[APP][ROOT/NONROOT][OFFICIAL] AdAway v5.3.0

PoedelPCS

Sep 14, 2011
Coesfeld
long not used app, but as I had to root my XiA0Mi Mi9 now I gave it another try - yes I know you can use it without root. I spent 2 hours now to get the AMAZ0N app working without success. I searched this thread for all posts with amazon in it and tried everything wiht rebooting the phone after setting the new host file. Nothing worked.
If I was the dev and read that many problems concerning the amazon app I would adjust the lists that it works out of the box - no offence! This is great work. It's just my approach.
Stay healthy!

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
long not used app, but as I had to root my XiA0Mi Mi9 now I gave it another try - yes I know you can use it without root. I spent 2 hours now to get the AMAZ0N app working without success. I searched this thread for all posts with amazon in it and tried everything wiht rebooting the phone after setting the new host file. Nothing worked.
If I was the dev and read that many problems concerning the amazon app I would adjust the lists that it works out of the box - no offence! This is great work. It's just my approach.
Stay healthy!
Did you disable Web server in AdAway and do you have redirection to 0.0.0.0 (not to 127.0.0.1)

x.trinity

Aug 12, 2016
Europe
Is there any way to gain all functional AdAway on non rooted device? Yes,it can be installed but when I perform an update, it reports that a system host file can't be modified, which is understandable, and I can't run AdAway to connect to the DNS server.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Is there any way to gain all functional AdAway on non rooted device? Yes,it can be installed but when I perform an update, it reports that a system host file can't be modified, which is understandable, and I can't run AdAway to connect to the DNS server.
For non-root, you must use VPN method. Uninstall and configure again (you must use 5.x, not the old v4), on first screen choose VPN

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
It's ver.5.2.1 which is quite understandable.
There is no VPN on first screen..
When you are installing first time, you have to choose

Uninstall or go to Settings/Apps, Clear Data, and configure again

If you don't believe, read Changelog for 5.x, or just read this thread back - it's been discusding here about the VPN for months

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
When you are installing first time, you have to choose

Uninstall or go to Settings/Apps, Clear Data, and configure again

If you don't believe, read Changelog for 5.x, or just read this thread back - it's been discusding here about the VPN for months
Just for future reference. I just got anew phone, and did not root it day one, but did install adaway, so went with VPN mode. So, does that mean that oif I do decide to flip over to Magisk hosts, I would need to re-install the app also?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Just for future reference. I just got anew phone, and did not root it day one, but did install adaway, so went with VPN mode. So, does that mean that oif I do decide to flip over to Magisk hosts, I would need to re-install the app also?
As I said, Clear Data for the app in Settings, open the app and you will go again through the beginning, choosing Hosts or VPN

Before you do that, you can Backup your Black and White list (Preferences Backup/Restore), hence you can keep them even when you swithch from VPN to Hosts or vice versa

x.trinity

Aug 12, 2016
Europe
As I said, Clear Data for the app in Settings, open the app and you will go again through the beginning, choosing Hosts or VPN

Before you do that, you can Backup your Black and White list (Preferences Backup/Restore), hence you can keep them even when you swithch from VPN to Hosts or vice versa
Oh yes, thanks...but at first launch there werent such offerings like VPN or Hosts..but after deleting cache/data Ive got everything working..

thomas140

Jul 3, 2018
Johor
I cannot use the XDA Developers app to view thread at all when turn on Adaway. It comes up with error.
Error Loading Page
Domain: Undefined
Error code: 3
Description: SSL error: The certificate authority is not trusted.

gaww

Oct 4, 2010
Asheville, NC
I cannot use the XDA Developers app to view thread at all when turn on Adaway. It comes up with error.
Error Loading Page
Domain: Undefined
Error code: 3
Description: SSL error: The certificate authority is not trusted.
I got the same thing, but only after changing it from VPN to hosts. I changed it back and no trouble.

Should hosts work ok with the above setting?

PieceKeepr

Jun 13, 2010
Florida
I have tried to figure this out for a few days now and haven't succeeded. I have Express VPN running on my PC, phone and tablet but the tablet is not rooted. I am using AdAway in VPN mode on the tablet and searching this thread seems to indicate that the two should work OK together, but they don't.

I have set AdAway to ignore Express VPN and have set Express VPN to ignore AdAway but I can only get one to run at a time. If Express VPN is active it shuts AdAway down and if I activate AdAway it disconnects Express VPN. Is there a setting that I am missing or am I mistaken about beng able to use both at the same time? The tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T510NZKGXAR) if it matters.

m0han

Apr 30, 2012
Reactions: PieceKeepr

ttesty

Dec 17, 2010
@PerfectSlayer @Vankog:

Can you add the CA cert member in:

static void tls_fn(struct mg_connection *c, int ev, void *ev_data, void *fn_data) {
if (ev == MG_EV_ACCEPT) {
struct settings *s = (struct settings *) fn_data;
struct mg_tls_opts tls_opts = {
.cert = s->ssl_cert,
.certkey= s->ssl_key

?

Getting this now:
=============================================
depth=0 CN = localhost.mydomain.com
verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify return:1
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate

Verification error: unable to verify the first certificate
=============================================

I overwrite localhost.crt and localhost.key with a CA signed certificate, which works, but can't verify its trust path because you're not accepting it. Maybe have a ca.crt option.. doesn't accept the bundled ca in localhost.crt.

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertPathValidatorException: Trust anchor for certification path not found.