APP - OpenIT - The easy, FREE way to unlock unlimited HotSpot on the Sprint Variant

Search This thread

Xyberz

Aug 26, 2007
Not sure if having my Note 8 factory unlocked by Sprint helps as b727pilot stated but mine is because it's been paid off and automatically unlocked by Sprint.

But all I did is copy ALL of the APN info from the default APN2 LTE|EHRPD internet settings and added ".dun" to the end of APN type into a new one that's named exactly the same thing too.

I did notice one thing that I don't see posted on here since I've done this. Also please do note that my phone is NOT rooted and is updated to the latest Android update from Sprint. Once I switch over to the newly copied APN, which is directly under the original one, I can no longer receive or send MMS messages to anyone, including the other line on my Sprint account. Not sure if this is gonna happen to you or not but it does with me. So basically once I'm done using the hotspot till my hearts content, then I switch the APN back to the original default one and instantly I'm able to use MMS again with no ill effects.

Not sure also, but I DON'T have to restart my phone for any reason or use any hidden codes when switching between the default and modified APN settings. I just switch it back and forth without any issues. I tracked my hotspot usage on the Sprint app and have confirmed beyond a reasonable doubt that this does in fact record all hotspot usage under the phone's data usage and nothing under the "hotspot" data usage on my account. I downloaded about 10 gigs of video and it updated under my phone's data usage and my hotspot usage remained exactly the same as it did before I downloaded anything.

So happy unlimited hotspotting to everyone!

kurt424

Nov 5, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Creating a new APN and copying settings works on Note 9 with Android 10

Hello All,

I updated to Android 10 and saw that the APN could not be edited. I enabled developer mode (tapping on build no. until activated). Then I went through the process below:

1. Go to Dialer ##DATA#
2. I selected Edit APN, then screen shot the setting values
3. Then I went to Create new APN (I added a 2 at the end) and typed in the values for each category.
- For APN type I put in the values in this order (default,mms,dun,xcap,supl)
4. I saved the APN, then I selected it to use.
5. Before turning on the hotspot I had to toggle data off then hotpot, then turned data on.. . . .apparently the toggle requirement is back.

I hope this helps.

eaoosa

Aug 19, 2018
Before I installed the app, the hotspot would not activate, but now it does after I installed this app. I didn't have to go into settings for the app or anything.

Note 9 US Unlocked Sprint with No Hotspot Plan

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce
Before I installed the app, the hotspot would not activate, but now it does after I installed this app. I didn't have to go into settings for the app or anything.

Note 9 US Unlocked Sprint with No Hotspot Plan

the struggle must b real if ppl have to resort to sprints slow mobike data as a wifi replacement lol

duffsdastuff

Jul 14, 2020
HELP with hotspot and android 10

Has anyone found a SIMPLER way to access hotspot on the Sprint Note 9 that has LESS STEPS? lol....im still on Oreo 8.1 and after adding the DUN in the APN settings its as simple as pressing the native hotspot button on my device........perhaps another OPENiT program or workaround?? Apparently my local towers are converting to Tmobile and i need to upgrade to android 10 for the VoLTE access to use those towers :/ I really DO NOT want to have to toggle data on/off everytime PLEASE can someone far smarter than me figure this out! #house full of kids and no wifi..its all about sprint~!

kurt424

Nov 5, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
It looks to me that the merge with T-Mobile has officially killed the hotspot mod. I can still create the APN but as soon as I toggle the data back on, the hotspot toggle turns off. Back to the drawing board or just add the hotspot to your plan. I'm on an older, cheaper plan so I don't get the mobile hotspot included. Please let us know if anyone figures it out again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

*** So far this is not working on Pie. It seems as though Sprint has found a way to keep the app from loading, but it is still on the device. I am working on a solution, but at this time, if you have not done the mod yet, do not update to Pie. If you have already done the mod and then update to Pie, hotspot will still work, but as of now there is no way into the lte settings apk. Again, I am working on a fix. Stay tuned.

As many of you already know, vndnguen is no longer offering the free version of his app, Shortcut Master Lite. I already purchased the full version to give my support and if you use the app, I suggest you do the same.

One very frequent use of Shortcut Master (Lite) was to access the LTE APN settings to unlock Unlimited Hotspot, or enter/remove proxy settings to avoid throttling or block ads. $5.49 seems a bit steep for simply unlocking a feature already built into the phone, so I have written my own app. This app is in no way based off of Shortcut Master, but some of the functionality of that app was the inspiration for this one. Shortcut Master does so much more than what this app does and is well worth the price so please support vndnguen.

I call it OpenIT. It is a simple app (less than 150 lines of java) that allows users to directly access the LTE APN settings at the push of a button. It also can pull up the dial pad to enter carrier reset codes or data codes. It was built using Android Studio and it is my first "real" application. It is kind of ugly. There isn't much functionality aside from what has been mentioned, and it may well become obsolete quickly if Sprint patches this ability.

Its purpose is to negate the need for an app like Shortcut Master and allow users who know what they are doing and even those who need help to figure out how to unlock some extra features of their phone.

How to Use this App:

It consists of 4 main buttons.

OPEN PHONE opens the dial pad. This is just to prevent users from having to go home and then open the dial pad. I haven't been able to get it to dial the ##27263# for a carrier brand reset, but if someone knows how, PM me! $5 bounty sound good?

DONATE NOW allows users to "donate" to me via PayPal. I am actually running it as a purchase so PayPal can take their cut and I don't get in trouble for being a fake nonprofit. This feature will be replaced by a Google Play in-app purchase if I release the app to the Play Store. For now, the button opens a link to my blog where I have embedded PayPal's checkout feature, but if someone knows how to make that more direct so you aren't bouncing around a 3rd party site (even though it is my own and uses https), please PM me.

OPEN LTE SETTINGS opens the hidden LTE Menu via com.test.LTEfunctionality.LTEFunctionalityTest and is where many changes can be made.

OPEN INSTRUCTION VIDEO opens a YouTube video where I describe the Shortcut Master Lite way of getting Hotspot working. This will be replaced by an app-specific video in a near future release.

Once you have done what you need to do, you can uninstall the app. You may reinstall it if you ever update your profile or PRL and/or your hotspot stops working.

Screenshots:

Main Screen: Donate Screen:
    AnshUHF.jpg
    gyKpGYM.jpg

LTE Settings Screen:
    UbQxAHF.jpg

Bugs:
    None known yet, but probably a lot. It has only been tested via the Android emulator and on my Note 9 so if you have another device, I cannot guarantee if it will work at all or if it will scale properly. As I said it is my first "real" android app, so report report REPORT! That said, it should work on most Sprint phones and will not make any changes other than those you make outside the app, so it should be safe for use.

I will update this section with any known bugs.

Permissions:
    NONE
    There shouldn't be any. If it asks for any permissions aside from Google Play warning about loading a non-Play Store App, please let me know.

Payment:

This app is 100% free and 100% ad free. It will only be supported by donations. I may, in the future, make a paid version with added functionality or add functionality via in-app purchases, but only if it is something I think is worth actual money. I won't put built-in features of your phone behind a paywall. That would make me just as greedy as Sprint. Any donations are hugely appreciated and will be put directly towards coffee/beer to fuel future development.

You can also donate via PayPal right from the XDA site. Look just below my avatar and click the "Donate to Me" button. Pay whatever it is worth to you.

If you cannot afford a donation or don't want to donate, a thanks on this post is always appreciated!

Disclaimer:

Yes, we live in the age where this is required due to people's own ignorance. What you do to your phone (or Sprint/Samsung's if you lease) is 100% your own responsibility. I will work with you if you need support, but you will receive no compensation for any damages done to your phone, relationships, family, global thermonuclear war, etc., etc.

Download:

Yes, I made you read all the way to the bottom to get the download. Sorry. It is important that you know what you are doing with this app. The download is attached to this post for free and a Pro version with a bit better UI and faster updates is available in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nickelghandi.openit

Change Log:

Version 1.0 - Initial release
    Version 1.0.1 Changed help video to one more suited to this specific app
    Is there a way to get this working on Pie?

The shortcut it uses doesn't seem to do anything in Pie. I got it working by doing doing the following:

Dial ##3282#
    Select Edit
    Sprint MSL is 000000
    Go to APN Settings
    Edit your APNs as normal.

Sent from my Galaxy S8+ using XDA Labs
    ##27263#/##77746#/##777468# ('brand' number for Sprint?) do nothing for me on a Pixel 2 with Android 9.0 build PPR1.180610.011. Are there any alternative codes to activate the LTE program?

That is because you have a Pixel 2 and not a Samsung device. Sprint doesn't sell the Pixel and so does not have the carrier customization that Samsung or other models would have. You likely don't have Sprint visual voicemail or other apps specific to Sprint either.

Your settings are likely governed by your basic APN settings, or somewhere else on the phone. I thought pretty much all Google phones had the hotspot enabled by default?
    Your settings are likely governed by your basic APN settings, or somewhere else on the phone. I thought pretty much all Google phones had the hotspot enabled by default?
    Oh, sorry, didn't notice the forum, I was clicking any random search hit that seemed like it would help! :)

And unfortunately Android 8.1 completely borked native hotspot for the Pixel 2/XL - odd, because I had a Pixel 1 acting as my home's hotspot, and it lost no hotspot functionality after 8.1.
    How can I do it on Verizon?