[APP] [ROOT] OnePlus Dark Mode Toggler (QS Tile, Auto-switch on Sunrise/Sunset, etc.)

Search This thread

MOARStuff

Sep 15, 2017
V2.4 is now ready! I've submitted it to Google Play for a review -- hopefully, it'll be out soon! It's also available as an apk in the original post of this thread.

Release notes:
- Added Italian translation (thanks to Giuseppe Melchionna)
- Fixed some potential freezes and crashes

Thank you everybody!

Reactions: lesther70

krohme

Jan 22, 2010
Using this app for the first time, seems very impressive so kudos to dev :D

Question, I'm currently only using the quick settings toggle which works flawlessly, I want to start using the auto switch function - based on pre configured times, but this will require the app to always run in the background.

Has anyone noticed any significant battery drain after enabling this feature?

Thanks in advance :cowboy:

MOARStuff

Sep 15, 2017
Using this app for the first time, seems very impressive so kudos to dev :D

Question, I'm currently only using the quick settings toggle which works flawlessly, I want to start using the auto switch function - based on pre configured times, but this will require the app to always run in the background.

Has anyone noticed any significant battery drain after enabling this feature?

Thanks in advance :cowboy:

Hi,
I'm glad you like the app! The auto-switch feature should not drain any battery noticeably, as it does not cause the app to run in the background. It merely sets "alarms" which trigger at the times you set or the times which are calculated by the app (depends on your settings in the app).

MOARStuff

Sep 15, 2017
Hey @MOARStuff is it possible to add a toggle to disable ambient display?

Hi, I was able to find the system and secure settings values which toggle the ambient display.

I made Tasker tasks for enabling and disabling the ambient display, and I have attached the tasks below! Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments regarding this ambient display mini project.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Disables_Ambient_Display.tsk.xml
    1.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Enables_Ambient_Display.tsk.xml
    1.3 KB · Views: 8

rapdes

Dec 4, 2008
Just tried the wallpaper switching, but my wallpapers don't fill the screen properly when I use that option, any way to change how the wallpaper is fit to the screen?

MOARStuff

Sep 15, 2017
This is really great. Thank you. Can you please add the ability to toggle live wallpaper?

Hi,
Sorry, but it just wouldn't be possible using a user-installed app with the way that Android is written right now. The system app which sets the wallpaper requires that users set live wallpapers manually. Although that is the case, I would recommend maybe looking into KLWP if you can to see if there is a way to toggle wallpapers depending on the state of dark mode.

MOARStuff

Sep 15, 2017
Just tried the wallpaper switching, but my wallpapers don't fill the screen properly when I use that option, any way to change how the wallpaper is fit to the screen?

Hi,

The temporary fix is to resize the wallpaper to be the exact dimensions of your phone's screen, which should ensure that the wallpaper fits correctly, as then there would be no cropping. Please let me know if this works for you.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Harout

MOARStuff

Sep 15, 2017
Does it work fine on oos 11 as well ?

I cannot verify as I have not installed Android 11 yet. I suppose the app will be unnecessary for Android 11 as the release notes (for my device, at least) say there is a dark mode quick settings toggle and automatic dark mode switching based on time of day and sunrise & sunset. If there is enough demand, I can still look into updating the app to work with Android 11. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

umair shaikh

Dec 20, 2012
mumbai
I cannot verify as I have not installed Android 11 yet. I suppose the app will be unnecessary for Android 11 as the release notes (for my device, at least) say there is a dark mode quick settings toggle and automatic dark mode switching based on time of day and sunrise & sunset. If there is enough demand, I can still look into updating the app to work with Android 11. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Lol no. Your app works far better than stock dark mode. Let's you choose custom accent and wallpaper .

I tested your app on oos 11 working fine so far.

Also, is there a way you can add support to toggle Swift installer Just like how you added support to enable substratum theme ?

MOARStuff

Sep 15, 2017
Lol no. Your app works far better than stock dark mode. Let's you choose custom accent and wallpaper .

I tested your app on oos 11 working fine so far.

Also, is there a way you can add support to toggle Swift installer Just like how you added support to enable substratum theme ?
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I am planning on releasing an update for OOS 11 as some things are a bit off. Sorry, but I don't think I will be able to add support for Swift Installer at this time, however I will try to look into it a little further. I am pretty sure it is a closed-source app, so it would likely be very hard, if at all feasible.

umair shaikh

Dec 20, 2012
mumbai
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I am planning on releasing an update for OOS 11 as some things are a bit off. Sorry, but I don't think I will be able to add support for Swift Installer at this time, however I will try to look into it a little further. I am pretty sure it is a closed-source app, so it would likely be very hard, if at all feasible.

No issues. The app is pretty good anyway

Zylera

Feb 25, 2021
Hi MOARStuff
I am a hydrogen OS user. Your software has provided me with great help and solved the problem of my inability to use dark mode on Android. Thank you very much!
But I want to make some comments on this software.
1. The forced dark mode will affect some software to display errors and affect its perception. For example, if the Microsoft Swiftkey in the picture uses an Adaptive theme, this kind of inverted color will appear. Not only this software but also software such as Alipay. So I wonder if you can make a mandatory dark blacklist so that we can have more choices when using it.
2. Hope to make a function to hide the display of the APP task page. Because I think that as a functional software that is resident in the background, it is not frequently displayed in the foreground, so the function of hiding the display also prevents us from turning it off when cleaning the background.
Last but not least, thank you again for making such a great software. The above is just my personal opinion and I hope it can be adopted.
Screenshot_20210225-193549.jpg

MOARStuff

Sep 15, 2017
Hi MOARStuff
I am a hydrogen OS user. Your software has provided me with great help and solved the problem of my inability to use dark mode on Android. Thank you very much!
But I want to make some comments on this software.
1. The forced dark mode will affect some software to display errors and affect its perception. For example, if the Microsoft Swiftkey in the picture uses an Adaptive theme, this kind of inverted color will appear. Not only this software but also software such as Alipay. So I wonder if you can make a mandatory dark blacklist so that we can have more choices when using it.
2. Hope to make a function to hide the display of the APP task page. Because I think that as a functional software that is resident in the background, it is not frequently displayed in the foreground, so the function of hiding the display also prevents us from turning it off when cleaning the background.
Last but not least, thank you again for making such a great software. The above is just my personal opinion and I hope it can be adopted.View attachment 5232519

Hi,

Regarding question #1, I will look into it. I was asked before but I did not have the technical knowledge back then; I am more willing to try to figure out how to accomplish this so that force-dark mode can be on a per-app basis. I will try to get back to you on this when/if I figure it out.
With regards to question #2, I know that, on Oxygen OS at least, there is Hidden Space which hides apps that you do not want to be on your main app drawer. Please let me know if Hidden Space works for you.

Thanks.
- Harout

lucfig

Feb 19, 2008
Rio das Ostras
Hi,

When toggling substratum themes, sometimes the date in the notification panel becomes white in white background. Is there a way to force restart SystemUI when toggling dark mode on and off?

About the swift installer themes, they are located at:
/data/adb/modules/swift_installer

I don't know how you activate the substratum themes, but the swift installer folder structure inside adb modules is similar to the substratum one.

Best regards

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello XDA Community,

This is my first post in the XDA OnePlus 7/Pro Forums! After many months of development, I'm finally ready to reveal my app to the world. I've already published the app to the Play Store and I highly recommend grabbing it from there, as it will ensure you get the latest updates the fastest. Now, this app is something I'd always wanted on my OnePlus phone, and I've heard many requests from users on forums for OnePlus to add this feature. However, as far as I know, no app with similar functionality existed for OnePlus phones... until today.

About the app itself:
    This app allows OnePlus users running Android 10 to set a Quick Settings tile that allows them to switch between the OP system-wide light and dark themes (this will affect all supported OnePlus, Google, and user apps, just like the actual setting in 'Customization > Tone' does). In addition, I've added in automatic theme switching based on time of day, meaning that when it's sunset, the phone will automatically switch over to dark theme, and when it's sunrise, the phone will automatically switch over to light theme. This aforementioned feature is toggleable, so if you discover that you don't like it, you can always disable it (as there are some drawbacks to this feature, discussed below). Also, I've added automatic wallpaper switching when the themes are changed, allowing for custom wallpapers depending on whether the light or dark theme is active (also toggleable, in case you don't want this feature).

Note about auto-switch feature:
    Due to the stubbornness of System UI, when this feature is enabled and the phone is off and the phone detects sunrise/sunset, it has to quickly turn on the screen, then turn it off, in order to ensure that Ambient Display continues to work after switching themes. This only happens when the screen is off, and the screen "flicker" is almost unnoticeable from the sheer speed at which it occurs (but, if you stare at your screen when it's off for long enough during sunrise/sunset, you may notice it happen briefly). In addition, the auto-switch may kick in while the screen is on, which COULD, in very RARE CIRCUMSTANCES, cause you to lose some temporary unsaved work on your phone. I've never encountered this (at least, yet), but I have heard it is possible for things like the Google search bar or other small text inputs, etc.

After much thought, I decided to make the app free to use with no ads and no (paid) "premium" features. I am an independent developer and full-time high school student; if you found my app useful, please do consider donating to me through PayPal: paypal.me/opdarktoggler.

Grab the app from the Play Store (highly recommended): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.harout.opdarkmodetoggler, or download the app from the apk posted below.
    I'm working on the update for v1.2 right now. God willing, I'll have it done by tomorrow to post. I'm also going to release a major UI overhaul with this new version - really don't like how the current UI looks. Will also be adding in support for the custom Substratum themes. Im thinking of having the user input the name of their substratum theme (e.g. Flux or Pitch Black) as usually the overlays themselves are named after the name of the theme, if that makes sense (another e.g. Flux Black overlays are named package.FluxBlack.something).
    Hello everyone, I just finished v2.1 and pushed it via Google Play Store update. It may take some time before it's approved; I'll also add the apk (v2.1) in the original post of this thread.

V2.0 Release Notes:
    - Added Donate button
    - Added option for accent color change on theme change
    - Improved some code for the auto-switch feature

V2.1 Release Notes:
    - Bug fix for accent color feature

Thank you everyone for your support! Please let other OnePlus users know about this app if you've liked it or if it's been useful for you. If you have any suggestions or issues, let me know through this XDA thread. Other than that, take care and be safe, everyone.
    V1.5 is now live!

Release notes:
    - Bug fix for auto-switch (removed redundancy)
    - Bug fix for crashes
    I just thought of something even better! Ill add in the option for users to input their own substratum themes for light and dark themes straight into the app. That way, users can choose which substratum themes they want to be enabled for light mode and which they want for dark mode. Stay tuned for v1.2! :D
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone