• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[APP] NovaFreq v1.2.1 (For Novatek Panels Only) [ Updated 07/18/10 ]

Search This thread

AssassinsLament

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 8, 2007
Twin Cities
Evo Switch v1.1.1 NovaFreq v1.2.1
(APP NAME CHANGED TO SOMETHING MORE APPROPRIATE)

This is an Android application developed to change the panel frequency for Novatek Panels for the Sprint HTC EVO 4G, in conjunction with ffolkes' Novatek Kernel and netarchy's Kernel,
and any kernel that has maejrep's T2 Interface built in. Every device is different, and with that, those specified kernel's default settings may or may not be optimized with your device.
With this application, you can change those settings on the fly and find the best setting for your device.

[ Please use this application with extreme caution! I am not responsible for any damage this may cause to your device. ]

Requirements:
-HTC EVO 4G
-Android 2.1 +
-Any custom kernel that is built off of toastcfh's htc source
-Novatek Panel
-Root Access

Uses:
-Use as an fps frequency turbo switch for when you need extra fps.
-Use as a debugging tool to test frequencies.
-Use to keep frequency settings even beyond reboots. (new)

Settings:
-340 [Stock] is how HTC intended the EVO to be. This frequency works out to 61hz, but we are capped at 30hz.
-370 [Kernel Default] sets the panel frequency lower than stock, yet provides most around 55fps.
-250 [Stable High Freq] sets the panel frequency higher than stock, which usually gives around 40fps.
-400 [Stable Low Freq] - V2's setting.
-Favorite Setting - Find the most stable setting, and if it's not one of the listed, then "Set Favorite".
-Sticky Settings - Now you can reboot and not have to re-apply your settings!

Custom Setting:
You can put arbitrary settings here, but be warned this may mess up your screen, but usually you can reboot your phone
to change it back to default. Minimum Recommended: 250 Maximum Recommended: 999.
Please do not go lower then the minimum recommended of 250, nor higher than the maximum recommended 999.

To Do:
-Favorite Setting - So you can save the best setting for your device. 07/04/10 - Done!

Change Log:
-Changed app name from Evo Switch to NovaFreq (Novatek Frequency / Freek)
-Totally redid code, should be more optimized.
-Frequencies stick beyond a reboot
-Changed a few of the defaults
-Changed back sleep time to 500ms so the current displayed setting can update (v1.2.1)

Don't be alarmed if you see NovaFreq running in the background. To be able to sticky settings beyond a reboot, NovaFreq has to be run at boot up.
After that you can kill NovaFreq if you want, android will kill it when needed so don't worry.

Thanks To:
ffolkes, netarchy, maejrep, toastcfh, halfline, Cicitrize, geyes30, kpkimmel, joeykrim, and many others involved in trying to uncap the EVO.

Attachments

• NovaFreq_v1.2.1.apk
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,552
Last edited:

mdaddy

Aug 22, 2009
Awesome!! This is the first time I've been able to break 30 fps! (thanks to your app!)

I'm on Froyo and the v4 had never worked, but now v4 + high frequency with your app = 40 fps.

I love you.

madunix

Jan 16, 2009
New York
this may a silly question... but would this fix camera when i have it disabled as to if i switch it on the camera is now broke? or just the kernel itself breaks the camera??

Android 17

Jun 15, 2010
Great little app, I would recommend users experiment with the values just ever so slightly for optimum performance. Using the default value of 361 netted me about 50-51 fps, whereas using 365 nets me about 54-55. Not a huge bump, but even a little bit is nice

antiphon

Dec 8, 2007
San Francisco
Great application. May I suggest adding maybe a quick cycle to move between frequencies so users can go through a number of settings at once? Kinda like the Scan feature in most radios to pick the best frequencies.

AssassinsLament

Jun 8, 2007
Twin Cities
works great! Whats the number I set it at to equal the V2 setting of ffolkes kernel? I think its 400, is that correct?

Yes, I think V2 was 400.

this may a silly question... but would this fix camera when i have it disabled as to if i switch it on the camera is now broke? or just the kernel itself breaks the camera??

Every custom kernel does not have a working camera, because we do not have the source code for it. When HTC finally releases the source code, then we will be able to fix the camera.

AssassinsLament

Jun 8, 2007
Twin Cities
Great application. May I suggest adding maybe a quick cycle to move between frequencies so users can go through a number of settings at once? Kinda like the Scan feature in most radios to pick the best frequencies.

This sounds like something to think about. Only problem is, while scanning, no one will know what the fps is unless they have their favorite fps app running, but then we wouldn't know what the frequency setting is since the fps app is running in focus. Might be a bit difficult to pull off without building an fps test into the app.

antiphon

Dec 8, 2007
San Francisco
This sounds like something to think about. Only problem is, while scanning, no one will know what the fps is unless they have their favorite fps app running, but then we wouldn't know what the frequency setting is since the fps app is running in focus. Might be a bit difficult to pull off without building an fps test into the app.

Yeah I agree it would be difficult to implement without a built in fps counter. I was thinking more along the lines of something that would flag or eliminate the frequencies that are really bad (ie the ones which make your screen go haywire). So maybe the user could, for example, pick frequencies 300-310 and then the app would cycle through them 1 second at a time. From there the user would be able to run FPS2D or whatever to test out those frequencies that didn't make their screen all blotchy.

Anyways, just something to think about. Great work nonetheless!

maejrep

Jun 25, 2007
Yeah I agree it would be difficult to implement without a built in fps counter. I was thinking more along the lines of something that would flag or eliminate the frequencies that are really bad (ie the ones which make your screen go haywire). So maybe the user could, for example, pick frequencies 300-310 and then the app would cycle through them 1 second at a time. From there the user would be able to run FPS2D or whatever to test out those frequencies that didn't make their screen all blotchy.

Anyways, just something to think about. Great work nonetheless!

This won't work, because the interface that is used to write these settings to the panel cannot handle both full-speed graphics, and setting panel registers. I tried this when I first created the sysfs attr file, and if fps2d is running, it seems impossible to set or query the current T2 value. the display pretty much has to be idle for this to work.

Using a mutex lock might help, but I didn't look into it any further.

AssassinsLament

Jun 8, 2007
Twin Cities
This won't work, because the interface that is used to write these settings to the panel cannot handle both full-speed graphics, and setting panel registers. I tried this when I first created the sysfs attr file, and if fps2d is running, it seems impossible to set or query the current T2 value. the display pretty much has to be idle for this to work.

Using a mutex lock might help, but I didn't look into it any further.

Yep, that's why I had to put in a "sleep" command in my app so that the system could process the change and update the app on if the register changed or not. Thanks for the interface maejrep!

AssassinsLament

Jun 8, 2007
Twin Cities
Where is the link to the switch app?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Yeah? Where is version 1.1.1? 1.1.0 is the only available for download? Or am I a special needs kid?

Sorry, maybe I forgot to change the version in the app, 1.1.1 should be the only one linked in the original post.

Do you meet the minimal requirements on the original post? Because you have to be running a custom kernel with the T2 interface in it.