[APP][ROOT]Nexus 10 Display Scaler v2.0 (JUNE 1st)

Search This thread

nex7er

Feb 3, 2008
Bergen
NEXUS 10 DISPLAY SCALER
PyauSSF.jpg

This app is meant for those of us who connects their device to their TV.

Most TVs nowadays run a 16:9 1920x1080 resolution, yet our device exceeds that with its glorious 16:10 2560x1600 resolution display. This creates a problem when mirroring, effectively giving you a smaller screen to interact with upon mirroring.

This app changes that.

I made this app so it would be easier for people when wanting to mirror their screen. Whether it be to a 1080p TV or a 900p display. I've added quite a few options, mainly the most common 16:10 and 16:9 resolutions below 1600 short-side. This way you'll be able to stick your N10 on to a 1280x800 16:10 office projector or your home cinemas 1080p projector/display.

Another problem which arises for those without Paranoid Android; Phone UI. Phone UI gets called upon changing to anything below 1440 short-side. I have no clue why, and I'm not going to go through the rabbit hole of understanding why either. That's why I added a button to reapply Phablet mode. This doesn't apply to users of PA that use Tablet mode as ro.sys.tablet does not work with AOSP 4.2.2. If you're running PA with Tablet enabled, just load up the preference manager for PA and enable it through there.

DOWNLOAD
Download the app from HERE.
Updated June 1st
v2.0 is publishing now. New layout, blah blah - read changelog that pops up..

v1.3 is publishing now. Includes harsher resets for people who somehow stumble upon an issue or two. Also added changelog popup.

v1.2 is publishing now.

v2 is in the making. New UI following the Google guidelines.

TODO:
Code:
[LIST]
[*][I]DPI Selector[/I] * [B]DONE[/B]
[*]HDMI Detection
[*]More supported devices
[/LIST]

This IS my first app, so be patient. :)

Last edited:

ThugosaurusRex

Apr 4, 2013
NEXUS 10 DISPLAY SCALER
utwss2G.png

Most TVs nowadays run a 16:9 1920x1080 resolution, yet our device exceeds that with its glorious 16:10 2560x1600 resolution display. This creates a problem when mirroring, effectively giving you a smaller screen to interact with upon mirroring.

This app changes that.

I made this app so it would be easier for people when wanting to mirror their screen. Whether it be to a 1080p TV or a 900p display. I've added quite a few options, mainly the most common 16:10 and 16:9 resolutions below 1600 short-side. This way you'll be able to stick your N10 on to a 1280x800 16:10 office projector or your home cinemas 1080p projector/display.

Another problem which arises for those without Paranoid Android; Phone UI. Phone UI gets called upon changing to anything below 1440 short-side. I have no clue why, and I'm not going to go through the rabbit hole of understanding why either. That's why I added a button to reapply Phablet mode. This doesn't apply to users of PA that use Tablet mode as ro.sys.tablet does not work with AOSP 4.2.2. If you're running PA with Tablet enabled, just load up the preference manager for PA and enable it through there.

DOWNLOAD

TODO:
Code:
[LIST]
[*]DPI Selector
[*]HDMI Detection
[/LIST]

Thanks for your hard work :D

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: IDontKnow666

sbradymobile

Mar 1, 2011
Not sure if you need any help but for the HDMI detection you will want to register an intent filter for "android.intent.action.HDMI_PLUGGED" and then getBooleanExtra("state", false) in the broadcast receiver. The display density can be changed with "am display-density".

Reactions: nex7er

nex7er

Feb 3, 2008
Bergen
Hey, man!

Yeah I was looking through your source code for ideas, but I am extremely new (Been at it for maybe 3 days?) at this so I did not understand anything in it. I wish I did, but alas.

I've added a DPI selector as well as a new layout while figuring out how Fragments work. It doesn't follow the android guidelines very much (and looks horrid, but better than the current one), but once I finish the XMLs for this version and drink some coffee I'll try again. :) I would really like a layout like yours as well as an independent DPI-selector where the user can input it themselves instead of going by mine (320 - 180 by 20 increments). I just don't understand booleans I guess.

By the way, I like your shell command way better than mine. Mine reveal the commands upon toast (su -c *cmd*). If I remove "-c" it won't show up on the SuperSU toast, however, then SU only runs once.

It took me several hours just to get my implementation of SU running with fragments. I feel more for developers now. :p No wonder they hate piracy.

Wow this has been a rambling. Chalk it up to eight cups of coffee in the last 10 hours. Lol.

tulkas84

Dec 15, 2008
How can I restore my screen to the default settings? I select 2560x1600 but every icon get small than before.

Thanks!

nex7er

Feb 3, 2008
Bergen
How can I restore my screen to the default settings? I select 2560x1600 but every icon get small than before.

Thanks!

Smaller than before? Are you sure you're not in the DPI tab? I've tested this on five different Nexus 10s and this hasn't happened once. I will upload v1.3 with an added reset button.

EDIT ADD: I've replicated your issue. Just hit the FIX button after choosing 1600p and 320 DPI.

EDIT ADD2: Version 1.3 is publishing now with harsh resets in case someone screws up something. Luckily they just do a softreboot like the FIX button, not a full reboot. :) Also added change logs!

Last edited:
Reactions: tulkas84

gogorman

Dec 12, 2010
I can't get this working for some reason.
The resolution certainly changes when I select 1920x1080 but the buttons at the bottom disappear and don't come back. Also, a black bar border appears at the right side.
When I hit fix it does nothing. I have to reboot.
Any idea?
Do I have to choose a different DPI?

Reactions: vontexx

cgollner

Jan 19, 2012
Lisbon
Just downloaded and it's working pretty well!

Changed the resolution and then lowered the DPI and it's working like a charm :)

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
Hi,

- Is this app compatible with 4.3?
- What should I choose in density settings and why doesn't the app chooses it automatically according to the resolution I set?

Thanks!

Animor

Jun 29, 2012
While you are waiting for this app to be updated you can use the script in this link. It was updated to support 4.2.2 and 4.3 dynamically and also includes density changes to make everything look nice.
Thank you :)
However, I would like an app that will switch resolution automatically upon connecting/disconnecting HDMI port. This app used to do so for 4.2.

Can the script you linked do it?

3DSammy

May 5, 2011
Toronto
Thank you :)
However, I would like an app that will switch resolution automatically upon connecting/disconnecting HDMI port. This app used to do so for 4.2.

Can the script you linked do it?

There is no automatic detection built into the script. Maybe combined with Tasker if that app can detect HDMI state. As I suggested, the script is only a hold over until this thread's app gets updated.

Reactions: Animor

gdemore

Nov 13, 2008
APK?

How can we download this APK? All links take you to the play store where it says item not found.

bee55

May 11, 2010
Does this app change the render resolution of the tablet completely? Because if it does, this could be used to play some more demanding games in 1280x800 to avoid lag or to be able to use high graphical settings.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NEXUS 10 DISPLAY SCALER
    PyauSSF.jpg

This app changes that.

DOWNLOAD
    Updated June 1st
    v2.0 is publishing now. New layout, blah blah - read changelog that pops up..

v1.3 is publishing now. Includes harsher resets for people who somehow stumble upon an issue or two. Also added changelog popup.

v1.2 is publishing now.

v2 is in the making. New UI following the Google guidelines.

TODO:
    Code:
    [LIST]
    [*][I]DPI Selector[/I] * [B]DONE[/B]
    [*]HDMI Detection
    [*]More supported devices
    [/LIST]

Soon. Waiting for a screen replacement for my rMBP. Did not take a backup of the most recent build to edit on my other computers, only old ones. :) give it a few days

Sent from my Nexus 13 with Tapatalk HD
    NEXUS 10 DISPLAY SCALER
    utwss2G.png

This app changes that.

DOWNLOAD

TODO:
    Code:
    [LIST]
    [*]DPI Selector
    [*]HDMI Detection
    [/LIST]

Thanks for your hard work :D

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app
    Not sure if you need any help but for the HDMI detection you will want to register an intent filter for "android.intent.action.HDMI_PLUGGED" and then getBooleanExtra("state", false) in the broadcast receiver. The display density can be changed with "am display-density".

Thanks!

Smaller than before? Are you sure you're not in the DPI tab? I've tested this on five different Nexus 10s and this hasn't happened once. I will upload v1.3 with an added reset button.

EDIT ADD: I've replicated your issue. Just hit the FIX button after choosing 1600p and 320 DPI.

EDIT ADD2: Version 1.3 is publishing now with harsh resets in case someone screws up something. Luckily they just do a softreboot like the FIX button, not a full reboot. :) Also added change logs!