[APP][ROOT/NONROOT][OFFICIAL] AdAway v5.6.0

Search This thread

zgfg

• Oct 10, 2016
    What exactly does that module do?
    On the most new phones (particularly A10 and newer) your system is read-only (despite of rooting the phone).
    If not familiar with, read in this thread, in Magisk general thread, Magisk documentation, google, etc, about the systemless root

In that case, Adaway cannot write to /system/etc/hosts, and instead Magisk will provide /data/adb/modules/hosts/system/etc/hosts file.
    AdAway will write to that file instead, and Magisk will mount that to the real /system/etc/hosts file, to make ad-blocking working

For the non-root AdAway mode it's not needed, then Magisk uses virtual VPN instead of writing to hosts file

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Recognized Translator
    Staff member
    Same issue. How do I disable webserver??
    I hope the attached screenshots are self-explaining. Please refer to SS #4 - #6: At "Local web server" untick "Enable web server".
    Screenshot_20210419-094344_AdAway.pngScreenshot_20210419-094348_AdAway.pngScreenshot_20210419-094353_AdAway.pngScreenshot_20210419-094358_AdAway.pngScreenshot_20210419-094409_AdAway.pngScreenshot_20210419-094414_AdAway.png

Reactions: hacker812c

gonzo1963

Mar 25, 2013
    If AdAway can't download from all standard host sources there must be something that blocks the connection. VPN, Firewall or similar things installed?
    Good afternoon,
    I have nothing of what you mention installed.
    It is in the only smartphone in which this happens to me with that version of AdAway.
    Could it be that there is some problem in Android 4.4.4?, it is the only smartphone with that version of Android in which I have AdAway installed.

Regards

Wolfcity

Recognized Contributor
    Apr 26, 2013
    Bonn, Germany
    Moto G 2014
    Moto G5 Plus
    Good afternoon,
    I have nothing of what you mention installed.
    It is in the only smartphone in which this happens to me with that version of AdAway.
    Could it be that there is some problem in Android 4.4.4?, it is the only smartphone with that version of Android in which I have AdAway installed.

Regards
    I don't think the Android version (4.4.4) has something to do with it. As long you stay with versions below 5.x.x it should work. If you're rooted with Magisk have you installed the systemless hosts module which is inbuilt in Magisk? If you've done that maybe a newer version of 4.x.x AdAway will work, like AdAway 4.2.9:
    Or try an older build like 3.3. (it's for Android below 4.1 but who knows?)

horsefingers

Oct 3, 2015
    Hello, everyone

I dunno if this is the right place to ask this, but I have no access to internet after uninstalling AdAway 4.3.6 in a NON rooted 5.1 Android phone.

I installed it again, went to "open hosts file" and it only shows:

127.0.0.1 localhost

So, if my hosts file is write protected by default because I've never rooted it, why I can't access to internet after uninstalled AdAway? It's pretty weird.

NOTE: I also have another rooted phone with AdAway working fine, where it shows a second line in the hosts file:

:: 1 localhost

But I insist, it couln't delete that line or any other on my non-rooted one without root permissions.

I dont' know what to do. Please, help.
    Regards.

After 3 weeks without internet access after uninstalling AdAway, haven't found a solution yet. This was my original post.

Any help?

Nergal di Cuthah

Sep 20, 2013
    After 3 weeks without internet access after uninstalling AdAway, haven't found a solution yet. This was my original post.

Any help?
    Are you asking why those localhost entries are there, I didn't understand your initial post then or now, so i'm trying to clarify what your question is (other than you have no internet access) are you the one I asked to check your vpn setting on android settings? If so what was your reply I forget. But that's where I would look. Maybe reinstall adaway as vpn and then change vpn to something working or off then uninstall adaway.

JohnC

May 5, 2007
    Google Pixel 4a
    From what I understand, Adaway is able to do its job on "non-root" device by configuring your device to use a VPN (adaway's vpn).

So, if you uninstall Adaway and vpn is still on, you will not get internet because there is nothing on the vpn channel anymore. So, make sure your device is not configured to use a VPN (turn VPN off).

Sacob

Jan 8, 2011
    Yes, reinstall and take care that you choose the root install method.
    As far as I know AdAway doesn't trigger safetynet validation at all. There's only a handful of root apps (Titanium backup for example) that could trigger safetynet.
    Don't forget to activate systemless hosts module in Magisk and reboot before using AdAway.

Simply clearing AdAway data will trigger it to re-ask on your next startup.

I was on root method after all ahaha

I managed to go to user certificates and remove the one that this app prompted me to install. the warning is gone now :)

horsefingers

Oct 3, 2015
    Are you asking why those localhost entries are there, I didn't understand your initial post then or now, so i'm trying to clarify what your question is (other than you have no internet access) are you the one I asked to check your vpn setting on android settings? If so what was your reply I forget. But that's where I would look. Maybe reinstall adaway as vpn and then change vpn to something working or off then uninstall adaway.
    Yep, you told me to check my VPN settings, and this what I answered:

Went to Settings > Wireless & network > VPN

It says "No VPN networks" and there is the button "Add VPN network".

Doesn't seem to be anything unusual there. VPN is disabled.

How to reinstall AdAway as VPN? When I reinstall (or clear AdAway data) I just get a pop-up message if I want to help with telemetry.

AdAway 4.3.6
    Android 5.1

VPN mode comes only in AdAway 5.x and I can't install those versions on Android 5.1.

Last edited:

horsefingers

Oct 3, 2015
    I missed that part, then adaway, in my opinion, is definitely not the issue here; as on an unrooted phone with adaway 4.x adaway does nothing.
    That's the point. AdAway can not "touch" the host file if it isn't rooted, but the problem begun when I uninstalled it. I didn't install or uninstall another app.

It's pretty wierd and I dont' t know what to do, and don't want to do a factory reset either.

I think this is a message from God "come on, dude; it's time to buy a new phone".

Lorog

May 29, 2012
    Hi, I have latest v5.5.1 and I got an issue with the "DNS logs" view, it's always empty.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Does the fact that I use a Private DNS server have to do with it?
    Thanks

edit:

ok never mind, I've just found this!

horsefingers

Oct 3, 2015
    Fixed! I just connected to another wifi network, then connected to my main one, and the phone connects to internet perfectly now.

But now I'm having an issue on a 4.4 rooted Android that I use for testing. AdAway stopped blocking ads here suddenly.

On the main screen it shows this:

2021_04_22_14.18.05.jpg

In the hosts sources section shows "Unknown update status" on the 3 default sources, even if I check for updates:

2021_04_22_14.18.00.jpg

And finally, this is what my hosts file shows.

Seems like AdAway can modify it, but it just adds comment lines, and that's why the ads are not blocked:

2021_04_22_14.17.51.jpg

Surelly the solution should be something easy to do.

I tried to change network, reinstall AdAway, enabling/disabling ad-blocking, rebooting, etc, but couldn't make it works again.

Any suggestion?

Android 4.4 (rooted)
    AdAway 4.3.6

Last edited:

ipdev

Recognized Contributor
  • Feb 14, 2016
    Google Nexus 10
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Fixed! I just connected to another wifi network, then connected to my main one, and the phone connects to internet perfectly now.

But now I'm having an issue on a 4.4 rooted Android that I use for testing. AdAway stopped blocking ads here suddenly.

On the main screen it shows this:

View attachment 5287353

In the hosts sources section shows "Unknown update status" on the 3 default sources, even if I check for updates:

View attachment 5287365

And finally, this is what my hosts file shows.

Seems like AdAway can modify it, but it just adds comment lines, and that's why the ads are not blocked:

View attachment 5287367

Surelly the solution should be something easy to do.

I tried to change network, reinstall AdAway, enabling/disabling ad-blocking, rebooting, etc, but couldn't make it works again.

Any suggestion?

Android 4.4 (rooted)
    AdAway 4.3.6
    Had a little time to clean flash a device and do a quick test.
    I got the same results as you.
    Did not have time to test further.

I have not used system-root in quite awhile.
    Post 13,537 - Link

Quick testing was done on Nexus 7 (2013) WiFi.
    Files used:
    razor-ktu84p-factory-2482a7d5.zip
    (Google Factory Rom) SDK19 (Android 4.4.4)​
    twrp-3.5.2_9-0-flo_ipdev.img
    SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip
    AdAway-4.3.6-200726.apk

Will test a bit more tomorrow night and see what I need to do to get it working.

Cheers. :cowboy:

Avishay.a

Feb 22, 2013
    Hi,
    I have OnePlus 6T, until recently with an old Android version and an old Adaway version, and ad-blocking worked perfect.
    Yesterday I did a Factory Reset and updated the phone to the latest version which is OxygenOS 10.3.9 - Android 10.
    I've installed TWRP and Magisk , so the phone is rooted.
    After installing Adaway 5.5.1 ad-blocking does not work at all, in any app nor chrome.
    Someone have any idea or clue why?

Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      Hi all,

I'm still having a break but I put my hands in the code base from times to times to think about anything else than work.
      So no big update here. I mainly rework the DNS log feature that needed love for a long time.
      It could now be easily accessed from home screen and clearly states usage and limitation. I hope users will find it easier to use.

About VPN issues, the last updates bring a fix with IPv6 and a watchdog to enable in settings in order to mitigate VPN disconnections. It is quite hard to fix as I can't really reproduce and I don't get many logcats around here. But don't hesitate to discuss all together your problem here, a pattern might emerge.

Take care

Changelog:
      • Improve navigation by moving DNS logs to home screen
      • Improve DNS logs usage by explaining usage and limitation
      • Update dependencies
      • Update translations

Download:

AdAway 5.6.0
      I don't know if I should write it, sorry if this is off-topic, but didn't find a page where useful whitelists are posted for adaway

So, I had a problem logging in to my yahoo account on a fresher version of android.
      Found out, that one particular URL prevented that by being on the blacklist of an adblock, it was google analytics (o_O). Maybe it's somehow connected with access to google-accounts on the phone, maybe it prevents loading of login tab somehow otherwise

Next URLs was found into dns-trace of a freshly installed app just before hitting the login button (my adaway was switched off at this moment):
      ssl.google-analytics.com
      login.yahoo.com
      api.login.yahoo.com
      udc.yahoo.com
      s.yimg.com

After putting the first line into the whitelist, everything becomes okay after switching adaway back on.
      ...snip...

It turns out that today while reviewing the filters I have in Adaway, I noticed one thing. That inside AdAway I have:

StevenBlack

StevenBlack Complete

StevenBlack Unified Hosts

Is it just me or do I have StevenBlack hosts in triplicate?

...snip...
      I have gone down the path of better to add the block-list, than to investigate it further and thereby not add it. As such I have something like 60 host sources.

To better understand how these host sources overlap, I built a script that compares the contents between lists. Even lists from other unrelated sources could completely cover the other. For example, Steven Blacks list includes a bunch of other sources, so including the source list could be considered redundant (ignoring timings).

In the menu of my app TeMeFI, there are a few analysis items for AdAway, including "Currently Running>Hosts>AdAwau Info>Exclusive Hosts", which lists your hosts that have unique hosts items, not present in any other list sources. So its a possible comparison between lists not necessarily obviously related.

One thing to be weary of, is do not run these methods while adaway is updating the database.. Although it makes a copy of the AdAway database (and hence wont damage a live dB), if AdAway is processing it, the database copy will be malformed.

I just ran it on mine, and the steven black unified list, was the only one that came up with unique hosts. The other Steven blacks had no unique hosts. Which may be because of steven blacks "Unified" hosts, or the fact I have some really big other hosts host sources. There is also a method to compare individual lists against all others. But in my case, the database is so big, the shell commands have I/O errors.

01-UniquieHosts.PNG

So from the above, Steven Black Unified has only 143 hosts that are not in any other list. BUT those 143 may just be the 143 that allow my apps to source their ads from.

Due to my large lists (i have around 900k blocked hosts today), i do get a lot of I/O errors in the analysis. but using smaller lists, it should be OK.
      Thank you for the explanation.

So, Magisk will do this "mount" to update the real host file when my phone reboots?
      Yes
      so maybe i should reinstall it. does the root method triggers the safetynet validation?
      Yes, reinstall and take care that you choose the root install method.
      As far as I know AdAway doesn't trigger safetynet validation at all. There's only a handful of root apps (Titanium backup for example) that could trigger safetynet.
      Don't forget to activate systemless hosts module in Magisk and reboot before using AdAway.
      icon.png
      AdAway

AdAway is an open source ad blocker for Android using the hosts file.

Google Play Store notice:

According the Google Play Developer Policy, especially the "Device and Network Abuse" section, ad blocker like AdAway violates the "Apps that block or interfere with another app displaying ads." rule and can't be distributed on distributed on the Play Store.
      As Free and Open Source Software, AdAway is available from F-Droid Store or this XDA thread :good:

Requirements:

This application requires Android 8 or above and does no more require root.

For older Android versions, a rooted device is required.

Changelog:

If you don't want to read each announce post of this thread, you can:

Downloads:

Stable versions are available on F-Droid Store and below:

Beta versions are available on XDA development thread only:

AdAway 5.0.10

Problem? Read this:

* If you use Chrome and still see ads on web pages, remember to disable the "data saver" or "reduced data usage" browser option
      * Check your APN settings for any proxy, the proxy itself could be allowing ads. Disable the proxy.
      * After you install or make any change to AdAway, you must reboot for those changes to take effect
      * If you are still having issues please read and understand all the info in the wiki before asking for help here

Otherwise, this is the right thread to discuss about it or file a bug report here.

Contributors:

PerfectSlayer, Vankog, jawz101
      Source Code: https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway
      Hi all,

A new year is coming and I wish you all to have nice holidays :victory:

Just few words about this ending year. There was about 12 releases in 2019 which brings you a new UI, a lot of bug fixes, Android 10 support, Gist and GitLab hosting support and better Magisk support.
      All of this is possible thanks to the community to help users to discover the app, learn how to use it and report any new bug and also your moral, nice words and thanks you can send to me, and financial support.
      Thanks a lot for all donators, GitHub sponsor and the Pixel 2 you sent me to test Android 10 support.

For the next year, I hope to release the next version (V5), at least in beta to start. It's been 9 months since its first lines of code and things are working quite nicely.
      It aims to make the app simpler to use for the main use cases, support rooted and non rooted devices and remove old hacks/workaround which are no more needed on recent setups.

But before this big next update, I still have time to fix current issue with a new release :p

Changelog:
      • Fix GitLab hosting support (commit date parsing failed)
      • Translation update

Special thanks to @gallegonovato for its helpful bug report and @Vankog for translation update.

Download:

AdAway 4.3.2 on AndroidFileHost (md5: 78fde09a0e92044c45e901bb1cec8e2e)
      Hi all,

Long time no see! It's been more than two months since the last update.
      I can't say I was not active on the project as I start working on a new version (5.x.y) as a side project.
      I won't share the source code yet as it is not ready at all and I don't want to give an ETA but this new version targets the following goals:
      • 1. Revamp the UI
      • 2. Clean up old support
      • 3. Address one of the main drawback of the app

1. The card based UI does not feel right. Welcome card takes too much space, update button / status has a lot of critic. I guess I can do better.
      I started a new simpler and lighter design which provide the most useful information on home screen and all main actions to trigger in one tap (no more burger menu).
      It is still under heavy development but I hopefully get a friend onboard, specialized in graphics and design, to help me :highfive:

2. In order to simplify the development, I clean up the app and remove support for old features.
      I bump target SDK version so I finally get Java 8 language feature (it was released 5y ago…) and move to topjohnwu root library (instead of home made one). It means systemless support is now handled by Magisk and other root solutions will still work.

3. Think of what prevent most of users to use AdAway? Now it's gone!
      It's not gone forever. It's still here but there will be a fallback to workaround it.
      I won't tell more until the first public beta but I guess you get the point :fingers-crossed:

In the meanwhile, here is a new version!

Is anyone using a hosts list hosted on Gitlab? It keeps showing "Unknown update status".
      GitLab, like GitHub do not set LastModified HTTP header so update status is not supported... yet!

Changelog:
      • Add Gist and GitLab hosting support for hosts file
      • Add option to set default IPv6 redirection
      • Improve reboot command
      • Improve UI for overlays
      • Update translations

Special thanks to @MSF Jarvis and ralayax for theirs contributions and @andy356 for its helpful bug report.

Download:

AdAway 4.2.5 on AndroidFileHost (md5: ab81225745afaaa7646024109de299c0)
      Hi all,

Hmm, not working for me for this URL, v4.1.0 shows something like not updated in -360 days (some large negative value). Can you please see if you can reproduce?
      https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/alternates/fakenews-gambling-porn/hosts
      It works well here. I failed to reproduce as I change the HTTP client library and how I use it.
      But update date for the source you link definitely works now.

All the F-Droid apps I know of have manual push updates to the store.

Isn't automatic build basically for nightlies?
      Not really. You could choose a lot of different mode.
      For example, F-Droid server watches AdAway GitHub repository to find tags which match a specific versioning pattern.

I exist still... do you know what i have to do to transfer ownership? if i edit project it doesn't let me change the primary author so i assume i have to PM some higher up to make this happen?
      Thank you so much! :highfive:

This is now done, @PerfectSlayer is the OP of this thread.
      Thank you too!

Changelog:
      • Add hosts source download cache
      • Add snackbar notification to update host from DNS request listing
      • Update UI from Material Design to Material Theming
      • Update gradle, plugins and dependencies
      • Fix crash parsing not defined host source last modified date
      • Fix native modules build script (required for F-Droid build server)
      • Fix Transifex issues

Special thanks to all recent donators! Your help is really appreciated :good:

Download:

AdAway 4.2.0 on AndroidFileHost (md5: 023169e7c345ef7297095793024f8478)
      Hi all,

After receiving a lot of bug reports about the translation issue with the menu drawer, I finally take time to try to fix it (my holidays just start ;))
      So I fix all incomplete string-array issues the best I could (I can't really understand all languages the app has) but you should get at least all menu entries.
      If some of them are switched or mislabeled, it could be fixed by a translation update. I hope it will encourage translators to patch it when needed (whereas a missing entry could be easily missed).

I also improve the "not enough space" dialog error.
      It will now display a more detailed message, like failed to mount as rw, which leads to no space to write hosts file.

Finally, I removed the telemetry startup message (for F-Droid opt-in users only) to replace them by app update only.
      It allows me to understand which versions of the app are installed on which Android platforms.
      (let's say there is a new target version available and I would like to know if I should spend hours to migrate right now or wait few months until more dev feedback becomes available ^^')

Changelog:
      • Improve hosts file parsing
      • Improve hosts file install error message (add more details than not enough space)
      • Fix menu drawer translation issue
      • Update translations
      • Replace startup (opt-in only) telemetry messages by app update only

Special thanks to @yky for its helpful bug report, @ipdev for gifting me XDA Ad-Free for one full year :highfive: and to all other donators.

Download:

AdAway 4.2.9 on AndroidFileHost (md5: 36a19c1d6208a8522025637182a400a7)
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone