[APP][ROOT/NONROOT][OFFICIAL] AdAway v6.0.3

Search This thread

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
...snip...

In a previous post, I noted why I use AdAway's VPN mode on my main phone.
- Post # 16,628.

...snip...
One advantage for me using the VPN (non-root) mode instead of the hosts (root) mode.

My carrier (AT&T) ignores the local hosts file when Mobile Data is being used.
By using the VPN mode, AdAway block ads on both WiFi and Mobile Data.
...snip...
Ahhhhh... that explains something i saw happen on my old device, and worked around it / fixed it, but didnt really understand why; ie now I know it was the carrier :mad:. I added/edited DNS 's to my build prop. It was back in the day or R/W system and I did carpet bombing ie all I clould find, not targeted.
Attached is the log of one of the runs as a boot script. (which give's an idea of what the script does) I haven't recoded it for RO system. I also attached a version of the script as FYI. Its OLD, but at the time it fixed my host file not working on mobile data ; which really annoyed me.
EDIT: I think it reverted when I switched between WiFI and Mobile data. It was a while ago, but it worked for me

Attachments

• user_35dnsfixes.log
    4.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 35dnsfixes.zip
    1 KB · Views: 16

gallegonovato

Feb 25, 2021
Good afternoon:

A question, if I may.

It turns out that if you restart the mobile. In sd maid comes out that Adaway is running. Even having everything in Adaway settings so that it does not connect and update only disabled.

Having lineageos, latest version of adaway. And Magisk with systemlees.

Then I have Adaway's background data removed. And I use Afwall to allow or disallow connections.

Best regards and thanks for your help and time.

Nergal di Cuthah

Sep 20, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
And I use Afwall to allow or disallow connections.
How do you update hosts. This is likely why you have background data as adaway is trying to update runs into Afwall and keeps trying even though it won't be allowed. Typically a host update takes a few seconds or a couple minutes and the app goes back to being dormant. (this is just an educated guess but nonetheless )

gallegonovato

Feb 25, 2021
Good afternoon:

First of all thank you very much for your reply @Nergal di Cuthah.

It seems to me that I did not explain myself well.

After Adaway have finished the whole process (upgrade, create host, copy host), I always reboot the mobile. Since I have checked as if it settles better the Adaway process. That's why they always recommend to reboot from older versions. But I still leave the permissions enabled in Afwall, for Adaway.

But it happens to me even if I have not used Adaway or data (neither from my operator or wifi). And for example the battery runs out, and I charge the phone. Or sometimes in meetings they tell you to turn off the phone. I see that Adaway is running when I turn the phone back on. Without having active Adaway to update itself or other options.

I noticed that in sd maid, Adaway has permissions:

Power disconnected, power connected, action power disconnected and action power connected.

Then start with timezone changed and time set.

Then boot org.adaway.broadcast.BootReceiver

Which allows you to disable these options. As in app manader run in background or run any in background.

Or even in autostart it appears that adaway starts:

After startup , connectivity changed, bateria low or ok, storage ok, time changed y timezone changed, power connected y disconnected

So it may be due to the power and time permission.

Best regards

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Good afternoon:

First of all thank you very much for your reply @Nergal di Cuthah.

It seems to me that I did not explain myself well.

After Adaway have finished the whole process (upgrade, create host, copy host), I always reboot the mobile. Since I have checked as if it settles better the Adaway process. That's why they always recommend to reboot from older versions. But I still leave the permissions enabled in Afwall, for Adaway.

But it happens to me even if I have not used Adaway or data (neither from my operator or wifi). And for example the battery runs out, and I charge the phone. Or sometimes in meetings they tell you to turn off the phone. I see that Adaway is running when I turn the phone back on. Without having active Adaway to update itself or other options.

I noticed that in sd maid, Adaway has permissions:

Power disconnected, power connected, action power disconnected and action power connected.

Then start with timezone changed and time set.

Then boot org.adaway.broadcast.BootReceiver

Which allows you to disable these options. As in app manader run in background or run any in background.

Or even in autostart it appears that adaway starts:

After startup , connectivity changed, bateria low or ok, storage ok, time changed y timezone changed, power connected y disconnected

So it may be due to the power and time permission.

Best regards
If you run AdAway in non-root, then VPN must be always active (or you have to turn it manually on/off).
Also, for non-root mode, reboots are not needed

However, for the root mode (with Systemless hosts), reboots are needed whenever you make changes

But for the root mode AdAway does not need to be active (when updating hosts sources it writes to /data/adb/hosts/system/etc/hosts file, on reboot Magisk mounts that to /system/etc/hosts and later Java DNS resolver reads from there).

Ie, if using AdAway in the root- mode, my suggestions:
- disable all its automatic updates
- do not forget to manually open AdAway every few days or so and to trigger Updating

Then, make sure that AdAway is not enabled in your native Settings for Auto Start and that Battery optimization for AdAway is enabled - in that case AdAway (again, it applies to root mode only) will not run in the background and will definitely not consume any battery or connections

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
how to do that? through some 3rd party app? which one?
No idea how native Settings look like and work on your phone (and/or your custom ROM).
You should investigate or maybe ask in its own thread, TG group, etc

My screenshots attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-12-08-14-33-945_com.android.settings-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-12-08-14-33-945_com.android.settings-edit.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_2022-10-12-08-15-19-994_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-12-08-15-19-994_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_2022-10-12-08-16-26-982_com.ceyhan.sets.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-12-08-16-26-982_com.ceyhan.sets.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: gallegonovato

gallegonovato

Feb 25, 2021
Good afternoon @zgfg

Thanks for your help and time

I use adaway in root mode. And in adaway settings, I have disabled all options.

When I upgrade the host with adaway, I always reboot. And there I understand that adaway works to reset the host.

But without using Adaway. And without using the mobile without anything that uses data. It is normal that when shutting down (and turning it back on), or rebooting. Is it normal for adaway to boot up with the system and run.

Sorry for the inconvenience but not entiwndo well what you say.

Since I don't have the battery activated. Then I will try to remove in autostart (from fdroid) permissions. As well as the run permissions in app manager and sd maid.

Best regards

gallegonovato

Feb 25, 2021
Good afternoon @m0han

If you have the phone rooted and with Magisk.

You can give superuser permissions. And use:

Sd maid: https://github.com/d4rken-org/sdmaid there you can download it from http://sdmaid.darken.eu/download

Autostarts: https://f-droid.org/es/packages/com.elsdoerfer.android.autostarts/ or https://github.com/MuntashirAkon/android-autostarts

App manager: https://f-droid.org/es/packages/io.github.muntashirakon.AppManager/

In App manager is more complete you can remove trackers. But open the application, select Adaway. And go to App operations. And there is to remove the two that put start.

Sd maid, is to go to application control. Give it search. Then select Adaway. And go to Receiver Manager. And it would be to uncheck what you get in brown (boot_completed).

And Autostarts is to search in the Adaway application search engine. And uncheck or disable what you get.

If I'm not mistaken I think there are no more options in some rooms.

Best regards

Last edited:

m0han

Apr 30, 2012
Autostarts: https://f-droid.org/es/packages/com.elsdoerfer.android.autostarts/ or https://github.com/MuntashirAkon/android-autostarts

In App manager is more complete you can remove trackers. But open the application, select Adaway. And go to App operations. And there is to remove the two that put start.

Sd maid, is to go to application control. Give it search. Then select Adaway. And go to Receiver Manager. And it would be to uncheck what you get in brown (boot_completed).

And Autostarts is to search in the Adaway application search engine. And uncheck or disable what you get.
I have App Manager and SD Maid. I couldn't find/understand what you mentioned in App Manager (See 1,2,3). I found what you said in SD Maid; I have disabled both the brown entries I saw. Can you confirm whether this is enough? Should I also try Autostarts? And, thanks a lot for your detailed help.

Edit: Could you throw some more light on this?

.... I will try to remove in autostart (from fdroid) permissions. As well as the run permissions in app manager and sd maid....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221013_115110.jpg
    Screenshot_20221013_115110.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20221013_120007.jpg
    Screenshot_20221013_120007.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

gallegonovato

Feb 25, 2021
Good morning @m0han

First of all I apologize since you catch me with the phone charging. But I will try to explain myself, otherwise I will upload screenshots later.

In app manager, there is the version 3.0.2 in https://f-droid.org/es/packages/io.github.muntashirakon.AppManager/

It would be to open app manager. Then search for Adaway. And press twice on it. Until you get something like this: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/M...a/android/en-US/images/phoneScreenshots/2.png (with adaway of course). In that screen you can remove the trackers, and so on. Then it would be to scroll to the right and see the tab that says App operations. And there you can remove the permissions you want to the applications. Bluetooth, etc... See if you put something home, if so is to uncheck the box. Then if there is one that says run I think it is running in the background. But the other is not fixed.

And in autostar would be to open the app. And you will get a screen like the first image that comes out in https://f-droid.org/es/packages/com.elsdoerfer.android.autostarts/. At the top in the magnifying glass is to write Adaway. And it already looks for the entries where it comes out. And it is to go one by one clicking on it and you get the screen 2 of the previous link. You give it to disable and ready.

But if you removed it in sd maid. Check that after turning off or restarting the phone does not leave you in Adaway, running. If not you would already be out.

But some applications are stubborn and you have to remove them in other applications.

Also check in the terminal settings. In applications and then Adaway. Do not have activated background data. If so disable it. But check in the settings inside Adaway. That you do not have any option to check for updates activated. If so, uncheck all the boxes. And then whenever you want you can manually update the hosts in Adaway's main screen.

Let's see if it loads and I can upload some screenshots. But you caught me without battery because tonight I had to go to the hospital for emergencies with a family member. And I was running low on battery until it turned itself off.

As soon as I can I will try to upload screenshots as it should.

Best regards

Reactions: m0han

m0han

Apr 30, 2012
..... open app manager. Then search for Adaway. And press twice on it..... In that screen you can remove the trackers, and so on. Then it would be to scroll to the right and see the tab that says App operations. And there you can remove the permissions you want to the applications. Bluetooth, etc... See if you put something home, if so is to uncheck the box. Then if there is one that says run I think it is running in the background. But the other is not fixed.....
79, 0, 1, 101, 100, 67, 28, 29, 102, 106, 115, 70, 63, 76, - Can these be disabled? 😄

Screenshot_20221013-213155_App Manager.pngScreenshot_20221013-213211_App Manager.pngScreenshot_20221013-213220_App Manager.png
Anything else?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
79, 0, 1, 101, 100, 67, 28, 29, 102, 106, 115, 70, 63, 76, - Can these be disabled? 😄

View attachment 5733699View attachment 5733701View attachment 5733703
Anything else?
Test and you will see if it still works.
But most of them have nothing with AutoStart or running in background, and they don't look like being really used in the app (camera, calls, pip and so on)

Btw, I also don't see why would AdAway need (fine) location - eg hosts sources are not made to be location dependent

However, I would not disable Clipboard because sooner or later you might need to copy/paste some host to Allow or Block list, or to copy/paste a new hosts source - if you disable reading clipboard, you won't be able to paste in (you'll always have to carefully type in letter by letter)

Hence think twice what is really necessary or not and do you need to pin-point every single permission for this app, and similarly for any other app you find on your phone.
Besides, you might need to check all those permissions again upon the app's updates

Last edited:
Reactions: m0han

Popletenec

Mar 23, 2022
Hi. I have added some hosts to Adaway but it doesn't show how many hosts it has, also blocked number on home screen doesn't change whether the list is enabled or not, it is normal?

Last edited by a moderator:

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Hi. I have added some hosts to Adaway but it doesn't show how many hosts it has, also blocked number on home screen doesn't change whether the list is enabled or not, it is normal?
What exactly you added?

If it was hosts source, provide its url - and you first had to check yourself is that hosts source file I'n the proper format for AdAway

If it's not the right format, obviously AdAway won't read and could not show the number of blocked sources

And of course, if you entered the wrong URL (eg, if you have after your pasting two times https:/ at the beginning), it won't open.
Etc, etc

From your not precise description, without screenshots, etc - I can only say: yes, bit normal but no idea what is wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

Popletenec

Mar 23, 2022
What exactly you added?

If it was hosts source, provide its url - and you first had to check yourself is that hosts source file I'n the proper format for AdAway

If it's not the right format, obviously AdAway won't read and could not show the number of blocked sources

And of course, if you entered the wrong URL (eg, if you have after your pasting two times https:/ at the beginning), it won't open.
Etc, etc

From your not precise description, without screenshots, etc - I can only say: yes, bit normal but no idea what is wrong
I added list from this git: https://github.com/bogachenko

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Please give URL that will directly open the list in browser

URL above is link to someone's GitHub project and obviously cannot work (AdAway will not search through to find where might be a host file there) if you added that URL to the hosts sources list

Copy any working (preconfigured - coming with AdAway) URL from your Hosts sources list, paste to browser and you will see how it opens a hosts file, like with these URLs:

See also the attached screenshot how that URL is then added to the Hosts source list in Adaway - provide the screenshot from your AdAway, for your Hosts source file

And see the screenshot how it looks when you paste that URL to the browser and open

If you are adding your own hosts sources, you must make sure that browser similarly opens a hosts source file with that link, from Internet

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-10-14-15-04-27-631_org.adaway-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-14-15-04-27-631_org.adaway-edit.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_2022-10-14-15-06-31-339_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-10-14-15-06-31-339_com.android.chrome.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 42

Popletenec

Mar 23, 2022
Please give URL that will directly open the list in browser

URL above is link to someone's GitHub project and obviously cannot work (AdAway will not search through to find where might be a host file there) if you added that URL to the hosts sources list

Copy any working (preconfigured - coming with AdAway) URL from your Hosts sources list, paste to browser and you will see how it opens a hosts file, like with these URLs:

See also the attached screenshot how that URL is then added to the Hosts source list in Adaway - provide the screenshot from your AdAway, for your Hosts source file

And see the screenshot how it looks when you paste that URL to the browser and open

If you are adding your own hosts sources, you must make sure that browser similarly opens a hosts source file with that link, from Internet
I can't because it has profanity in it, it will get removed. But I added the link in format like this:

Just add "u" in place of asterisk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can someone please help and tell me how to completely remove and clean AdAway.

I have imported a few other hosts and also added some of my own hosts that is actually amazing as I can block not only intrusive adds but also stop cookie tracking.

The problem I have that some of the hosts have messed up some of my apps that will not load nor work. One example is Google maps. Harsh hosts blocking will make the app slow and unresponsive till you disable the Adaway.

So I want to do a clean install. But every single time I uninstall the app and then reinstall, it automatically imports all of my old host!!
    I don't have any backup saved on the phone that I know of.
    Can someone please help on how to fully do a clean install

Thanks
    Nothing easier

Go to the Hosts Sources 'page' and disable the ones you don't like.
    Make sure that you confirm APPLY CHANGES (wait till it finishes) and REBOOT (always reboot when you make any change - rebooting is not mandatory only if you work in the non-root/vpn mode)

To completely disable AdAway, use the button on the main page and also REBOOT

See the screenshots

---

Why rebooting if using AdAway in the root/hosts mode?

If you have a newer phone, your /system is not writable and you have to use Systemless hosts in Magisk

That means that AdAway does not write directly to /system/etc/hosts file, ie. whatever change you make by AdAway (even if it only updates the hosts sources from Net), that would only take effect on the next reboot, when Magisk will mount the changes from the AdAway's
    /data/adb/modules/hosts/system/etc/hosts file to the 'real' /system/etc/hosts file

Even on the older phones where AdAway can write directly to the /system/etc/hosts, you still cannot count that the internal DNS resolver in Android would re-read the hosts file immediately (or soon) upon the AdAway applies its changes

Hence again, without reboot, you don't know if internal DNS resolver uses the newly changed hosts file or it continued to use its buffered copy of the old hosts file, from before the changes were applied by AdAway
    I just found the solution for my problem. I activated systemless hosts-file in the control panel of Magisk manager
    Ok, but that's not applicable to the users running AdAway in the non-root/VPN mode (not-rooted phones)

For them, the problem must be in the VPN connection, that sometimes does not survive switching the bearers (mobile data to WiFi or vice versa, or from one WiFi to another)

That problems with VPN have been discussed here in the past. People report that it happens sporadically. AFAIK, there were ticket(s) opened on AdAway GitHub for that VPN problem

---

Case with your phone is completely different. You have the rooted phone and AdAway needs to write to the System etc/hosts file (in VPN mode,AdAway does not mess with the system's hosts file)

However, on your A12, System is NOT WRITABLE, hence AdAway CANNOT make any real change to the system's hosts file.
    To make it working you MUST enable Systemless hosts in Magisk

In that case Magisk takes care to dynamically mount the AdAway's 'copy' of the hosts file over the system's hosts file on every reboot (see eg my yesterday's post, to somebody else, describing why in the root mode, with Systemless hosts, he must always REBOOT upon any change, that his changes in eg Hosts sources will be taken to effect)

That is, your whole System, and therefore also the hosts file can never be changed by AdAway (root does not help, read-only restriction is on the file system level)

That's the reason why Magisk provides the so-called systemless rooting: (real/hard) changes are never made on the System files. Instead, on every reboot, Magisk mounts the copies of those files (saved by the corresponding Magisk modules) to /data/adb over the 'real' System files

You disable/uninstall a module, (and reboot) there are will be no more mounting and Android will use the original System file(s) that have never been affected

When you enable Systemless hosts option in Magisk, it actually works as a Magisk module for mounting the changes to the system's hosts file.
    Hard changes are never done, Magisk only mounts the copy of the hosts file over the original (never affected) hosts file, on every reboot.
    Without the Systemles hosts, Android uses the orinal hosts file and you can not block any site (AdAway will be of no use)

If you upgraded your ROM or you previously had an older phone with an older Android, then your System was read-write and AdAway did not requure Systemles hosts.
    Some custom ROMs (although based on the newer Android versions) may also be exceptional - allowing the read-write System (and hence not requiring Systemless rooting, ie Systemless hosts for AdAway)

--

Ie, on the new phones, with AdAway in the root mode, Systemless hosts is not a fix for some sporadic problems with AdAway - it's a MUST to make AdAway working at all
    Rebooting after disabling AdAway does the trick. Is reboot also necessary after adding something to the whitelist? Thanks.
    Of course. I'm sure I posted here two times about in the last couple of days
    I've been using Adaway for many years. Now on my Pixel 7 if I enable Systemless hosts my device will freeze and will be unusable.

Is there anyway to fix this? Adaway is the best adblocker but I can't use it.
    That is an issue with OnePlus (OPPO) and Magisk.

If you are using a custom rom, you might be able to write directly to the hosts file.
    I know you are not suppose to be able to but, some will.

---

You can switch to AdAway VPN (rootless) mode.
    It does not require systemless hosts to be enabled.
    Currently you can only run one VPN on Android so, if you are using another VPN.. 🙁

I use VPN mode on a few devices for different reasons even though they are rooted with Magisk. ;)

Cheers. :cowboy:
    I can not get 6.0.3 to recognize host file from this link
    When i add link it ask to apply i press apply. But nothing applies.
    That link results in a bin file attempting to download, iirc the link needs to go to the text version of the list.
    https://block.energized.pro/blu/formats/hosts.txt is the correct link
    icon.png
    AdAway

AdAway is an open source ad blocker for Android using the hosts file.

Google Play Store notice

According the Google Play Developer Policy, especially the "Device and Network Abuse" section, ad blocker like AdAway violates the "Apps that block or interfere with another app displaying ads." rule and can't be distributed on distributed on the Play Store.
    As Free and Open Source Software, AdAway is available from F-Droid Store or this XDA thread :good:

Requirements

This application requires Android 8 or above and does no more require root.

For older Android versions, a rooted device is required.

Changelog

If you don't want to read each announce post of this thread, you can:

Downloads

Stable versions are available on GitHub releases and F-Droid Store:
    Beta versions are available on GitHub releases only: AdAway 6.0.2b

The app provides an in-app updater for both GitHub and F-Droid builds.
    Keep in mind beta channel is limited to GitHub builds, and F-Droid releases usually have a several days latency.

Problem? Read this

* If you use Chrome and still see ads on web pages, remember to disable the "data saver" or "reduced data usage" browser option.
    * Check your APN settings for any proxy, the proxy itself could be allowing ads. Disable the proxy.
    * After you install or make any change to AdAway, you must reboot for those changes to take effect.
    * If you are still having issues please read and understand all the info in the wiki before asking for help here.

Otherwise, this is the right thread to discuss about it or file a bug report here.

Contributors

PerfectSlayer, Vankog, jawz101
    Source Code: https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway
    Hi all,

A new year is coming and I wish you all to have nice holidays :victory:

Just few words about this ending year. There was about 12 releases in 2019 which brings you a new UI, a lot of bug fixes, Android 10 support, Gist and GitLab hosting support and better Magisk support.
    All of this is possible thanks to the community to help users to discover the app, learn how to use it and report any new bug and also your moral, nice words and thanks you can send to me, and financial support.
    Thanks a lot for all donators, GitHub sponsor and the Pixel 2 you sent me to test Android 10 support.

For the next year, I hope to release the next version (V5), at least in beta to start. It's been 9 months since its first lines of code and things are working quite nicely.
    It aims to make the app simpler to use for the main use cases, support rooted and non rooted devices and remove old hacks/workaround which are no more needed on recent setups.

But before this big next update, I still have time to fix current issue with a new release :p

Changelog:
    • Fix GitLab hosting support (commit date parsing failed)
    • Translation update

Special thanks to @gallegonovato for its helpful bug report and @Vankog for translation update.

Download:

AdAway 4.3.2 on AndroidFileHost (md5: 78fde09a0e92044c45e901bb1cec8e2e)
    Hi all,

Long time no see! It's been more than two months since the last update.
    I can't say I was not active on the project as I start working on a new version (5.x.y) as a side project.
    I won't share the source code yet as it is not ready at all and I don't want to give an ETA but this new version targets the following goals:
    • 1. Revamp the UI
    • 2. Clean up old support
    • 3. Address one of the main drawback of the app

1. The card based UI does not feel right. Welcome card takes too much space, update button / status has a lot of critic. I guess I can do better.
    I started a new simpler and lighter design which provide the most useful information on home screen and all main actions to trigger in one tap (no more burger menu).
    It is still under heavy development but I hopefully get a friend onboard, specialized in graphics and design, to help me :highfive:

2. In order to simplify the development, I clean up the app and remove support for old features.
    I bump target SDK version so I finally get Java 8 language feature (it was released 5y ago…) and move to topjohnwu root library (instead of home made one). It means systemless support is now handled by Magisk and other root solutions will still work.

3. Think of what prevent most of users to use AdAway? Now it's gone!
    It's not gone forever. It's still here but there will be a fallback to workaround it.
    I won't tell more until the first public beta but I guess you get the point :fingers-crossed:

In the meanwhile, here is a new version!

Is anyone using a hosts list hosted on Gitlab? It keeps showing "Unknown update status".
    GitLab, like GitHub do not set LastModified HTTP header so update status is not supported... yet!

Changelog:
    • Add Gist and GitLab hosting support for hosts file
    • Add option to set default IPv6 redirection
    • Improve reboot command
    • Improve UI for overlays
    • Update translations

Special thanks to @MSF Jarvis and ralayax for theirs contributions and @andy356 for its helpful bug report.

Download:

AdAway 4.2.5 on AndroidFileHost (md5: ab81225745afaaa7646024109de299c0)
    Hi all,

Hmm, not working for me for this URL, v4.1.0 shows something like not updated in -360 days (some large negative value). Can you please see if you can reproduce?
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/alternates/fakenews-gambling-porn/hosts
    It works well here. I failed to reproduce as I change the HTTP client library and how I use it.
    But update date for the source you link definitely works now.

All the F-Droid apps I know of have manual push updates to the store.

Isn't automatic build basically for nightlies?
    Not really. You could choose a lot of different mode.
    For example, F-Droid server watches AdAway GitHub repository to find tags which match a specific versioning pattern.

I exist still... do you know what i have to do to transfer ownership? if i edit project it doesn't let me change the primary author so i assume i have to PM some higher up to make this happen?
    Thank you so much! :highfive:

This is now done, @PerfectSlayer is the OP of this thread.
    Thank you too!

Changelog:
    • Add hosts source download cache
    • Add snackbar notification to update host from DNS request listing
    • Update UI from Material Design to Material Theming
    • Update gradle, plugins and dependencies
    • Fix crash parsing not defined host source last modified date
    • Fix native modules build script (required for F-Droid build server)
    • Fix Transifex issues

Special thanks to all recent donators! Your help is really appreciated :good:

Download:

AdAway 4.2.0 on AndroidFileHost (md5: 023169e7c345ef7297095793024f8478)
    Hi all,

I talked enough about it the past weeks and here it is: the first beta for the next version of AdAway.
    As you know, the main feature is the removal of root requirement but it also comes with a lot of improvements like an easier to use UI, a builtin updater, new cache and databases to improve reliability or even a quick pause/resume adblocking button that 3rd party apps can control.

It took me literally a year and 330+ commits to build it (the first commit of this branch was April the 7th) and I hope it will be worth it.
    It should allow the app to be viable in the future with root being more and more difficult to achieve at each new Android release and Google hardening SafetyNet checks.

I will try to answer to the most expected questions here so you still can post a link to this FAQ later to lost users.

FAQ:

Does this version replace the v4.x versions?
    No. This is still a preview version and does not replace the stable one.
    It is available to test it and report issues and feedback before being promoted to stable.

Can I upgrade and revert safely?
    Yes. Both v4 and v5 use the same settings export format.

Why does this version targets Android 8+ Oreo only?
    Like the v4, v5 is expected to offer support for latest devices.
    Android 8 and above represent more than 60% of device distribution and will grew through time.
    If you use an older device, root solutions work very well and v4 is here for you (like v2 and v3 stayed for legacy devices).

How the hell does it work without root?
    This version provides two adblocking methods: the usual root one using hosts file and a new one using local VPN.
    The VPN solution allows to filter and alter connections of your devices without root access.

Is using a VPN safe?
    In the case of AdAway, yes. It uses VPN API but does not connect to a VPN server.
    In the case of VPN client app, it depends.
    To give you more details, a VPN client app uses the VPN API to create a virtual network interface on your device and redirect all your traffic into it.
    If you imaginge the VPN like a pipe (the right word is tunnel), client VPN app outputs all your traffic on a VPN server which is able to check what you are doing on the Internet.
    With AdAway, your network is not redirected to a VPN server but your device internet connection (same as no VPN). VPN API is only used to get traffic into it to break the connections to ad servers.

Is VPN use battery?
    Yes, like everything you do on device.
    Witouth root, a VPN service will be running permanently to filter your traffic.
    Good news is it will only filter DNS traffic. Not all traffic is redirected into it so it won't be as expensive as you can fear.

Did you come up with this idea alone?
    Absolutely not! I spent a lot of hours trying to find altenatives to hosts based adblocking (like routes or private DNS). But nothing was better than VPN based adblocking.
    So we (MrRobinson and I) approched Julian Klode, developer of DNS66 more than three years ago to see if we can merge our apps. It wasn't that easy as we don't develop our apps the same way so I ended up by integrating the DNS66 adblocking method into AdAway. It is fine for Julian, his app is Open Source and he himself built it from the core code of AdBuster app (an VPN based adblocking app).

Should we stop using DNS66 for AdAway?
    Not at all. DNS66 is a great app and provides some features that AdAway doesn't have (yet?), like DNS settings.
    DNS66 is a great app, keep using it if you like it!
    If both apps used the same adblocking method a year ago when I start this version, I keep adding feature to the VPN adblocking method and most of them won't be in DNS66.
    If Julian ports them back to DNS66, it's great if it can help his app and users!

Is it me or the app put on weight?
    Yes, the app significantly grew due to new libraries like VPN related ones and Android Jetpack.
    It also stores more data on device: a http cache, a host database, a hosts copy, etc...
    I think 15~20mo of storage is still fine.

Changelog:

Without further ado, check the summarized changelog (it was hard to summarize a one year development)

• Add new home screen
      • Provides all main controls from one screen
      • Displays currently blocked, allowed and redirected domains
      • Displays current hosts sources status and control to force apply
    • Add non root ad-blocking feature
      • Uses a builtin local VPN to filter DNS request to blocked domains
      • Based on the work of dns66 by julian-klode
      • Allows to excluded system applications and per user applications
    • Add builtin updater with changelog display
    • Add feature to quickly pause and resume ad-blocking
    • Add wizard screen for first run setup
    • Add feature to display and filter all blocked, allowed, redirect domains
    • Improve preferences screen
    • Add broadcast receiver to control ad-blocking from third party applications
    • Update Android target to Android 10
    • Improve root and shell support
    • Split translation files to easier understand their context
    • Add GitHub action test and build tasks

Download:

AdAway 5.0.0 beta (sha2: 200fd7789b174735d3af5925b4e568b09475bb3f39a79d24d6617af4b19cd19d)

If you like my work, feel free to support me. Check my sign for donation links. Thanks all! :highfive: