[APP][ROOT/ADB][10][11/Oct] DarQ: Per-app selectable force dark option for Android 10

Search This thread

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk

DarQ provides a per-app selectable force dark option for Android 10.

It uses an accessibility service and root or ADB to allow you to pick just the apps you want to use the force dark theme on. Force dark is a hidden option, provided by the Android system, which intelligently inverts light backgrounds to dark, and dark text and icons to light. It allows a majority of third party apps, such as Snapchat, LinkedIn, as well as first-party Google apps which do not have a dark theme (such as the Play Store) to have a dark mode.

DarQ also provides an option to apply the system dark theme (as well as selectable force dark) only after sunset and before sunrise, protecting your eyes when it's most needed.

Please read the Frequently Asked Questions sections in the app or here for more information and some answers to questions

Download from XDA Labs

Download the script to run it without root using ADB

Source available on GitHub

Screenshots:

Examples of apps with force dark enabled:

Changelog:

v1.3
Added Xposed module to prevent apps disabling force dark mode programmatically
Bumped target to Android 11, and added query packages permission to allow it to continue working
Added instructions on how to use the script with ADB wireless pair on Android 11
Background service will now restore the global override setting after a reboot
App list no longer shows DarQ as an option
Updated libraries
Updated FAQ

Contains a modified version of the "HK Grotesk" font, modified to have slightly rounder edges and use the secondary "g" instead of its original primary. Licenced under the Open Font Licence, available here

Attachments

• DarQ.ADB.v1.1.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 3,538
Last edited:

JT1510365

Jan 7, 2014
South Lyon
Thanks for this will try it out and give feedback:)

Edit: Never mind it only works with android Q:( I'm Sad the latest i am running is pie:(

Last edited:

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Reactions: steven360

ekowwillis

Jan 30, 2012
Accra
Google Pixel 3 XL
It forces the app drawer arrow to show. May be @Quinny899 can do something about it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190702-050318.jpg
    Screenshot_20190702-050318.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 11,504
Last edited:

Tisckkytt

Jun 30, 2018
Unfortunately not working for me. Root & accessibility access given. DP4, GSI on a treble enabled device.
Toggling 'Enable Dark Theme' has no effect & 'Force Dark Theme' option won't let me toggle the switch but it shows 'Restart any apps to apply this change' message when tapped.
I selected some apps & toggled force dark manually from dev settings but the selections don't seem to apply that way too.
If you need logs let me know. Thanks

S8rooted&tooted

Sep 18, 2017
Not unless Google themselves add this. This app only activates the built in dark mode force which isn't full black
It activated whatever dark mode the app can support. I have some black and some dark. No choice between them, but some are black. It depends how the app is built. I have a few news apps that go black, and few others are dark.

devsk

Dec 14, 2008
Reactions: cattolicboy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greeting to @Quinny899 from Whalley Range! ;)

Using a Huawei Mate 20 X it works fine using EMUI 10 (Android 10). Just updated to EMUI 11 (also Android 10) and also got it to work fine.

I did have issues at first even though the Accessibility Service was started and permission given to DarQ but I just had to restart the device to get it to work OK. I suggest people try that also.

DarQ works on my Paypal app but not at all on my Halifax banking app and a quite a few other apps which is a shame but thanks nonetheless for your efforts.

DarQ provides a per-app selectable force dark option for Android 10.

It uses an accessibility service and root or ADB to allow you to pick just the apps you want to use the force dark theme on. Force dark is a hidden option, provided by the Android system, which intelligently inverts light backgrounds to dark, and dark text and icons to light. It allows a majority of third party apps, such as Snapchat, LinkedIn, as well as first-party Google apps which do not have a dark theme (such as the Play Store) to have a dark mode.

DarQ also provides an option to apply the system dark theme (as well as selectable force dark) only after sunset and before sunrise, protecting your eyes when it's most needed.

Please read the Frequently Asked Questions sections in the app or here for more information and some answers to questions

Download from XDA Labs

Download the script to run it without root using ADB

Source available on GitHub

Screenshots:

Examples of apps with force dark enabled:

Changelog:

v1.3
    Added Xposed module to prevent apps disabling force dark mode programmatically
    Bumped target to Android 11, and added query packages permission to allow it to continue working
    Added instructions on how to use the script with ADB wireless pair on Android 11
    Background service will now restore the global override setting after a reboot
    App list no longer shows DarQ as an option
    Updated libraries
    Updated FAQ

Contains a modified version of the "HK Grotesk" font, modified to have slightly rounder edges and use the secondary "g" instead of its original primary. Licenced under the Open Font Licence, available here
    Version 1.1 is now on XDA Labs. It includes support for Android Q beta 5, and removes support for beta 4. Do not update if you are still on beta 4.

Why did this take so long for a one line change?
    Yesterday, when beta 5 came out, and I discovered the force dark setprop key had reverted, the first thing I tried was to set it without root. To my surprise, it worked (but this does not mean DarQ works without root now, keep reading).
    However, after modifying the app to not need root and to only allow the auto dark option with root, I released an APK to a few testers. They all reported the same thing: It didn't work without root.
    What actually turned out was that while it worked without root permissions, selinux had to be disabled. As I use Viper4Android on my Pixel, I have selinux disabled (the only current way for it to work on Q), so I didn't notice this during development.
    And so, those modifications took a few hours and were all trashed this evening in favour of a one line change and release. Serves me right for not fully testing it before putting effort into development.

Enjoy.
    Version 1.2 is now available on XDA Labs, at long last!

If you're using ADB (the non-root method), please make sure to download and run the script too.

Changelog said:
    v1.2
    - DarQ now works without root! Use the ADB script from the XDA thread or GitHub repository to run the required background service to use DarQ without needing to root your device.
    - Fixed root detection
    - Added OxygenOS support
    - Added a search box to the app list
    - Added a filter for system apps (hidden by default) in the app list
    When downloading from XDA labs app or browser, I get a "trouble parsing package" error.
    Thread Cleaned, since it looks like someone is having a bad day, maybe too much quarantine or not enough. Nevertheless, be nice, play nice, or else you will find, yourself quarantined from XDA.

Carry on.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone