[APP][NST/G] Reading Now button menu

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    See post #50 for a new user-customizable version, RN Menu 2.0!

*Updated to v. 1.1.1--more accurate placement of menu in landscape*
    Version 1.2.1 substitutes FastMode2 for NoRefresh.

This app is a toggle which places a small menu directly below the status bar "reading now" button and extends the function of that button. While the app can be used as a stand-alone toggle, it is best used by reassigning the "reading now" button with Nook Touch ModManager to the app. No function is lost, as the first item on the short menu is "reading now". As currently configured, the menu options are:

1. Reading Now (same as original stock button function)
    2. Orientation (a landscape/portrait toggle using Rotation Locker)
    3. No Refresh
    4. Set Cover (which potentially sets the screensaver image to the current book cover)

See screenshot below.

While the app is not user-configurable (maybe some day, probably not) now that I have produced a template to work with it is reasonably easy to customize and I would entertain requests for specific items--assuming I can figure out how to implement them! There have been other approaches to setting a menu in this position, but they have involved modding jars and have been limited to specific firmwares. This app should run on all firmwares and does not require modification of any jar files. If you don't like it, you just uninstall it and it's over and done with. For me, this project has been a proof of concept and I've learned a lot. Maybe an extended power menu is next?

Requirements

--Rotation Locker (attached below) (required for Orientation option)
    --No Refresh Toggle (I am running NoRefreshToggle-debug2, but it may not matter--someone can let me know?)
    --Root (required for Set Cover option and for menu itself as of v.1.1.1)
    --sqlite3 (available in this post where the screensaver option setup is explained in detail)
    --As this is a Tasker-generated app (but does not require Tasker to run!) there is a dependency on two library files normally installed with GApps. If you do not have GApps installed on your device, you can still use this app by copying the two attached files into the locations shown below (the xml file is zipped so you can download it rather than view it):

/system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
    /system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar

Set permissions for both files to rw-r--r-- and reboot. Without these files resident, the app will not install.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    How to use

The best implementation is to reassign the "reading now" button to this app using Nook Touch ModManager. When that is done, tapping on the "reading now" icon will produce the menu and you can make your selection from there. If you inadvertently tap the icon, you can dismiss the menu by tapping again. It's a toggle. Starting with v. 1.1.1, root is required to allow the app to query the current screen orientation. This enables a more accurate placement of the menu in landscape mode.

The screen orientation by default is, of course, Portrait, so the toggle goes immediately to Landscape. Landscape runs as a background service (notification) to lock in the feature since some apps resist the change. Selecting orientation again returns you to Portrait and ends the background service until the next selection. It's also possible to exit Landscape by tapping on the notification. This brings up the three-line menu (invisible text unless you have altered your background image colors). The top option is Portrait.

The first time you select Set Cover you will be asked to allow root access. This part of the app includes shell commands and thus needs root access.

That's it! I'd appreciate bug reports and/or suggestions and welcome requests for customized menus (at least for now!). Enjoy!
    I have a request, if you have time and it's not too much trouble.

1. Reading Now
    2. Renate's Temblast Library (which I use as a quick list of what I'm currently reading)
    3. Fastmode2
    4. Your new USB Audio Toggle

I can do that easily if I know how the library is supposed to work. Is it just sending an intent, starting an app or....?

Also, there's nothing magic about 4 items, so if you want fewer or more, that's doable.

Edit: I've looked at the Library app. Very straightforward tap-and-go. So just let me know if you want any more (or fewer) items and I'll get on it.
    Wow! That's awesome! Yeah, I think those four would be awesome!

Could you also make one with
    1. Reading Now
    2. Renate's Temblast Library

I have bought and rooted many NST's for friends and having just those two options will be very convenient for them... They aren't really techy, so too many options would just confuse them. ;)

That would be useful for them when I make other NST's. I'm planning on making 3 more, so I think that would be great! The one with 4 options on it, I'd be using personally.

These are the apps you're looking for {waves hand vaguely}.
    @nmyshkin ... thanks ... I would be interested in this app, I wanted to have the default 'reading now' on nook reader ... and a customizable option so i can probable configure some other reading apps and their last read book directly opening when the option is invoked ...

Update

I tried installing your app from OP for 1.2.1 ... but it did not install ... If its not too much trouble can you make one that runs on 1.2.2 and share the same ?

thank.s
    The app should run on FW 1.2.2. If you can't install maybe you forgot to copy the two small dependency files?
    /system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml
    /system/framework/com.google.android.maps.jar

Set permissions for both files to rw-r--r-- and reboot. Without these files resident, the app will not install.
    Edit: or, did you forget to install Rotation Locker first? Because that app is one of the menu options, it's seen as a dependency and my app will not install if it doesn't see it there.

As I made it, however, the app will not do what you want. It is not programmable by the user. At the time I made it I was just starting out with making apps with Tasker. I suppose it would be possible now to produce an app that is more flexible, but it would not be very user friendly because there is no way to predict what someone might want to do and therefore code would almost certainly need to be sussed out and written in by the user. That doesn't sound like something people would really want. In any case I'm still bogged down in my Dictionary project so.....

If you have a static set of wishes, that would be easier.
    Oh Dictionary project for our Nook Simple Touch and Glowlight ?
    Is it interesting ? If so pleas share the link to ...
    Not ready yet, but slowly getting there. The app is complete. Still testing to be sure it won't destroy the NST/G. I have a few more dictionaries to complete.
    Static set of wishes ... It has a limitation of 4 buttons only ?
    That's how it is now, but any number of buttons can be added. Do you really want a laundry list?
    1. Nook continue to the Last read book and position.
    2. Amazon app so that will direct the user to the amazon app with the last book open.
    3. App Drawer
    4. Nook Clear Screen

these would be my 4 if 4 is the limitation ... however if more were to be accommodated then ...

5. File Manager(Root Browser)
    6. Statusbar - Glowlight
    Mmmm.... See below.
    Would a cleaner implementation for the 5th & 6th options and others separately as an app that can be mapped with NTMM to the Statusbar - Glowlight button(primarily because this part is accessible directly from the book you are reading in the default nook reader, some ting of a quickaccess tiles/lists with the below ...

1. Glowligh & Wifi
    2. File Manager(Root Browser)
    So you seem to be describing (kinda) my QuickTiles app. Have you looked at it?

Take a look at that (which includes the Nook Clear Screen option and the Glowlight and WiFi controls, but not a file manager option) and see if that would meet your needs. Modules could be added but I did sort of want to keep it to display/mode functions, rather than turning it into a sort of launcher.

After that, confirm your choices for the ReadingNow menu and I'll see what I can come up with. Not sure about the Kindle app opening to the last book, but the info must be somewhere that could be poked at.