• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP - ROOT] ParrotMod - Fix the 2013 Nexus 7 touchscreen and auto rotate!

Search This thread
Feb 7, 2014
whoops, sorry for being rude

1) unfortunately no

2) adbdriver.com

No problem. I think I'll just stick with the May.09 version for now, adb drivers are a real hassle for my device for some reason. End up having to mess around with mtp, ptp, uninstalling drivers, installation freezes up, it installs but device isn't detected etc. And then when alls said and done it breaks my regular USB drivers somehow and I'm forced to uninstall adb drivers after finishing the hack. This has happened with two computers, using a few different types of adb drivers and toolkits.

Shouldn't be that hard, but it always is despite following multiple guides word for word. Hopefully someone else will be able to provide a log, I don't have the patience to deal with adb today... Sorry to be unhelpful.

Last edited:

parrotgeek1

Feb 14, 2014
parrotgeek.com
No problem. I think I'll just stick with the May.09 version for now, adb drivers are a real hassle for my device for some reason. End up having to mess around with mtp, ptp, uninstalling drivers, installation freezes up, it installs but device isn't detected etc. And then when alls said and done it breaks my regular USB drivers somehow and I'm forced to uninstall adb drivers after finishing the hack. This has happened with two computers, using a few different types of adb drivers and toolkits.

Shouldn't be that hard, but it always is despite following multiple guides word for word. Hopefully someone else will be able to provide a log, I don't have the patience to deal with adb today... Sorry to be unhelpful.
can you test this

flash the May 13 (NOT 14) version

and then go on twrp's file manager and delete /system/etc/parrotmod/postboot.sh
if it boots tell me
(but the touchscreen will be worse, this is normal from deleting that file)

Feb 7, 2014
can you test this

flash the May 13 (NOT 14) version

and then go on twrp's file manager and delete /system/etc/parrotmod/postboot.sh
if it boots tell me
(but the touchscreen will be worse, this is normal from deleting that file)

I tried your adb driver link, worked a lot better than the other toolkits I used. Thanks, also did it on a different computer. I have a logcat if you want it for May.13 version. I forgot to add, I have multirom installed.

I'll try what you said next...

EDIT - Deleting postboot.sh made no difference, still blackscreens. [

Attachments

• logcat.txt
    16.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

parrotgeek1

Feb 14, 2014
parrotgeek.com
I tried your adb driver link, worked a lot better than the other toolkits I used. Thanks, also did it on a different computer. I have a logcat if you want it for May.13 version. I forgot to add, I have multirom installed.

I'll try what you said next...

EDIT - Deleting postboot.sh made no difference, still blackscreens. [

oh, thanks for that info, I'm flashing DU and multirom now to replicate your setup

thanks. you didn't have this problem earlier either, right?
I not had this problem never.[emoji16]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA-Developers mobile app

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

thanks. you didn't have this problem earlier either, right?
I not had this problem never.[emoji16]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA-Developers mobile app

Feb 7, 2014
oh, thanks for that info, I'm flashing DU and multirom now to replicate your setup

Sorry should have mentioned it earlier. Thing is though May.09 version works perfectly fine with my setup, its just may.13+ that black screens. Anyway yeah, using latest multirom with twrp and dirty unicorns 10.2 (clean flash).

Did my logcat provide anything of significance?

parrotgeek1

Feb 14, 2014
parrotgeek.com
Sorry should have mentioned it earlier. Thing is though May.09 version works perfectly fine with my setup, its just may.13+ that black screens. Anyway yeah, using latest multirom with twrp and dirty unicorns 10.2 (clean flash).

Did my logcat provide anything of significance?

it seems like random system files are corrupted! May 13 & 14 work for me DU+multirom+xposed+open gapps nano

If you flash May 09 ON TOP of May 13/14 does it boot??

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
it seems like random system files are corrupted! May 13 & 14 work for me DU+multirom+xposed+open gapps nano

If you flash May 09 ON TOP of May 13/14 does it boot??

Hmm, perhaps that was caused by me restoring my system partition after the problem first occurred. Again when the problem happened I restored a backup of my system partition and everything seems fine, no forcecloses.

After flashing May 13 or May 14th it doesn't allow me to flash may.09 over it, throws me an error. I'll see if I can grab you that error.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Something along the line of updater failed with error code:11.
Also the only way I can restore my device with the later builds is by restoring a backup of my system partition. I tried deleting all associated parrotmod files in twrp recovery but it did not fix the problem.

Last edited:

parrotgeek1

Feb 14, 2014
parrotgeek.com
Hmm, perhaps that was caused by me restoring my system partition after the problem first occurred. Again when the problem happened I restored a backup of my system partition and everything seems fine, no forcecloses.

After flashing May 13 or May 14th it doesn't allow me to flash may.09 over it, throws me an error. I'll see if I can grab you that error.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Something along the line of updater failed with error code:11.
Also the only way I can restore my device with the later builds is by restoring a backup of my system partition. I tried deleting all associated parrotmod files in twrp recovery but it did not fix the problem.

in twrp do advanced -> copy recovery log AFTER the error 11 happens

and then on the computer copy recovery.log from tablet and send it to me

also are you on a secondary rom?

parrotgeek1

Feb 14, 2014
parrotgeek.com
Last edited:

Yergeny

May 13, 2016
I've been following along here and wanted to confirm that I also get black screen right after multirom. I am running Pure Nexus 6.0.1,with elementalx kernel and xposed.

I've tried all the versions except the first(wanted to hold off on that until the little kinks were fixed), including the test one you just uploaded. Trying to flash one version over another just gave error 11 and deleting the specified files did not change things.

parrotgeek1

Feb 14, 2014
parrotgeek.com
I've been following along here and wanted to confirm that I also get black screen right after multirom. I am running Pure Nexus 6.0.1,with elementalx kernel and xposed.

I've tried all the versions except the first(wanted to hold off on that until the little kinks were fixed), including the test one you just uploaded. Trying to flash one version over another just gave error 11 and deleting the specified files did not change things.

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING

So does the first one work? please try it

then restore a nand backup and try https://8c89a551996abc5c2f93e83c6e9.../ParrotMod_Flo_Stable_2016-05-15_20.31.19.zip EVEN if the first one works

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is ParrotMod?

This is a mod to greatly improve the touchscreen performance of the 2013 Nexus 7, on ANY rooted ROM, and work around a hardware problem with the gyroscope/accelerometer (auto rotate).

Updated 1/22/2017 to remove the problematic kernel tweaks, and fix EMI resistance for non-SlimPort mode. Note: I don't own this device anymore.

Download:
    https://parrotgeek.com/dl.php?file=ParrotMod_2013N7_1.0.2.apk

ParrotMod was added to @flar2's elementalX kernel.
    See here: https://github.com/flar2/flo

GitHub:
    https://github.com/parrotgeek1/ParrotMod_Nexus_7_2013

Important Note

In order to recalibrate the screen when you switch from holding the tablet (your body acts as electrical ground) to not (ungrounded), try turning the screen off and on again.

If ParrotMod does not improve the touchscreen at all, it could be that the touchscreen cable is loose inside the tablet. There are YouTube videos on how to fix this, like this popular one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOnccu6Nbl0

The feature fixing the auto rotate bug might not work for everyone. If it doesn't, here is a real hardware fix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCAeBe2hVU

If you use multiple users on your tablet, ParrotMod's app icon will only show in the primary user. Enable ParrotMod in the primary user, and it will run even when you switch to another user.

How ParrotMod Works

The touchscreen is fixed by enabling a mode that is normally only used when HDMI is plugged in, that is more resistant to electrical interference, and calibrating the EMI detection at every boot and when the screen turns off.

The auto rotate is fixed by restarting the sensor daemon every time it loses connection with the i2c device (due to a loose cable).
    I just released version 0.9.9, which now automatically calibrates the screen when you plug in or unplug a charger.

But, before you install it, you should probably delete the file /data/system/framework_atlas.config with a root browser and reboot.
    Sorry. I just switched web hosts. Will fix ASAP

I fixed it, and released v1.0! with all bugs fixed, however it does NOT have high performance mode because I'm too busy
    Updated 1/22/2017 to fix EMI resistance for non-SlimPort mode (ghost touches). Note: I don't own this device anymore.
    Known bugs

crash when no root (on N?) Logcat would be helpful!
    when you update supersu, parrotmod does not work and says there is no root until you reboot
    it does not use emicbhdmi after screen turned off & on (need to keep track of whether HDMI_PLUGGED)

"HELP! MY TOUCHSCREEN HAS STOPPED WORKING AFTER I INSTALLED THIS! YOU SUCK!!!one!1!!1eleven!!!1"

Apparently, there is a VERY RARE incompatibility with some touchscreen firmwares which requires you to reset the firmware before installing ParrotMod. ONLY do this if your touchscreen stops working after installing it.

(You need fastboot & adb on your computer, Google it)

1) Plug the tablet into the computer
    2) Turn on the tablet with power & volume down buttons pressed, to enter the bootloader
    3) download the boot-ts.7z from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2428133 and extract it to a folder, open command prompt/Terminal, cd to that folder
    4) run: fastboot boot boot-ts10-lock.img
    5) your device will bootloop. just run "adb reboot bootloader" after about 30 seconds to get back to bootloader
    4) run: fastboot boot boot-ts-unlock.img
    5) your device will bootloop. just run "adb reboot" after about 30 seconds and Android should boot up with touch working