• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. To discuss, report bugs and other issues, use this thread.

[APP][OVERLAY][N][ROOT] Enable Ambient Display on Xperia

Rizal Lovins

Recognized Developer / Recognized Themer / Recogni
May 30, 2012
Bandung
developer-rizal-lovins.blogspot.com
Like title say, this app enable Ambient Display on Settings>Display

This app save your time just to edit framework to enable Ambient Display :highfive:

Requirements :
STOCK BASED ROM
ROOTED
May required Superusermod (Patched service.jar)

How to install?
just flash with recovery
or manually extract apk and move to system/vendor/overlay and set permission to 0644

Screenshot

Tested :
Xperia Z5 Android 7.1.1
Xperia XZ Android 7.1.1

Working :
When incoming notification arrive
Working when notification arrive and you pick up device but slower

May Not Work :
When you pick up device

Changelog :
Code:
V1 Initial release 
(Only working when incoming notification arrive)

V2 Force configuration value to wakeup device by motion (pick up device)

V3 Revertback some configuration
NOTE :
By turning on Ambient Display it will reduce battery life

Please test on your Xperia device! so i can edit this thread and title for more specific info

Thanks to Google Source AOSP Documentation

Attachments

Last edited:

Rizal Lovins

May 30, 2012
Bandung
On my XA Ultra (Stock 7.0), toggle showed up but feature doesn't seem to work.
On incoming notification work for you?

It works with Xperia™ XZ 7.1.1
But it works with only incoming message. It didn't work with taking phone on your hand.
Thanks for your feedback, same with Z5 currently work when incoming notification, other doze configuration on android N has the same with google source, sony just remove the strings, i may need to look again sony configuration on Xperia X Latest Concept that include Ambient Display.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z5 using XDA Labs

Reactions: Mazellat

Mazellat

Mar 25, 2012
Konya

Thanks for your feedback, same with Z5 currently work when incoming notification, other doze configuration on android N has the same with google source, sony just remove the strings, i may need to look again sony configuration on Xperia X Latest Concept that include Ambient Display.

Thank bro I know you. You have made a lot of mod for old Sony :)

Rizal Lovins

May 30, 2012
Bandung
Thank bro I know you. You have made a lot of mod for old Sony :)
There is no different configuration between XZ/Z5 and Xperia X Latest Concept, like i said before sony just remove strings. :(

I saw ambient display on other device that include ambient display maybe there is another sensor to wakeup screen when pick up device, not sure on Xperia X Latest Consept.

Mazellat

Mar 25, 2012
Konya
There is no different configuration between XZ/Z5 and Xperia X Latest Concept, like i said before sony just remove strings. :(

I saw ambient display on other device that include ambient display maybe there is another sensor to wakeup screen when pick up device, not sure on Xperia X Latest Consept.
No problem bro you did everything whic is possible. I used this feature with my Xperia™ Z2 with eXzistenZ custom ROM fully compatible.

Reactions: Rizal Lovins

Rizal Lovins

May 30, 2012
Bandung

Mazellat

Mar 25, 2012
Konya
And bro can you check this overlay mod for music to walkman?
I tried but it didn't work for me. Please can you try?

Music to Walkman Overlay

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Working when pick up device?

I saw more info about this on xposed module thread https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=58885900&postcount=28

Yes it works with pick up device. You know the eXzistenZ from @niaboc79.
Is there any Xposed driver for Nougat too?

Rizal Lovins

May 30, 2012
Bandung

Music to Walkman Overlay
Do you patch service.jar? Or SElinux permissive? Maybe you can check in logcat why is rejected, Tested today is working and checked that overlay resource.
I'm currently using latest stable Music.

Good to know, maybe niaboc79 know something that need to modify. Since i use xiaomi on 2016 i never follow Xposed until now, never made a module again.

Last edited:

BlueTR

May 14, 2013
Bursa

Unfortunately, no. But I noticed something. I was charging my phone and my friend texted me via WhatsApp. I tried opening screen and it didn't open but led stopped blinking and turned into red as if the screen was open. I pressed power button again and led started blinking but nothing happened again. I pressed power button again and screen turned on normally. I think ambient display service works but something doesn't let it access to screen.

Sent from my Xperia XA Ultra using Tapatalk

whalesplaho

Feb 1, 2012
Treasure Island

Music to Walkman Overlay

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

I have an overlay i do use for music to walkman... Downloaded from tha forum long time ago, i just remodded it to work again.... Cant remembered tha dev!

Attachments

Rizal Lovins

May 30, 2012
Bandung
Unfortunately, no. But I noticed something. I was charging my phone and my friend texted me via WhatsApp. I tried opening screen and it didn't open but led stopped blinking and turned into red as if the screen was open. I pressed power button again and led started blinking but nothing happened again. I pressed power button again and screen turned on normally. I think ambient display service works but something doesn't let it access to screen.

Try V2

Thread updated with fully working Ambient Display.

BlueTR

May 14, 2013
Bursa
Try V2

Thread updated with fully working Ambient Display.
Still not working. It became worse actually, I can't wake my phone unless I long press power button. When a notification arrives, screen lights up a bit but it doesn't show anything.
If I disable ambient display, everything becomes normal.
Edit: After playing with it more I noticed that pick-up feature works. Every time I pick my phone, screen lights up a little but it doesn't show anything. Just pitch black.

Last edited:

Rizal Lovins

May 30, 2012
Bandung
Bro I tried v2 with XZ Android 7.1.1 but it doesn't work when pick up device even slowly...
I use alternatively enable doze wakeup by motion, when device is picked up (or you shake a little bit) it will show

Still not working. It became worse actually, I can't wake my phone unless I long press power button. When a notification arrives, screen lights up a bit but it doesn't show anything.
If I disable ambient display, everything becomes normal.
Edit: After playing with it more I noticed that pick-up feature works. Every time I pick my phone, screen lights up a little but it doesn't show anything. Just pitch black.

try to whatsapp your phone using another phone, and yeah its black background but clock and notification will show

basikerton

Jun 15, 2013
Thank you very much, works perfect on Xperia Z5P E6853 Nougat 7.1.1

Edit, With version one worked very well, in version two I continue without problems and it shows the ambient screen when receiving notification and when lifting the phone

Sent from my E6853 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Last edited:

Pandemic

Aug 30, 2010
Meppel
talk.sonymobile.com
V2 need also an edited SystemUI.apk (the one you use and in res/values/bools.xml so far i can remember) to enable doze by pick/messages etc, i had the same on my Z5 and worked and black screen is normal.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn F8331 met Tapatalk

BlueTR

May 14, 2013
Bursa
V2 need also an edited SystemUI.apk (the one you use and in res/values/bools.xml so far i can remember) to enable doze by pick/messages etc, i had the same on my Z5 and worked and black screen is normal.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn F8331 met Tapatalk
Apktool keeps giving errors.

Code:
C:\Users\Burak\Desktop\test>apktool b systemui
I: Using Apktool 2.2.3
W: Could not find sources
I: Checking whether resources has changed...
I: Building resources...
W: C:\Users\Burak\Desktop\test\systemui\res\values\styles.xml:2070: error: Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name '@android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar'.
W:
W: C:\Users\Burak\Desktop\test\systemui\res\values\styles.xml:2071: error: Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name '@android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar'.
W:
W: C:\Users\Burak\Desktop\test\systemui\res\values\styles.xml:2076: error: Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name '@android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar'.
W:
W: C:\Users\Burak\Desktop\test\systemui\res\values\styles.xml:2086: error: Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name '@android:style/TextAppearance.StatusBar'.
W:
Exception in thread "main" brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec (exit code = 1): [C:\Users\Burak\AppData\Local\Temp\brut_util_Jar_6018474962431108517.tmp, p, --forced-package-id, 127, --min-sdk-version, 24, --target-sdk-version, 24, --version-code, 24, --version-name, 7.0, --no-version-vectors, -F, C:\Users\Burak\AppData\Local\Temp\APKTOOL5055316294013420800.tmp, -0, arsc, -0, arsc, -I, C:\Users\Burak\AppData\Local\apktool\framework\1.apk, -S, C:\Users\Burak\Desktop\test\systemui\res, -M, C:\Users\Burak\Desktop\test\systemui\AndroidManifest.xml]
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResourcesFull(Androlib.java:493)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResources(Androlib.java:427)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:326)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.build(Androlib.java:264)
        at brut.apktool.Main.cmdBuild(Main.java:231)
        at brut.apktool.Main.main(Main.java:84)
Caused by: brut.androlib.AndrolibException: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec (exit code = 1): [C:\Users\Burak\AppData\Local\Temp\brut_util_Jar_6018474962431108517.tmp, p, --forced-package-id, 127, --min-sdk-version, 24, --target-sdk-version, 24, --version-code, 24, --version-name, 7.0, --no-version-vectors, -F, C:\Users\Burak\AppData\Local\Temp\APKTOOL5055316294013420800.tmp, -0, arsc, -0, arsc, -I, C:\Users\Burak\AppData\Local\apktool\framework\1.apk, -S, C:\Users\Burak\Desktop\test\systemui\res, -M, C:\Users\Burak\Desktop\test\systemui\AndroidManifest.xml]
        at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.aaptPackage(AndrolibResources.java:441)
        at brut.androlib.Androlib.buildResourcesFull(Androlib.java:479)
        ... 5 more
Caused by: brut.common.BrutException: could not exec (exit code = 1): [C:\Users\Burak\AppData\Local\Temp\brut_util_Jar_6018474962431108517.tmp, p, --forced-package-id, 127, --min-sdk-version, 24, --target-sdk-version, 24, --version-code, 24, --version-name, 7.0, --no-version-vectors, -F, C:\Users\Burak\AppData\Local\Temp\APKTOOL5055316294013420800.tmp, -0, arsc, -0, arsc, -I, C:\Users\Burak\AppData\Local\apktool\framework\1.apk, -S, C:\Users\Burak\Desktop\test\systemui\res, -M, C:\Users\Burak\Desktop\test\systemui\AndroidManifest.xml]
        at brut.util.OS.exec(OS.java:95)
        at brut.androlib.res.AndrolibResources.aaptPackage(AndrolibResources.java:435)
        ... 6 more

Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone