[app]Nexus 7 External Flash Picture Viewer & Media Streamer

Search This thread

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
I have a nexus 10 that just updated to 4.3,NMI was working fine yesterday,as always, but after the update the cards I was importing yesterday are now not working and coming up as protected.

My wife has just checked on her Nexus 7 and it still works on that so I'm assuming 4.3 has broken it.

I had that happen on my N7G2. To fix it, I opened NMI manually, then I Powered Off the tablet. (Press and Hold Power until you see "Power Off"...) Basically, I followed my own troubleshooting guide. :)

http://nexususb.blogspot.com/2012/08/trouble-shooting.html

jimflp

Nov 14, 2007
Aberdeen
I tried that a few times yesterday but with no luck, tried it again today, no luck the first time but the second time everything now seems OK.

Thanks for the reply

giolc90

Dec 14, 2012
Not working at Lg optimus G E975 E977

The Lg Optimus G device is very protected. Anyone know how to use the usb otg? Either media importer or OTG Troubleshoting not working.:crying:

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
Yes... there was a hope... All sites say that it has "usb host" but it hasn't.

The app shows all marked red. On the "OTG detected" it shows a "?".
Sometimes it depends on the carrier. Some will disable it.

FYI: The "?" just means cable detection may not work. It appears on everything but a Nexus 7, Nexus 10 or Xoom. If USB Host is not detected, it will not work, so I should just change it to an "X".

Reactions: giolc90

giolc90

Dec 14, 2012
Sometimes it depends on the carrier. Some will disable it.

FYI: The "?" just means cable detection may not work. It appears on everything but a Nexus 7, Nexus 10 or Xoom. If USB Host is not detected, it will not work, so I should just change it to an "X".

Hummm... I see! I'll make a try after rooting. Need to wait some months because of the warranty. Thanks;

xamastrok

May 4, 2009
App does not offer to play with MX Player

Hello,

I have purchased Nexus 7 Media Importer, which is great, especially for viewing photos off the sd card. However,here's the situation with videos:

I have installed MX Player on my Nexus 7. When I click on a video file from a file Explorer (I am using Anttek) it prompts me to open the file with the relevant apps, MX Player included. When I click on a video file from Nexus 7 Media Importer it does the same, but MX Player is not among the "relevant" apps. VLC Player is, for some reason Opera browser is also (!) (Opera browser does not appear as option when opening video file with Anttek), but MX Player is not.

Since MX Player is one of the best apps for video viewing and working well with Nexus 7 I find that disappointing. For example, VLC Player is lagging.

Can you help?

Best Regards,
Ari.

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
Hello,

I have purchased Nexus 7 Media Importer, which is great, especially for viewing photos off the sd card. However,here's the situation with videos:

I have installed MX Player on my Nexus 7. When I click on a video file from a file Explorer (I am using Anttek) it prompts me to open the file with the relevant apps, MX Player included. When I click on a video file from Nexus 7 Media Importer it does the same, but MX Player is not among the "relevant" apps. VLC Player is, for some reason Opera browser is also (!) (Opera browser does not appear as option when opening video file with Anttek), but MX Player is not.

Since MX Player is one of the best apps for video viewing and working well with Nexus 7 I find that disappointing. For example, VLC Player is lagging.

Can you help?

Best Regards,
Ari.

The players register the streams they support via Android. I use the default mime type, but I can force one if it makes sense.

What's the video file extension? e.g. XXXX.mp4.

xamastrok

May 4, 2009
The players register the streams they support via Android. I use the default mime type, but I can force one if it makes sense.

What's the video file extension? e.g. XXXX.mp4.

For this particular file type it is .mov (camera produced videos). But I think it was not working with .mp4 either, meaning not showing MX Player.

Is there anything that can be done on my side?

Thanks for the reply.

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
For this particular file type it is .mov (camera produced videos). But I think it was not working with .mp4 either, meaning not showing MX Player.

Is there anything that can be done on my side?

Thanks for the reply.

Somethings not right. I primary test with mp4 and mov files and I just verified both work with MX Player. Try to reset your defaults.

Android Settings -> Apps -> Menu -> Reset app preferences

xamastrok

May 4, 2009
Somethings not right. I primary test with mp4 and mov files and I just verified both work with MX Player. Try to reset your defaults.

Android Settings -> Apps -> Menu -> Reset app preferences

Thanks for your interest.

No, this didn't solve the problem. I am using the free version of MX Player by the way.

So, again Nexus Media Importer proposes to open a .mov or mp4 file with either Neutron Music Player or Opera browser. After I uninstalled both it said that "It couldn't find any app that could stream the file", and it proposed to create a temporary copy. After the copy was completed it automatically launched MX Player alright, so maybe you are referring to this when saying that your tests worked with MX?

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks for your interest.

No, this didn't solve the problem. I am using the free version of MX Player by the way.

So, again Nexus Media Importer proposes to open a .mov or mp4 file with either Neutron Music Player or Opera browser. After I uninstalled both it said that "It couldn't find any app that could stream the file", and it proposed to create a temporary copy. After the copy was completed it automatically launched MX Player alright, so maybe you are referring to this when saying that your tests worked with MX?

That is puzzling. I'm using free MX Player as well. Make sure you are updated to 6.2.

I've PMed you a sample clip that I know works. Give it a try.

xamastrok

May 4, 2009
That is puzzling. I'm using free MX Player as well. Make sure you are updated to 6.2.

I've PMed you a sample clip that I know works. Give it a try.

I finally solved the problem. I had to uninstall MX Player and install it again. Then it worked in streaming mode! So, it seems that the video apps need to be installed after Nexus Media Importer. This is perhaps something to consider for future releases.

As a side note, MX Player was not great at streaming my Nikon D5100 .mov files (although it played them alright when copied to the tablet). I discovered that only BSB Player worked flawlessly in streaming them.

Thank you.

Reactions: kekinash

bands

Jan 21, 2013
Hello, a few months back I had a query re. when selecting songs to play that when I went back to the list, be it artists, albums or whichever, it always started at the top rather than where it had been.

You indicated that this was because you rebuild the list on the fly at each level and previous position is lost but that you should be able to add a prior position to the back function.

I was wondering if you had looked at this and determined that it wasn't possible or was too difficult.

Thanks ...

dburckh

Jan 26, 2011
Hello, a few months back I had a query re. when selecting songs to play that when I went back to the list, be it artists, albums or whichever, it always started at the top rather than where it had been.

You indicated that this was because you rebuild the list on the fly at each level and previous position is lost but that you should be able to add a prior position to the back function.

I was wondering if you had looked at this and determined that it wasn't possible or was too difficult.

Thanks ...

Funny you should mention that. I was looking at that for the next release. The challenges are:
  1. I have to track the prior item
  2. The list is generated in chunks and I need to reposition after each chunk is added.
  3. If the list is touched, I need to abort the reposition
It should be doable. I'll see if I can work it in.

bands

Jan 21, 2013
Funny you should mention that. I was looking at that for the next release. The challenges are:
  1. I have to track the prior item
  2. The list is generated in chunks and I need to reposition after each chunk is added.
  3. If the list is touched, I need to abort the reposition
It should be doable. I'll see if I can work it in.

Nice one, thanks mate.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Several people have asked about this, so here is something that will allow you to view photos on a Nexus 7 without rooting your device. You will need:
    1. An OTG USB Cable. Any should do.
    2. A USB Flash Drive or Flash Reader/Card
    3. Some pictures
    4. Nexus Photo Viewer (link below)
    http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.viewer

How is this possible without root? I coded a USB Mass Storage Driver and FAT16/32 file system reader in Android (Java).

This is all just a teaser to get you to buy the Nexus Media Importer that is coming soon. The importer will support Photos, Videos and Music when it's complete. All of you feeling the space crunch on those 8GB models will soon have some options. Eventually, I should have something that will allow you to stream from Flash without importing the media, but this is a start.

Update: The Media Importer and Streamer (V2.0.2) has been voluntarily temporarily taken off the market for the moment.
    Teaser

This might be of interest to some folks.

What a P.I.T.A., but it seems stable. Needs testing. Coming soon.
    I hate to say it, but the latest update is crashing as soon as I put in the thumbdrive. It doesn't seem to have time to read the contents. Just get a notice that the app has stopped.

You are breaking some new ground here, and that means trying new things. They may not all work and that's okay! The important thing is to keep working at it!

THANKS, again,
    -Jim

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, 2.0.4 is garbage. 2.0.4.1 has been uploaded, but seems to be taking it's sweet time to activate.

2.0.4.1 just went live on the web. My device is still reporting 2.0.4 as the latest. Hopefully, they'll push the new version down before too many people try to open it.
    Still not appearing for me.

Just out of interest, what does the lack of Exfat mean? Will this still be able to play videos direct from usb OTG and also allow the files to be imported onto the Nexus 7?

Thanks

exFAT is a proprietary file system used on large (>32 GB) drives. It gets around two limitations of the more common FAT32 implementation. It supports file sizes > 4GB and a Windows artificial limit of formatting FAT32 drives to a max of 32GB. I'm sure Linux does not do this and I would assume mac does not do this. It's also the default format for SDXC cards (>32GB).

Here's a third party app that gets around the Windows limitation. FYI: I've never tried it.

http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/
    Some Icons (nothing wrong with the current ones though)

Just thought I'd supply some icons I made, up to you if you want to use them.

If so just let me know I've got high res versions I can send you that are twice the resolution of the MacBooks retina display :D

BasicLogo.jpg

PictureLogo.jpg

StreamLogo.jpg

Thanks

Dan

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Also still working on them to make them just a little bit smoother :)