• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[App][Root] Partitions Backup & Restore

Search This thread

wanam

Recognized Contributor / Developer
Jan 26, 2011
Toulouse
wanam.net
☆Root required☆
☆Supports for all Android devices!☆

It's aimed to support all Android devices running Android 3+.

This is an improved and more generic implementation of EFS Backup.

This application auto detect all your device partitions and let you save a backup of any of them (Boot, EFS, Modems...), to keep them safe from getting corrupted after bad Rom flashing issues.

You can backup any partition to your internal or external SdCard, the backup supports 3 formats:

• Raw partition image (Img)
  • Tar archived image (No compression)
  • Compressed GZ image (Small size)
This application was made to be a generic solution for all Android devices, it does NOT use any static/hardcoded block numbers.

Notes:

• The backups are saved on /Sdcard/PartitionsBackups.
  • Do NOT leave the EFS/Modems backups on your Sdcard, make sure you keep them on a safe place
  • It supports stock and custom Roms (CM, Omni...)
  • Do NOT use the restoration feature for tests purposes, it is recommended to use it for small partitions only (EFS, Boot, Modems...), you can restore other partitions backups with Fastboot, Odin or any other flashing tool depending on which device you are using.
Bugs reports:

• Post your Exact device model
  • PM me your logcat (you can use Syslog App)
Download.

Changelogs:

12.3:
- Various bugs fixes

1.1.0:
- Add restoration feature, the backup file must be a raw partition image (with img extension)
- Minor bugs fixes

1.0.0:
Initial release

Suggestions are welcome, if you like the application please rate it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-16-15-18-14.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-16-15-18-14.png
    252.9 KB · Views: 8,560
  • Screenshot_2015-01-16-15-11-02.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-16-15-11-02.png
    127.2 KB · Views: 8,097
  • Screenshot_2015-01-16-15-12-09.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-16-15-12-09.png
    193.5 KB · Views: 7,975
  • Screenshot_2015-01-16-15-13-34.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-16-15-13-34.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 6,803
Last edited:

Acid0057

Mar 15, 2013
Hanover, Ontario
Wow looks great! I've used EFS Backup before and excited to try this. Installing from play right now.
@wanam why is it under a new developer (Halfdroid) and not your existing developer on the Google Play Store?

Last edited:

wanam

Jan 26, 2011
Toulouse
wanam.net
Wow looks great! I've used EFS Backup before and excited to try this. Installing from play right now.
@wanam why is it under a new developer (Halfdroid) and not your existing developer on the Google Play Store?

edit : ... if you don't provide the link, maybe it is because you don't want provide it ^^
NB/ stupid questions : you are recognized contributor, so your name should be in green ? ^^
Yes i have my own reasons, both Apps are mine.

Reactions: Acid0057

Droidphilev

Jan 25, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi again Wanam,

Not installed yet but i'm curious about restoring the "big" partitions using odin:

Do you mean i can backup /data with your app and restore it using "pda" in odin without odin touching /system etc?

wanam

Jan 26, 2011
Toulouse
wanam.net
ok ^^ but why your name is not in green ? lol ...
Nice app :)

Maybe because of the Dev profile.

Hi again Wanam,

Not installed yet but i'm curious about restoring the "big" partitions using odin:

Do you mean i can backup /data with your app and restore it using "pda" in odin without odin touching /system etc?

Yes, it should work with the tar archiving option.

@wanam
Thanks for such awesome tool! Excellent work! :good:
Could you please add a backup PIT as an additional feature to your app?
Thanks

Planned.

Primokorn

Nov 17, 2012
While trying to backup the modem partition with my Nexus 5 I have the following error: 'backup successfully saved to: null' so I have nothing into sdcard/PartitionsBackup.
Test also done with the recovery partition. Here is attached a log recorded during the backup process.

Attachments

• logcat_and_device_info.zip
    68.5 KB · Views: 89

wanam

Jan 26, 2011
Toulouse
wanam.net
Hi wanam

This is pure awesomeness :)

Thanks

Regards

I'm glad you like it.

While trying to backup the modem partition with my Nexus 5 I have the following error: 'backup successfully saved to: null' so I have nothing into sdcard/PartitionsBackup.
Test also done with the recovery partition. Here is attached a log recorded during the backup process.

I think it is a path detection issue of the sdcard, di you get the correct path on the App settings?
This application was tested against N910C (Stock), G900F (CM11) and Nexus 5 CM12.

Droidphilev

Jan 25, 2008
OnePlus 9 Pro
Hi,

regarding those settings: if i set it to "external sd" backup path shows /storage/sdcard1/partitionsbackups which is correct. if i close and reopen settings "external sdcard" is still selected but patch suddenly shows /storage/emulated/0/partitionsbackups.

I tried to make a backup of /data (i guess this must be userdata) but i got a very small file in size (about 100 bytes) if i remember correctly. i tried a backup of /system which i think succeeded but android itself thinks the app has frozen. Also... it seems that the backup is as big as the partition (1.6Gb) even when there only 500 mb used. sorry, no logcat for now

wanam

Jan 26, 2011
Toulouse
wanam.net
@wanam
Thanks

It seems this one can't be done in a generic way, each device has its own pit start/end.

New update 1.2.3 has been pushed with various bugs fixes related to Android L and some customs Roms.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ☆Root required☆
    ☆Supports for all Android devices!☆

It's aimed to support all Android devices running Android 3+.

This is an improved and more generic implementation of EFS Backup.

This application auto detect all your device partitions and let you save a backup of any of them (Boot, EFS, Modems...), to keep them safe from getting corrupted after bad Rom flashing issues.

You can backup any partition to your internal or external SdCard, the backup supports 3 formats:

• Raw partition image (Img)
    • Tar archived image (No compression)
    • Compressed GZ image (Small size)
    This application was made to be a generic solution for all Android devices, it does NOT use any static/hardcoded block numbers.

Notes:

• The backups are saved on /Sdcard/PartitionsBackups.
    • Do NOT leave the EFS/Modems backups on your Sdcard, make sure you keep them on a safe place
    • It supports stock and custom Roms (CM, Omni...)
    • Do NOT use the restoration feature for tests purposes, it is recommended to use it for small partitions only (EFS, Boot, Modems...), you can restore other partitions backups with Fastboot, Odin or any other flashing tool depending on which device you are using.
    Bugs reports:

• Post your Exact device model
    • PM me your logcat (you can use Syslog App)
    Download.

Changelogs:

12.3:
    - Various bugs fixes

1.1.0:
    - Add restoration feature, the backup file must be a raw partition image (with img extension)
    - Minor bugs fixes

1.0.0:
    Initial release

Suggestions are welcome, if you like the application please rate it.
    ok ^^ but why your name is not in green ? lol ...
    Nice app :)

Maybe because of the Dev profile.

Hi again Wanam,

Yes, it should work with the tar archiving option.

@wanam
    Thanks

Planned.
    New update 1.2.5 posted:

- Add support for Mediatek devices.
    - Add a new feature to backup the first 100MB of the device internal memory, this can help you fix a device hard-brick by flashing this backup to and external Sdcard and boot Download mode from it.
    - Improved support for older devices.
    Awesome work wanam! Works great! :good: :)

Great, thanks for the feedback.
    Can someone help me how can i flash via cwm/twrp?

how to restore these partitions
    I want to use odin to flash those partitions

Did you ever find out how to restore using Odin?
    Not one clear (recent) manual out there. Wanam? Do you have it somewhere? If so, LINK to it please.
    Because the names of the partitions are rather cryptic, as are the upload buttons in Odin.

Wanam, I've a question: Using EFS Backup I've backed cdma-radio, EFS, radio and the three m9kefs partitions, but trying to open cdma-radio or any of the three later with 7zip gives a "The disc image file is damaged". The size of them is 8.192, and 4.096 (each) respectively. Is this normal? Can this be a sign of a corrupt backup? The other images open with out any problem.

Guys, please understand that it's no simple task to just flash some raw partition dumps via Odin or TWRP.
    First, modern Samsung devices employ signature checking within the bootloader, which only allows factory prepared files to be flashed successfully.
    Second, these raw dumps contain "padding" which first must be trimmed properly to make them compatible.
    Third, you have hardware ID differences, and data partition encryption issues to complicate things.
    And then the partition/file names have to match, for example EFS=efs.img, MODEMST1=nvrebuild1.bin, MODEMST2=nvrebuild2.bin, etc.

Also, trying to flash over a "live" system via adb shell by something like this
    dd if=/sdcard/<partition_dump> of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p<ID#> bs=4096
    should work for some "smaller" partitions like the efs, recovery, etc (as noted by Wanam), but will most likely brick the device if trying to do a full system/data write.
    A specialized app like FlashFire is more suited for this kind of "test" flashing, as it attempts to "freeze" the system temporarily during the flashing process. https://flashfire.chainfire.eu/
    If anyone has any brilliant ideas or test results, let's hear it. ;)