[APP][ROOT] GTalk 1.3 with Video - Working on the SGS2!!

Search This thread

ma10

Aug 14, 2006
London
See the original thread posted by britoso for details but thought you guys might like a fresh post here with details specific to our SGS2:

[APP][ROOT] Google Talk 1.3 with Video calling, Now wifi optional!

Initially installed talk1.3.nowifi.update-signed.zip via root explorer as per I2asta's post but the other party could not see my video in their chat. So, installed the suggested "GoogleServicesFramework.apk" to /system/app location (root explorer), rebooted and video is now working both ways!!

Update - A little guide as suggested by nasgilani!

Notes

- Root Explorer is a paid app, tried & tested! There are free alternatives out there but use at your own peril...

- I'll be using the updated gapps and the files therein for this guide. If you want to use an alternative version e.g. nowifi, download that one and use in the instructions instead.

- After performing this mod you will probably have to setup your Google Account again... and possibly reboot a second time to resolve any quirks.

Steps

1. Download the Full Google Apps from 20110503 which includes the updated GTalk

2. Extract the following files from the zip and place them somewhere easily accessible on your phone's SDcard:

/system/app/Talk.apk
/system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
/system/lib/libtalk_jni.so

3. Open up Root Explorer and goto your extracted files

4. Long Click on Talk.apk and rename to Talk2.apk

5. Long Click on Talk2.apk and copy it, then navigate to /system/app

6. Press Mount R/W at the top right so it looks like:

Mount.jpg

Fig. 1 - Mount R/W to write files to this system folder

7. Click on the Paste button to paste it here

8. Long Click on Talk.apk and rename it to Talk.apk1

RootExplorer.jpg

Fig. 2 - You should now have both talk2.apk and talk.apk1 as shown above

9. Long Click on Talk2.apk and select permissions

permissions.jpg

Fig. 3 - Permissions should be as above

10. Alter the permissions to the same as Fig. 3 above and OK it

11. Now navigate back to your extracted files and rename GoogleServicesFramework.apk to something like GoogleServicesFramework2.apk and then Copy it.

12. Navigate to system/app and then Paste it here

13. Rename the original GoogleServicesFramework.apk to GoogleServicesFramework.apk1

14. Now you can Rename the new GoogleServicesFramework2.apk to GoogleServicesFramework.apk

Services.jpg

Fig. 4 - Now you should have 2 GoogleServicesFramework files

15. Long Click on the new GoogleServicesFramework.apk and alter the permissions to the same as shown in Fig. 3 above and then OK it

16. Navigate back to your extracted files again and Copy libtalk_jni.so

17. Then navigate to /system/lib and press Mount R/W

18. Paste libtalk_jni.so here

19. Again, set the Permissions of libtalk_jni.so as shown in Fig. 3

20. Reboot your phone...

21. Open up Talk, click on your own avatar and make sure Allow video and voice chats is enabled

22. Test out chat to make sure audio/video is working both ways...

23. Done!

A big thanks to britoso for posting this and I2asta for the root explorer intstructions!!

Last edited:

HumanoidTalking

Sep 5, 2010
Sydney
Thanks for posting it mate,

I would suggest if you can make a small guide on how and what you did to enable Gtalk video enabled on SGS2

Edit: Thanks mate you made this thread alive after the Guide.. :D

See the original thread posted by britoso for details but thought you guys might like a fresh post here with details specific to our SGS2:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1056793

Initially installed talk1.3.nowifi.update-signed.zip via root explorer as per I2asta's post but the other party could not see my video in their chat. So, installed the suggested "GoogleServicesFramework.apk" to /system/app location (root explorer), rebooted and video is now working both ways!!

A big thanks to britoso for posting this!!

Last edited:

dickie2007

Jan 6, 2007
Portsmouth
Just a note, lost my Google sync after installing the GoogleServicesFramework.apk, and had to re-add my account in Settings to get my contacts back etc...

No issue obviously just wanted to prevent any "OMGWTFBBQ!! where have all my contacts gone?!?!?!?!" posts... lol

Dickie

ma10

Aug 14, 2006
London
have you tested video chat with a pc client? How was the quality on 3g?

yep, I've only tested with PC clients and if you installed the nowifi version then it works with 3G. The quick tests I've done over 3G shows it works rather well with only a slight lag, acceptable imo.

ma10

Aug 14, 2006
London
Just a note, lost my Google sync after installing the GoogleServicesFramework.apk, and had to re-add my account in Settings to get my contacts back etc...

No issue obviously just wanted to prevent any "OMGWTFBBQ!! where have all my contacts gone?!?!?!?!" posts... lol

Dickie

I did add something in the Notes section but obviously it wasn't that clear... you think I should make it more clear?

Also, did you follow my instructions? If so, you think it's ok or do I need to change anything?

dickie2007

Jan 6, 2007
Portsmouth
I did add something in the Notes section but obviously it wasn't that clear... you think I should make it more clear?

Also, did you follow my instructions? If so, you think it's ok or do I need to change anything?

Sorry mate, i missed that part as i had already installed it and the only change i made was installing GoogleServicesFramework.apk as i found earlier today my mate could hear but not see me...

So that was my bad buddy, i'm sure anyone coming to this thread and reading properly will see what i missed, i just scanned it quick as i had already done most of the work...

One thing i've experienced, when switching to the Rear Camera, it cashes and I only get audio until I select Force Close... i tried this several times but on the 4th it fully crashed my phone, which took maybe 2mins to decide to reboot itself... no damage done tho...

Dickie

jonrwg

Oct 25, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Thanks ma10 !! it works ! haha.. I just need to re-login my google account but no contact lost before login.

Edit: Try to change to rear cam and it work fine.

Last edited:

ma10

Aug 14, 2006
London
@Dickie, I'm using talk1.3.nowifi.update-signed.zip and I guess that jonrwg is using the one inside gapps.zip if that is any help...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

[APP][ROOT] Google Talk 1.3 with Video calling, Now wifi optional!

Update - A little guide as suggested by nasgilani!

Notes

- Root Explorer is a paid app, tried & tested! There are free alternatives out there but use at your own peril...

- I'll be using the updated gapps and the files therein for this guide. If you want to use an alternative version e.g. nowifi, download that one and use in the instructions instead.

- After performing this mod you will probably have to setup your Google Account again... and possibly reboot a second time to resolve any quirks.

Steps

1. Download the Full Google Apps from 20110503 which includes the updated GTalk

2. Extract the following files from the zip and place them somewhere easily accessible on your phone's SDcard:

/system/app/Talk.apk
    /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk
    /system/lib/libtalk_jni.so

3. Open up Root Explorer and goto your extracted files

4. Long Click on Talk.apk and rename to Talk2.apk

5. Long Click on Talk2.apk and copy it, then navigate to /system/app

6. Press Mount R/W at the top right so it looks like:

Mount.jpg

Fig. 1 - Mount R/W to write files to this system folder

7. Click on the Paste button to paste it here

8. Long Click on Talk.apk and rename it to Talk.apk1

RootExplorer.jpg

Fig. 2 - You should now have both talk2.apk and talk.apk1 as shown above

9. Long Click on Talk2.apk and select permissions

permissions.jpg

Fig. 3 - Permissions should be as above

10. Alter the permissions to the same as Fig. 3 above and OK it

11. Now navigate back to your extracted files and rename GoogleServicesFramework.apk to something like GoogleServicesFramework2.apk and then Copy it.

12. Navigate to system/app and then Paste it here

13. Rename the original GoogleServicesFramework.apk to GoogleServicesFramework.apk1

14. Now you can Rename the new GoogleServicesFramework2.apk to GoogleServicesFramework.apk

Services.jpg

Fig. 4 - Now you should have 2 GoogleServicesFramework files

15. Long Click on the new GoogleServicesFramework.apk and alter the permissions to the same as shown in Fig. 3 above and then OK it

16. Navigate back to your extracted files again and Copy libtalk_jni.so

17. Then navigate to /system/lib and press Mount R/W

18. Paste libtalk_jni.so here

19. Again, set the Permissions of libtalk_jni.so as shown in Fig. 3

20. Reboot your phone...

21. Open up Talk, click on your own avatar and make sure Allow video and voice chats is enabled

22. Test out chat to make sure audio/video is working both ways...

23. Done!

A big thanks to britoso for posting this and I2asta for the root explorer intstructions!!
    Look here!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1102525
    Tested and working great but you need ROOT for this!
    Don't get scared if you will get 0 contacts after reboot, just re-add Google Account! :)
    What is the different between talk1.3.nowifi.update-signed.zip and gapps.zip? Is it the same? Just curious.

I believe the one in gapps only works with wifi and the nowifi version works over 3G too...
    I tried this the first time and it worked a charm, now my contacts won't appear and I get a spinning circle in the top right corner next to my email. Any suggestions?

Look 6 posts up! :)
    Anyway...just re-add your Google account in Settings - Accounts and Sync