[APP][ROOT/NONROOT][OFFICIAL] AdAway v5.4.0

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2013
Is that the only answer you can give? I would be a new user and I was worried. Seriously. I wasn't making fun of anyone. Thank you all the same.
You're right, no need to make fun of someone.
It's often said here on XDA: If you are not willing or able to help just ignore the post.

AdAway is a long used app and even the newer build (5.x) is tested by a lot of people (including me) and is also available on F-Droid where the source code is checked.
You have two positive results out of...25? Both are from relatively unknown security services. So you have a 99% chance that these are false positive results.
Maybe someone with more knowledge regarding the code of AdAway can explain why this happens but you can feel safe, no trojans or other stuff in AdAway.
Btw, for the moment the build on F-Droid isn't actual, the developer is working on it.
So when you want to use AdAway download it from it's own website which can be found in the OP.

drnightshadow

Dec 4, 2008
Is that the only answer you can give? I would be a new user and I was worried. Seriously. I wasn't making fun of anyone. Thank you all the same.
Don't get me wrong it was morning and I was drinking coffee and I saw your post about viruses. It was answered so many times. That why is soo funny. Thats it... nothing personal and on your report was, 2 funny antiviruses found virus, well 3rd classes AVs. Sorry im lool again while I'm writing last sentence. Funny AV, totally fake. Just relax it's not your fault why I was lool. You should be happy, it was AV reports fault for my lool.
I'm sorry if I insulted someone. Not meant to be that way. Sorry!
Good luck and stay safe!

Last edited:
Reactions: ipdev and Ebbasta

SpartaKurd

Jan 27, 2017
Earth
Hello guys, I'm on adaway 5.3.0 and OxygenOS 10.3.8. Right now, my adaway is working but not blocking ads on apps and web pages. When I was on OxygenOS 10.3.7 it was working good. What's the issues? How can I make it block adds again? Even right now, when I'm writing this message, I see adds on xda page.

Lvsitano

Jul 31, 2009
Hello guys, I'm on adaway 5.3.0 and OxygenOS 10.3.8. Right now, my adaway is working but not blocking ads on apps and web pages. When I was on OxygenOS 10.3.7 it was working good. What's the issues? How can I make it block adds again? Even right now, when I'm writing this message, I see adds on xda page.
I have exactly same issue, same Oxygen version, and previously working fine with Adaway.

Reactions: jfreund

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
In Chrome, Settings, disable Lite mode.
It will block ads if you are using AdAway in root mode (for root mode make sure that Systemless hosts are enabled in Magisk)

Make also sure that your custom ROM does not include private DNS for blocking ads - in that case, ask on their side why it doesn't work

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I can add a list of host sources to block each could have thousands of gosts listed. But from my understanding, I have to specifically allow explicit individual hosts.

Is there a way to allow a list of allowed hosts downloaded from a URL, in a similar manner to the list of blocked host sources?

At this stage, I have made a JSon file of the individual hosts to allow and imported it, but would prefer to have a single host source of allowed hosts.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
I can add a list of host sources to block each could have thousands of gosts listed. But from my understanding, I have to specifically allow explicit individual hosts.

Is there a way to allow a list of allowed hosts downloaded from a URL, in a similar manner to the list of blocked host sources?

At this stage, I have made a JSon file of the individual hosts to allow and imported it, but would prefer to have a single host source of allowed hosts.
If you mean using the Allowed list file, this is a known bug:
and:

Last edited:
Reactions: drnightshadow

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
If you mean using the local Allowed list file, this is a known bug (open for pretty long):
Yeah, that does appear to be what I am looking for. Thanks.

This actually brings something to the forefront that I haven't seen mentioned here before. I have a github account and as such I can upload a file (lets say an allow-list, or two), and I know the download from github (over https) is working for blocking.

So, would uploading my allow-list, of which could be many, broken up into their logical reasons eg amazon, and then creating it as an allow-list, would work? People could share the github links, as opposed to having files attached to posts, as I *thunk* I have seen.

Last edited:

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I just got off my .... and did a test. The list appear to have imported as allow lists, but in the front page in the "Allowed" box it shows "0". I guess I will have to try and modify one of the allow files and add a known ad source host, and see if its in the resultant block list. Or is this the behaviour I can expect? i.e. Allow lists do not show up in the "Allowed" box, but simply reduce the "Blocked" number; if it IS one of the hosts that are blocked in one of the other block lists.

ThatDamnFrog

Jan 3, 2021
So I'm a noob, and I got a few questions! (Hope I'm not writing to much)
1) Has anyone gotten ADAWAY to block ads in Youtube completetly(if so what filters?)
2) What exactly does "redirected hosts" mean, and can I just add any filterlist like easylist/fanboy's lists/HL2 >Do I need to enable allowed hosts to make them enforce?
>Or can I only use the ones on the adaway website
3) Can I use it to block trackers/Malware domains with some lists?
4) I read that I have to restart after doing a change for it to be "applied" is this true?
5) Do I need to have the adaway app open at all times? (From what I can see no?)
6) Everytime I reboot, some external sources show as "outdated" for example HL2 (Link to the list)
https://github.com/hl2guide/Filterlist-for-AdGuard
Is it suppose to be like this, if so what causes that. (I doubt its an update, since I doubt the list will update within 5s-1min it takes me to reboot the phone or close the app and reopen it)
7) Forgot to add this up-top, but will enabling redirected hosts for lists "improve the blocking" (currently I just enabled it for all default lists)
+Don't know if this is important but it's installed on a Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC, rooted with ResurrectionRemix
Thanks in advance!

marcowqx

Dec 13, 2020
For me this app don't work, i have installed all the necessary... For exemple on youtube don't work and all sites too.
I use a samsung s8+ with root and android 9

Last edited by a moderator: