[APP][NST/G] Reading Now button menu

Search This thread

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
That's exactly what it does. From the Kindle reading screen also--or anywhere else.
are you by any chance planning a floating bubble implementation on top of every app ... except that this won't be floating but instead fixed to the top-left area(the Reading-Now) icon area ?

Huh ! ... nifty idea i must say ... and all this with the tasker app ... even more amazing !

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
But for some reason it does not like to comply from inside some other app (like the Kindle app, etc.). It gets confused with the page position, wants to start over or (worst case) just refuses to start the reader.

hmmm ... switching from KIndle app to Nook Reader open book isn't a problem in my current version ... when the kindle book is in full screen ... a simple tap brings the topbar and along with it exposes the controls on it ... Reading Now area, Back and Menu & Glowlight & Wifi touch areas !!!

I'd say don't bother trying to achieve the switch from a full screen kindle open book ... a simple tap on the book to bring up the topbar is good enough and does not bear heavy on the UX flow ... I'd say ... don't waste time on it

If only you can get the RN menu to show up from a Nook Reader open book, even here you don't have to attempt to get your idea to work on a full screen open book ... even here when we tap on the full screen book the top area shows up (where the Glowlight & wifi) area is exposed ... In this state if you can get the RN Menu to open up when the top-left corner is touch invoked that should be good enough ... all other use cases will have a visible topbar and no problem invoking your RN App ...

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
hmmm ... switching from KIndle app to Nook Reader open book isn't a problem in my current version ... when the kindle book is in full screen ... a simple tap brings the topbar and along with it exposes the controls on it ... Reading Now area, Back and Menu & Glowlight & Wifi touch areas !!!
Hmm....I'm not seeing that behavior from the Kindle app. I do get the right page if I go from the App drawer. OTOH, I'm seeing something I've never seen before (using my device with the UK ROM because the other two are busy with other projects and actual reading!). A notice about syncing to the last read page or staying where I am. Never have seen that on my US devices before under any circumstances. I guess I'll have to try this app on one of my other devices and see how it behaves. If that's OK then I'll transfer the Tasker routines over and see if that runs properly. If it does, I'll pretend none of this ever happened and have the app ready for you.

Attachments

• sync_dialog.png
    sync_dialog.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: aiamuzz

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
are you by any chance planning a floating bubble implementation on top of every app ... except that this won't be floating but instead fixed to the top-left area(the Reading-Now) icon area ?

Huh ! ... nifty idea i must say ... and all this with the tasker app ... even more amazing !
Erm.....something seems a bit hinky with this, but give it a shot and see how it works for you.

1. Uninstall the previous version.
2. Use NTMM to reassign the "reading now" button back to "Default".
3. Install the new app.
4. Tap on the app icon in the App drawer. You should get dumped back to the home screen and see a toast indicating that the app is activated.

Two things have now happened: 1) there is a transparent overlay which covers the "reading now" status bar button, and 2) an instruction has been added to the device boot sequence to place this overlay after boot. So unless the system kills the app for some reason, you never need to tap on the app icon again. This works very well for me with QuickTiles. It results in a much faster response because the main activity of the app is the placement of the "hot spot". So it's already running when you touch the area. And the "hot spot" is always there whether you can see the status bar or not.

Potential problem: some app which is running full-screen decides that the upper left corner of the screen is a great place to use for a button. Unlikely, but not impossible. Therefore a long-press on that corner will deactivate the "hot spot" for 1 minute (just hold a finger there until you see the screen notification). That would theoretically allow you to access a feature which would otherwise be blocked by the transparent overlay.

5. Now tap away and test it. I've seen some really squirrely behavior trying to go from reading in the Kindle app directly to reading in the stock reader. I seem to have better luck with with the status bar visible. But a couple of false tries really seems to make the device mad.

Something's just not right. It's like something wants to be reset or killed, or whatever. Not happy with it...

Attachments

• RN_Menu_1.1.apk
    683.2 KB · Views: 3

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
Something's just not right. It's like something wants to be reset or killed, or whatever. Not happy with it...

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT @nmyshkin !!! :eek:
ITS A DREAM COME TRUE !!!
ITS JUST AWESOME !!!

the first touch after configuring the NTMM key mapping ... gave the activated message after that its like magic !!!

Someone else should try and test this !!!

JUST WOW !!! THANKS WON'T CUT IT !!! WOW !!!

and yes i forgot in the magical madness of switching from ... kindle to nook to kindle to nook to kindle to noot to kindle to nook to kindle to nook to kindle to noot to kindle to nook to kindle to nook to kindle to noot to kindle to nook to kindle to nook to kindle to noot to kindle .... that this is really snappy its almost instant your earlier version was a cart and this seems like a jet !!!

Reactions: nmyshkin

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
I'll take your word for it that switching between Kindle and Nook reader is something useful.

On an unrelated note: I have a 16 key keypad on my truck's steering wheel that switches instantly between various apps using Bluetooth.
I have three different mapping apps and a bunch of status screens for various things.
Also, brightness, volume and sleep.

Attachments

• keypad1.jpg
    keypad1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Love

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
On an unrelated note: I have a 16 key keypad on my truck's steering wheel that switches instantly between various apps using Bluetooth.
I have three different mapping apps and a bunch of status screens for various things.
Also, brightness, volume and sleep.

@Renate ... wow are you using a NST/G with that kepad ?
bluetooth on OTG ?

almost all of us mere mortals ... you are in a league of your own !!!
we get excited at small and petty things like these ... :D ...

I'll take your word for it that switching between Kindle and Nook reader is something useful.

Well thanks to @nmyshkin and all his help and enthusiasm ...

Our Barnes and Noble NST/G's have been launched in direct competition to Amazon's Kindle device, both entities sell books and probably have brick and mortar book stores as well.

I know this whole modding/tinkering scene for our NST/G's is to achieve something no one had imagined ... of course that is very exciting and i was ll hooked into that scene until now ... but what i noticed is beyond achieving those modds and hacks, and speaking for myself, i seldom used those cool enhancements, nevertheless every bit was exciting and thrilling,

After @nmyshkin 's ... NookManager in Stealth mode gave me a simple and novel idea which i have been trying to test ...

I want to reposition our devices NST/G's as pure reading devices, having said that besides being able to access and transact at Barnes and Nobles book store one should be able to use Kindle book ecosystem and be able to effortlessly read from both providers ...

I would consider @nmyshkin 's achievement by way of his Readning Now(RN) what i consider as my that idea having materialized.

Now given our devices have a full android Layer unlocked beneath, I would want one to be able to access and experience those goodies as well. Given I am a small time UI/UX designer I want the whole process flow as simple and seamless as possible ... the simplicity part @nmyshkin has already been achieved with his NookManager Stealth version, I am just trying to further simplify the UI / UX of the device with minor adjustments with @nmyshkin 's assistance and your inputs (@Renate )

On the surface I want this device to be a primary reading device more of "A HYBRID OF NOOK&KINDLE" ... at first glance ... and ... with a fully functional android layer with apps underneath by way of the "App Drawer" and 'NTMM' implementation. With this setup this device feels so light it almost feels like B&N had designed it, as there are no distractions(which usually the Home Launcher would show) and no visual overheads of a home launcher and the process flow that it accompanies, which my previous setup had it all ... while 'ADW' had a good visual aesthetic but costly overheads compared to 'Relaunch' ... the "App Drawer" according to me got the job done the best and simplest !!!

I am getting late to work ... will be in touch privately with you @Renate and @nmyshkin over DM's to explore how else i can simplify and improve the UI and UX of our device.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Feb 3, 2012
Boston
www.temblast.com
Nexus 7 (2013)
Moto E5
Are you using a NST/G with that kepad? Bluetooth on OTG ?
Sorry, no. I'm using a $70 Walmart 8" LCD tablet. Until the 7.8" Glow B&N hasn't had Bluetooth.
You could use a custom USB HID device on OTG. A standard numeric keypad could give you control but it only goes to the foreground app.
You need something that a service can grab for its exclusive use, hence custom HID.

I appreciate the frugality of using a 10 year old device, but when my last gas fill-up was $160 I might as well own a current device.
(I mean my Onyx Poke3, not the Walmart tablet.)

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
User-customizable DIY RN Menu Kit!

The impetus for this new version of one of the first Tasker-made apps I put together comes from XDA member @aiamuzz. If you scroll back a few posts you'll see some of our conversation throughout which I was working on a custom version of the original app for him. I repeated then what I said in the first post, that I didn't see any way to give the user the ability to customize the menu.

Never say never. My experience with the Dictionary Management app and the update of QuickTiles expanded my bag of tricks a bit and I began to think about this old app in a different way.

The result is RN Menu 2.0, a "kit" for creating your own menu of from 2 to 6 items that takes the place of the "reading now" status bar button. To use this app you need to be able to manipulate bitmap and png images (setting the latter for a transparent background) and make your menu choices into adb shell commands. Before you roll your eyes at that last one, consider that most people will probably just want to start an app from the menu. This is a command that always takes the same form. Anyone can write it once they've seen one. More complicated things, like the broadcast intent that opens the current book, may not be so simple but that's what this forum is for. Someone will try to help if you get stuck.

Because this app executes shell commands, it requires root access

Note: this app has an odd effect on the notification drawer access. When the drawer is empty, the tap zone is actually not where the notification number would be, but rather between that spot and the "back" button. When a notification number is displayed, the tap zone is extended over it. This app somehow prevents an effective tap on the number itself, but the zone nearer the "back" button remains active. No fix yet. Maybe there is none.

What this app does

When installed and initialized the app places an invisible overlay on top of the status bar "reading now" button. A tap on this area destroys the overlay and opens the menu. An upswipe on the menu, closes it--this is difficult to do on a 2-item menu, admittedly-- and restores the overlay. Once the menu is open, you make your selection, the menu closes and your choice is executed. Meanwhile the overlay returns, ready for another go-round. This overlay is always "on" whether you can see the status bar or not (it is placed there automatically shortly after a reboot). This means you can access the menu even from full-screen applications like the stock Reader. If some full-screen app uses that spot for touch input, you can disable the overlay for 1 minute by long-pressing on it.

The menu itself is just a png image that you prepare yourself using the provided templates. You can look back at some of the previous posts to see the really nice job @aiamuzz did with his menu. To do this you will need a graphics program of some kind. More details below.

The menu actions are contained in a text file, menu.txt, which is in /sdcard/RNMenu. This file consists of the shell commands for the menu actions, separated by commas. When the app is first initialized it reads this file, determines how many commands there are and therefore what size of menu to display, and stores the commands. This ensures that the menu opens promptly. When the menu closes after executing the shell command selected, the app rescans the file menu.txt, just in case you have changed it. Again, the object is to have no delay in opening the menu. That means a change in the menu will not be reflected until it has gone through one cycle (an upswipe "close" is enough to trigger a rescan of menu.txt).

Preparing a menu

Although the app comes with a default blank 2-item menu "installed", it would be better to prepare your own menu before you even install the app. That way when the app initializes your menu will automatically display. Included in the zip below is a folder called "RNMenu". This is to be copied to the root of your sdcard. But before you do that, take a look at the contents. It has the menu.txt file as well as 10 images, 5 bitmaps and 5 transparent-background pngs. The bitmaps should be considered archive files. You can use these (or a copy of one of them) to create your menu, then save it as a png with the transparent background color matching the bluish green corner colors. This gives you round corners for the menu, conforming with other drop-downs like in the stock Library. If you have trouble with this step, just zip up your bitmap file and send it to me. I'll convert it for you.

Do not change the size of the menu images, the divisions or the file names.

Whether you choose to use icons or not is up to you. Again, see the excellent sample by @aiamuzz in the previous posts. As far as the text, I was once told that the device screen font was Gill Sans. You can extract this ttf from /system/fonts if you don't have it on your PC. I found that installing only the principal font (not all the variations) gave the best result. YMMV. Even so, the font does not seem to me to be an exact match. If you use it, 17pt regular seems to be about the right size, compared to the menus in the Library. Alternatively, you can just use something like Arial. The actual screen font (whatever it is) seems a bit more "squished" than either Gill Sans or Arial, with "o" and "e" noticeably ovoid. In any case, for Arial, 15pt regular seems about right. Again, results may vary for different software. The best way to judge is with a true-size screenshot of the Library with one of the menus open (screenshot attached below).

Writing the menu commands

Once you have your menu prepared (that means one of the png images is no longer just a blank rectangle), it's time to customize the menu.txt to reflect the choices on your menu. As provided, this file contains two options:

1. open the last read book in the stock Reader
2. open the stock Library app

The shell commands for these operations are:

1. am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch.LAST_BOOK
2. monkey -p com.bn.nook.library 1

The second command is an example of how you open an app, in this case, the stock Library. To change the app which opens, you need to replace "com.bn.nook.library" with the package name of the app you want to open. The easiest way to get the package name is to look for your app in /data/data. The folder names are the package names. So for the Kindle app, that would be "com.amazon.kindle", or for EbookDroid, "org.ebookdroid".

So, we separate these commands with a comma (no extra spaces before or after!) and get:
Code:
am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch.LAST_BOOK,monkey -p com.bn.nook.library 1
If you have additional items in your menu, just add another comma and another command. It's very important that this file not have a CR or LF at the end. I was editing mine on the NST with ES Note Editor (or whatever it's called) and found that the final menu options were not working. When I finally tracked down the issue I discovered that every time the file was opened a LF or CR was added to the final line! So check to be sure your cursor won't go beyond the last command before you save the file.

One more example. Let say you want a menu with these commands:

1. Open last-read book in stock Reader
2. Open Amazon Kindle app
3. Open EBookDroid app

The shell commands are:

1. am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch.LAST_BOOK
2. monkey -p com.amazon.kindle 1
3. monkey -p org.ebookdroid 1

Therefore the menu.txt file would look like:
Code:
am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch.LAST_BOOK,monkey -p com.amazon.kindle 1,monkey -p org.ebookdroid 1

Putting it all together

1. Copy the RNMenu folder (with your custom menu and commands) to the root of your sdcard.
2. This is a Tasker-generated app and requires two library files (in attached zip package) or it will not install. If you already have one of my other Tasker-generated apps you can discard these files. Otherwise, copy them as indicated below:

/system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
/system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar

Set permissions for both files to rw-r--r-- and reboot. Without these files resident, the app will not install.
3. Install the app with a file manager or via ADB.
4. Tap on the app icon and wait for the activation message.
5. Tap in the upper left of the screen to see your new custom menu!

Remember, if you make any changes, whether to the commands in menu.txt or just some tweaks to your menu image, they will not be reflected until after one menu cycle.

Bug reports are welcome.

Attachments

• Library.png
    Library.png
    76.7 KB · Views: 5
  • RN Menu.zip
    880.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
@nmyshkin Wow ... finally a customizable RN_Menu

Once you have your menu prepared (that means one of the png images is no longer just a blank rectangle), it's time to customize the menu.txt to reflect the choices on your menu. As provided, this file contains two options:

Lets say i want the following 6 apps in the Menu ... should my Menu txt file have the following ?

Apps - (JakedUp.AppDrawer)
Nook Now - (com.bn.nook.library)
Kindle Now - (com.amazon.kindle)
eBookDroid Now - (com.ebookdroid)
FastMode2 - (com.FastMode2)
Refresh - (com.lggfc.nookclearscreen)

am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch.LAST_BOOK,monkey -p JakedUp.AppDrawer 1.am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch.LAST_BOOK,monkey -p com.bn.nook.library 1,am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch.LAST_BOOK,monkey -p com.amazon.kindle 1,am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch.LAST_BOOK,monkey -p com.ebookdroid 1,am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch.LAST_BOOK,monkey -p com.FastMode2 1,am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch.LAST_BOOK,monkey -p com.lggfc.nookclearscreen 1

the 'LAST_BOOK' for the default nook reader is understandable but will that make sense to the other apps as well ? or should we drop the 'LAST_BOOK'

am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch,monkey -p JakedUp.AppDrawer 1.am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch.LAST_BOOK,monkey -p com.bn.nook.library 1,am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch,monkey -p com.amazon.kindle 1,am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch,monkey -p com.ebookdroid 1,am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch,monkey -p com.FastMode2 1,am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch,monkey -p com.lggfc.nookclearscreen 1

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
@nmyshkin in Wow ... finally a customizable RN_Menu

I have my menu prepared for 6 items ... same attached ...

1. Is the above Menu.txt contents in the last post accurate ?
2. Now how do i tell the app to pick the 6 menu item images ?

Attachments

• RNDropDown-6.png
    RNDropDown-6.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 10

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
@nmyshkin Wow ... finally a customizable RN_Menu

Lets say i want the following 6 apps in the Menu ... should my Menu txt file have the following ?

Apps - (JakedUp.AppDrawer)
Nook Now - (com.bn.nook.library)
Kindle Now - (com.amazon.kindle)
eBookDroid Now - (com.ebookdroid)
FastMode2 - (com.FastMode2)
Refresh - (com.lggfc.nookclearscreen)

the 'LAST_BOOK' for the default nook reader is understandable but will that make sense to the other apps as well ? or should we drop the 'LAST_BOOK'
No, you've got it jumbled. You only need the "am broadcast blah-blah" ONCE. That's for opening the last-read book in the stock Reader. The "monkey business" is for starting other apps. So you need five of those.

Edit: check back with post #50 where I have reworked the example for preparing menu.txt. The app can tell which menu size by counting the number of shell commands.

I've muffed the corner transparency a tad but won't be home most of the day to fix it. Should be a simple "install over".

Edit: your icons for FastMode and CleanScreen are pretty similar. Hard choice, I know. I'm attaching icons I used for these processes in QuickTiles. They are not in the same style as yours so not much good to you, but they might get you thinking along other lines to maybe come up with something different.

OK, gotta go. Will fix the app later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Attachments

• fastmode1.png
    fastmode1.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 2
  • clearscreen.png
    clearscreen.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
No, you've got it jumbled. You only need the "am broadcast blah-blah" ONCE. That's for opening the last-read book. The "monkey business" is for starting other apps. So you need five of those.

I've muffed the corner transparency a tad but won't be home most of the day to fix it. Should be a simple "install over".
Oh ok, I have made amends as below ... now my Menu.txt reads as follows ... and it works fantastic @nmyshkin !!!

monkey -p JakedUp.AppDrawer 1,am broadcast -a com.bn.nook.launch.LAST_BOOK,monkey -p com.amazon.kindle 1,monkey -p org.ebookdroid 1,monkey -p com.lggfc.nookclearscreen

1. I believe the hot area has extended and covers the 'notification' icon ... touching it does not bring up the notification drop down, however thanks to your design, long pressing the hot area provides access to the same ... I was wondering if thehot area could be limited to the area of the RN icon ... do we need it wide ? ... we are habituated to touching the small RN area, the hot area if limited to that icon area should not affect RNMenu in anyway ... does it ?

2. I tried some tweaks ... I tried to make the menu a little wider, i was hoping it would go closer to the 'back' button but instead, the menu got compressed horizontally and the text and icon got compressed too ... not that its a requirement, but i just tested if a wider or shorter menu dimensions would get accepted, but turns out there is some sort of constraint there, just saying ... :)

3. Long Press ...... TICK
4. Depending on the number of commands the respective menu gets used for the RNMenu ...... TICK
5. Flicking to exit RNMenu ...... TICK

I was wondering if there was a version of Clear Screen that does not run as a service and reside in the notification area ... the notification icon is a little distracting ... com.lggfc.nookclearscreen ... has a service that is active and the notification reads as 1 at all times ...

@nmyshkin ... your bag of tricks certainly made my life so much more easier, your contributions to NST/G in the form of NookManager Stealth Mode, RNMenu, Settings, Dictionary just changed the way i use my device currently ... can't thank you enough !!!

Look forward to your bag of tricks ...

Attachments

• RNDropDown-5.png
    RNDropDown-5.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 4

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
1. I believe the hot area has extended and covers the 'notification' icon ... touching it does not bring up the notification drop down, however thanks to your design, long pressing the hot area provides access to the same ... I was wondering if thehot area could be limited to the area of the RN icon ... do we need it wide ? ... we are habituated to touching the small RN area, the hot area if limited to that icon area should not affect RNMenu in anyway ... does it ?
Well, that got my attention! I checked the hot spot and it exactly covers the status bar "read now" button area, but you are correct, somehow the touch area for notifications is blocked. You can pull down the notification window with a swipe (or close it), but I need to try to figure out what is happening there or, failing that, do some kind of work-around. Darn, I wish I had known about that before I released this...
2. I tried some tweaks ... I tried to make the menu a little wider, i was hoping it would go closer to the 'back' button but instead, the menu got compressed horizontally and the text and icon got compressed too ... not that its a requirement, but i just tested if a wider or shorter menu dimensions would get accepted, but turns out there is some sort of constraint there, just saying ... :)
Now you see? I knew someone would ask about that so before I left this morning I edited the release post to say "no changing size". This one I am positive about. There can never be a way to do that. Users cannot customize the menu template size. Oh, I suppose I could write in a bunch of pre-made options, but I'm not going to.

I thought we thrashed out the size business already! What's up with you?!
I was wondering if there was a version of Clear Screen that does not run as a service and reside in the notification area ... the notification icon is a little distracting ... com.lggfc.nookclearscreen ... has a service that is active and the notification reads as 1 at all times ...
I'm really not that familiar with that app but aren't there two of them, one being settings? When I worked it into QuickTiles as an option it seems to me you could turn off the notification. I'll have to take a look at what I did there tomorrow as well as investigate the status bar notification thing. And fix the corner transparency....

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011

my bad, seems i missed out the finer points ...

Darn, I wish I had known about that before I released this...
don't go hard on yourself, its not that bad especially given you had already thought about the possible controls around that area and designed the long-press temporary suspend that resumes after one minute. so no love lost there ... If not for 'Clear Screen' notification i wouldn't have figured there was an overlap.

Edit: your icons for FastMode and CleanScreen are pretty similar.

yes you are right, that was a resuse of the refresh icon, I've added 'F2' to the icon which probably isn't legible given the overall icon size. On second thoughts i kind of chose to drop the Fast Refresh for now as i didn't see any use for it. As you must've have noticed by now I am repositioning my NST/G purely as a reading device, with Nook(defaulting) to EPUB, Kindle handling MOBI and eBookdroid managing PDF, my circle of life is complete, Fast2Mode isn't really of any use in ebooks, its more useful for browser to scroll pages, and we all know browsing isn't really an activity that NST/G's handles good enough i thought I'd lay Fast2Mode to rest from RNMenu, however others might find it a worthy contender to have it in RNMenu.

I like the running line figurine for the Fast2Mode Icon, If you have the original image without BG transparency please attach the same so I'll recreate it for you and the community to use ...

I'm really not that familiar with that app but aren't there two of them, one being settings? When I worked it into QuickTiles as an option it seems to me you could turn off the notification.

I really would like to get rid of that notification ... keeps the topbar clean and tidy ... any other clear screen app that has the ability to turn the notification off is certainly welcome.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
If not for 'Clear Screen' notification i wouldn't have figured there was an overlap.
Yeah, and I think I saw something like that during development when transferring files via FTP, but I dismissed it as some kind of weird fluke, so my bad.

Here's what I've learned about that (and I've updated the posting of the new app version). The notification drawer is a curious thing. It can "always" be opened or closed with a grand up or down swipe, although sometimes you accidentally get one of the apps on your screen to fire up instead... When there are no notifications, the touch-sensitive area is adjacent to the "back" button, not where the notification number would be shown (in fact, sort of between those areas). When a notification number is showing the touch-sensitive area is extended over the notification number, but a tap between that and the "back" button (maybe closer to the "back" button) will open the drawer. I don't think there is any way for me to address this. Only a blocking overlay will work here and there seems to be some odd "leakage" around it, although I've never seen that with QuickTiles.

I thought about placing another overlay where the notification number is but I could not find a shell command which would open and close the drawer. There are lots of them out there, but they must all be for later versions of Android.

So...it's a matter of relearning. The drawer is accessible, even using this app, but the tap zone is shifted a little (or you can try the swipe).
yes you are right, that was a resuse of the refresh icon, I've added 'F2' to the icon which probably isn't legible given the overall icon size. On second thoughts i kind of chose to drop the Fast Refresh for now as i didn't see any use for it. As you must've have noticed by now I am repositioning my NST/G purely as a reading device, with Nook(defaulting) to EPUB, Kindle handling MOBI and eBookdroid managing PDF, my circle of life is complete, Fast2Mode isn't really of any use in ebooks, its more useful for browser to scroll pages,
Or in larger pdfs. If you want anything, you want NoRefresh, not FastMode. Fastmode displays text really poorly. I use NoRefresh with the browser when reading text-only news or even XDA, and also with EBookDroid when I have a magazine or similar which is on continuous vertical page mode.
I like the running line figurine for the Fast2Mode Icon, If you have the original image without BG transparency please attach the same so I'll recreate it for you and the community to use ...
Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't think and was in a rush. I removed the transparency and replaced the images.
I really would like to get rid of that notification ... keeps the topbar clean and tidy ... any other clear screen app that has the ability to turn the notification off is certainly welcome.
I also hate annoying notifications. You can turn that one off in the Settings app that comes with NookClearScreen. It still seems to work, although I confess I've never been sure. I must have enchanted devices because I have never seen any reason for such an app. Only when developing in Tasker (which is unfortunately dark-themed) and other such fooling around do I accumulate screen crud, but it goes away in one or two screen changes and I just ignore it. Otherwise, the screen generally looks pretty good to me.

Anyway, turn off the notification and see if the app still appears to work for you.

I have updated the app in the zip package with one that corrects for my bad flub on the corner transparency of the menus. You should just be able to install right over the previous one.

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
but a tap between that and the "back" button (maybe closer to the "back" button) will open the drawer.

Yeah, can live with that ... the notification hot area is moved to the right(a missed target)

If you want anything, you want NoRefresh, not FastMode

Ah ! ... you are right 'norefresh' is what i wanted but got confused with FastMode ...

You can turn that one off in the Settings app that comes with NookClearScreen
am i missing something ? ... i don't see any clear screen settings app ... 🤔

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    See post #50 for a new user-customizable version, RN Menu 2.0!

*Updated to v. 1.1.1--more accurate placement of menu in landscape*
    Version 1.2.1 substitutes FastMode2 for NoRefresh.

This app is a toggle which places a small menu directly below the status bar "reading now" button and extends the function of that button. While the app can be used as a stand-alone toggle, it is best used by reassigning the "reading now" button with Nook Touch ModManager to the app. No function is lost, as the first item on the short menu is "reading now". As currently configured, the menu options are:

1. Reading Now (same as original stock button function)
    2. Orientation (a landscape/portrait toggle using Rotation Locker)
    3. No Refresh
    4. Set Cover (which potentially sets the screensaver image to the current book cover)

See screenshot below.

While the app is not user-configurable (maybe some day, probably not) now that I have produced a template to work with it is reasonably easy to customize and I would entertain requests for specific items--assuming I can figure out how to implement them! There have been other approaches to setting a menu in this position, but they have involved modding jars and have been limited to specific firmwares. This app should run on all firmwares and does not require modification of any jar files. If you don't like it, you just uninstall it and it's over and done with. For me, this project has been a proof of concept and I've learned a lot. Maybe an extended power menu is next?

Requirements

--Rotation Locker (attached below) (required for Orientation option)
    --No Refresh Toggle (I am running NoRefreshToggle-debug2, but it may not matter--someone can let me know?)
    --Root (required for Set Cover option and for menu itself as of v.1.1.1)
    --sqlite3 (available in this post where the screensaver option setup is explained in detail)
    --As this is a Tasker-generated app (but does not require Tasker to run!) there is a dependency on two library files normally installed with GApps. If you do not have GApps installed on your device, you can still use this app by copying the two attached files into the locations shown below (the xml file is zipped so you can download it rather than view it):

Set permissions for both files to rw-r--r-- and reboot. Without these files resident, the app will not install.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    How to use

The best implementation is to reassign the "reading now" button to this app using Nook Touch ModManager. When that is done, tapping on the "reading now" icon will produce the menu and you can make your selection from there. If you inadvertently tap the icon, you can dismiss the menu by tapping again. It's a toggle. Starting with v. 1.1.1, root is required to allow the app to query the current screen orientation. This enables a more accurate placement of the menu in landscape mode.

The screen orientation by default is, of course, Portrait, so the toggle goes immediately to Landscape. Landscape runs as a background service (notification) to lock in the feature since some apps resist the change. Selecting orientation again returns you to Portrait and ends the background service until the next selection. It's also possible to exit Landscape by tapping on the notification. This brings up the three-line menu (invisible text unless you have altered your background image colors). The top option is Portrait.

The first time you select Set Cover you will be asked to allow root access. This part of the app includes shell commands and thus needs root access.

That's it! I'd appreciate bug reports and/or suggestions and welcome requests for customized menus (at least for now!). Enjoy!
    I have a request, if you have time and it's not too much trouble.

1. Reading Now
    2. Renate's Temblast Library (which I use as a quick list of what I'm currently reading)
    3. Fastmode2
    4. Your new USB Audio Toggle

I can do that easily if I know how the library is supposed to work. Is it just sending an intent, starting an app or....?

Also, there's nothing magic about 4 items, so if you want fewer or more, that's doable.

Edit: I've looked at the Library app. Very straightforward tap-and-go. So just let me know if you want any more (or fewer) items and I'll get on it.
    Wow! That's awesome! Yeah, I think those four would be awesome!

Could you also make one with
    1. Reading Now
    2. Renate's Temblast Library

I have bought and rooted many NST's for friends and having just those two options will be very convenient for them... They aren't really techy, so too many options would just confuse them. ;)

That would be useful for them when I make other NST's. I'm planning on making 3 more, so I think that would be great! The one with 4 options on it, I'd be using personally.

These are the apps you're looking for {waves hand vaguely}.
    @nmyshkin ... thanks ... I would be interested in this app, I wanted to have the default 'reading now' on nook reader ... and a customizable option so i can probable configure some other reading apps and their last read book directly opening when the option is invoked ...

Update

I tried installing your app from OP for 1.2.1 ... but it did not install ... If its not too much trouble can you make one that runs on 1.2.2 and share the same ?

thank.s
    The app should run on FW 1.2.2. If you can't install maybe you forgot to copy the two small dependency files?

Edit: or, did you forget to install Rotation Locker first? Because that app is one of the menu options, it's seen as a dependency and my app will not install if it doesn't see it there.

As I made it, however, the app will not do what you want. It is not programmable by the user. At the time I made it I was just starting out with making apps with Tasker. I suppose it would be possible now to produce an app that is more flexible, but it would not be very user friendly because there is no way to predict what someone might want to do and therefore code would almost certainly need to be sussed out and written in by the user. That doesn't sound like something people would really want. In any case I'm still bogged down in my Dictionary project so.....

If you have a static set of wishes, that would be easier.
    Oh Dictionary project for our Nook Simple Touch and Glowlight ?
    Is it interesting ? If so pleas share the link to ...
    Not ready yet, but slowly getting there. The app is complete. Still testing to be sure it won't destroy the NST/G. I have a few more dictionaries to complete.
    Static set of wishes ... It has a limitation of 4 buttons only ?
    That's how it is now, but any number of buttons can be added. Do you really want a laundry list?
    1. Nook continue to the Last read book and position.
    2. Amazon app so that will direct the user to the amazon app with the last book open.
    3. App Drawer
    4. Nook Clear Screen

these would be my 4 if 4 is the limitation ... however if more were to be accommodated then ...

5. File Manager(Root Browser)
    6. Statusbar - Glowlight
    Mmmm.... See below.
    Would a cleaner implementation for the 5th & 6th options and others separately as an app that can be mapped with NTMM to the Statusbar - Glowlight button(primarily because this part is accessible directly from the book you are reading in the default nook reader, some ting of a quickaccess tiles/lists with the below ...

1. Glowligh & Wifi
    2. File Manager(Root Browser)
    So you seem to be describing (kinda) my QuickTiles app. Have you looked at it?

Take a look at that (which includes the Nook Clear Screen option and the Glowlight and WiFi controls, but not a file manager option) and see if that would meet your needs. Modules could be added but I did sort of want to keep it to display/mode functions, rather than turning it into a sort of launcher.

After that, confirm your choices for the ReadingNow menu and I'll see what I can come up with. Not sure about the Kindle app opening to the last book, but the info must be somewhere that could be poked at.