[APP][ROOT/NONROOT][OFFICIAL] AdAway v5.5.1

Search This thread

geokilla

Jun 5, 2010
Toronto
I whitelisted everything related to Pinnacle but it's still blocking the mobile set and it isn't loading properly. Is whitelisting broken? Or do you think I need to whitelist something else?

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
I whitelisted everything related to Pinnacle but it's still blocking the mobile set and it isn't loading properly. Is whitelisting broken? Or do you think I need to whitelist something else?
Depending on the version you are running, (should be 3.3 in the OP or 4.0.7 somewhere in the thread) whitelisting is fine. There was a 4 beta version where whitelisting was broken.

It's probably that the domain you need to allow is not obviously related to the app. Generally you should enable everything in the log after opening the app. Once it works, you can go back and remove things from the whitelist. Liberal use of list exports can help.

"find somebody that you think is undeserving of your compassion and give it to them" - Christian Picciolini

Reactions: geokilla

makinapufterpup

Nov 16, 2014
New England
@PerfectSlayer I am having a strange issue with your latest version of Adaway that I have never had before. First of all, I must state that for months I have been using and testing unofficial versions of Magisk built by both @kantjer and @ianmacd that have @topjohnwu 's latest commits. On one of my 4 devices I have also been testing your beta releases.
After I install todays release of Magisk and later installed your latest release, I was stuck forever applying the host file so I closed and reopened Adaway and it was then that I noticed that root was denied.

I just fresh installed Magisk 5.8.3 and AdAway 4.0.7 today on stock Oreo 8.1 on Xiaomi MI A1.

On AdAway first run, when I was applying the host file, I, too, was stuck forever. There was no prompt for me to allow AdAway root access. I ended up killing AdAway.

Then was curious if something happened in Magisk. Looked in the superuser list, and discovered that AdAway was in the list and it's toggle was set to off/deny. (Note that I did previously approve other apps with Magisk and other apps did prompt for that approval.)

After i enabled the toggle, allowing the app root access, I ran AdAway again, and successfully applied the host file.

I don't know if it was a problem with Magisk or with AdAway. But the fix was a simple solution. Since it was only reported one other time, maybe it's more of a fluke than a bug? ;)

geokilla

Jun 5, 2010
Toronto
Depending on the version you are running, (should be 3.3 in the OP or 4.0.7 somewhere in the thread) whitelisting is fine. There was a 4 beta version where whitelisting was broken.

It's probably that the domain you need to allow is not obviously related to the app. Generally you should enable everything in the log after opening the app. Once it works, you can go back and remove things from the whitelist. Liberal use of list exports can help.

I'm using 4.0.7 and Pinnacle is a website, not an app. There were some logs that looked like it was for Google and Facebook which was weird. I'll try whitelisting everything and give that a try.

PerfectSlayer

Aug 8, 2010
blog.hardcoding.fr
Hi all,

Two weeks since the last dev version. I had the time to have a look and work on your feedback.
About the hosts update status, I add the date information. Now, you will be able to know if you are up-to-date or not, since when, or when was the last update you miss.
About the welcome card, I add an option to dismiss it. The help now also accessible from the menu drawer.
About missing translations, @Vankog push a lot of updates from Transifex. Don't hesitate to update your language from Transifex.
I also keep improving under the hood behavior. I replace Evernote Android-Jobs by the Jetpack Work manager. It should provide a more maintainable way to run the update service accord the different versions of Android.

And I just improve the overall project documentation on GitHub. There is now some new guides:
* Contribution guide,
* Translation guide (from @Vankog),
* Licenses notes.
More are coming but I will need few more free time... I hope it will encourage you to be involve in the project! :victory:

I agree, and I'd like to keep it as-is. The problem isn't the name, it's the descriptor(s):
F-Droid: AdAway - Block advertisements
XDA thread: [APP][Root][2.1+][OFFICIAL] AdAway v3.3 :: [03.07.2018]

If I didn't know what AdAway really was, I'd guess that it was a full-on ad blocker, based-on the descriptors. Skimming through the OP, the description is sandwiched between a number of other sentences; it's not broken-out.

Looking at some other sites for other non-descriptive app names, the app always carries a "tag" that enhances or conveys the purpose of the app. The app name, along with that descriptor, is either in the title bar of the web page or right at the top of the home page (sometimes in the graphic):

GIMP - The Free & Open Source Image Editor
Pidgin, the universal chat client
Snapchat - the fastest way to share a moment
ImageGlass - A lightweight, versatile image viewer
VLC media player
CCleaner - Speed up & Optimize your PC with CCleaner
Greasemonkey - Customize the way a web page displays or behaves, by using small bits of JavaScript.

Users don't have to guess what the apps above do; it's right up-front.

Maybe something like:
F-Droid: AdAway - A hosts file management tool
XDA thread: [APP][Root][2.1+][OFFICIAL] AdAway hosts file management tool v3.3 :: [03.07.2018]
Agreed! "Hosts file manager" well defined what AdAway does but not what it is mainly used for.
So maybe we should mix the both definitions into something like: "AdAway: ad-blocker and hosts file manager"?

webserver get killed when AdAway removed from recents. please add a background process for webserver.

On Oreo 8.1 Using Systemless host mode
Hum, it is already a background process
I tried to reproduce on my device and the webserver binary is not killed when AdAday is removed from recent apps.
If anyone can confirm the behavior (working or not), it could be useful.

It may not be where you would expect it, but listing the version number in help -> about is exactly where most apps have it.

If I was going to suggest a tweak, instead of a card on the main screen to access help, I'd like a menu entry for help. This however, is personal choice and nit picky.

I'm just grateful for the continued support and development for Adaway. [emoji106]
You're welcome! And you can now find the Help in the menu drawer.

Hey, I just jumped on the Beta train on my OP6, and had a couple thoughts.

a) can we have a way to dismiss the welcome card?
Here it is! There is now a preference to dismiss it.

Changelog:

• Add option to dismiss welcome card,
  • Improve hosts update status,
  • Change background job dependency from Evernote Android Job to Jetpack Work manager,
  • Update translations.

Download:

AdAway 4.0.8 on AndroidFileHost (md5: 9d1619a1476204e03e1364dd73fa0744)

(Oh yeah, and we hit the 1000th commit on GitHub :laugh:)

Last edited:

oroboros74

Jan 3, 2013
Changelog:

Add option to dismiss welcome card,
Improve hosts update status,
Change background job dependency from Evernote Android Job to Jetpack Work manager,
Update translations.

Download:

AdAway 4.0.8 on AndroidFileHost (md5: 9d1619a1476204e03e1364dd73fa0744)

(Oh yeah, and we hit the 1000th commit on GitHub :laugh:)
It's great to see this being continually developed like this! Thank you!!

Would it be possible / interesting to make it so that you can tap the update icon (when hosts need updating) to initiate an update? I've found myself continuously tapping on that.

Thanks always!

Reactions: kantjer

peterlee928

Oct 16, 2014
tl:dr. sorry! i have 8 host sources. only 6 out of them get regular updates. (i don't check daily.)
could anyone explain if there is anything abnormal about the other two? or, should i just wait? i'm on 4.0.7.

edit: the screenshot doesn't seem to be getting displayed. the host sources that don't get updated are: http://sbc.io/hosts/hosts and http://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.txt
im also on 4.0.7, and the sbc.io/hosts/hosts still doesnt show that its getting updated. is anyone else experiencing this?

androcraze

Jan 11, 2013
Agreed! "Hosts file manager" well defined what AdAway does but not what it is mainly used for.
So maybe we should mix the both definitions into something like: "AdAway: ad-blocker and hosts file manager"

"AdAway, blocking ads via hosts-file management"
"AdAway, blocking ads through hosts-file management"
"AdAway: the ad-blocking, hosts-file management toolbox"
"AdAway, killing ads though a hosts-file manager"
"AdAway, the hosts-file ad-blocker"
"AdAway, annihilating ads through a hosts-file"
"AdAway, please try and read our wiki even though you probably won't"

Last edited:

c3poo

Oct 3, 2011
españa
hello to all, when I try to enter webs with the browser it indicates me error, how can I solve it? without deactivating it? I am sorry if it is answered.

Last edited:

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
is anyone here following @PerfectSlayer on androidfilehost?

I followed him last night,
so I will receive an email whenever he posts an update, right?
That's the theory [emoji846] in practice, with other developers whom I follow, I never get updates.
hello to all, when I try to enter webs with the browser it indicates me error, how can I solve it? without deactivating it? I am sorry if it is answered.
This is a vague complaint.

If you are getting a page can't load error, then whitelist that page. A how-to is on the Adaway wiki.

If every page in a browser (e.g. google.com) is blocked only when Adaway is enabled, then your hosts sources are blocking something you need to access the internet. Try using only the basic sources that came with Adaway in case it's due to one you added. Or uncheck all sources, then re-apply Adaway to get a very basic hosts file.

You could turn on "debugging to log" in Adaway preferences and capture a logcat while visiting the problem site(s). Then look through the logcat to see if you can figure out what is happening.

If you continue to have trouble, please be much more specific; what site(s) don't work, your cell carrier, your country, the hosts sources you're using and do you have a blacklist.

"find somebody that you think is undeserving of your compassion and give it to them" - Christian Picciolini

c3poo

Oct 3, 2011
españa
That's the theory [emoji846] in practice, with other developers whom I follow, I never get updates. This is a vague complaint.

If you are getting a page can't load error, then whitelist that page. A how-to is on the Adaway wiki.

If every page in a browser (e.g. google.com) is blocked only when Adaway is enabled, then your hosts sources are blocking something you need to access the internet. Try using only the basic sources that came with Adaway in case it's due to one you added. Or uncheck all sources, then re-apply Adaway to get a very basic hosts file.

You could turn on "debugging to log" in Adaway preferences and capture a logcat while visiting the problem site(s). Then look through the logcat to see if you can figure out what is happening.

If you continue to have trouble, please be much more specific; what site(s) don't work, your cell carrier, your country, the hosts sources you're using and do you have a blacklist.

I understand, but I've already put those websites and it does not work.thaks

Enviado desde mi SM-G955F mediante Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Here is a quick update that improves the app update screen, validates domain redirection and fixes a crash with VPN using IPv6 DNS. Nothing exceptional but it is always welcome.

On a personal note, I will take few weeks off the project as my doctor ask me to do because I suffer from burnout.
    The project is not abandoned but I think it is healthier to me to step aside a moment until I take time to focus on myself and honestly evaluate if AdAway brings me more stress than pleasure.

So don't expect me to handle the umpteenth question about YouTube history or some wrong text alignment GitHub issue soon! (but accessibility is an other and real subject, don't get me wrong here ;))

Changelog:
    • Add redirection validation
    • Improve application update screen
    • Update Android gradle plugin
    • Update NDK
    • Update dependencies
    • Fix VPN crash when the only system DNS server available uses IPv6 and IPv6 is disabled from settings
    • Remove html
    • textview dependency and jcenter repository

Special thanks to FrostbiterTy, SapphireExile, zgfg for their bug reports.

Download:

AdAway 5.5.1
    Hi all,

I hope your are all going well.
    I get a new version for you that addresses a long running issue: being able to allow hosts from your sources! 😊
    For this occasion, I reworked the source UI in order to select the type of list you use:
    • Block list (ie hosts file, so an IP than a hostname per line)
    • Allow list (a hostname per line)
    Here is the result:

1615998465729.png

I got some other bugs fixed too, like TLS issue with web server thanks to the new mongoose version and a no internet connection issue on source update check when the application can't check any last modified date.

On top of that, I merged more than a hundred PR of translations. So thanks to all the translators!
    I also had a sixth GitHub sponsor yesterday 🥰 and I enjoy to read all your nice words in the donation comments. Thanks a ton for your support! 🤗

Changelog:
    • Add allow list support
    • Improve source edition UI
    • Improve source update check
    • Improve animations
    • Update mongoose web server
    • Update dependencies
    • Fix web server TLS issue

Special thanks to gallegonovato, jawz101 and zgfg for their bug reports.

Download:

AdAway 5.5.0
    On a personal note, I will take few weeks off the project as my doctor ask me to do because I suffer from burnout.
    I wish you the very best. Please really follow the advice of your doctor! Real life comes very first!
    We're looking forward to seeing you back in the best condition, whenever that is. It's your decision, and please "play" very carefully or better not at all with your health.
    Thanks very much indeed for everything that you contribute to us and the whole XDA community! Your "products" are examplary, and your permanent support (from which you now probably suffer) has always been absolutely excellent. I couldn't and wouldn't use a device without YOUR AdAway! A very personal thank you from my side.
    Take care, stay safe, stay healthy!

Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    Hi all,

Here is a quick update that improves the app update screen, validates domain redirection and fixes a crash with VPN using IPv6 DNS. Nothing exceptional but it is always welcome.

Take care @PerfectSlayer ! Everything is nothing without health (I know what I'm talking about).
    All the best for you, sometimes you have to set priorities.
    Hi all,

I hope your are all going well.
    I get a new version for you that addresses a long running issue: being able to allow hosts from your sources! 😊
    For this occasion, I reworked the source UI in order to select the type of list you use:
    • Block list (ie hosts file, so an IP than a hostname per line)
    • Allow list (a hostname per line)
    Here is the result:

View attachment 5252635

I got some other bugs fixed too, like TLS issue with web server thanks to the new mongoose version and a no internet connection issue on source update check when the application can't check any last modified date.

On top of that, I merged more than a hundred PR of translations. So thanks to all the translators!
    I also had a sixth GitHub sponsor yesterday 🥰 and I enjoy to read all your nice words in the donation comments. Thanks a ton for your support! 🤗

Changelog:
    • Add allow list support
    • Improve source edition UI
    • Improve source update check
    • Improve animations
    • Update mongoose web server
    • Update dependencies
    • Fix web server TLS issue

Special thanks to gallegonovato, jawz101 and zgfg for their bug reports.

Download:

AdAway 5.5.0
    Tested with the local Allowed file, working fine - thanks
    icon.png
    AdAway

AdAway is an open source ad blocker for Android using the hosts file.

Google Play Store notice:

According the Google Play Developer Policy, especially the "Device and Network Abuse" section, ad blocker like AdAway violates the "Apps that block or interfere with another app displaying ads." rule and can't be distributed on distributed on the Play Store.
    As Free and Open Source Software, AdAway is available from F-Droid Store or this XDA thread :good:

Requirements:

This application requires Android 8 or above and does no more require root.

For older Android versions, a rooted device is required.

Changelog:

If you don't want to read each announce post of this thread, you can:

Downloads:

Stable versions are available on F-Droid Store and below:

Beta versions are available on XDA development thread only:

AdAway 5.0.10

Problem? Read this:

* If you use Chrome and still see ads on web pages, remember to disable the "data saver" or "reduced data usage" browser option
    * Check your APN settings for any proxy, the proxy itself could be allowing ads. Disable the proxy.
    * After you install or make any change to AdAway, you must reboot for those changes to take effect
    * If you are still having issues please read and understand all the info in the wiki before asking for help here

Otherwise, this is the right thread to discuss about it or file a bug report here.

Contributors:

PerfectSlayer, Vankog, jawz101
    Source Code: https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway
    Hi all,

A new year is coming and I wish you all to have nice holidays :victory:

Just few words about this ending year. There was about 12 releases in 2019 which brings you a new UI, a lot of bug fixes, Android 10 support, Gist and GitLab hosting support and better Magisk support.
    All of this is possible thanks to the community to help users to discover the app, learn how to use it and report any new bug and also your moral, nice words and thanks you can send to me, and financial support.
    Thanks a lot for all donators, GitHub sponsor and the Pixel 2 you sent me to test Android 10 support.

For the next year, I hope to release the next version (V5), at least in beta to start. It's been 9 months since its first lines of code and things are working quite nicely.
    It aims to make the app simpler to use for the main use cases, support rooted and non rooted devices and remove old hacks/workaround which are no more needed on recent setups.

But before this big next update, I still have time to fix current issue with a new release :p

Changelog:
    • Fix GitLab hosting support (commit date parsing failed)
    • Translation update

Special thanks to @gallegonovato for its helpful bug report and @Vankog for translation update.

Download:

AdAway 4.3.2 on AndroidFileHost (md5: 78fde09a0e92044c45e901bb1cec8e2e)
    Hi all,

Long time no see! It's been more than two months since the last update.
    I can't say I was not active on the project as I start working on a new version (5.x.y) as a side project.
    I won't share the source code yet as it is not ready at all and I don't want to give an ETA but this new version targets the following goals:
    • 1. Revamp the UI
    • 2. Clean up old support
    • 3. Address one of the main drawback of the app

1. The card based UI does not feel right. Welcome card takes too much space, update button / status has a lot of critic. I guess I can do better.
    I started a new simpler and lighter design which provide the most useful information on home screen and all main actions to trigger in one tap (no more burger menu).
    It is still under heavy development but I hopefully get a friend onboard, specialized in graphics and design, to help me :highfive:

2. In order to simplify the development, I clean up the app and remove support for old features.
    I bump target SDK version so I finally get Java 8 language feature (it was released 5y ago…) and move to topjohnwu root library (instead of home made one). It means systemless support is now handled by Magisk and other root solutions will still work.

3. Think of what prevent most of users to use AdAway? Now it's gone!
    It's not gone forever. It's still here but there will be a fallback to workaround it.
    I won't tell more until the first public beta but I guess you get the point :fingers-crossed:

In the meanwhile, here is a new version!

Is anyone using a hosts list hosted on Gitlab? It keeps showing "Unknown update status".
    GitLab, like GitHub do not set LastModified HTTP header so update status is not supported... yet!

Changelog:
    • Add Gist and GitLab hosting support for hosts file
    • Add option to set default IPv6 redirection
    • Improve reboot command
    • Improve UI for overlays
    • Update translations

Special thanks to @MSF Jarvis and ralayax for theirs contributions and @andy356 for its helpful bug report.

Download:

AdAway 4.2.5 on AndroidFileHost (md5: ab81225745afaaa7646024109de299c0)
    Hi all,

Hmm, not working for me for this URL, v4.1.0 shows something like not updated in -360 days (some large negative value). Can you please see if you can reproduce?
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/alternates/fakenews-gambling-porn/hosts
    It works well here. I failed to reproduce as I change the HTTP client library and how I use it.
    But update date for the source you link definitely works now.

All the F-Droid apps I know of have manual push updates to the store.

Isn't automatic build basically for nightlies?
    Not really. You could choose a lot of different mode.
    For example, F-Droid server watches AdAway GitHub repository to find tags which match a specific versioning pattern.

I exist still... do you know what i have to do to transfer ownership? if i edit project it doesn't let me change the primary author so i assume i have to PM some higher up to make this happen?
    Thank you so much! :highfive:

This is now done, @PerfectSlayer is the OP of this thread.
    Thank you too!

Changelog:
    • Add hosts source download cache
    • Add snackbar notification to update host from DNS request listing
    • Update UI from Material Design to Material Theming
    • Update gradle, plugins and dependencies
    • Fix crash parsing not defined host source last modified date
    • Fix native modules build script (required for F-Droid build server)
    • Fix Transifex issues

Special thanks to all recent donators! Your help is really appreciated :good:

Download:

AdAway 4.2.0 on AndroidFileHost (md5: 023169e7c345ef7297095793024f8478)
    Hi all,

After receiving a lot of bug reports about the translation issue with the menu drawer, I finally take time to try to fix it (my holidays just start ;))
    So I fix all incomplete string-array issues the best I could (I can't really understand all languages the app has) but you should get at least all menu entries.
    If some of them are switched or mislabeled, it could be fixed by a translation update. I hope it will encourage translators to patch it when needed (whereas a missing entry could be easily missed).

I also improve the "not enough space" dialog error.
    It will now display a more detailed message, like failed to mount as rw, which leads to no space to write hosts file.

Finally, I removed the telemetry startup message (for F-Droid opt-in users only) to replace them by app update only.
    It allows me to understand which versions of the app are installed on which Android platforms.
    (let's say there is a new target version available and I would like to know if I should spend hours to migrate right now or wait few months until more dev feedback becomes available ^^')

Changelog:
    • Improve hosts file parsing
    • Improve hosts file install error message (add more details than not enough space)
    • Fix menu drawer translation issue
    • Update translations
    • Replace startup (opt-in only) telemetry messages by app update only

Special thanks to @yky for its helpful bug report, @ipdev for gifting me XDA Ad-Free for one full year :highfive: and to all other donators.

Download:

AdAway 4.2.9 on AndroidFileHost (md5: 36a19c1d6208a8522025637182a400a7)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone