[APP][R][XPOSED] GravityBox v11.0.5 for Android 11 [08/08/2021]

Search This thread

onurmemo77

Jul 28, 2015
Hi, I am using Samsung Galaxy M51 M515F android 12. Can I get a link to GravityBox for Android 12? Thank you.

m0han

... any information about whether the Galaxy m51 android 12 oneui core 4.1 works?
no. haven't used samsung devices. in any case, post #1 states such devices are not supported.
- this module is designed to run on vanilla or close-to-vanilla Android 11 (AOSP)
- officially supports devices/systems it was developed and tested on
- Samsung, HTC, MIUI, Xperia, Lenovo, etc. are NOT supported. It is not guaranteed this module will work on these at all so try at your own risk. This module is simply too complex to support all kind of ROM brands that were vastly modified by vendors.
- DO NOT USE WITH CUSTOM ROMS MODULE WAS NOT EXPLICITLY DESIGNED FOR
- I will not implement any exceptions that will adapt this module to a specific custom ROM. Please, do understand, it is unmanageable.
- I will not provide any support for devices violating these compatibility rules

onurmemo77

Jul 28, 2015
no. haven't used samsung devices. in any case, post #1 states such devices are not supported.
- this module is designed to run on vanilla or close-to-vanilla Android 11 (AOSP)
- Samsung, HTC, MIUI, Xperia, Lenovo, etc. are NOT supported. It is not guaranteed this module will work on these at all so try at your own risk. This module is simply too complex to support all kind of ROM brands that were vastly modified by vendors.
- I will not implement any exceptions that will adapt this module to a specific custom ROM. Please, do understand, it is unmanageable.
- I will not provide any support for devices violating these compatibility rules
Myfriend, I am using Galaxy m51 android 12 one ui core 4.1 stock firmware. I will definitely try this app. The responsibility belongs to me. Because if someone doesn't test it, you'll have to spend a lot of time developing the app.
Thank you very much for such a nice application. Thank you very much for your efforts. Good day.

trevtdogg

Mar 10, 2022
Moto G 2014
Moto G5 Plus
Myfriend, I am using Galaxy m51 android 12 one ui core 4.1 stock firmware. I will definitely try this app. The responsibility belongs to me. Because if someone doesn't test it, you'll have to spend a lot of time developing the app.
Thank you very much for such a nice application. Thank you very much for your efforts. Good day.
probably better to reply in @ko_hi's a12 gravity box thread (linked in posts above), but yes i'm sure they would appreciate you testing it and letting them know what works and doesn't work for your specific device model.

asaf400

Apr 15, 2010
Hello everyone,
if you are looking for and or waiting for an Android 12 Release,
I have good news, I managed to compile a 'working' version for Android 12

I forked from official repo, published unsigned APK
it goes without saying.. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, NO WARRANTY :)

@C3C076 you are more than welcome to grab my branch, and build a signed 'beta' version with official keys

Edit: I now see that others have also built unofficial Android 12 version of GravityBox, But no one has reported on github, so I create my own unofficial version, I'll mention in the github issue that other versions exist as well..

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
if you are looking for and or waiting for an Android 12 Release,
I have good news, I managed to compile a 'working' version for Android 12

I forked from official repo, published unsigned APK
it goes without saying.. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, NO WARRANTY :)

@C3C076 you are more than welcome to grab my branch, and build a signed 'beta' version with official keys

Edit: I now see that others have also built unofficial Android 12 version of GravityBox, But no one has reported on github, so I create my own unofficial version, I'll mention in the github issue that other versions exist as well..
Great but what is working and what not and any changelog of it ?

asaf400

Apr 15, 2010
Great but what is working and what not and any changelog of it ?

As I've said on github, I did the bare minimum to get the app to open on Android 12,
and a bit more to fix the Torch functionality..
  • Torch works ( I had to turn off battery optimization for GravityBox for that to work consistently from locked sleep state)
  • Status bar:
    • Battery circle works
    • Traffic meter works
  • Navigation button customizations:
    • Back to kill works
  • Media tweaks:
    • Force Ring volume control works
    • Expanded volume panel works
  • Power tweaks:
    • Advanced reboot menu ( Doesn't work on my phone, your mileage may vary )

Other than that list you would need to check stuff yourself..
and for any feature that doesn't work, there would probably be a stack trace dumped into lsposed logs..

As for changelog, just compare my s branch, with official r branch..
no major rewrite, just fixes for A12..

c19932

Jun 9, 2010
Google Pixel 6
As I've said on github, I did the bare minimum to get the app to open on Android 12,
and a bit more to fix the Torch functionality..
  • Torch works ( I had to turn off battery optimization for GravityBox for that to work consistently from locked sleep state)
  • Status bar:
    • Battery circle works
    • Traffic meter works
  • Navigation button customizations:
    • Back to kill works
  • Media tweaks:
    • Force Ring volume control works
    • Expanded volume panel works
  • Power tweaks:
    • Advanced reboot menu ( Doesn't work on my phone, your mileage may vary )

Other than that list you would need to check stuff yourself..
and for any feature that doesn't work, there would probably be a stack trace dumped into lsposed logs..

As for changelog, just compare my s branch, with official r branch..
no major rewrite, just fixes for A12..
Would this work for 12.1 as well? Thanks!

asaf400

Apr 15, 2010
Would this work for 12.1 as well? Thanks!
I don't think so, currently the app targets a specific SDK version,
I'll compile one for 12.1 ( which is SDK version 32 I guess.. )

Edit:
try this for Android 12.1

Last edited:
Reactions: daddylonglegs

hellokitty69

Nov 2, 2016
I'm wondering, is it possible to have some sort of magisk module with gravitybox functionity? I used to use dozens of xposed modules but these days I find myself only having xposed just to use gravitybox.

Fif_

Jun 5, 2013
Google Nexus 10
Google Nexus 4
I'm wondering, is it possible to have some sort of magisk module with gravitybox functionity? I used to use dozens of xposed modules but these days I find myself only having xposed just to use gravitybox.
No, or at least not easily.
The only other way would to substitute various patched versions of resources files, framework libraries and system packages. But that would be one different Magisk module for each and every device and ROM versions. Not practical.
In theory you could achieve a degree of device and ROM independence with something like Smali patcher, but it would be lots of work to maintain.

Last edited:
Reactions: christantoan

MrCabana

Jun 21, 2013
GB is not working on my redmi note 7 running Android 10, stock ROM.
Tried with both EdXposed and LSPosed.
I'd like to tweak battery display settings, including the charging bar, but nothing is working.
Any ideas?

Top Liked Posts

I just tested this version: https://github.com/asaf400/GravityBox/releases/tag/v12.1.0_s_v2
    I am unsure whether the Android 12 version is still being actively developed and I am using a CustomROM (LineageOS), but here are my results anyway, maybe it is still interesting:
    Installation worked, some parts work, but most do not: NavBar, notifications, battery and clock do nothing. Traffic monitor and volume work. Quick settings are affected, but their smaller version is a bit broken. All app selection lists show only very few entries.
    Having the module on, even with default settings, breaks calls and mobile data.
    Most changes can in a more limited way be done with "AOSPMods" instead.
    I just tested this version: https://github.com/asaf400/GravityBox/releases/tag/v12.1.0_s_v2
    I am unsure whether the Android 12 version is still being actively developed and I am using a CustomROM (LineageOS), but here are my results anyway, maybe it is still interesting:
    Installation worked, some parts work, but most do not: NavBar, notifications, battery and clock do nothing. Traffic monitor and volume work. Quick settings are affected, but their smaller version is a bit broken. All app selection lists show only very few entries.
    Having the module on, even with default settings, breaks calls and mobile data.
    Most changes can in a more limited way be done with "AOSPMods" instead.
    GravityBox - all-in-one tweak box - Xposed module for devices running Android 11
    Version 11.0.5 [R]

Version for JellyBean is available in this thread:
    https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2316070
    Version for KitKat is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2554049
    Version for Lollipop is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3037566
    Version for Marshmallow is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3251148
    Version for Nougat is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3653953
    Version for Oreo is available in this thread: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3739929
    Version for Pie is available in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3908768
    Version for Q is available in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3974497

READ THIS POST CAREFULLY BEFORE PROCEEDING ANY FURTHER

Introduction
    The app utilizes Riru-EdXposed Magisk module which uses original Xposed Framework API created by rovo89.

!!!!!! WARNING !!!!!!
    This module utilizes EdXposed Framework which is still in early development stage and may contain bugs or might not be fully compatible with the system of your Android device. I take no responsibility for any issues arising from using GravityBox with EdXposed and strongly recommend creating a full backup of your device before activating the module.

Requirements
    - Magisk v21 or later
    - Riru v23 or later (Magisk module)
    - EdXposed Manager (Application)
    - Avoid using Resource hooking support if possible (Can be disabled in EdXposed Manager settings)

Installation
    This procedure assumes you have working Magisk installation.
    1) Install Riru module in Magisk Manager
    2) Install and run EdXposed Manager app and download Riru-EdXposed module v5.1.3.x or later (currently Alpha/Canary)
    3) Install downloaded Riru-EdXposed module in Magisk Manager
    5) Reboot and open EdXposed Manager app to check if EdXposed works and is active
    6) Install GravityBox and enable it in EdXposed Manager
    7) Reboot and profit

Required whitelisted packages
    In case you use blacklist/whitelist functionality of EdXposed make sure all the following packages are whitelisted (not blacklisted respectively) for full GravityBox experience.
    - Android System (android)
    - System UI (com.android.systemui)
    - Call Management (com.android.server.telecom)
    - Download Manager (com.android.providers.downloads)
    - Phone (com.android.dialer or com.google.android.dialer)
    - Phone Services (com.android.phone)
    - Phone (com.android.incallui) (OxygenOS only)
    - Keyboard app (e.g. Gboard) in order to be able to use "Volume key cursor control" feature
    It is strongly recommended to use Whitelist functionality for better performance as EdXposed hooks only smaller amount of processes.
    In case of running multiple Xposed modules consult their whitelist requirements with the devs of module.

Feature highlight
    --- Lockscreen tweaks
    --- QuickSettings tile management with additional tiles
    --- Statusbar tweaks
    --- Navigation bar tweaks
    --- Pie controls
    --- Power tweaks
    --- Display tweaks
    --- Phone tweaks
    --- Media tweaks
    --- Hardware/navigation key actions
    --- GravityBox Actions - interface for 3rd party apps
    --- Notification control (per-app notification LED/sounds/vibrations)
    --- Fingerprint launcher
    --- Advanced tuning of Framework and System UI parameters
    ... and many more

Compatibility
    GB's main concept is to make most of the preference changes to be done on the fly without need to reboot a device to achieve custom-ROM like experience.
    This means it is not possible to "completely deactivate" particular feature if it causes trouble on your device or if you installed GB because you want to use only one particular feature you can't find elsewhere.
    This results in issues on ROMs/devices that have parts that are diverting from default Android implementation too much, or are running heavily modified custom ROMs.
    If you experience weird issues after installing GB, even if you didn't activate a particular feature, it is not because of GB is broken, it is because it is not compatible with your ROM.
    It is very similar to a situation when you installed ROM built from source for Nexus to some Xperia device - it won't work.

GB is a complex module and is not suitable for 1 purpose scenario. This means, if you are running custom ROM built from source, and you are missing a certain feature, your best option is to go ask creators of those ROMs to implement those additional features. Supplementing missing features on well-known custom ROMs built from source by installing xposed modules (especially complex ones) is definitely not a good way to go and can cause more trouble than good.
    GB being a complex module, it shouldn't be combined with other complex modules often racing for the same goal. They can conflict/fight on the same playground and there's no way you can deterministically say which one's going to win. They can even lose both.

So in summary:

GravityBox [R] has been designed for and tested on
    - Pixel 3a running Google OS
    - OnePlus 7Pro running Oxygen OS 11

Reporting bugs
    If possible, please use Github issue reporting interface for reporting bugs.
    If you experience problems with certain feature, provide the full-detailed info that can help me
    to reproduce the bug and attach logs that can be exported from EdXposed Manager app.
    Real-time logging can be performed by using ADB: adb logcat -s EdXposed-Bridge

In case you experience SystemUI crashes or other apps Force Closing, or device soft reboots, attach logcat from time
    crash occurs. (use adb logcat *:E or your favorite logcat app from Play Store).
    Please, don't attach big logs. Only the portion where error is clearly seen.
    Disable all other xposed modules before reproducing bug to make sure it is really GravityBox related
    Remember, this app was developed and tested on one particular device so it is not guaranteed that it will work flawlessly on yours.

Multilanguage support
    Volunteers are welcome to translate GravityBox to other languages.
    Preferred way is to use GitHub interface to fork your own copy of GravityBox, make changes and then send pull request against original repository.
    Anoter way is to simply download this file: https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/raw/r/GravityBox/src/main/res/values/strings.xml
    Use Notepad++ to edit strings and then send me edited file so I can include translations into next release.

Source code
    GravityBox is opensource. Sources are available in my gihub: https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/tree/r
    If you're a dev and have some ideas for additional features, feel free to fork it, work on it and send the pull requests.

Copyright notice
    https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/blob/r/NOTICE

Support development
    Coding, maintaining and supporting this project costs me a lot of my precious time. If you find this project useful, you are more than welcome to support its development via donation. This form of support is meant to compensate for my time dedicated to the community + eventually, help me to afford newer device to keep up with AOSP evolution thus providing continuous support as Android evolves. Thanks!

Info about premium features and PayPal transaction ID verification system
    1) Those who supported development via PayPal donation can use their PayPal transaction ID to unlock premium features.
    As of v2.9.5, there are three premium features:
    - Backup/restore of GB settings.
    - Ultimate notification control
    - Advanced Tuning

2) If you contributed to the project by providing translations, code fragments, or by any other way
    you can apply for a free transaction ID by contacting me via PM.

3) Be aware that there's a system that can identify potential transaction ID
    abuse. E.g. when one ID is being used by more users. Such IDs will get blocked automatically.
    In case you own more devices, you can use one transaction ID on up to 10 of them.

4) If you are using your own custom builds of GB for personal use, you will get hash mismatch
    upon verifying your ID as verification system accepts requests only from official releases of GB.
    If you want to be able to verify IDs with your custom build, contact me via PM so I can setup
    a special hash for your build.
    If you are using a custom build that you provide for broader group of users (e.g. in a custom ROM),
    it is necessary to ask for new hash everytime your new custom version is released for public use.
    These rules are based on mutual trust so please, do not violate them.

Credits
    - RikkaW for creating and maintainng Riru Magisk module
    - solohsu & MlgmXyysd for creating and maintaining EdExposed Magisk module
    - @frank93 for donating Pixel 3a for development
    - @bgcngm for his code contributions to the project
    - @MohammadAG for Xperia specific contributions to the project
    - @rovo89 for his ultimate Xposed framework and "Volume keys to skip track" mod
    - @peptonib for starting me up with this project
    - @simmac for app icon
    - @romracer for Motorola specific code contributions
    - @firefds for Samsung specific code contributions
    - CyanogenMod project
    - ParanoidAndroid project
    - Slim, RootBox, AOKP, OmniROM projects
    - Sergey Margaritov for ColorPickerPreference
    - ArthurHub for Image cropping library
    - All those who provided translations for different languages (Mr.Premise, peptonib, kidmar, ch-vox, romashko, Indiant, lelemm, oicirbaf, unavix, LuHash, WedyDQ10, mp3comanche, awaaas, liveasx, samsonbear, Eric850130, xtrem007, benjoe1, asmb111, Fatih Firinci, ...)
    - and finally, all those who keep the project alive by supporting me via donations (you know who you are)

Changelog
    https://github.com/GravityBox/GravityBox/blob/r/CHANGELOG.txt
    Changelog 11.0.5 - 08/08/2021
    - Lockscreen: added option to blur media artwork on lockscreen (thanks to robbins)
    - Navbar: allow cursor control keys in gestural navbar
    - Dialer: adjusted for compatibility with the latest Google Dialer
    - Properly identify OnePlus 8T as device running OxygenOS ROM (thanks to F-i-f)
    --- should improve compatibility significantly

Developed and tested on:
    - Pixel 3a running Google OS
    - OnePlus 7Pro running Oxygen OS 11

Current issues
    - Display: Expanded Desktop - immersive modes not working
    - Key actions: Home double-tap not working
    - Lockscreen: Changed custom carrier text won't appear immediately
    - Custom Battery indicator: stock battery may appear for a while after the reboot
    - ... + potentially others mainly device/system variation specific

Removed features
    - GPS and SlimKat tiles - location modes (battery saving/high accuracy/device) no longer exist in Android 11
    - Audio Recording tile - background recording of audio not possible in Android 11

Download

Settings
    It is possible to restore settings that were backed up in GravityBox [Q]
    Simply transfer "GravityBox" folder from internal storage of one device to internal storage of another device.

Required whitelisted packages
    In case you use blacklist/whitelist functionality of EdXposed make sure all the following packages are whitelisted (not blacklisted respectively) for full GravityBox experience.
    - Android System (android)
    - System UI (com.android.systemui)
    - Call Management (com.android.server.telecom)
    - Download Manager (com.android.providers.downloads)
    - Phone (com.android.dialer or com.google.android.dialer)
    - Phone Services (com.android.phone)
    - Phone (com.android.incallui) (OxygenOS only)
    - Keyboard app (e.g. Gboard) in order to be able to use "Volume key cursor control" feature
    It is strongly recommended to use Whitelist functionality for better performance as EdXposed hooks only smaller amount of processes.
    In case of running multiple Xposed modules consult their whitelist requirements with the devs of module.

Credits
    @frank93 for donating Pixel 3a for developemnt

Commit history
    Commit history for transition from 11.0.4 to 11.0.5
    This is a very crude version of GravityBox for A13.
    I just made the required changes so I can have circle battery icon with percentage. Other stuff probably work as well, but I'm not planning on fixing anything that doesn't.
    Feel free to fork the repo - https://github.com/Firefds/GravityBox/tree/tiramisu

Enjoy the stuff that work!
    Version 11.0.3 available

Changelog 11.0.3 - 06/06/2021
    - Improved compatibility with OxygenOS (OP7Pro, OOS 11.0.1.1)
    --- Clock: fixed positioning in Status Bar Header
    --- Battery Style: fixed layout in Status Bar Header
    --- Lockscreen: fixed application bar (Shortcuts)
    --- Lockscreen: fixed Direct Unlock and Smart Unlock
    --- Dialer: adjusted for compatibility (call recording, etc)
    ------ Requires whitelisting com.oneplus.dialer
    - StatusBar: improved brightness control
    - Fixed "Force LTR" feature (thanks to Y-T-G)
    - Updated Turkish translations (thanks to Fatih Firinci)

Download

Commit history
    Commit history for transition from 11.0.2 to 11.0.3
    Version 11.0.5 available

Changelog 11.0.5 - 08/08/2021
    - Lockscreen: added option to blur media artwork on lockscreen (thanks to robbins)
    - Navbar: allow cursor control keys in gestural navbar
    - Properly identify OnePlus 8T as device running OxygenOS ROM (thanks to F-i-f)
    --- should improve compatibility significantly

Download
    Also available in Xposed Repository and LSPosed Repository.

Commit history
    Commit history for transition from 11.0.4 to 11.0.5