link
Meenova MicroSD reader
Various USB flash drives and SD card readers

Dice Player v 2.0.49 (latest)
BS Player (latest)

If I copy the file over to the Nexus device and play locally, everything works perfectly. If I stream via SMB the same files from a Seagate Wireless Plus hard drive, everything is smooth. I thought it was my Nexus 7 so I purchased a Nexus 5 phone and have the same problems. It does not matter what combination of hardware and software I use, I get the same results.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks and regards, Peter

Last edited:

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011

KitKat breaks NMI version 6 in this way. If you have not already, update to NMI version 7.x.

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
I have similar experience, except my experience was rather spotty.

Just got Nexus 10, brand new. The app was able to detect the OTG cable, but rarely able to detect ANY USB drives, which includes CF card reader (I've tried 2 different ones), USB thumb drives (tried 4), and CF cards.

The Galaxy Note 2: before buying the NMI, I was able to use the OTG on everything, even a 100Gb SSD HDD, except the 16Gb CF Card from Lexar. After installing the NMI, it's unable to even detect the OTG cable, not to even mention connecting to any USB devices or drives that I was able to connect before.

Went through the debugging process, didn't help; downloaded the USB Device Info app, and the app couldn't detect anything, including the drives I was able to connect to before.

I purchased the NMI hoping I could take Nexus 10 with me to backup pictures from my Canon 7D, but for now NMI seems to make things worse...

Dustin, if you're still around please let me know how we can troubleshoot together.

It sounds like your OTG cable is bad or broken. Try a USB Mouse to see if that works. If not, get a new OTG. In rare occasions, the actual microUSB port can go bad as well.

I don't own a Note 2, so The OTG Troubleshooter cable detection probably won't work properly. If someone was but if someone is good with the command line, we maybe be able to get it working.

FYI: Version 7.x of NMI has a Preference to "Launch Automatically". You should probably disable this for Samsung devices so NMI and the kernel don't fight for control of the USB device on detection. You will have to open NMI manually after that.

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
I have both a Nexus 5 and 7 that exhibit a different problem. There is stuttering when watching videos via the USB port. Strangely, when I first purchased NMI I had no issues with the same videos. But now that there have been updates to both the OS and apps, I no longer have flawless playback. Here are the specs:

Nexus 7 (2013, WIFI), 4.4, KRT16S
Nexus 5, 4.4, KRT16M

NMI v 7.1.2

OTG cable from Amazon per the recommended link
Meenova MicroSD reader
Various USB flash drives and SD card readers

Dice Player v 2.0.49 (latest)
BS Player (latest)

If I copy the file over to the Nexus device and play locally, everything works perfectly. If I stream via SMB the same files from a Seagate Wireless Plus hard drive, everything is smooth. I thought it was my Nexus 7 so I purchased a Nexus 5 phone and have the same problems. It does not matter what combination of hardware and software I use, I get the same results.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

I have not received 4.4.1 yet, so I can't test with the latest and greatest. Do you know the format of the video file (MKV, H264, AC3)? If you get back to me with that, I can probably dig up a test file and maybe even force 4.4.1.

Freezy94027

Dec 8, 2013
I have not received 4.4.1 yet, so I can't test with the latest and greatest. Do you know the format of the video file (MKV, H264, AC3)? If you get back to me with that, I can probably dig up a test file and maybe even force 4.4.1.

This is from a Blu-ray rip I made with DVDFab with the iPad Retina settings:

General
Complete name : /Volumes/NO NAME/BRTest.m4v
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 1.11 GiB
Duration : 21mn 17s
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 7 484 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2013-07-12 02:31:00
Tagged date : UTC 2013-07-12 02:36:29

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=24
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 21mn 16s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 7 327 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 11.2 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Minimum frame rate : 23.974 fps
Maximum frame rate : 90.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.147
Stream size : 1.09 GiB (98%)
Tagged date : UTC 2013-07-12 02:36:23
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate : 160 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 237 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 24.3 MiB (2%)
Tagged date : UTC 2013-07-12 02:35:33

As mentioned, this file plays flawlessly when first copied locally or wirelessly streamed from a Seagate Wireless Plus. But there seems to be some issue with NMI or USB in general. I have tried this same file on 4.4, 4.4.1 and now 4.4.2.

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
This is from a Blu-ray rip I made with DVDFab with the iPad Retina settings:

General
Complete name : /Volumes/NO NAME/BRTest.m4v
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 1.11 GiB
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 7 484 Kbps
Tagged date : UTC 2013-07-12 02:36:29

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Format settings, GOP : M=1, N=24
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 21mn 16s
Bit rate : 7 327 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 11.2 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Minimum frame rate : 23.974 fps
Maximum frame rate : 90.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.147
Stream size : 1.09 GiB (98%)
Tagged date : UTC 2013-07-12 02:36:23
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate : 160 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 237 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 24.3 MiB (2%)
Tagged date : UTC 2013-07-12 02:35:33

As mentioned, this file plays flawlessly when first copied locally or wirelessly streamed from a Seagate Wireless Plus. But there seems to be some issue with NMI or USB in general. I have tried this same file on 4.4, 4.4.1 and now 4.4.2.

Just got 4.4.2 and tried a full blu-ray rip (not transcoded). It didn't miss a beat.

This will test your throughput. I'm getting about 8400 K/s with my Meenova. That 1GB file should be a good test.

Attachments

• StreamTester_102.apk
    83.6 KB · Views: 16

Freezy94027

Dec 8, 2013
Just got 4.4.2 and tried a full blu-ray rip (not transcoded). It didn't miss a beat.

This will test your throughput. I'm getting about 8400 K/s with my Meenova. That 1GB file should be a good test.

I am getting about 7115 K/s with my file on the Nexus 5 and 12283 K/s on the Nexus 7. I will try reprocessing the file without transcoding to see if the method is causing the problems.

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
I am getting about 7115 K/s with my file on the Nexus 5 and 12283 K/s on the Nexus 7. I will try reprocessing the file without transcoding to see if the method is causing the problems.

I also tried a Handbrake (4Kbps H264) rip and it worked as well. According to this, DVDFab does not support Fast Start (streaming optimization), which could be causing the problems...

http://forum.dvdfab.com/showthread.php?p=146773

Update:

It looks like DVDFab produces unstreamable video. I posted a little Util Script that will fix this in a post below.

Last edited:

Freezy94027

Dec 8, 2013
Amusingly enough, the original full bitrate file plays without issue so it is not an interface speed issue. There is something different in how the various players handle the file buffering when it is local, though usb and streaming via SMB. Does NMI do any local file buffering or does it just pass through the requests of the software players letting them handle the buffering themselves?

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
Amusingly enough, the original full bitrate file plays without issue so it is not an interface speed issue. There is something different in how the various players handle the file buffering when it is local, though usb and streaming via SMB. Does NMI do any local file buffering or does it just pass through the requests of the software players letting them handle the buffering themselves?

NMI has a fairly small read-ahead buffer, 128K. It assumes the most of the buffering will be handled by the players. I assume that the problem is that streams are generally not random access where the other playback methods are.

FYI: It stutters being streamed from my Seagate Satellite Mobile Wireless too, just not as bad. It must really buffer because if I disable the internal player, and use Dice it stutters terribly.

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
Fixing Stuttering MP4/M4V Videos

If a video is not muxed for streaming it may stutter when streamed from NMI.

This little util based on MP4Box should fix it. It's designed for m4v/mp4, but may work with other formats.
To use it:
  1. Unzip
  2. Drag the stuttering file on top of MakeFastStart (Not into the the folder)
  3. If all goes well the cmd window will close when the process is done.
Notes:
  1. You only need libeay32.dll if you get an error that it's missing (Vista or earlier?). Drop it folder that has MP4Box.exe
  2. Linux/MAC Users, you can acquire MP4Box and just run "MP4Box -inter 500 <fileName>"

Attachments

• FastStart2.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • libeay32.zip
    495.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Freezy94027

Dec 8, 2013
NMI has a fairly small read-ahead buffer, 128K. It assumes the most of the buffering will be handled by the players. I assume that the problem is that streams are generally not random access where the other playback methods are.

FYI: It stutters being streamed from my Seagate Satellite Mobile Wireless too, just not as bad. It must really buffer because if I disable the internal player, and use Dice it stutters terribly.

I wonder if a buffer setting in NMI might be useful? Something to play with anyway.

I modded my Seagate Wireless Plus and disabled the stock software and interface so that I may use any player (nPlayer in my case for Apple devices). I stream purely via SMB.

I will try the reprocessing with the tools mentioned.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Several people have asked about this, so here is something that will allow you to view photos on a Nexus 7 without rooting your device. You will need:
    1. An OTG USB Cable. Any should do.
    2. A USB Flash Drive or Flash Reader/Card
    3. Some pictures
    4. Nexus Photo Viewer (link below)
    http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.viewer

How is this possible without root? I coded a USB Mass Storage Driver and FAT16/32 file system reader in Android (Java).

This is all just a teaser to get you to buy the Nexus Media Importer that is coming soon. The importer will support Photos, Videos and Music when it's complete. All of you feeling the space crunch on those 8GB models will soon have some options. Eventually, I should have something that will allow you to stream from Flash without importing the media, but this is a start.

Update: The Media Importer and Streamer (V2.0.2) has been voluntarily temporarily taken off the market for the moment.
    Teaser

This might be of interest to some folks.

What a P.I.T.A., but it seems stable. Needs testing. Coming soon.
    I hate to say it, but the latest update is crashing as soon as I put in the thumbdrive. It doesn't seem to have time to read the contents. Just get a notice that the app has stopped.

You are breaking some new ground here, and that means trying new things. They may not all work and that's okay! The important thing is to keep working at it!

THANKS, again,
    -Jim

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, 2.0.4 is garbage. 2.0.4.1 has been uploaded, but seems to be taking it's sweet time to activate.

2.0.4.1 just went live on the web. My device is still reporting 2.0.4 as the latest. Hopefully, they'll push the new version down before too many people try to open it.
    Still not appearing for me.

Just out of interest, what does the lack of Exfat mean? Will this still be able to play videos direct from usb OTG and also allow the files to be imported onto the Nexus 7?

Thanks

exFAT is a proprietary file system used on large (>32 GB) drives. It gets around two limitations of the more common FAT32 implementation. It supports file sizes > 4GB and a Windows artificial limit of formatting FAT32 drives to a max of 32GB. I'm sure Linux does not do this and I would assume mac does not do this. It's also the default format for SDXC cards (>32GB).

Here's a third party app that gets around the Windows limitation. FYI: I've never tried it.

http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/
    Some Icons (nothing wrong with the current ones though)

Just thought I'd supply some icons I made, up to you if you want to use them.

If so just let me know I've got high res versions I can send you that are twice the resolution of the MacBooks retina display :D

BasicLogo.jpg

PictureLogo.jpg

StreamLogo.jpg

Thanks

Dan

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Also still working on them to make them just a little bit smoother :)