- Aug 8, 2010
AdAway is an open source ad blocker for Android using the hosts file.
Google Play Store notice
According the Google Play Developer Policy, especially the "Device and Network Abuse" section, ad blocker like AdAway violates the "Apps that block or interfere with another app displaying ads." rule and can't be distributed on distributed on the Play Store.
As Free and Open Source Software, AdAway is available from F-Droid Store or this XDA thread :good:
This application requires Android 8 or above and does no more require root.
For older Android versions, a rooted device is required.
If you don't want to read each announce post of this thread, you can:
- Get a summary of all changes in the project CHANGELOG.md,
- Check any further details though the source code commits.
Stable versions are available on GitHub releases and F-Droid Store:
- AdAway 6.1.0 - Latest stable version - check v6 announcement
- AdAway 4.3.6 - for Android versions older than Android 8
- AdAway 3.3 - for Android versions older than Android 4.1 Jelly Bean
The app provides an in-app updater for both GitHub and F-Droid builds.
Keep in mind beta channel is limited to GitHub builds, and F-Droid releases usually have a several days latency.
Problem? Read this
* If you use Chrome and still see ads on web pages, remember to disable the "data saver" or "reduced data usage" browser option.
* Check your APN settings for any proxy, the proxy itself could be allowing ads. Disable the proxy.
* After you install or make any change to AdAway, you must reboot for those changes to take effect.
* If you are still having issues please read and understand all the info in the wiki before asking for help here.
Otherwise, this is the right thread to discuss about it or file a bug report here.
PerfectSlayer, Vankog, jawz101
Source Code: https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway