[APP][R][XPOSED] GravityBox v11.0.5 for Android 11 [08/08/2021]

Search This thread

C3C076

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
GravityBox - all-in-one tweak box - Xposed module for devices running Android 11
Version 11.0.5 [R]

Version for JellyBean is available in this thread:
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2316070
Version for KitKat is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2554049
Version for Lollipop is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3037566
Version for Marshmallow is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3251148
Version for Nougat is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3653953
Version for Oreo is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3739929
Version for Pie is available in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3908768
Version for Q is available in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3974497

READ THIS POST CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING ANY FURTHER

Introduction
The app utilizes Riru-EdXposed Magisk module which uses original Xposed Framework API created by rovo89.

!!!!!! WARNING !!!!!!
This module utilizes EdXposed Framework which is still in early development stage and may contain bugs or might not be fully compatible with the system of your Android device. I take no responsibility for any issues arising from using GravityBox with EdXposed and strongly recommend creating a full backup of your device before activating the module.

Requirements
- Magisk v21 or later
- Riru v23 or later (Magisk module)
- EdXposed Manager (Application)
- Avoid using Resource hooking support if possible (Can be disabled in EdXposed Manager settings)

Installation
This procedure assumes you have working Magisk installation.
1) Install Riru module in Magisk Manager
2) Install and run EdXposed Manager app and download Riru-EdXposed module v5.1.3.x or later (currently Alpha/Canary)
3) Install downloaded Riru-EdXposed module in Magisk Manager
5) Reboot and open EdXposed Manager app to check if EdXposed works and is active
6) Install GravityBox and enable it in EdXposed Manager
7) Reboot and profit

Required whitelisted packages
In case you use blacklist/whitelist functionality of EdXposed make sure all the following packages are whitelisted (not blacklisted respectively) for full GravityBox experience.
- Android System (android)
- System UI (com.android.systemui)
- Call Management (com.android.server.telecom)
- Download Manager (com.android.providers.downloads)
- Phone (com.android.dialer or com.google.android.dialer)
- Phone Services (com.android.phone)
- Phone (com.android.incallui) (OxygenOS only)
- Keyboard app (e.g. Gboard) in order to be able to use "Volume key cursor control" feature
It is strongly recommended to use Whitelist functionality for better performance as EdXposed hooks only smaller amount of processes.
In case of running multiple Xposed modules consult their whitelist requirements with the devs of module.

Feature highlight
--- Lockscreen tweaks
--- QuickSettings tile management with additional tiles
--- Statusbar tweaks
--- Navigation bar tweaks
--- Pie controls
--- Power tweaks
--- Display tweaks
--- Phone tweaks
--- Media tweaks
--- Hardware/navigation key actions
--- GravityBox Actions - interface for 3rd party apps
--- Notification control (per-app notification LED/sounds/vibrations)
--- Fingerprint launcher
--- Advanced tuning of Framework and System UI parameters
... and many more

Compatibility
GB's main concept is to make most of the preference changes to be done on the fly without need to reboot a device to achieve custom-ROM like experience.
This means it is not possible to "completely deactivate" particular feature if it causes trouble on your device or if you installed GB because you want to use only one particular feature you can't find elsewhere.
This results in issues on ROMs/devices that have parts that are diverting from default Android implementation too much, or are running heavily modified custom ROMs.
If you experience weird issues after installing GB, even if you didn't activate a particular feature, it is not because of GB is broken, it is because it is not compatible with your ROM.
It is very similar to a situation when you installed ROM built from source for Nexus to some Xperia device - it won't work.

GB is a complex module and is not suitable for 1 purpose scenario. This means, if you are running custom ROM built from source, and you are missing a certain feature, your best option is to go ask creators of those ROMs to implement those additional features. Supplementing missing features on well-known custom ROMs built from source by installing xposed modules (especially complex ones) is definitely not a good way to go and can cause more trouble than good.
GB being a complex module, it shouldn't be combined with other complex modules often racing for the same goal. They can conflict/fight on the same playground and there's no way you can deterministically say which one's going to win. They can even lose both.

So in summary:
- this module is designed to run on vanilla or close-to-vanilla Android 11 (AOSP)
- officially supports devices/systems it was developed and tested on
- Samsung, HTC, MIUI, Xperia, Lenovo, etc. are NOT supported. It is not guaranteed this module will work on these at all so try at your own risk. This module is simply too complex to support all kind of ROM brands that were vastly modified by vendors.
- DO NOT USE WITH CUSTOM ROMS MODULE WAS NOT EXPLICITLY DESIGNED FOR
- I will not implement any exceptions that will adapt this module to a specific custom ROM. Please, do understand, it is unmanageable.
- I will not provide any support for devices violating these compatibility rules

GravityBox [R] has been designed for and tested on
- Pixel 3a running Google OS
- OnePlus 7Pro running Oxygen OS 11

Reporting bugs
If possible, please use Github issue reporting interface for reporting bugs.
If you experience problems with certain feature, provide the full-detailed info that can help me
to reproduce the bug and attach logs that can be exported from EdXposed Manager app.
Real-time logging can be performed by using ADB: adb logcat -s EdXposed-Bridge

In case you experience SystemUI crashes or other apps Force Closing, or device soft reboots, attach logcat from time
crash occurs. (use adb logcat *:E or your favorite logcat app from Play Store).
Please, don't attach big logs. Only the portion where error is clearly seen.
Disable all other xposed modules before reproducing bug to make sure it is really GravityBox related
Remember, this app was developed and tested on one particular device so it is not guaranteed that it will work flawlessly on yours.

Multilanguage support
Volunteers are welcome to translate GravityBox to other languages.
Preferred way is to use GitHub interface to fork your own copy of GravityBox, make changes and then send pull request against original repository.
Anoter way is to simply download this file: https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/raw/r/GravityBox/src/main/res/values/strings.xml
Use Notepad++ to edit strings and then send me edited file so I can include translations into next release.

Source code
GravityBox is opensource. Sources are available in my gihub: https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/tree/r
If you're a dev and have some ideas for additional features, feel free to fork it, work on it and send the pull requests.

Copyright notice
https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/blob/r/NOTICE

Support development
Coding, maintaining and supporting this project costs me a lot of my precious time. If you find this project useful, you are more than welcome to support its development via donation. This form of support is meant to compensate for my time dedicated to the community + eventually, help me to afford newer device to keep up with AOSP evolution thus providing continuous support as Android evolves. Thanks!

Info about premium features and PayPal transaction ID verification system
1) Those who supported development via PayPal donation can use their PayPal transaction ID to unlock premium features.
As of v2.9.5, there are three premium features:
- Backup/restore of GB settings.
- Ultimate notification control
- Advanced Tuning

2) If you contributed to the project by providing translations, code fragments, or by any other way
you can apply for a free transaction ID by contacting me via PM.

3) Be aware that there's a system that can identify potential transaction ID
abuse. E.g. when one ID is being used by more users. Such IDs will get blocked automatically.
In case you own more devices, you can use one transaction ID on up to 10 of them.

4) If you are using your own custom builds of GB for personal use, you will get hash mismatch
upon verifying your ID as verification system accepts requests only from official releases of GB.
If you want to be able to verify IDs with your custom build, contact me via PM so I can setup
a special hash for your build.
If you are using a custom build that you provide for broader group of users (e.g. in a custom ROM),
it is necessary to ask for new hash everytime your new custom version is released for public use.
These rules are based on mutual trust so please, do not violate them.

Credits
- RikkaW for creating and maintainng Riru Magisk module
- solohsu & MlgmXyysd for creating and maintaining EdExposed Magisk module
- @frank93 for donating Pixel 3a for development
- @bgcngm for his code contributions to the project
- @MohammadAG for Xperia specific contributions to the project
- @rovo89 for his ultimate Xposed framework and "Volume keys to skip track" mod
- @peptonib for starting me up with this project
- @simmac for app icon
- @romracer for Motorola specific code contributions
- @firefds for Samsung specific code contributions
- CyanogenMod project
- ParanoidAndroid project
- Slim, RootBox, AOKP, OmniROM projects
- Sergey Margaritov for ColorPickerPreference
- ArthurHub for Image cropping library
- All those who provided translations for different languages (Mr.Premise, peptonib, kidmar, ch-vox, romashko, Indiant, lelemm, oicirbaf, unavix, LuHash, WedyDQ10, mp3comanche, awaaas, liveasx, samsonbear, Eric850130, xtrem007, benjoe1, asmb111, Fatih Firinci, ...)
- and finally, all those who keep the project alive by supporting me via donations (you know who you are)

Changelog
https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/blob/r/CHANGELOG.txt

Last edited:

C3C076

Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
Changelog 11.0.5 - 08/08/2021
- Lockscreen: added option to blur media artwork on lockscreen (thanks to robbins)
- Navbar: allow cursor control keys in gestural navbar
- Dialer: adjusted for compatibility with the latest Google Dialer
- Properly identify OnePlus 8T as device running OxygenOS ROM (thanks to F-i-f)
--- should improve compatibility significantly

Developed and tested on:

Current issues
- Display: Expanded Desktop - immersive modes not working
- Key actions: Home double-tap not working
- Lockscreen: Changed custom carrier text won't appear immediately
- Custom Battery indicator: stock battery may appear for a while after the reboot
- ... + potentially others mainly device/system variation specific

Removed features
- GPS and SlimKat tiles - location modes (battery saving/high accuracy/device) no longer exist in Android 11
- Audio Recording tile - background recording of audio not possible in Android 11

Download

Settings
It is possible to restore settings that were backed up in GravityBox [Q]
Simply transfer "GravityBox" folder from internal storage of one device to internal storage of another device.

In case you use blacklist/whitelist functionality of EdXposed make sure all the following packages are whitelisted (not blacklisted respectively) for full GravityBox experience.
- Keyboard app (e.g. Gboard) in order to be able to use "Volume key cursor control" feature
It is strongly recommended to use Whitelist functionality for better performance as EdXposed hooks only smaller amount of processes.
In case of running multiple Xposed modules consult their whitelist requirements with the devs of module.

Credits
@frank93 for donating Pixel 3a for developemnt

Commit history
Commit history for transition from 11.0.4 to 11.0.5

Last edited:

sjamie

Aug 6, 2011
@C3C076
THIS is the first gift I've received of the new year. Thank you, sir!!! 🙌🏽

Last edited:

i5lee8bit

Jul 18, 2006
escaped New Jersey 🙏🙌
youtube.com
Got my Github notification this morning about the [R] pre-release! 🥳 Just now updated my Pixel 4 XL from 08-2020 (Android 10) to 09-2020 (Android 11) using my keep root / seamless update method with no problems. Everything working perfectly fine! All I had to do was first disable GravityBox [R] in EdXposed Manager, and disabled Kirisakura AK3 (kernel) module helper in Magisk Manager. Upgraded to Android 11 with no issues at all, and everything system and root-wise seems to work perfectly fine. My current running list of Magisk / Xposed modules: https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-edxposed-gpay-discussion.3992607/post-84193393
(I'm hoping @Ghisy finds this helpful, hehe) ;)

Though I'm gonna play it safe and OTA each month, instead of factory image (sans "-w" flag) jumping. Gonna work my way up to the current firmware, then test out GravityBox [R] - thanks so much @C3C076! The fact that so many people like me have held off on upgrading to the latest Android version just based on your work should speak volumes! I'll report back once I'm able to actually play around with GB[R] some. The baby's starting to wake... :O

edit: my son rolled over, coo'ed, and faceplanted back to sleep <3
- Also should note, I was on Kirisakura 5.2.6 kernel before. Now on 6.6.0, all is well!
- Also wanted to note, SafetyNet was passing (with my current configuration) on 09-2020 build with no further modifications necessary. I just finished updating up to 12-2020, and SafetyNet is still passing :). Activating GravityBox module now, and will further report back!

edit 2: Seems verrrry stable so far! The only thing I found that didn't work properly (or rather, worked 80% correctly) was for an option that I don't even normally use, and accidentally toggled, haha. Under QuickSettings management -> Tiles per header, each option works fine, but when selecting 8, it still only shows 7.

Other than that, at least as far as the options that I personally use, everything seems fine! I didn't get a chance to test out every function affected by my set of GB options in such a short time, of course, but I will certainly report if there are any issues. And of course I won't list every single option I ticked off, but attached is my backup file / preferences of my current config for anyone who may be curious. Again, keep in mind that compared to the vast functions GB offers in totality, I only use what I use so of course I can't account for the entirety of GB. But from what I've tested so far, it seems damn stable and this has made my transition to Android 11 pretty much seamless!

and @Ghisy, I'll send you some more details when I get a chance, certainly well before the weekend. Though if it's any consolation, in total the actual updating process only took me about an hour, if not less! Probably took me more time to actually download the files and prep, lol. XD

Attachments

• com.ceco.r.gravitybox_preferences.xml
    16.9 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4
Just now updated my Pixel 4 XL from 08-2020 (Android 10) to 09-2020 (Android 11) using my keep root / seamless update method with no problems.
[...]
My current running list of Magisk / Xposed modules: https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-edxposed-gpay-discussion.3992607/post-84193393
(I'm hoping @Ghisy finds this helpful, hehe)
[...]
Activating GravityBox module now, and will further report back!
Ha, thanks! 😉

I'd be interested in your seamless update process if you don't mind sharing! Although I might go the image (sans -w) route instead.

Not sure I'll update until the week-end, I don't have much time on weekdays.

Reactions: swieder711

i5lee8bit

Jul 18, 2006
escaped New Jersey 🙏🙌
youtube.com
Ha, thanks! 😉

I'd be interested in your seamless update process if you don't mind sharing! Although I might go the image (sans -w) route instead.

Not sure I'll update until the week-end, I don't have much time on weekdays.

see my edit above =)

But I also wanted to separately post a big finding of great news (at least for me)! - The volume key cursor control option now seems to persist through reboots, without needing to toggle the option again after reboots! Not sure, tbh, if this was fixed on [Q] already due to / as a side effect of the big Riru / EdXposed updates, but at least I can confirm that it definitely works on [R] now as intended. Woohoo!

Also @C3C076, donated an extra $10 USD via PP (20485146561217901). You're already very generous for enabling Family Library, and this should cover for installing the unlocker on my backup/secondary Android devices as well as my wife's phone. I also figured it would be better to donate via PP than disabling Family Library and purchasing again from Play Store, assuming higher fees from Google. ;)

Reactions: MBDdk and C3C076

C3C076

Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
see my edit above =)

But I also wanted to separately post a big finding of great news (at least for me)! - The volume key cursor control option now seems to persist through reboots, without needing to toggle the option again after reboots! Not sure, tbh, if this was fixed on [Q] already due to / as a side effect of the big Riru / EdXposed updates, but at least I can confirm that it definitely works on [R] now as intended. Woohoo!

Also @C3C076, donated an extra $10 USD via PP (20485146561217901). You're already very generous for enabling Family Library, and this should cover for installing the unlocker on my backup/secondary Android devices as well as my wife's phone. I also figured it would be better to donate via PP than disabling Family Library and purchasing again from Play Store, assuming higher fees from Google. ;)
Thanks. Your support is very much appreciated. Too kind. Interesting find about volume key cursor control. As you can see in the 2nd post I listed it there as currently not working :D . Looks like I'll have to take a look again. Do you use whitelist (App list mode enabled in EdXposed settings) ?

Reactions: 1jkan and i5lee8bit

frank93

Oct 16, 2010
Berlin
Google Pixel 7a
see my edit above =)
would you mind sharing your upgrade procedure from android 10 to 11 though? i’m not sure why, but my "usual" procedure (using the complete firmware, patching the boot.img, flashing everything including that boot-image afterwards) fails with all of the android 11 images. :/

(feel free to directmessage if you think it’s off topic here of course.)

C3C076

Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
would you mind sharing your upgrade procedure from android 10 to 11 though? i’m not sure why, but my "usual" procedure (using the complete firmware, patching the boot.img, flashing everything including that boot-image afterwards) fails with all of the android 11 images. :/

If I can share my experience. I applied standard system update procedure from settings being on Pie (had it on your pixel to bring update for GB for Pie). This went without uninstalling magisk etc. I simple went incrementally from Pie through Q up to R and then several security update. Only after I was in the latest update I grabbed boot.img from corresponding system image, patched it using magisk and then flashed using fastboot. All apps and settings were preserved from Pie.

frank93

Oct 16, 2010
Berlin
Google Pixel 7a
thanks. sounds about "right", your last step is basically what i’ve been doing as well previously (the "system update" never worked for me though, but i didn’t care too much). there must be something fishy going on with my device then. i’ll try again soon.

(in the end i wouldn’t even mind being without root for a few bootups inbetween, so .. i’ll flash the stock boot image and try booting android 11 then. if it works, i can try getting back root just as well afterwards i guess.)

C3C076

Dec 15, 2012
Bratislava
ceco.sk.eu.org
thanks. sounds about "right", your last step is basically what i’ve been doing as well previously (the "system update" never worked for me though, but i didn’t care too much). there must be something fishy going on with my device then. i’ll try again soon.

(in the end i wouldn’t even mind being without root for a few bootups inbetween, so .. i’ll flash the stock boot image and try booting android 11 then. if it works, i can try getting back root just as well afterwards i guess.)
Yeah, note that I never flashed full rom image. I went using standard system update from settings. In the end it was only patched boot.img I flashed.

frank93

Oct 16, 2010
Berlin
Google Pixel 7a
okay, apparently not even a "real" firmware update (using the original stock boot image) works for me. loops back to bootloader 2-3 seconds after the google-logo. so i guess there’s something else wrong with my device/system.

i’ve "updated" back to the latest/last android 10 for now (there the firmware upgrade/downgrade works!?), and i’ll scratch my head another time i think. :) thanks for your input though!

Ghisy

Mar 27, 2010
HTC Desire
Google Nexus 4
and @Ghisy, I'll send you some more details when I get a chance, certainly well before the weekend. Though if it's any consolation, in total the actual updating process only took me about an hour, if not less! Probably took me more time to actually download the files and prep, lol. XD
Thanks, I appreciate it! You took one for the team and shared interesting info too! *(air) high five*

i5lee8bit

Jul 18, 2006
escaped New Jersey 🙏🙌
youtube.com
Thanks. Your support is very much appreciated. Too kind. Interesting find about volume key cursor control. As you can see in the 2nd post I listed it there as currently not working :D . Looks like I'll have to take a look again. Do you use whitelist (App list mode enabled in EdXposed settings) ?

I use App List mode, but not White List mode, as I use the Pass SafetyNet option (so basically on Blacklist mode). Because I also have GPay working and all (I've linked to that thread before, it's the one I linked with my list of active modules). Hahaha, I didn't even realize you put in the 2nd post about it not working - weird! Definitely working for me though, using these current configurations.

Since I'm sure others may find it useful, I'll post it here. Also, @C3C076 may find it useful to follow this concept, assuming things are similar for Pixel 3a (I've been a long time HTC user, up til U12+ and only then switched to Pixel phones, 4 for wife and 4 XL for me to be exact).

My firmware update procedure is basically predicated on restoring the stock boot and dtbo (dtbo in case custom kernel flashed) images for your current build, which restores the stock firmware (and therefore recovery) and "unroots" / stock-ifies the phone without removing any of your Magisk or EdXposed configs, which allows you to simply boot into recovery and apply (sideload) OTA zip from stock recovery. Before booting back into system after OTA flash, reboot back into bootloader and flash the new build's Magisk-patched boot image, and when you boot up into system, voila, seamless, intuitive, and relatively safe update to new firmware version. Worst case scenario, if you bootloop you just flash the stock boot image (or even better, a modified Magisk Core Only boot image) and fix whatever is causing the problem.

Here is a link to my guide for September 2020 build, which was the first Android 11 build. There's a bunch of additional notes due to the major update at the time, though some of the info is a bit outdated. I assumed everyone at the time was on a very specific versions of firmware, Magisk, EdXposed, and even modules, etc. But if you read, especially the 2nd post, you can certainly understand how it all works and how we could apply the process from any firmware version. Here's the thread: https://xdaforums.com/t/update-keep...0-009-coral-magisk-stock-boot-images.4160787/
- I recommend giving the procedure a read, as you should be able to understand the intuition behind the process I use.

As we're already (assuming) on latest Magisk, Magisk Manager, EdXposed, Riru, etc. etc, we don't need to worry as much about compatibility of our installed modules before OTA'ing. So basically, I condensed down what needs to be disabled, in my case, to the old GravityBox module (obviously), and the old Kirisakura (my kernel on Q) kernel helper Magisk module. You would also want to disable any modules, Magisk and EdXposed, that may not be compatible with [R] yet.

So here was my update procedure, from here on, coming from August 2020 build already on Magisk 21.2 and up to date EdXposed / Riru / etc. modules - SPECIFICALLY FOR PIXEL 4 XL "CORAL"
(OPEN THE "SPOILER" TO VIEW!):

NOTE: The files I provide are specifically only for Pixel 4 XL!! You will need to obtain the correct files for your own device to follow this procedure, but the same idea should be able to be applied!

First, I downloaded the boot and dtbo file(s) for Aug. 2020 thru Dec. 2020 builds. Here's a link to my AFH uploads for these files: P4XL Boot / DTBO files
Then, I patched each month's boot image with Magisk 21.2, and put them to the side.
There's only stock dtbo.img for 08-2020 because dtbo will remain stock throughout the updating procedure, fyi.

Actually, hell, for Pixel 4 XL "Coral" users, to make your life extremely easy, I've uploaded all the files you'll need to follow this here!! - LINK HERE
And OTA files from Google servers: LINK#2 HERE

Disabled GravityBox [Q] module in EdXposed Manager / Uninstall GravityBox [Q]
(Don't bother installing GravityBox [R] yet)
Disabled Kirisakura AK3 Kernel Helper module in Magisk Manager
(you'll also want to disable any modules that potentially may not work with [R])
-- Reboot once to finalize disabling the modules --

(Don't boot back into system until this section is done, to ensure all root, settings, mods, etc. are retained - this is basically the 2nd post of the September guide I linked earlier)
- Reboot into Bootloader mode -
fastboot flash boot 08-boot.img
fastboot flash dtbo 08-dtbo.img

(these steps revert recovery to stock)

- Reboot into Recovery mode-
(when No Command / Android icon shows up, hold power button and tap volume up to get to recovery menu)
Choose option: Apply update from ADB
adb sideload (09-2020 OTA zip).zip
after OTA zip flash completes, REBOOT BACK TO BOOTLOADER
fastboot flash boot 09-patched.img
- NOW REBOOT INTO SYSTEM! -

When your phone boots back into Android (11), you will be rooted, with all mods and settings retained. And if you passed SafetyNet before with the right combination of mods and settings, it should still pass now. :) While you can, I wouldn't yet bother installing GravityBox [R] quite yet. Let's first continue to incrementally upgrade until we're at 12-2020 (or 01-2021 depending on when you're reading this). Basically, just make sure the Android System Update notification (sorry, I don't remember exactly the notification label, but you'll know when you see it) indicates the update completed before proceding.

Now we just repeat my OTA update procedure again, except no need to flash stock dtbo images, as we're not doing anything (like flashing custom kernel) in this short amount of time that modifies the dtbo partition.

Reboot into bootloader mode
fastboot flash boot 09-boot.img
Reboot into recovery mode
Apply update from ADB
adb sideload (10-2020 OTA zip).zip
Reboot to bootloader
fastboot flash boot 10-patched.img
Boot to system

Allow time for the system update notification to indicate update was completed.

fastboot flash boot 10-boot.img
Apply update from ADB
adb sideload (11-2020 OTA zip).zip
Reboot to bootloader
fastboot flash boot 11-patched.img
Boot to system

fastboot flash boot 11-boot.img
Apply update from ADB
adb sideload (12-2020 OTA zip).zip
Reboot to bootloader
fastboot flash boot 12-patched.img
Boot to system

EDIT: Google released January 2021 firmware update, literally minutes after (or maybe while??) I was posting this! Here is my January 2021 easy update guide for Pixel 4 XL: https://xdaforums.com/t/update-keep...5-003-coral-magisk-stock-boot-images.4213263/

Install GravityBox [R], activate module, reboot one more time, have fun!!
Also install custom kernel or whatever else you might need to do as well.

To be honest, I kinda rushed this post, so I'll re-read it later and make sure I didn't make any little mistakes. But hopefully if you read my guides threads and stuff (like, actually read it), the entire concept should be very clear and intuitive to you! Assuming other Pixel phones (at least AB Pixel devices) have similar partitioning schemes, this should be very useful knowledge to have, as it makes updating to new firmware versions incredibly easy and low risk. Good luck, I hope this huge post helps some people / makes a better day for someone! =)

EDIT: @frank93, seeing your linked post, I see you have a Pixel 4a. Unfortunately you obviously can't use the exact files I provided / linked, but you should still be able to follow the same procedure. Just grab the OTA's, plus the full factory images, pull the necessary boot and dtbo files from the factory images, and Magisk patch the boot images for each month, and name / organize all the files and put them aside on your computer. You should still be able to follow my procedure, but with your files. I hope it works for you with no problems if you decide to try it!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GravityBox - all-in-one tweak box - Xposed module for devices running Android 11
    Version 11.0.5 [R]

Version for JellyBean is available in this thread:
    https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2316070
    Version for KitKat is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2554049
    Version for Lollipop is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3037566
    Version for Marshmallow is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3251148
    Version for Nougat is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3653953
    Version for Oreo is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3739929
    Version for Pie is available in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3908768
    Version for Q is available in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3974497

READ THIS POST CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING ANY FURTHER

Introduction
    The app utilizes Riru-EdXposed Magisk module which uses original Xposed Framework API created by rovo89.

!!!!!! WARNING !!!!!!
    This module utilizes EdXposed Framework which is still in early development stage and may contain bugs or might not be fully compatible with the system of your Android device. I take no responsibility for any issues arising from using GravityBox with EdXposed and strongly recommend creating a full backup of your device before activating the module.

Requirements
    - Magisk v21 or later
    - Riru v23 or later (Magisk module)
    - EdXposed Manager (Application)
    - Avoid using Resource hooking support if possible (Can be disabled in EdXposed Manager settings)

Installation
    This procedure assumes you have working Magisk installation.
    1) Install Riru module in Magisk Manager
    2) Install and run EdXposed Manager app and download Riru-EdXposed module v5.1.3.x or later (currently Alpha/Canary)
    3) Install downloaded Riru-EdXposed module in Magisk Manager
    5) Reboot and open EdXposed Manager app to check if EdXposed works and is active
    6) Install GravityBox and enable it in EdXposed Manager
    7) Reboot and profit

Feature highlight
    --- Lockscreen tweaks
    --- QuickSettings tile management with additional tiles
    --- Statusbar tweaks
    --- Navigation bar tweaks
    --- Pie controls
    --- Power tweaks
    --- Display tweaks
    --- Phone tweaks
    --- Media tweaks
    --- Hardware/navigation key actions
    --- GravityBox Actions - interface for 3rd party apps
    --- Notification control (per-app notification LED/sounds/vibrations)
    --- Fingerprint launcher
    --- Advanced tuning of Framework and System UI parameters
    ... and many more

Compatibility
    GB's main concept is to make most of the preference changes to be done on the fly without need to reboot a device to achieve custom-ROM like experience.
    This means it is not possible to "completely deactivate" particular feature if it causes trouble on your device or if you installed GB because you want to use only one particular feature you can't find elsewhere.
    This results in issues on ROMs/devices that have parts that are diverting from default Android implementation too much, or are running heavily modified custom ROMs.
    If you experience weird issues after installing GB, even if you didn't activate a particular feature, it is not because of GB is broken, it is because it is not compatible with your ROM.
    It is very similar to a situation when you installed ROM built from source for Nexus to some Xperia device - it won't work.

GB is a complex module and is not suitable for 1 purpose scenario. This means, if you are running custom ROM built from source, and you are missing a certain feature, your best option is to go ask creators of those ROMs to implement those additional features. Supplementing missing features on well-known custom ROMs built from source by installing xposed modules (especially complex ones) is definitely not a good way to go and can cause more trouble than good.
    GB being a complex module, it shouldn't be combined with other complex modules often racing for the same goal. They can conflict/fight on the same playground and there's no way you can deterministically say which one's going to win. They can even lose both.

So in summary:
    - this module is designed to run on vanilla or close-to-vanilla Android 11 (AOSP)
    - officially supports devices/systems it was developed and tested on
    - Samsung, HTC, MIUI, Xperia, Lenovo, etc. are NOT supported. It is not guaranteed this module will work on these at all so try at your own risk. This module is simply too complex to support all kind of ROM brands that were vastly modified by vendors.
    - DO NOT USE WITH CUSTOM ROMS MODULE WAS NOT EXPLICITLY DESIGNED FOR
    - I will not implement any exceptions that will adapt this module to a specific custom ROM. Please, do understand, it is unmanageable.
    - I will not provide any support for devices violating these compatibility rules

GravityBox [R] has been designed for and tested on

Reporting bugs
    If possible, please use Github issue reporting interface for reporting bugs.
    If you experience problems with certain feature, provide the full-detailed info that can help me
    to reproduce the bug and attach logs that can be exported from EdXposed Manager app.
    Real-time logging can be performed by using ADB: adb logcat -s EdXposed-Bridge

In case you experience SystemUI crashes or other apps Force Closing, or device soft reboots, attach logcat from time
    crash occurs. (use adb logcat *:E or your favorite logcat app from Play Store).
    Please, don't attach big logs. Only the portion where error is clearly seen.
    Disable all other xposed modules before reproducing bug to make sure it is really GravityBox related
    Remember, this app was developed and tested on one particular device so it is not guaranteed that it will work flawlessly on yours.

Multilanguage support
    Volunteers are welcome to translate GravityBox to other languages.
    Preferred way is to use GitHub interface to fork your own copy of GravityBox, make changes and then send pull request against original repository.
    Anoter way is to simply download this file: https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/raw/r/GravityBox/src/main/res/values/strings.xml
    Use Notepad++ to edit strings and then send me edited file so I can include translations into next release.

Source code
    GravityBox is opensource. Sources are available in my gihub: https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/tree/r
    If you're a dev and have some ideas for additional features, feel free to fork it, work on it and send the pull requests.

Copyright notice
    https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/blob/r/NOTICE

Support development
    Coding, maintaining and supporting this project costs me a lot of my precious time. If you find this project useful, you are more than welcome to support its development via donation. This form of support is meant to compensate for my time dedicated to the community + eventually, help me to afford newer device to keep up with AOSP evolution thus providing continuous support as Android evolves. Thanks!

Info about premium features and PayPal transaction ID verification system
    1) Those who supported development via PayPal donation can use their PayPal transaction ID to unlock premium features.
    As of v2.9.5, there are three premium features:
    - Backup/restore of GB settings.
    - Ultimate notification control
    - Advanced Tuning

2) If you contributed to the project by providing translations, code fragments, or by any other way
    you can apply for a free transaction ID by contacting me via PM.

3) Be aware that there's a system that can identify potential transaction ID
    abuse. E.g. when one ID is being used by more users. Such IDs will get blocked automatically.
    In case you own more devices, you can use one transaction ID on up to 10 of them.

4) If you are using your own custom builds of GB for personal use, you will get hash mismatch
    upon verifying your ID as verification system accepts requests only from official releases of GB.
    If you want to be able to verify IDs with your custom build, contact me via PM so I can setup
    a special hash for your build.
    If you are using a custom build that you provide for broader group of users (e.g. in a custom ROM),
    it is necessary to ask for new hash everytime your new custom version is released for public use.
    These rules are based on mutual trust so please, do not violate them.

Credits
    - RikkaW for creating and maintainng Riru Magisk module
    - solohsu & MlgmXyysd for creating and maintaining EdExposed Magisk module
    - @frank93 for donating Pixel 3a for development
    - @bgcngm for his code contributions to the project
    - @MohammadAG for Xperia specific contributions to the project
    - @rovo89 for his ultimate Xposed framework and "Volume keys to skip track" mod
    - @peptonib for starting me up with this project
    - @simmac for app icon
    - @romracer for Motorola specific code contributions
    - @firefds for Samsung specific code contributions
    - CyanogenMod project
    - ParanoidAndroid project
    - Slim, RootBox, AOKP, OmniROM projects
    - Sergey Margaritov for ColorPickerPreference
    - ArthurHub for Image cropping library
    - All those who provided translations for different languages (Mr.Premise, peptonib, kidmar, ch-vox, romashko, Indiant, lelemm, oicirbaf, unavix, LuHash, WedyDQ10, mp3comanche, awaaas, liveasx, samsonbear, Eric850130, xtrem007, benjoe1, asmb111, Fatih Firinci, ...)
    - and finally, all those who keep the project alive by supporting me via donations (you know who you are)

Changelog
    https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/blob/r/CHANGELOG.txt
    - Lockscreen: added option to blur media artwork on lockscreen (thanks to robbins)

Developed and tested on:

Current issues
    - Display: Expanded Desktop - immersive modes not working
    - Key actions: Home double-tap not working
    - Lockscreen: Changed custom carrier text won't appear immediately
    - Custom Battery indicator: stock battery may appear for a while after the reboot
    - ... + potentially others mainly device/system variation specific

Removed features
    - GPS and SlimKat tiles - location modes (battery saving/high accuracy/device) no longer exist in Android 11
    - Audio Recording tile - background recording of audio not possible in Android 11

Download

Settings
    It is possible to restore settings that were backed up in GravityBox [Q]
    Simply transfer "GravityBox" folder from internal storage of one device to internal storage of another device.

Credits
    @frank93 for donating Pixel 3a for developemnt

Commit history
    This is a very crude version of GravityBox for A13.
    I just made the required changes so I can have circle battery icon with percentage. Other stuff probably work as well, but I'm not planning on fixing anything that doesn't.
    Feel free to fork the repo - https://github.com/Firefds/GravityBox/tree/tiramisu

Enjoy the stuff that work!
    Version 11.0.3 available

Changelog 11.0.3 - 06/06/2021
    - Improved compatibility with OxygenOS (OP7Pro, OOS 11.0.1.1)
    --- Clock: fixed positioning in Status Bar Header
    --- Battery Style: fixed layout in Status Bar Header
    --- Lockscreen: fixed application bar (Shortcuts)
    --- Lockscreen: fixed Direct Unlock and Smart Unlock
    --- Dialer: adjusted for compatibility (call recording, etc)
    ------ Requires whitelisting com.oneplus.dialer
    - StatusBar: improved brightness control
    - Fixed "Force LTR" feature (thanks to Y-T-G)
    - Updated Turkish translations (thanks to Fatih Firinci)

Download

Commit history
    Commit history for transition from 11.0.2 to 11.0.3
    Version 11.0.5 available

Download
    Also available in Xposed Repository and LSPosed Repository.

Commit history