[APP] Pixel Pulse for ambient display

Search This thread

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
Introducing Pixel Pulse - a simple app to make your Ambient Display pulse when you have notifications!

Choose the interval and select the apps you want you to cause your screen to wake.

Optional paid features let you select different icons and colors for specific apps but the interval and app filter core functionality is all free.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.compass.pixelpulse

If you had previously purchased Ambi-Turner, it has been updated for the new permissions, but because it was written for 8.0 and when Google's ambient display worked differently I decided to leave it as it is. You may however transfer your purchase status of Ambient Display to Pixel Pulse using both apps.

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6 Pro
FIRST!

So, I've installed and tested and here are my initial findings:

• It works great and looks gorgeous!
  • If you have your notifications set to display the notification contents, those contents will also flash on the screen.
  • The default display interval of 60 seconds works perfectly, but when I set it to 30 seconds, it flashed approximately every 10 seconds for some reason.
  • The notification it chooses to flash doesn't appear to be based on the most recent received or highest priority. Can you explain how the app knows which notification to flash on the display?
  • So far, there is no way to interact with the notification. Swiping away or double tapping do nothing.
  • The only way to wake the phone is to press the power button or fingerprint scanner.

This is a great start and I hope you please keep up the great work! I will be donating to the cause!

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
FIRST!

So, I've installed and tested and here are my initial findings:

It works great and looks gorgeous!
If you have your notifications set to display the notification contents, those contents will also flash on the screen.
The default display interval of 60 seconds works perfectly, but when I set it to 30 seconds, it flashed approximately every 10 seconds for some reason.
The notification it chooses to flash doesn't appear to be based on the most recent received or highest priority. Can you explain how the app knows which notification to flash on the display?
So far, there is no way to interact with the notification. Swiping away or double tapping do nothing.
The only way to wake the phone is to press the power button or fingerprint scanner.

This is a great start and I hope you please keep up the great work! I will be donating to the cause!

The times were accurate on my pixel 2, but my pixel 3 which only just arrived, was being stopped. Probably due the aggressive process killing I've read about. So this morning I quickly added a secondary wake to keep it from being killed. I'll sync the times when I get home from work.

It uses the natural order of notifications. A priority option would be a good idea.

No interaction yet, but that's planned. So is a blackout period (don't pulse when you're sleeping for example).

Reactions: PuffDaddy_d

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Ignore my comment about the notification priority - that was user error.

Feature request: Can you add an option to have the ambient display stay on (no pulsing) until the user bypasses the ambient display screen? The flashing of the ambient display is a little distracting when the phone is on a desk. This way, we could still tell at a glance when we have a notification waiting, but the screen will go back to all black once we act on it or simply unlock the phone.

BLuFeNiX

Jan 18, 2013
Introducing Pixel Pulse - a simple app to make your Ambient Display pulse when you have notifications!

Choose the interval and select the apps you want you to cause your screen to wake.

Optional paid features let you select different icons and colors for specific apps but the interval and app filter core functionality is all free.

If you had previously purchased Ambi-Turner, it has been updated for the new permissions, but because it was written for 8.0 and when Google's ambient display worked differently I decided to leave it as it is. You may however transfer your purchase status of Ambient Display to Pixel Pulse using both apps.

I have been working on a similar app, and could not find a way to get this to work while still allowing the device to doze, so the battery life is heavily impacted. Did you solve the battery drain issue?

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
I have been working on a similar app, and could not find a way to get this to work while still allowing the device to doze, so the battery life is heavily impacted. Did you solve the battery drain issue?
I haven't noticed a battery drain issue, but I'm hoping xda can help find one if it exists. I'm not actually turning on the screen so doze should remain active.

BLuFeNiX

Jan 18, 2013
I haven't noticed a battery drain issue, but I'm hoping xda can help find one if it exists. I'm not actually turning on the screen so doze should remain active.

Ah, I see. I have not actually run your app. I did not realize that your were pulsing the notifications themselves -- that's clever! For my own implementation, I am animating a fake LED that fades in and out, which obviously requires the screen to be on. The AOD has a way to doze with the screen on, but I have not found a way to expose that functionality to an app without root.

Anyhow, I see you are using setExactAndAllowWhileIdle to schedule your pulses. I wonder what the battery (and timing) impact is compared to setAndAllowWhileIdle?

Nice work on this!

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
I originally went down the road of doing a custom screen to mimic the LED until I came up with this idea.

From other threads I've seen some people will prefer that even if it uses slightly more battery.

PuffDaddy_d

Aug 29, 2010
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Ah, I see. I have not actually run your app. I did not realize that your were pulsing the notifications themselves -- that's clever! For my own implementation, I am animating a fake LED that fades in and out, which obviously requires the screen to be on. The AOD has a way to doze with the screen on, but I have not found a way to expose that functionality to an app without root.

Anyhow, I see you are using setExactAndAllowWhileIdle to schedule your pulses. I wonder what the battery (and timing) impact is compared to setAndAllowWhileIdle?

Nice work on this!
I'm willing to be a tester for you if you need one. Pixel 3, rooted with magisk.

Reactions: BLuFeNiX

grokus

Jun 1, 2015
I may be able to use the real icons and colors. If so should I just remove the icon customization or would people still find that useful?

Chronzy

Jun 28, 2010
Austin, TX
Been looking for a way to customize the notifications since there's no LED light on this phone. I installed and bought you a coffee, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your efforts.

KUSOsan

Jul 21, 2013
Man this sounds like an awesome app however I'm on an LG V30 (which also doesn't have an LED but this doesn't seem to work. The notification interaction feature alone would be worth the donation.

I'll mess around some more and see if I can get anything

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I think this is what people want. A small circle that pulses a color, just like the old led dot. Right now, it's a cool program, but it is over engineered for what a lot of people are going to be looking for. A simple circle that pulses the color that corrasponds with the app would be perfect. The only customizations I would request is custom colors for custom app and circle/dot size. I would pay for that.
    That's an entirely different thing than this app. Pixel Pulse uses your devices ambient display and doesn't turn on your screen or wake your device from doze.

Drawing custom things would require an overlay on the screen that keeps your device awake. This is bad for battery life.
    hello,

nice app. Is there any way, think this has been asked before, to remove the pixel pulse icon from the screen please or r u working on it ? sorry for the impatience :) Happy to buy the app

Many thanks
    You can hide that yourself by going into the applications notification settings from Android settings menus. Find the pixel pulse running notification channel and hide it.
    There's now an option to be able to swipe to dismiss and double tap to open the app. I'm working on notification actions next.
    There is a possibility that the AOD stays on until the message has been read