[APP][NO ROOT] Access Fire TV Settings without Amazon Launcher

Search This thread
Mar 8, 2019
I have a question unrelated to the current subject matter, so I've gotten into games on my fire stick and found a place to download what I want. Far cry 5 I downloaded it but there was ads that stopped it in it's tracks. How do I install it to where it works. I have done nothing to my fire stick but watch it. Any tip would be much appreciated barely a novice.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If anyone wants to develop the program further, I have made it publicly available here.
    https://github.com/rainman74/FireTV-Settings/releases

I hereby discontinue support for my Fire TV Guides and Apps. I've been a big fan of Fire TV devices for the last 2-3 years, but Amazon has now with each firmware further limited the possibilities of a configurable Android environment and even destroyed standard Android commands. This goes too far for me now.

I can recommend the following devices to anyone who wants to have a reasonable and much better Android TV experience, which I now use myself and am enthusiastic about:
    • Mi Box
    • Mi Box S
    • Sony Android TV (ATV3 platform, eg. XF7, XF8, XF9 or higher)
    Updated app in first post with two versions: 1) possible settings without root and 2) really all settings with root & Xinstaller :)
    @rainman74

can you add this function:
    -Restart Device
    -ADB Debugging
    -USB Debugging
    -Apps from Unknown Sources
    -Network Info (to look ip address from device)
    -System Info (to look Software version from device)

Thanks for the ideas. But this is not only possible with activities, you need a modified settings app for these commands (except for restarting, you need root privileges for this, or a corresponding authorized app).

Okay, let's see:
    • Restart Device -> Simple Reboot
    • turn on ADB/USB -> you have to install modified settings app from PlayFire as system app
    • Network Info (to look ip address from device) -> you have to install modified settings app from PlayFire as system app
    • System Info (to look Software version from device) -> you have to install modified settings app from PlayFire as system app
    • turn on unknown sources -> you have to install modified settings app from PlayFire as system app
    Is there a tutorial on how to install an app as a system app? Or can you point me in the right direction.

For this you need root rights!

First you have to download the modified Android TV Settings app from PlayFire:
    View attachment TvSettings.apk

Then copy the app into the system app folder and MUST restart your Fire TV to install it automatically.

Code:
    adb push C:\TvSettings.apk /sdcard/
    adb shell su -c mount -o remount,rw /system
    adb shell su -c mkdir /system/priv-app/TvSettings
    adb shell su -c chmod 755 /system/priv-app/TvSettings
    adb shell su -c cp /sdcard/TvSettings.apk /system/priv-app/TvSettings/TvSettings.apk
    adb shell su -c chmod 644 /system/priv-app/TvSettings/TvSettings.apk
    adb shell su -c chown root:root /system/priv-app/TvSettings/TvSettings.apk
    adb shell su -c mount -o remount,ro /system
    adb shell su -c rm /sdcard/TvSettings.apk
    New version added which removed access to notifications, because they no longer work with the Leanback Launcher.
    If you still need it, please continue to use version 2.1.