[APP] OmniSwitch for Oreo [8.1]

Search This thread

Could Be Anyone

May 16, 2013
There was a previous thread with OmniSwitch for Oreo but it doesn't support 8.1.0.

My version includes the new version that is made for 8.1.0 and includes the toggle so if you are running a custom rom you are able to set it to open when you tap the recent app button instead of using the horrible drag handle, otherwise just use Button Mapper and you'll be good to go.

This was tested on a G930F (herolte) running the Resurrection Remix 6.0.0 beta but it should work universally.

How to install:
  1. Flash .zip in TWRP.
  2. Enjoy using a superior recent apps experience cause stock sucks.

Attachments

• OmniSwitch.zip
    740.8 KB · Views: 6,331
  • Screenshot_Settings_20180216-222842.jpg
    Screenshot_Settings_20180216-222842.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 9,556

theduke7

Apr 8, 2011
Cairo
It does work thanks...but as other versions since 8.0 it can't get system permission , would be great I'd someone can fix this signing issue

Thanks for your work

Reactions: bmwdroid

Vodderz

Aug 19, 2013
Nottingham, UK
Doesn't work for me. After flashing in TWRP 3.2.1, I set the Hardware Keys > Overview Button to open the Omniswitch app, but nothing happens. Oneplus 3T, Resurrection Remix 6.0.0, flashed in TWRP 3.2.1.

Update: Works perfectly. Thank you.

Update 2: While it works, it always shows an instance of Omniswitch in the list of recent apps. I don't remember this happening when Omniswitch was included in Resurrection Remix 5.8.5. Do you know of any fix or workaround?

Last edited:

Could Be Anyone

May 16, 2013
Doesn't work for me. After flashing in TWRP 3.2.1, I set the Hardware Keys > Overview Button to open the Omniswitch app, but nothing happens. Oneplus 3T, Resurrection Remix 6.0.0, flashed in TWRP 3.2.1.

Update: Works perfectly. Thank you.

Update 2: While it works, it always shows an instance of Omniswitch in the list of recent apps. I don't remember this happening when Omniswitch was included in Resurrection Remix 5.8.5. Do you know of any fix or workaround?

I'm really not sure sadly since I can't replicate this issue so it might be unique to the Oneplus 3T RR build, honestly this is temporary until it's baked into the rom.

theduke7

Apr 8, 2011
Cairo
I'm using the systemize magisk module to achieve this

And you're able to close app through Omni?
I tried and it didn't work (expected TBH) the zip file it self puts the app on system , the systemize module give permissions, I did that before manually using another rmodule, but also doesn't work... As far as I know this is a signature issue...the app itself need to be resigned somehow, or it works if you disable system signature check through xposed or another illegal app...which is not ideal solution.

doctorew

Mar 30, 2015
ATL
And you're able to close app through Omni?
I tried and it didn't work (expected TBH) the zip file it self puts the app on system , the systemize module give permissions, I did that before manually using another rmodule, but also doesn't work... As far as I know this is a signature issue...the app itself need to be resigned somehow, or it works if you disable system signature check through xposed or another illegal app...which is not ideal solution.

Hopefully these screenshots are in the right order...

Unzip the zip and install the app normally

Open terminal emulator
Type su
Type systemize
Select 1
Type omniswitchs index number from list
Select 2 (priv-app)
Reboot

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180219-195856.png
    Screenshot_20180219-195856.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 1,796
  • Screenshot_20180219-201010.png
    Screenshot_20180219-201010.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,762
  • Screenshot_20180219-201032.png
    Screenshot_20180219-201032.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,713
  • Screenshot_20180219-201211.png
    Screenshot_20180219-201211.png
    247.6 KB · Views: 1,484
  • Screenshot_20180219-201234.png
    Screenshot_20180219-201234.png
    240.5 KB · Views: 1,468
Last edited:

doctorew

Mar 30, 2015
ATL
I've flashed the zip successfully , but Omniswitch doesn't show up anywhere as an app.

Make sure you have the terminal version of systemize magisk module

unzip the zip and install the app normally

Open terminal emulator
Type su
Type systemize
Select 1
Select 2 (priv-app)
Reboot

Reactions: Gordietm

theduke7

Apr 8, 2011
Cairo
Hopefully these screenshots are in the right order...

Unzip the zip and install the app normally

Open terminal emulator
Type su
Type systemize
Select 1
Select 2 (priv-app)
Reboot
What you're describing is for if I installed the app, so it's in the data partition, and the systemizer will move it to priv-app and add permissions... That's not the issue,
Flash the zip normally from twrp, it will put the files on system , it doesn't need systemizer , the thing that the module does , is that it also for Oreo it adds permissions, those permissions I took and applied to the already in system file and I still had the restricted mode issue,
I also tried your procedure , installed and systemizerdwith the module , still got restricted mode, this issue is only present on Oreo, ( some ROMs maynot have it for one reason or another) but as far as I know it requires what I described before
Thanks for the suggestions though.

Reactions: doctorew

ygb7

Jun 1, 2015
I TWRP 3.2.1-7 Flashed OmniSwitch for Oreo [8.1]. It works fine except for 1 minor issue. It does not switch to any of the open running apps. It shows all of the running apps. I can scroll up & down thru the running apps. I can also kill all of the running apps with Kill All icon button. It just will not switch to any running apps that I touch in the Omniswitch UI.

Anyone else experienced this problem & hopefully solved it?

My Phone is Axon 7 A2017U running 02/25/2018 Resurrection Remix Oreo 8.1 (RR-O-v6.0.0-20180225-axon7-Weekly)

parmafran

Jul 11, 2006
I TWRP 3.2.1-7 Flashed OmniSwitch for Oreo [8.1]. It works fine except for 1 minor issue. It does not switch to any of the open running apps. It shows all of the running apps. I can scroll up & down thru the running apps. I can also kill all of the running apps with Kill All icon button. It just will not switch to any running apps that I touch in the Omniswitch UI.

Anyone else experienced this problem & hopefully solved it?

My Phone is Axon 7 A2017U running 02/25/2018 Resurrection Remix Oreo 8.1 (RR-O-v6.0.0-20180225-axon7-Weekly)

Set it to 'revert recent apps list' & app filter 'running only'. See if that helps!

Reactions: ygb7

catharsis724

Dec 26, 2014
I get the switcher to show up but I can't see app previews. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_OmniSwitch_20180312-172336.png
    Screenshot_OmniSwitch_20180312-172336.png
    213.5 KB · Views: 843

birleytweet

Apr 25, 2009
Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro (Redmi K30 Pro)
Hi I flashed this on lineageos and used gravitybox to assign to the recent button am able to switch apps but can't kill apps or use the 3 lines option to kill running apps. Not sure if it's a permissions issue somewhere as the options are there they just don't do anything. Other than that it works perfectly. Any ideas?

Gggggas

Dec 9, 2013
Hey guys I'm on the recent Oreo for S7 and man I can't get those system permissions. I tried the system method but still nothing.

If anyone has news please post it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There was a previous thread with OmniSwitch for Oreo but it doesn't support 8.1.0.

My version includes the new version that is made for 8.1.0 and includes the toggle so if you are running a custom rom you are able to set it to open when you tap the recent app button instead of using the horrible drag handle, otherwise just use Button Mapper and you'll be good to go.

This was tested on a G930F (herolte) running the Resurrection Remix 6.0.0 beta but it should work universally.

How to install:
    1. Flash .zip in TWRP.
    2. Enjoy using a superior recent apps experience cause stock sucks.
    Lol you don't read posts or you don't know what are we talking about... ignorance is a bliss.
    anyway good luck :D
    And occasionally, more help/clarification is needed.
    I did a magisk module with updated apk that installs all as system app. You can find it searching omniswitch-addon in magisk repo. I quoted this thread, too.
    @AleD219 @DanGLES3

Could you two or anyone try and work together to come up with a Magisk Module of omniswitch that can work on any rom for nougat and Oreo please that could replace the current recent apps menu by hitting the recent button? Thanks
    I did a magisk module with updated apk that installs all as system app. You can find it searching omniswitch-addon in magisk repo. I quoted this thread, too.
    So I looked into this some more, starting with porting the original OmniSwitch app to standalone source.

Sad news is that a lot of the functions are locked behind signature permissions - this means that even if the app is on system it still won't work - it has to be signed with the same key as the system apps.

If anybody claims it DOES work, then you're running a very insecure device/ROM that is open to malware. Just FYI.

I'm still reviewing whether a port is viable. Some features will need to be removed - for example the app window thumbnails can't be simulated with root AFAIK.

The other option is I take another crack at DexPatcher to create some universal signature spoof ROM patch for this specific application, but that would only work on de-odex'd ROM's and that's probably not worth it.

EDIT: Actually, a lot of it might be possible after-all (converting all the restricted stuff to root-mode scripts). Great article about it here: https://worthdoingbadly.com/androidrecents/
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone