[APP][O][XPOSED] GravityBox v8.6.0 - tweak box for Android 8 [14/02/2021]

Mikolaj612

Dec 16, 2009
Hi @C3C076

I've got one question regarding your app.

At this moment my phone is LG G7 and I'm very familiar with Gravity Box due to long usage of this app with my previous phones (mostly Sony Xperia).
Right now my phone is running Oreo (8.0), which is running fine, I had original Xposed and Magisk (newest version 18.1 and Xposed as a Magisk module).
Then I switched to EdXposed due to safetynet and curiosity of testing something new.

Here's my issue, when I had original @rovo89 Xposed then everything was working fine as far as I can tell (I just used few options that works well on my device).
After switching to EdXposed and reinstalling GravityBox to EdXposed version my phone behaves weird - I could boot properly, but whole UI is not rendered in any way.
I'm able to see AON (Always on Display) or reboot menu - but that's far I can go.
My fingerprint scanner is not responding, there is not haptic response also.
To get my phone working again I need to disable magisk module, then I'm able to disable/uninstall GravityBox.

Question is - does my issue had something to do with EdXposed (because it's still early beta) or GravityBox itself?
I could survive/wait for fix because LG provide many little things that I was always worried about when I was using Sony.
But after all it will be best to get this thing working again.

Last edited:

C3C076

Recognized Contributor
Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
Hi @C3C076

I've got one question regarding your app.

At this moment my phone is LG G7 and I'm very familiar with Gravity Box due to long usage of this app with my previous phones (mostly Sony Xperia).
Right now my phone is running Oreo (8.0), which is running fine, I had original Xposed and Magisk (newest version 18.1 and Xposed as a Magisk module).
Then I switched to EdXposed due to safetynet and curiosity of testing something new.

Here's my issue, when I had original @rovo89 Xposed then everything was working fine as far as I can tell (I just used few options that works well on my device).
After switching to EdXposed and reinstalling GravityBox to EdXposed version my phone behaves weird - I could boot properly, but whole UI is not rendered in any way.
I'm able to see AON (Always on Display) or reboot menu - but that's far I can go.
My fingerprint scanner is not responding, there is not haptic response also.
To get my phone working again I need to disable magisk module, then I'm able to disable/uninstall GravityBox.

Question is - does my issue had something to do with EdXposed (because it's still early beta) or GravityBox itself?
I could survive/wait for fix because LG provide many little things that I was always worried about when I was using Sony.
But after all it will be best to get this thing working again.
This looks like incompatibility with EdXposed to me. But I can only speculate if I don't see a logcat.
Ideally and if possible, use ADB to capture logcat while device is booting, let it output results to a file.

Hello @C3C076!
The increasing ring of the call does not work for me. Settings made. On similar smartphones function works. I think about the problem with my device. Could you help me find out what's wrong?
GB version: GravityBox_Oreo_8.5.3
View attachment 4734213
You have to enable "Error logging" in About section of GravityBox.
Next you have to get logs after testing that feature (after receiving a phone call while feature is enabled).
Please, direct your further info and discussion here: https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/issues (open new issue for your case)

Reactions: iva.f
Feb 4, 2014
Ok, ok, I do know that EMUI 5 is not supported, but until 7.0.8 most of features work, but after that version nothing work, even previously working features... What happened so revolutionary?

Last edited:

dichandcheck

Aug 23, 2014
Ultimate notification control - per app settings -download manager

With this version and previous I can never override the default notification sound for download manager using the ultimate notification control per app settings feature. I try to set it to none so it doesn't blow up my phone when downloading multiple files with the screen off. Has anyone else had this issue?:cowboy:

C3C076

Recognized Contributor
Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
With this version and previous I can never override the default notification sound for download manager using the ultimate notification control per app settings feature. I try to set it to none so it doesn't blow up my phone when downloading multiple files with the screen off. Has anyone else had this issue?:cowboy:
Depends on whether it is a normal or ongoing notification. If it's an ongoing one, you also have to check "Ongoing" checkbox.

dope77

Aug 8, 2018
been using the app for a long time ,used the kk mm ll versions and never experienced such problems with gravitybox
i'm using the oreo version on android 8.1.0 and this problem is really annoying,just by doing any change/tweak from gravitybox, lockscreen won't respond anymore,it'll just go black and the wallpaper would come and go each few seconds.
is there anything i can provide to fix this?

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
- Show brightness icon
- Brightness Settings in Display Tweaks
- Enable lockscreen rotation

aren't working here (Sony Z3c on AOSP based CarbonROM). They are working with the normal Xposed version of GB.

@C3C076: Now that EdXposed beta 4 supports resource hooking (Yay! :victory:), Show brightness icon and Enable lockscreen rotation are working again. :)

Only Brightness Settings in Display Tweaks still don't work here with EdXposed beta 4. I really miss them, since I prefer to have a lower minimum brightness setting and a flatter lux - brightness gradient than the ROM provides.

Are there any other prerequisites than resource hooking to make Brightness Settings work again? Or did you probably drop some of the code in GravityBox 8.5.x-edxposed which you could now add again? Or could I now switch to the normal (non edxposed) version of GravityBox again (I didn't try this yet), now that resource hooking is supported by EdXposed?

I'm still using Android 8.1 since there isn't a fully working Andoid 9 ROM for my phone yet. Otherwise I would of course use GravityBox v9.0.0, but I'm not sure if Brightness Settings is working on your current beta version for Pie!?

Thanks in advance for some feedback on my questions and keep up the great work! :cool:

C3C076

Recognized Contributor
Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
been using the app for a long time ,used the kk mm ll versions and never experienced such problems with gravitybox
i'm using the oreo version on android 8.1.0 and this problem is really annoying,just by doing any change/tweak from gravitybox, lockscreen won't respond anymore,it'll just go black and the wallpaper would come and go each few seconds.
is there anything i can provide to fix this?
These seems like symptoms of SystemUI crash. Logcat of crash would be needed to tell what's causing it.

@C3C076: Now that EdXposed beta 4 supports resource hooking (Yay! :victory:), Show brightness icon and Enable lockscreen rotation are working again. :)

Only Brightness Settings in Display Tweaks still don't work here with EdXposed beta 4. I really miss them, since I prefer to have a lower minimum brightness setting and a flatter lux - brightness gradient than the ROM provides.

Are there any other prerequisites than resource hooking to make Brightness Settings work again? Or did you probably drop some of the code in GravityBox 8.5.x-edxposed which you could now add again? Or could I now switch to the normal (non edxposed) version of GravityBox again (I didn't try this yet), now that resource hooking is supported by EdXposed?

I'm still using Android 8.1 since there isn't a fully working Andoid 9 ROM for my phone yet. Otherwise I would of course use GravityBox v9.0.0, but I'm not sure if Brightness Settings is working on your current beta version for Pie!?

Thanks in advance for some feedback on my questions and keep up the great work! :cool:
If resource hooking support already works reliably in edxposed 4 it is suggested to use standard version of GravityBox instead of edxposed one.

Reactions: okij and sjamie

okij

Oct 24, 2012
Düsseldorf
If resource hooking support already works reliably in edxposed 4 it is suggested to use standard version of GravityBox instead of edxposed one.
Thanks for this info!

I'm happy to confirm that the standard 8.5.3 version of GravityBox works with the 90.0-0.4.0.1-beta-SNAPSHOT (Sandhook) version of EdXposed. :highfive:

It took a couple ot tries to get it to work. Just restoring the 8.5.2 version of GravityBox (which I had as a TitatiumBackup) including Data didn't work, also after deactivating GB, rebooting, activating GB and rebooting again.

So I uninstalled GravityBox completely, installed the standard 8.5.3 version from the Xposed repository, activated it and rebooted. Then I restored my GB settings which I had saved some weeks ago (still on the standard version) with the pro feature of GravitiyBox and rebooted. And voila, now it's working. :)

All resource hooking features that I use (like the Brightness Settings in Display Tweaks) are now working again! :cool:

Reactions: C3C076

dope77

Aug 8, 2018
These seems like symptoms of SystemUI crash. Logcat of crash would be needed to tell what's causing it.

Things got worse, even restarting my phone didn't fix the not responding ui. Had to delete gravitybox from file manager in twrp to boot.
How can i post logs? Is it possible to pull logs from adb or twrp, cz phone will boot but system ui will hang with GB installed.

C3C076

Recognized Contributor
Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
Things got worse, even restarting my phone didn't fix the not responding ui. Had to delete gravitybox from file manager in twrp to boot.
How can i post logs? Is it possible to pull logs from adb or twrp, cz phone will boot but system ui will hang with GB installed.
In case of such SystemUI crashes, not only xposed log is required, but also logcat of crash of SystemUI is required.
XPosed log can be exported from Xposed Installer / EdXposed Manager (whatever you use).
SystemUI crash can be captured by using ADB (or alternatively using some logcat app from play store).
Please, open issue at https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/issues and continue there.

Dru79

Sep 23, 2010
When I use GravityBox on Oreo (Oneplus 3T OOS or custom 8.1) and I use other phone app (True Phone) then I have double notification of missed call. Why?

C3C076

Recognized Contributor
Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
When I use GravityBox on Oreo (Oneplus 3T OOS or custom 8.1) and I use other phone app (True Phone) then I have double notification of missed call. Why?
One might be default system one while the other one is generated by app itself. You should try with GravityBox disabled to check if you get the same behavior or not.

Dru79

Sep 23, 2010
One might be default system one while the other one is generated by app itself. You should try with GravityBox disabled to check if you get the same behavior or not.
When I disable GravityBox then notification of missed call is OK (one from Telecom.apk). When I enable GravityBox then I have double notification of missed call (two from Telecom.apk).

Last edited:

C3C076

Recognized Contributor
Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
When I disable GravityBox then notification of missed call is OK (one from Telecom.apk). When I enable GravityBox then I have double notification of missed call (two from Telecom.apk).
Might be related to a workaround in GravityBox for AOSP bug that prevents LED for missed call notifications.
The workaround reposts the same notification after screen is turned off which activates LED.
Not sure why you get double notification as I use the same ID of notification so original should get updated instead of new one created.
If you want me to help debug that, please open issue at https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/issues