• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. To discuss, report bugs and other issues, use this thread.

[APP] Recents Shortcuts

xperiacle

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 12, 2012
Hello Friends,

Just want to share another hidden feature I discovered on the Note 3 and Note 4 Lollipop update - ability to ADD app shortcuts in the RECENTS panel. This is a Samsung hidden feature and I just created an app to easily add those shortcuts. It means that the feature may or may not be available on your rom version or model.

The feature allow only 4 shortcuts but it is possible to increase the number by modifying SystemUI recents layout file and some smali values. I will just leave this one to some other devs who would like a challenge.

Anyway, just download and install and selects max. 4 apps, save and reboot. The shortcuts will appear in the recents panel as can be seen on screenshot below.

As usual, USE with CAUTION and at your own RISK.

Attachments

kevp75

Recognized Contributor
Aug 29, 2012
MA
kevinpirnie.com
Hello Friends,

Just want to share another hidden feature I discovered on the Note 3 and Note 4 Lollipop update - ability to ADD app shortcuts in the RECENTS panel. This is a Samsung hidden feature and I just created an app to easily add those shortcuts. It means that the feature may or may not be available on your rom version or model.

The feature allow only 4 shortcuts but it is possible to increase the number by modifying SystemUI recents layout file and some smali values. I will just leave this one to some other devs who would like a challenge.

Anyway, just download and install and selects max. 4 apps, save and reboot. The shortcuts will appear in the recents panel as can be seen on screenshot below.

As usual, USE with CAUTION and at your own RISK.
Nice... Now to figure out where it actually lies LOL

Thanks for this bud

thahim

Forum Leader
Dec 24, 2006
Karachi
@xperiacle where are these shortcuts?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Do I have anything else to say? No. Just install and enjoy the magic thanks @xperiacle you are amazing.
After installing and restarting my phone i am getting com.android.systemui crash error, i can't use my phone as the error pops up every 1 second, i somehow managed to get into app manager, but this recents app is not there so that i can uninstall it.

Kamy

Aug 29, 2012
Beijing
@xperiacle where are these shortcuts?

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

After installing and restarting my phone i am getting com.android.systemui crash error, i can't use my phone as the error pops up every 1 second, i somehow managed to get into app manager, but this recents app is not there so that i can uninstall it.
It is working here.

Attachments

Kamy

Aug 29, 2012
Beijing
Tell me how to uninstall this app, its not in the drawer and not in app manager, i am getting systemui crash error every second after installing this app.
You have done something wrong mate. It's already there. Download the app again and install give root permission, choose what app you want to appear in recent apps and then reboot.

Attachments

thahim

Forum Leader
Dec 24, 2006
Karachi
You have done something wrong mate. It's already there. Download the app again and install give root permission, choose what app you want to appear in recent apps and then reboot.
i uninstalled xposed installer, the error went away, i downloaded and install recents app again, and uninstalled it from drawer, restarted my phone and still i'm getting shortcuts in recents panel, i don't want it i want to uninstall this app completely, and get back xposed installer on my phone.

Kamy

Aug 29, 2012
Beijing
i uninstalled xposed installer, the error went away, i downloaded and install recents app again, and uninstalled it from drawer, restarted my phone and still i'm getting shortcuts in recents panel, i don't want it i want to uninstall this app completely, and get back xposed installer on my phone.
As I said you have done something wrong. First this app is for lollipop as xperiacle has mentioned. From other side you cannot install xposed on lollipop unless you are on Kit Kat so you are totally on wrong road.

thahim

Forum Leader
Dec 24, 2006
Karachi
As I said you have done something wrong. First this app is for lollipop as xperiacle has mentioned. From other side you cannot install xposed on lollipop unless you are on Kit Kat so you are totally on wrong road.
Yes I have kitkat but now how to get rid of this app.

Morningstar

Apr 2, 2006
CA
www.alliance-rom.com
Yes I have kitkat but now how to get rid of this app.

If your device boots all the way, just remove it with Titanium Backup. If not, then either use the file manager in recovery, or connect via adb, and remove it from /data/app.

And I highly suggest that next time you read the instructions a little better, as the OP clearly said this was for Lollipop. You're lucky it was something that can easily be fixed...

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Apr 9, 2011
Gujarat
Hello Friends,
Thank you again for one more magic.
I have tried to add more app and it seems here
smali/com/android/systemui/recentsRecentsActivity.smali
Also seems to add 3 IDs as per icons
Some codes I can see here are
Code:
.field private static final MAX_NUM_SHORTCUT_BUTTONS:I = 0x4
iput-object v0, v1, Lcom/android/systemui/recents/RecentsActivity;->mShortcutComponentNames:[Ljava/lang/String;
.local v17, "shortCutLayout":[Landroid/widget/LinearLayout;
I tried to implement it but adding more than 5 causing FC
BUT you gave me one more idea. Who needs more than 4 app in recent then why not to integrate @gharrington s 3minit quicklaunch in recent (I believe still it requires your mod :) ) and we can use as many as shortcut even on the fly.
Here I have tested and working like a charm.

Attachments

Last edited:

and2

Sep 25, 2008
Halle
Thank you again for one more magic.
I have tried to add more app and it seems here
smali/com/android/systemui/recentsRecentsActivity.smali
Also seems to add 3 IDs as per icons
Some codes I can see here are
Code:
.field private static final MAX_NUM_SHORTCUT_BUTTONS:I = 0x4
iput-object v0, v1, Lcom/android/systemui/recents/RecentsActivity;->mShortcutComponentNames:[Ljava/lang/String;
.local v17, "shortCutLayout":[Landroid/widget/LinearLayout;
I tried to implement it but adding more than 5 causing FC
BUT you gave me one more idea. Who needs more than 4 app in recent then why not to integrate @gharrington s 3minit quicklaunch in recent (I believe still it requires your mod :) ) and we can use as many as even on the fly.
Here I have tested and working like a charm.

Great. I would use it. I use quicklaunch anyway but i think in recent is more comfortable.

Reactions: kevp75

and2

Sep 25, 2008
Halle
@dr.ketan Can you tell me where did you put the quicklaunch files? i guess in recent.xml where are the shortcuts. But i am not sure if so and where do place the line in the xml. Thank you very much
Btw i could not test your UPSM cause AyraMod had it already. Sorry i forgot to tell you :angel:

dr.ketan

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Apr 9, 2011
Gujarat
Yeah in recent.xml with icons
UPSM already reported by too many users and working fine.

Sent from my SM-N910G using xda premium

and2

Sep 25, 2008
Halle
Yeah in recent.xml with icons
UPSM already reported by too many users and working fine.

Sent from my SM-N910G using xda premium
It´s so great. The combination of the Recent Shortcut and Quicklaunch is amazing. I found the right entry. The quicklaunch at this place is so much better than in the pulldown. You both are great. Thank you both.

Attachments

Last edited:
Our Apps
Get our official app! (coming soon)
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone