[APP] 'ODEX ME': Odexing deodexed roms for a BOOST IN PERFORMANCE

Search This thread

flolep

Aug 24, 2010
Hello Galaxy Nexus Xda Users!

Informations:

Here is a simple apk to odex automatically, easily and securely deodexed roms.

This apk has been coded by the famous Paul Obrien from Modaco Roms and Forums.

This guy is just a genious.

The original apk has been done for Galaxy S II but it works on Galaxy Nexus (tested working). --> Original thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1215271

Paul is even using it in his own Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 Custom Rom here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1487056

But I tested the apk on other 4.0.3 deodexed roms that you can find in the development section of the Galaxy Nexus and it is working perfectly (Aokp odexed rom is wonderful...)

Odexing a deodexed rom is giving you a boost in smoothness (you can see it in the launcher or in scrolling through system apps), performance and battery.

It gives you the flexibility to have a custom rom with modified system, framework and design AND all the tweaks that come with a custom rom in addition to the performance of an odexed stock rom.

To use it:

1) make sure you have a custom rooted rom / kernel with init.d support (scripts must be able to run at boot: it is a folder in /system/etc). It is very important or it won't run pre-boot scripts... Thanks to open1your1eyes0 who remarked it.

You can try this useful application to add init.d support to your ROM / kernel: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1933849

2) make sure that you don't have transparent status bar before odexing or you will loose your bar after odexing... (for AOKP users for example). Thanks to frantic912 who noticed it.

3) simply put the apk in /system/app folder with a file browser like "Root Explorer" (the folder must be in RW mode to copy the file)

4) do a nandroid backup in cwm and / or titanium backup of all your apps (even the system ones like Gmail)

5) then go to the launcher

6) tap "Odex me"

7) follow the instructions

It will:

1) reboot your phone

2) odex all the system staying on a black screen or on the Google screen a bit longer than normally (but it's normal)

3) put a ".odex" file with each app in /system/app

4) reboot again

5) go back to home

--> You will then see your boost in smoothness!

For people who are not convinced: check that: http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...e-difference-between-odexed-and-deodexed-roms

To see if it worked:

- Go to /system/app folder and see if there is a ".odex extension" for each system apk.

I attached the apk to this thread for ease of use.

Please write here your tests, opinions, questions, and thank Paul (and me for giving you this info :p) for this wonderful and simple apk.

P.S. Please read reports from other users in the thread before trying the apk as some users seem to loose their status bar if they set transparency effects or some of them are having "force closes" if the rom they are using is too much themed...

P.S.2. Pay attention please, as androidphone2012 intelligently noticed, this apk can only odex *.apk files. The system framework is not odexed by it. To odex the framework too, please use the following script instead. It odexes *.apk files and Framework *.jar files too.

--> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2278586

If you already ran the apk to odex apk files, do not flash that zip: re-flash your ROM, GApps and MODs you're using and then flash the zip.

For your information, I tested the CM10.1 zip from the thread on my AOKP latest nightly build version and it worked flawlessly.

Attachments

• com.modaco.odexme.apk
    189.6 KB · Views: 11,280
Last edited:

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
I don't think this works. It rebooted and when I booted back and checked, there were no .odex files in the /system/app folder. Has anyone else got it working?

FYI, tested on 4.0.4 stock deodexed ROM.

Last edited:

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
So apparently I spoke to soon...:(

The app ran this time but after the reboot and odex process, my SystemUI wouldn't load and I ended up with no notification bar up top or any soft-keys at all. Also it was back to stock wallpaper. Not sure what happened, it looked like everything went through fine but I guess my SystemUI is borked.

Recovering from backup now...

I am not sure what caused this issue. I did have modded soft-keys and battery icon however, but I don't see why this would matter if a lot of the custom ROMs have modded soft-keys anyway. I would like to point out this was on stocked deodexed 4.0.4 ROM. If this works for anyone else, I would surely like to know. MAKE SURE you backup before trying.

Last edited:

k0yuki

Nov 28, 2011
Thank you Flolep ;)

It works great for me, but I don't know why Gmail disappeared. But it's still in /system/app, so I tried to install and I get this : Application not installed

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
Thank you Flolep ;)

It works great for me, but I don't know why Gmail disappeared. But it's still in /system/app, so I tried to install and I get this : Application not installed

It's a system app so you can't "install" it. It has to be flashed into the ROM. I have a feeling this app is not exactly the most reliable in working with all the apks.

flolep

Aug 24, 2010
It's a system app so you can't "install" it. It has to be flashed into the ROM. I have a feeling this app is not exactly the most reliable in working with all the apks.

Well. I didn't have any problem with it... Gmail was still there and my framework and system ui didn't have any problem after reboot...

I tried with modaco 4.0.4 rom that is near stock 4.0.4 deodexed rom and I tried with heavily customized aokp latest aokp build 25 rom, configured for my needs, battery percent, toggles, navigation controls in blue, etc, etc, and all worked seamlessly...

I add to first thread to do a nandroid backup before launching the process.

+ +

frantic912

Jan 22, 2011
Putrajaya
So apparently I spoke to soon...:(

The app ran this time but after the reboot and odex process, my SystemUI wouldn't load and I ended up with no notification bar up top or any soft-keys at all. Also it was back to stock wallpaper. Not sure what happened, it looked like everything went through fine but I guess my SystemUI is borked.

Recovering from backup now...

I am not sure what caused this issue. I did have modded soft-keys and battery icon however, but I don't see why this would matter if a lot of the custom ROMs have modded soft-keys anyway. I would like to point out this was on stocked deodexed 4.0.4 ROM. If this works for anyone else, I would surely like to know. MAKE SURE you backup before trying.

same as me...i'm using AOKP M3....but odex file is created on /system/app....maybe i need to backup framework-res.apk & restore it back after deodexed...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

flolep

Aug 24, 2010
same as me...i'm using AOKP M3....but odex file is created on /system/app....maybe i need to backup framework-res.apk & restore it back after deodexed...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Or try build 25 of aokp... It works for me...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

D

Deleted member 2086469

I will keep in view for this app until more success cases reported :D

But I definitely will try after back from my vacation, wouldn't risk to brick my device on a trip ;p

k0yuki

Nov 28, 2011
I finally found the problem...
I forgot that the custom ROM I'm using needs a sort of modded Gapps pack to be install via CWM.
I think here is the issue.

Mi|enko

Jul 15, 2006
Worked fine for me. GSM GN on AOKP B25. Just make a backup in cwm before you do it. Worst case scenario: it boot loops, you pop the battery, boot into recovery and restore.

Do you know the muffin man?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Galaxy Nexus Xda Users!

Informations:

Here is a simple apk to odex automatically, easily and securely deodexed roms.

This apk has been coded by the famous Paul Obrien from Modaco Roms and Forums.

This guy is just a genious.

The original apk has been done for Galaxy S II but it works on Galaxy Nexus (tested working). --> Original thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1215271

Paul is even using it in his own Galaxy Nexus 4.0.4 Custom Rom here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1487056

But I tested the apk on other 4.0.3 deodexed roms that you can find in the development section of the Galaxy Nexus and it is working perfectly (Aokp odexed rom is wonderful...)

Odexing a deodexed rom is giving you a boost in smoothness (you can see it in the launcher or in scrolling through system apps), performance and battery.

It gives you the flexibility to have a custom rom with modified system, framework and design AND all the tweaks that come with a custom rom in addition to the performance of an odexed stock rom.

To use it:

1) make sure you have a custom rooted rom / kernel with init.d support (scripts must be able to run at boot: it is a folder in /system/etc). It is very important or it won't run pre-boot scripts... Thanks to open1your1eyes0 who remarked it.

You can try this useful application to add init.d support to your ROM / kernel: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1933849

2) make sure that you don't have transparent status bar before odexing or you will loose your bar after odexing... (for AOKP users for example). Thanks to frantic912 who noticed it.

3) simply put the apk in /system/app folder with a file browser like "Root Explorer" (the folder must be in RW mode to copy the file)

4) do a nandroid backup in cwm and / or titanium backup of all your apps (even the system ones like Gmail)

5) then go to the launcher

6) tap "Odex me"

7) follow the instructions

It will:

1) reboot your phone

2) odex all the system staying on a black screen or on the Google screen a bit longer than normally (but it's normal)

3) put a ".odex" file with each app in /system/app

4) reboot again

5) go back to home

--> You will then see your boost in smoothness!

For people who are not convinced: check that: http://android.stackexchange.com/qu...e-difference-between-odexed-and-deodexed-roms

To see if it worked:

- Go to /system/app folder and see if there is a ".odex extension" for each system apk.

I attached the apk to this thread for ease of use.

Please write here your tests, opinions, questions, and thank Paul (and me for giving you this info :p) for this wonderful and simple apk.

P.S. Please read reports from other users in the thread before trying the apk as some users seem to loose their status bar if they set transparency effects or some of them are having "force closes" if the rom they are using is too much themed...

P.S.2. Pay attention please, as androidphone2012 intelligently noticed, this apk can only odex *.apk files. The system framework is not odexed by it. To odex the framework too, please use the following script instead. It odexes *.apk files and Framework *.jar files too.

--> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2278586

If you already ran the apk to odex apk files, do not flash that zip: re-flash your ROM, GApps and MODs you're using and then flash the zip.

For your information, I tested the CM10.1 zip from the thread on my AOKP latest nightly build version and it worked flawlessly.
    FYI, that app can odex only *.apk.

This Script can also odex *.jar.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2278586

If you already ran that app in OP, do not flash that zip. Re-flash the ROM, GApps and MODs you're using and then flash.

Because the rest jars / the system apps produce dalvik-cache according to the core jar and can be odexed the same way. For the complete odex, we have to take turns "the core jars -> the rest jars and apks".

Thank you for your contribution, androidphone2012.

I tested the zip in this thread.

It worked flawlessly on AOKP latest nightly version so I will update the OP to reflect what you said.
    Disregard previous post...

Did not have init.d support. Very important or it won't run pre-boot scripts!
    Hello, I tried your application but it does not work ...
    I'm on S3, deodexed stock Rom with siyah kernel 1.8.9, I put the folder init.d in system / etc, I start your application, it asks me to reboot the system odexed, but nothing that password ...
    Have I missed something??

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Maybe Siyah kernel doesn't have init.d support... Ask them in the Siyah Kernel thread...

Or you can try to add init.d support by using this useful application : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1933849 (edited OP to add this url)

++
    What should I be careful about if I odex my PA ROM???

Seems to good to be true about better performance. What are the catches of odex??? Please put it in dumby definition please.
    --------------------------------------------------
    If I have helped you.... hit that sexy thanks button. ^_^

You won't be able to flash anything until you de-odex, that includes new versions of your current ROM and mods.