[APP] Nook Touch Mod Manager

Search This thread

kirokko

Jun 3, 2011
Hi, thanks for the app.

Is it possible to replace one of the buttons with NTMM (doesn't matter which button, but I prefer the long press on N) to switch orientation? Nook Touch Tools has this option and this is very useful, but as we all know it's only for old firmware (1.1.2, I use 1.2.1 now). I tried Orientation Control app and it add two icons to the launcher - one named Orientation Control is for edit settings and second - Orientation Switch is for switching orientation directly without any additional taps. When I use NTMM to remap Nook buttons (for example, the long press of N or few buttons of quick nav) to switch orientation using this app (Orientation Control), it doesn't work. Actually, I can't choose Orientation Switch, there is only two items and both of them is Orientation Controls and they don't work. Any ideas how to solve this?

persichini

Dec 2, 2010
DFW
Is anyone else having the issue of when you map a quicknav button to a application the icon is 3x as big as the stock buttons? any idea how to fix this.
Nook NST 1.2.1
(non glowlight)
server.jar = mod-0.4.0
android.policy.jar = mod-0.2.0

See pic attached

IMG_20130319_102409.jpg

Last edited:

ladykayaker

Feb 2, 2011
Annapolis
DIY quicknav buttons

Is anyone else having the issue of when you map a quicknav button to a application the icon is 3x as big as the stock buttons? any idea how to fix this.

Yes - this can be fixed, but takes some work. Here's how :
The quicknav icons and labels are found in /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db
adb pull this file, open with SQLiteDatabaseBrowswer for windows
Browse Data > table system > double click on mod.quicknav.1.icon > clear > apply changes
do this for mod.quicknav.1.cmd and all those up to mod.quicknav.6.icon
Save and push back to your nook.

If you reboot, the stock icons will now be back in your quicknav menu.

If you wish to change the stock icons to your own custom buttons then
adb pull /system/framework/framework-res.apk
extract the files using winrar > you can now edit files such as .png files
look in framwork-res/res/drawable_en_mdpi/
the quicknav buttons are c_quicknav_settings_normal_sm.png etc
the buttons with the _sm are for nook with glowlight
the buttons without the _sm are the nook non glow

when you have finished your mods to these files
open framework-res.apk in winrar
go to the /res/ directory and then copy the changed files into this dir
You now have the modified framework-res.apk
DO NOT ADB PUSH framework-res.apk back to your NOOK - it will hang at the boot screen.

You will need to create an update.zip file to update framework-res.apk on your nook.
Create a clockworkmod sdcard (as you would have done when rooting your nook)
download the attached update.zip file - open this with winrar, navigate to /system/framework/ and copy your framework-res.apk into this dir.
There are three files in update.zip / META-INF. These need to overwritten with the same three files that you will find in YOUR framework-res.apk.
Save changes and Close winrar. Copy this update.zip onto your clockworkmod sdcard
power off your nook, insert CWM sdcard, power on, select update from update.zip file.
when completed, remove sdcard, reboot and voila! your changes should be there.

Attachments

• update.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
Reactions: nmyshkin and hshsh

straygecko

Feb 20, 2009
Yes - this can be fixed, but takes some work. Here's how :

... snip ...
That method will not work with NTMM. NTMM / NookTouchPatches replaces bitmaps on the fly for remapped buttons using the icon from the application the button is remapped to. To fix this someone would need to develop a fix to NookTouchPatches to scale large application bitmaps down to a reasonable size.

straygecko

Feb 20, 2009
Sorry, what I meant to say was that this is only a temporary fix. After any remapping of buttons you will have to go through this process again. Otherwise, any buttons remapped after this fix will not be resized even if you change your mind and remap back to the same app. Remaps back to stock BN functions (Shop, Library, etc.) will show the wrong icons. So be sure to save your original framework-res in case you change your mind. Personally, this isn't an issue for me as the one app (Aldiko) I map to the quicknav has a decently sized icon. If this was an issue for me I'd put my effort into the one or two line change to NookTouchPatches or use apktool to hack the icons in the problem apps I care about before I would hack framework-res.

Reactions: aiamuzz

ladykayaker

Feb 2, 2011
Annapolis
Sorry, what I meant to say was that this is only a temporary fix. After any remapping of buttons you will have to go through this process again. Otherwise, any buttons remapped after this fix will not be resized even if you change your mind and remap back to the same app. Remaps back to stock BN functions (Shop, Library, etc.) will show the wrong icons. So be sure to save your original framework-res in case you change your mind. Personally, this isn't an issue for me as the one app (Aldiko) I map to the quicknav has a decently sized icon. If this was an issue for me I'd put my effort into the one or two line change to NookTouchPatches or use apktool to hack the icons in the problem apps I care about before I would hack framework-res.

It is a lot of work, but it does work. If you clear the settings in settings.db then the icons in framework-res.apk are used, instead of the apps icon. I edit the icons in the framework-res.apk to match the app icon and it works great.

On another note, there is a bug with the glowlight function. If you remap one of the buttons to use glowlight toggle on/off, then it does toggle the glowlight on. But it seems where the on/off state of the glowlight is stored is storing the state as 'off' - regardless of whether the glowlight is on or not. So if you then try to toggle the light off, it looks at the stored info, reads the state as 'off' and hence toggles the light on. Hence toggling only turns the light on, but never off.

hobbypunk90

Jul 28, 2012
Hello,

i have a little problem with my Nook :( the "Restore Glowlight after screensaver" function didn't work and when i'm switching the glowlight manual, i have to tap to the brightness bar, befor it lights up :-/ do anone know this problem, or better can help? :)

dr_diem

May 29, 2012
Montreal
Hello,

i have a little problem with my Nook :( the "Restore Glowlight after screensaver" function didn't work and when i'm switching the glowlight manual, i have to tap to the brightness bar, befor it lights up :-/ do anone know this problem, or better can help? :)

I've just tested the feature and it's working for me. I have Nook software version 1.1.5 - you?

Ian

remlap

Oct 23, 2003
Wales
I've just tested the feature and it's working for me. I have Nook software version 1.1.5 - you?

Ian

1.2.0 here and it doesn't recover the light, when unlocking the light flashes on and then off again. The problem seems to lay in when it flashes up the drag to unlock screensaver. If I had that switched off it does recover and stay on.

I don't need the slide to unlock since I have a case so no chance of hitting the N button but its still worth noting.

Last edited:

dr_diem

May 29, 2012
Montreal
1.2.0 here and it doesn't recover the light, when unlocking the light flashes on and then off again. The problem seems to lay in when it flashes up the drag to unlock screensaver. If I had that switched off it does recover and stay on.

I don't need the slide to unlock since I have a case so no chance of hitting the N button but its still worth noting.

Glad you did! I have the slide to unlock screensaver disabled myself - so it's either that or the difference in software version, but my money's on the former ;)

hobbypunk90

Jul 28, 2012
Mine nook run on 1.2.1 :-\ glowlight didn't work on normal was anymore :D restore didn't work, long Press on n didn't work, i have to manual switch it on AND have to click on the brightness slider, then it's on :-\

Gesendet von meinem C1905 mit Tapatalk 4

dr_diem

May 29, 2012
Montreal
Mine nook run on 1.2.1 :-\ glowlight didn't work on normal was anymore :D restore didn't work, long Press on n didn't work, i have to manual switch it on AND have to click on the BRIGHTNESS NUMB der, then it's on :-\

Gesendet von meinem C1905 mit Tapatalk 4

Humm so perhaps you should try the tweak that disables the 'slide to unlock' when dismissing the screensaver? If long press on n doesn't even work though it might be that a compatibility problem between 1.2.1 and NTMM:(

hobbypunk90

Jul 28, 2012
hello,

i tested it with the tweak that disables slide to unlock, but it didn't help :(
any other idea? :-/ or anything which can help to find a solution?

Greets,
Marcel

dr_diem

May 29, 2012
Montreal
hello,

i tested it with the tweak that disables slide to unlock, but it didn't help :(
any other idea? :-/ or anything which can help to find a solution?

Greets,
Marcel

Sorry I'm out of ideas. Perhaps it's an incompatibility issue with 1.2.1? Hopefully someone else who has that release and NTMM installed will comment?

Ian

ladykayaker

Feb 2, 2011
Annapolis
I wonder if I am doing something wrong?

NSTG firmware v 1.2.0
I have downloaded NTMM v 040 and the latest patches from here https://github.com/doozan/NookTouchPatches
When I try to patch the android.policy.jar I get the following output :

C:\nookmods>java -jar baksmali-1.4.0.jar -o android.policy android.policy.orig.jar

C:\nookmods>patch -p1 < android.policy.patch
patching file android.policy/.gitignore
patching file android.policy/com/android/internal/policy/impl/LockScreen.smali
The next patch would create the file android.policy/com/android/internal/policy/
impl/ModUtils$Keyinfo.smali,
which already exists! Assume -R? [n]

Is there something I am doing wrong?

KEYofR

Jun 14, 2010
I recently rstord to factory stock and then updated to 1.2.1 using the normal official download, then used the nook rooter image that goes on an sd card (I'll go look up it's name and come back and edit this post) which includes modmanager and everything just works. I'd say just do that. It was completely easy. Back in a sec with a link or an exact name.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

NookManager
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2040351

Sent from my SPH-L900 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

straygecko

Feb 20, 2009
I wonder if I am doing something wrong?

NSTG firmware v 1.2.0
I have downloaded NTMM v 040 and the latest patches from here https://github.com/doozan/NookTouchPatches
When I try to patch the android.policy.jar I get the following output :

Is there something I am doing wrong?
ModUtils is a brand new module added by this patch. If your baksmali created a ModUtils$Keyinfo.smali and ModUtils.smali then you most likely already have this patch applied to the android.policy.jar you are using. Are your rooted with NookManager? If so you already have this patch installed and it won't work. You must start with a stock 1.2.0 android.policy.jar. A way outside possibility is that you have another patch applied that created a ModUtils module but I doubt it.

If you have tried this once and had a problem and are trying again be sure you completely wipe out the android.policy folder before rerunning baksmali to get rid of any leftover additions added by the patch.

Reactions: ladykayaker

ladykayaker

Feb 2, 2011
Annapolis
Thanks for your reply. This is very helpful.

Are your rooted with NookManager? If so you already have this patch installed and it won't work .

Yes, I rooted with NookManager.

You must start with a stock 1.2.0 android.policy.jar.

I looked in the system/framework folder and found android.policy.jar.orig - so I tried using that - pulling it my pc and renaming it to android.policy.orig.jar.

If your baksmali created a ModUtils$Keyinfo.smali and ModUtils.smali then you most likely already have this patch applied to the android.policy.jar you are using.

and even with that version of the android.policy.jar it created the ModUtils$Keyinfo.smali and ModUtils.smali
so it seems that even the .jar.orig may not be the original stock jar.
when I tried to apply the patch, it produced pages of junk.

You must start with a stock 1.2.0 android.policy.jar.

I have looked around for the stock 1.2.0 update, but cannot find it. Any suggestions where I can go to get this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nook Touch Mod Manager

This app+patched jars allows you to customize the behavior of your Nook. All customizations are opt-in and can be enabled/disabled through the use of the NTMM app. If you install the patched jars and do not configure them with using the app, your Nook's behavior will not change in any way.

Features:

• Re-map the n button, quicknav buttons (including the glowlight button), and top statusbar buttons to run installed programs or trigger defined actions (toggle glowlight, home, back, etc)
    • Option to disable slide to unlock screensaver (avoid battery drain from constantly looping animation)
    • Option to always show the back and menu buttons on the statusbar.
    • Option to restore the Glowlight state after waking from screensaver.
    • Option to disable or customize the "press the n button to unlock" text on the screensaver (1.2+ only)
    • Option to remap side buttons (1.2+ only)
    • Completely open source, including both the application and the patches to the jars

Requires patched jars.

Patches are available for software revisions 1.1.5, 1.2.0, and 1.2.1 (1.2.0 and 1.2.1 use the same patches). You can upgrade to 1.2.1 using the directions on the B&N support page.

Instructions for building the patched jars are available here: https://github.com/doozan/NookTouchPatches

Download NTMM 0.4.0
    Many thanks to geckoday for adding some new features:

- Remap long and short press of the side buttons
    - New "Now Reading" action to trigger the built-in reading action
    - New "Left Tap" and "Right Tap" actions to simulate tapping the right/left side of the screen for readers that don't support the side buttons
    I think git is messing with the line-endings. Patch.exe expects them to be Windows \r\n and I think they're getting converted to Unix \n somewhere in the process. You can use a text editor like Notepad2 to open and re-save the patches with Windows line endings.
    Open the patch file using notepad2, go to File | Line Endings and choose "Windows (CR+LF)" and save.
    @jeff_kz, where are you storing the images for the quicknav buttons. Previously I had changed these in the
    framework-res.apk. with your nooktouchmod it is using other images, is it possible for me to put in my own images?

The action icons (back/home/glow) are loaded from system resources, by resource id. The application icons are read from the application's package. You can customize the icons by pulling settings.db and adjusting the mod.<button>.icon value. An integer value will load a system icon by id, a package name will load the package's icon. Currently, there's no way to read an icon from an external file.