[APP][ROOT][2.2+]ScreenOff - Soft Screen Off(Respects Smart Lock Feature) v1.2/v2.0b

Search This thread

keertikumar_ws

Apr 20, 2011
Chennai
Hi,

Important : Requires ROOT

This is a simple App that emulates the click of Power Button.

Handy when u want to reduce wear and tear of the physical button or if the button is not working.

Currently the following method of Trigger are available:

- Using the Swipe Up Assist action which usually opens the Google Now App
- Application icon (In Launcher)
- Shortcut
- Intent Support - Use 'in.pathri.screenoff.SCREEN_OFF' as Intent action to trigger screen off from ANY App, including TASKER

Following are planned to be added:

- Widget (Is it Needed?? )
- Tasker Extension

Advantage over other similar apps in Market:

The usual 'Screen Off' 'Screen Lock' Apps that are available in market, makes the 'Smart Lock' feature introduced in Lollipop not work. Also this makes the timeout period set in the 'Automatically Lock' security settings to not work.

Since my App uses shell commands (and hence the need for Root) to emulate Power Button press, both Smart Lock and 'Automatically Lock' settings work. :)

Disclaimer:
AFAIK should not cause any problems in any device since nothing dangerous is being used. But still the usual disclaimer : ' I am not responsible for any damage done to your device, hand, home etc... LOL :p'

Have tested so far in the following Mobiles. Would be glad if others test it out in various mobiles and report here.
Nexus 5
HTC One X

Change Log:
v0.1 - 5th Jan:
- Initial Version with only Google Now Swipe gesture support

v0.2 - 8th Jan:
- Added the following:
  • Application launcher
  • Shortcut
  • Intent Support : 'in.pathri.screenoff.SCREEN_OFF'

v1.0 - 18th Jan:
Modified code to support more Devices. Probably must work in all Android devices irrespective of Android Version

v1.1 - 20th Jan
Shouldn't be showing in recents anymore

v1.2 - 20th March
Added icon for the swipe up gesture
Fixed a bug that was causing adding shortcut to crash in certain launchers(AFAIK GEL based)

v2.0b - 30th March
Adding a new material icon - thanks to @slider112

Attachments

• ScreenOff_v1.2.apk
    352.2 KB · Views: 1,750
  • ScreenOff_v2_big_icon.apk
    393 KB · Views: 855
  • ScreenOff_v2_small_icon.apk
    393 KB · Views: 2,359
Last edited:

thahim

Forum Leader
Dec 24, 2006
Karachi
That feature is not yet available. It is planned though in future updates :)
If possible can you verify If the swipe up gesture is turning screen off in your phone? Would like to confirm whether my App is working across devices

Thanks
It brings my magazines app.
What I meant to say is that we can do this with tasker.

keertikumar_ws

Apr 20, 2011
Chennai
It brings my magazines app.
What I meant to say is that we can do this with tasker.

AFAIK, If we use tasker to screen off, it will immediately lock and would not respect the Smart Lock feature. Please correct me If am wrong.

Regarding the gesture bringing up the magazine app, have u configured the swipe up gesture do that by default ? Or After installing this App,the swipe up gesture got assigned to it?

Reactions: crubbish

thahim

Forum Leader
Dec 24, 2006
Karachi
AFAIK, If we use tasker to screen off, it will immediately lock and would not respect the Smart Lock feature. Please correct me If am wrong.

Regarding the gesture bringing up the magazine app, have u configured the swipe up gesture do that by default ? Or After installing this App,the swipe up gesture got assigned to it?
This is default action on my phone. I can't reconfigure it.

kleineronkl

Aug 11, 2010
Würzburg
I want to use this app with Nova Launcher.. Double tap Funktion .. Choose app under nova settings. But i couldn't choose your App. It isn't also not in my App drawer.

Sent from my Nexus 5

keertikumar_ws

Apr 20, 2011
Chennai
No its by defaultfs, and this action can't be changed on note 3.
Oh..ok.. Then I Guess the swipe up gesture you are talking might not be the one I am referring to. The gesture I am referring to usually triggers Google Now /Google search

Does the gesture that opens the magazine app, work on custom launcher?? If no, I Guess that gesture is part of Samsung launcher and can't be overridden without launcher replacement :(

Reactions: crubbish

keertikumar_ws

Apr 20, 2011
Chennai
I want to use this app with Nova Launcher.. Double tap Funktion .. Choose app under nova settings. But i couldn't choose your App. It isn't also not in my App drawer.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Hi, Possible to try the new v1.0 of this app? Guess it should be working as expected using Nova :)

This is default action on my phone. I can't reconfigure it.

Hi, Is it possible for you to test this app either through the App in the App Drawer or through shortcuts? Would be glad if you could test it, so that we can be sure of the devices that the App supports.
Thank u :)

thahim

Forum Leader
Dec 24, 2006
Karachi
Hi, Possible to try the new v1.0 of this app? Guess it should be working as expected using Nova :)

Hi, Is it possible for you to test this app either through the App in the App Drawer or through shortcuts? Would be glad if you could test it, so that we can be sure of the devices that the App supports.
Thank u :)
It works when I click the icon my phone locks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

keertikumar_ws

Apr 20, 2011
Chennai
It works when I click the icon my phone locks.

Thanks a lot my friend :)

Regarding overriding the swipe up gesture in ur Note 3 , I think it might be possible with an Xposed module. I have never written one, so not Sure. I am ready to try to make a Xposed module, If it's ok for u to test it out in ur mobile (have no previous experience in writing Xposed module, so a word of caution )

thahim

Forum Leader
Dec 24, 2006
Karachi
I have tried that mod already it doesnt replaes the gesure action.

ratbags

Jan 19, 2015
For some reason not working for me on nexus 4. Gave su privileges but setting up shortcut or opening app do nothing. Edit: this was some glitch with super user, reinstalling sorted it thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Important : Requires ROOT

This is a simple App that emulates the click of Power Button.

Handy when u want to reduce wear and tear of the physical button or if the button is not working.

Currently the following method of Trigger are available:

- Using the Swipe Up Assist action which usually opens the Google Now App
    - Application icon (In Launcher)
    - Shortcut
    - Intent Support - Use 'in.pathri.screenoff.SCREEN_OFF' as Intent action to trigger screen off from ANY App, including TASKER

Following are planned to be added:

- Widget (Is it Needed?? )
    - Tasker Extension

Advantage over other similar apps in Market:

The usual 'Screen Off' 'Screen Lock' Apps that are available in market, makes the 'Smart Lock' feature introduced in Lollipop not work. Also this makes the timeout period set in the 'Automatically Lock' security settings to not work.

Since my App uses shell commands (and hence the need for Root) to emulate Power Button press, both Smart Lock and 'Automatically Lock' settings work. :)

Disclaimer:
    AFAIK should not cause any problems in any device since nothing dangerous is being used. But still the usual disclaimer : ' I am not responsible for any damage done to your device, hand, home etc... LOL :p'

Have tested so far in the following Mobiles. Would be glad if others test it out in various mobiles and report here.
    Nexus 5
    HTC One X

Change Log:
    v0.1 - 5th Jan:
    - Initial Version with only Google Now Swipe gesture support

v0.2 - 8th Jan:
    - Added the following:
    • Application launcher
    • Shortcut
    • Intent Support : 'in.pathri.screenoff.SCREEN_OFF'

v1.0 - 18th Jan:
    Modified code to support more Devices. Probably must work in all Android devices irrespective of Android Version

v1.1 - 20th Jan
    Shouldn't be showing in recents anymore

v1.2 - 20th March
    Added icon for the swipe up gesture
    Fixed a bug that was causing adding shortcut to crash in certain launchers(AFAIK GEL based)

v2.0b - 30th March
    Adding a new material icon - thanks to @slider112
    I love this icon:

switch-turn-off-icon.png

I also love the app, works great on my N6 :good:
    Nice app, especially for people without Tasker.

For people with Tasker (and root): It is possible to emulate the power button with a shell command:

Action -> Code -> Run Shell -> Command = "input keyevent 26" -> Enable "Use Root"

I've tested it with my Nexus 5 and it respects Smart Lock.

Sent from my Nexus 5
    Currently this app supports Google Now swipe up gesture only. Other forms of opening the App will be updated soon :)
    Working good on my z ultra stock rom 4.4.4 rooted
    .. But can you change icon search with icon shutdown when i swipe up

Updated the App. The new version 1.2 should be displaying an icon in the swipe up gesture now :)
    @tw1tch175 : Regarding the crash you were reporting it in Action Launcher beta 3, I tried to get the latest Beta and noticed that the base look of the launcher was that of the GEL. Installed GEL and tried adding my app's Shortcut to home screen and GEL crashed immediately :eek:

Found the bug and its now fixed and working in GEL also :good: Thanks for the bug report :)