[APP][ROOT/NONROOT][OFFICIAL] AdAway v5.4.0

fsi09

Nov 19, 2012
xda
It literally did nothing when I clicked on the Install button. It acted as if that button was disabled. Although the button looked like I could be able to click it. It was never installed.. so, its not in my app drawer or in the list of "All apps" in the app manager.
Use "ES file Explorer" from Google play store to install this.

annoyingduck

Aug 15, 2012
Boston, MA Area
Re: [APP] [UNOFFICIAL] AdAway v2.3

Be sure your old market version is uninstalled before installing this one, or it will hang when trying to install like what you've described.
If you did not have the market version installed and it still won't install, navigate to the downloaded apk through a file manager (not the downloads app), I use solid explorer, and click on it. It should then install without issues. If it does not, delete the apk and re download it.

n0j0e

May 9, 2009
Berlin
AW: [APP] [UNOFFICIAL] AdAway v2.3

@mkanet

This is most an app with screen filter like Lux Auto Brightness! Find the app, disable or kill and then you can push the install button.

* Send with much love & Android. *

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
Although it's nice that your compiling this I'll point out that the f-droid version is what the adaway dev suggested on his google code page....I also believe that version should have the same signature and be upgradable if it's the dev's signature.

Reactions: DJxSpeedy

~kyle

Feb 16, 2012
Tennessee
forum.xda-developers.com
Although it's nice that your compiling this I'll point out that the f-droid version is what the adaway dev suggested on his google code page....I also believe that version should have the same signature and be upgradable if it's the dev's signature.
True, and mrRobinson mentioned the f-droid version in the OP. But he also mentioned his reason for not doing that when he said, "It is available from F-Droid but I didn't want to install that just for this." I also didn't want to install f-droid just for this app and I appreciate having the option now not to.:)

Reactions: alexv59

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
Of course he'd want to suggest another market where you can get the app. He surely won't say "everyone go and compile your own copy now". :laugh:

And this version I posted will be upgradable as long as you keep getting from here as I won't be changing how I sign it.
Otherwise, yes what ~kyle reiterated and what I have in the OP is why I posted it.

Reactions: corsicanu

mkanet

Jul 31, 2010
I would have never imagined this was the cause! I disabled my "Screen Adjuster" utility (which correct RGB colors for my Note 2). That fixed the problem right away!! I could installed right after that.

BTW: I saw this app download and install a bunch of things related to the OS. If I dont like this app, how can revert back to EXACTLY how my system/app partions were before installing this. I'm very anal retentive when it comes to keeping the integrity of my OS after uninstalling apps (one of the reason why I dont like Windows apps leaving remnants behind after uninstalling apps). I want to make sure if I uninstall this app, my phone is exactly the way it was before installing it.

@mkanet

This is most an app with screen filter like Lux Auto Brightness! Find the app, disable or kill and then you can push the install button.

* Send with much love & Android. *

stab244

Dec 17, 2009
Bay Area

I would have never imagined this was the cause! I disabled my "Screen Adjuster" utility (which correct RGB colors for my Note 2). That fixed the problem right away!! I could installed right after that.

BTW: I saw this app download and install a bunch of things related to the OS. If I dont like this app, how can revert back to EXACTLY how my system/app partions were before installing this. I'm very anal retentive when it comes to keeping the integrity of my OS after uninstalling apps (one of the reason why I dont like Windows apps leaving remnants behind after uninstalling apps). I want to make sure if I uninstall this app, my phone is exactly the way it was before installing it.
In the app there is a revert button. Hit that then uninstall if you ever find the need to.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
True, and mrRobinson mentioned the f-droid version in the OP. But he also mentioned his reason for not doing that when he said, "It is available from F-Droid but I didn't want to install that just for this." I also didn't want to install f-droid just for this app and I appreciate having the option now not to.:)
If you go to the f-droid website every app's apk is directly downloadable without installing anything.

~kyle

Feb 16, 2012
Tennessee
forum.xda-developers.com
If you go to the f-droid website every app's apk is directly downloadable without installing anything.
You're correct, thanks for the info. Of course they do say:
NOTE: Although APK downloads are available below to give you the choice, you should be aware that by installing that way you will not receive update notifications, and it's a less secure way to download, especially if you are not currently using HTTPS. We recommend that you install the F-Droid client and use that.
Like I said, it's nice to have options...I chose this way. ;)

cheers!

Reactions: Weazmeister

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010

That is good to know. However the second reason I compiled which I also had in the OP but then removed when they updated, was fdroid had version 2.1 while the play store had 2.2 and I saw in the source 2.3. F DROID was outdated for a while and even at least a day after it was removed from play store. If I could have found a version 2.3 anywhere I'd have never ended up compiling it myself.
So now if the source gets changed I'm not waiting on F DROID to decide to get the update. However maybe now there is no play store involved F droid will update quicker. But we'll just have to find that out in the future.

Reactions: corsicanu
R

RenzkiPH

hi mrRobinson, can u attach the app please cant download because of stupid ad

Sent from my E10i using xda app-developers app

famewolf

Jul 14, 2006
That is good to know. However the second reason I compiled which I also had in the OP but then removed when they updated, was fdroid had version 2.1 while the play store had 2.2 and I saw in the source 2.3. F DROID was outdated for a while and even at least a day after it was removed from play store. If I could have found a version 2.3 anywhere I'd have never ended up compiling it myself.
So now if the source gets changed I'm not waiting on F DROID to decide to get the update. However maybe now there is no play store involved F droid will update quicker. But we'll just have to find that out in the future.

Your efforts ARE appreciated however from a security standpoint it's always better to get the app directly from the dev or authorized outlet vs any third party because there is always the risk (and I'm in no way saying you are doing this) that a third party could add their own code when doing the recompile and it would not be obvious if the user did not have a public git repo where the actual source/compile with timestamp was available to verify they were in sync.

Personally I had never heard of fdroid prior to the adaway/google play issue but I found it had a few of the other apps I use as well as a few new ones I've been playing with...I'd love to see it get used more to get past all the issues with google play pushing ads...telling folks apps are incompatible when they are not and preventing them from downloading when they know better (usually because they change the dpi of their device or the app says it requires touchscreen when it really doesn't because that flag is enabled by default [ an issue for all the android tv sticks who use the tv vs touchscreen]) and now their latest app exclusions.

Pons

Sep 2, 2010
from a security standpoint it's always better to get the app directly from the dev or authorized outlet vs any third party because there is always the risk (and I'm in no way saying you are doing this) that a third party could add their own code when doing the recompile and it would not be obvious if the user did not have a public git repo where the actual source/compile with timestamp was available to verify they were in sync.
Yes, it's always better to do that, but what's the difference between the OP here compiling and providing AdAway, versus the countless ROMs floating around xda which are tweaked stock ROM zips, or compiled from source? Those ROMs in question could be tweaked maliciously, too, yet a bunch of users download and flash it, just taking that devs word for it. In either event, you just have to either trust the compiler, or don't download and flash/install.

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
Your efforts ARE appreciated however from a security standpoint it's always better to get the app directly from the dev or authorized outlet vs any third party because there is always the risk (and I'm in no way saying you are doing this) that a third party could add their own code when doing the recompile and it would not be obvious if the user did not have a public git repo where the actual source/compile with timestamp was available to verify they were in sync.

Personally I had never heard of fdroid prior to the adaway/google play issue but I found it had a few of the other apps I use as well as a few new ones I've been playing with...I'd love to see it get used more to get past all the issues with google play pushing ads...telling folks apps are incompatible when they are not and preventing them from downloading when they know better (usually because they change the dpi of their device or the app says it requires touchscreen when it really doesn't because that flag is enabled by default [ an issue for all the android tv sticks who use the tv vs touchscreen]) and now their latest app exclusions.
Completely valid and understood point. You won't find me arguing against that. My only response would be what PonsAsinorem already said but that doesn't invalidate your point, it's simply my response to it. Those here are already flashing things not necessarily from the original creator. I'm not saying don't use F-Droid if you don't want to. I too have never heard of it until this. I don't know what they do or don't do to keep bad or malicious apps out of their store or any processes they have. I just know I didn't want to install one apk in order to get another apk. Especially when at that time the apk was 2 versions old. I also signed the apk and have a history here so I'd say my trust level would be a bit higher than someone who just signed up and posted something ;)

tyraelasd

Nov 28, 2010
Concepcion
Completely valid and understood point. You won't find me arguing against that. My only response would be what PonsAsinorem already said but that doesn't invalidate your point, it's simply my response to it. Those here are already flashing things not necessarily from the original creator. I'm not saying don't use F-Droid if you don't want to. I too have never heard of it until this. I don't know what they do or don't do to keep bad or malicious apps out of their store or any processes they have. I just know I didn't want to install one apk in order to get another apk. Especially when at that time the apk was 2 versions old. I also signed the apk and have a history here so I'd say my trust level would be a bit higher than someone who just signed up and posted something ;)
I trust you :)