DarQ provides a per-app selectable force dark option for Android 10 and above.
It uses a root or Shizuku (ADB) service to apply the theme seamlessly and quickly, without needing an accessibility service.
DarQ also provides an option to apply the system dark theme (as well as selectable force dark) only after sunset and before sunrise, protecting your eyes when it's most needed.
Please read the Frequently Asked Questions sections in the app or here for more information and some answers to questions
Download from GitHub releases
Source available on GitHub
Examples of apps with force dark enabled:
v2.2 & v2.2.1
DarQ 2.2 is a maintenance release with Android 13 support and a fix for location related crashes for the Auto Dark Theme option.
2.2.1 fixes a crash introduced in 2.2
DarQ 2.1 contains a few new features and fixes:
Please note, if you use the Xposed module currently, your settings may be reset by this update. Read the instructions in this post to workaround this.
- Backup and Restore your config to device or the cloud
- A rewritten Xposed module with the ability to make even more apps work with force dark, including Snapchat and an option (enabled by default) to fix the inverted (black on dark) status bar icon colors.
- Fixed crashes related to navigation in the app
- Fixed a crash where requesting root could cause a crash
- Improved some Material You theming throughout the app
DarQ 2.0 is a complete, from scratch rewrite of DarQ, with a lot of improvements:
- DarQ 2.0 has an entirely new design, with Material You elements and Monet (wallpaper-based) colours.
- The ADB script is now gone, and instead Shizuku handles the service on non-root devices. If you don't know what Shizuku is, think of it like a Superuser app for non-root devices. Start Shizuku via ADB on a computer (or even on your phone on Android 11 and above) once per boot, and any app that uses Shizuku can use ADB services.
- The Accessibility Service has been replaced with a ProcessObserver, using the Shizuku/Root service. This is much quicker than Accessibility, so apps that previously were opening too quick to be supported may now work.
- Improvements to the auto dark theme at sunrise/sunset to work better on different devices.
- Improvements to the Xposed module for apps that try to block the use of force dark, preventing them from doing so.