[APP][ROOT/SHIZUKU][10+][11/Feb] DarQ: Per-app selectable force dark option for Android 10+

Search This thread

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the settings would not re-apply after reboot for devices using ADB via USB? We'll have to reconnect ADB every time after reboot?

At least for me I have to redo ADB after rebooting
You have to start Shizuku with ADB every reboot. That's how Shizuku works.

On devices with wireless ADB you can start Shizuku without a computer though.

Thebear j koss

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the settings would not re-apply after reboot for devices using ADB via USB? We'll have to reconnect ADB every time after reboot?

At least for me I have to redo ADB after rebooting
You can use adb over wifi in device settings, system, developer options while using shizuku. Or just use shizuku with root or lsposed and magisk.

can I do something to fix all dark photos? vinted app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220416-164840480.jpg
    Screenshot_20220416-164840480.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 55

sosimple

Aug 20, 2017
Greece
www.youtube.com
Isn't any way darq to work without selecting in android settings dark mode to everywhere? If I select dark mode to everywhere from android settings in samsung phone, then i can't use samsung themes..
Thanks,

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Isn't any way darq to work without selecting in android settings dark mode to everywhere? If I select dark mode to everywhere from android settings in samsung phone, then i can't use samsung themes..
Thanks,
DarQ uses the same system feature as that 'dark mode everywhere' setting likely does, but applies it only when apps you choose are open. That way it would only interfere on those apps if it's breaking a Samsung feature.

Reactions: sieghartRM

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
So i can't use darq AND Samsung themes at the same time, if i understand correctly?
You can, but it might break the themes on the apps you want to use DarQ with, if I understand what you're saying. Sounds like it's either-or, but at least with DarQ you can make it only that for apps you desire.

sosimple

Aug 20, 2017
Greece
www.youtube.com
You can, but it might break the themes on the apps you want to use DarQ with, if I understand what you're saying. Sounds like it's either-or, but at least with DarQ you can make it only that for apps you desire.
I don't think i can.. If i have samsung dark mode toggle on, darq works at it should. I can make black, apps that by default aren't black. (but i can't use samsung themes, as by using samsung dark mode toggle on, disables samsung themes) . If i set samsung dark mode toggle off, darq doesn't work. It doesn't make black neither apps that are by default black (when setting samsung black mode toggle on).. I'm rooted. Isn't any solution, magisk plugin, something?
I actually doesn't want to make black apps that doesn't support it by default. I just want to make black apps that support it. Google now, for example. I just don't want to turn on samsung black mode toggle, for this.. Because if i set it on, i can't have samsung themes..
Thanks,

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
I don't think i can.. If i have samsung dark mode toggle on, darq works at it should. I can make black, apps that by default aren't black. (but i can't use samsung themes, as by using samsung dark mode toggle on, disables samsung themes) . If i set samsung dark mode toggle off, darq doesn't work. It doesn't make black neither apps that are by default black (when setting samsung black mode toggle on).. I'm rooted. Isn't any solution, magisk plugin, something?
I actually doesn't want to make black apps that doesn't support it by default. I just want to make black apps that support it. Google now, for example. I just don't want to turn on samsung black mode toggle, for this.. Because if i set it on, i can't have samsung themes..
Thanks,
Probably OneUI messing with something then, I can't do anything about that sadly.

Jul 1, 2021
@Quinny899 Hello! I've been using DarQ on my rooted phone over a year now ( I'm the guy who just wanted snapchat to work in dark mode even before version 2.1 released that supported snap dark mode)

Anyways, I got a new phone now and rooting it will void it's warranty and whatnot, so I wanted to know if there is any way I can still get my snapchat to work in dark mode withour rooting? (Android 12 btw). I read that I can use some adb commands but I need to do it everytime my phone reboots? (if i read correctly)

TLDR: Is there a somewhat permanent way I can force dark mode on my snapchat without having to connect my phone to pc and running the adb commands everytime it reboots.

Thanks a lot! :)

EDIT: I installed the darQ 2.2.1 apk and shizuku apk on my new phone, started shizuku via adb and gave access to darq through it. But my snapchat still isn't working in dark mode. What's the catch here?

Last edited:

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
@Quinny899 Hello! I've been using DarQ on my rooted phone over a year now ( I'm the guy who just wanted snapchat to work in dark mode even before version 2.1 released that supported snap dark mode)

Anyways, I got a new phone now and rooting it will void it's warranty and whatnot, so I wanted to know if there is any way I can still get my snapchat to work in dark mode withour rooting? (Android 12 btw). I read that I can use some adb commands but I need to do it everytime my phone reboots? (if i read correctly)

TLDR: Is there a somewhat permanent way I can force dark mode on my snapchat without having to connect my phone to pc and running the adb commands everytime it reboots.

Thanks a lot! :)

EDIT: I installed the darQ 2.2.1 apk and shizuku apk on my new phone, started shizuku via adb and gave access to darq through it. But my snapchat still isn't working in dark mode. What's the catch here?
Snapchat currently does not work with any dark mode method that I know of.

Jul 1, 2021
@Quinny899 It's so strange because on my last phone, I was able to run snapchat in dark mode ( up until the beginning of this month ) using DarQ and Edxposed manager.

However when I achieved the same setup in my new phone, it didn't work.

@trevtdogg thanks for the suggestion but yes it does look pretty ugly 🤣

Crimsonflex

May 14, 2020
Hi

Currently using darq and shizuku on my Xiaomi mi a3 using adb pc method.

It works but everytime I charge my phone shizuku stops service.

Anyway can keep it active after charging?

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Hi

If Shizuku itself is stopped it's not DarQ's problem. Chances are it can't be fixed by Shizuku's devs too as MIUI is probably killing the ADB service.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

If Shizuku itself is stopped it's not DarQ's problem. Chances are it can't be fixed by Shizuku's devs too as MIUI is probably killing the ADB service.
    PFfaGMr.png

DarQ provides a per-app selectable force dark option for Android 10 and above.

It uses a root or Shizuku (ADB) service to apply the theme seamlessly and quickly, without needing an accessibility service.

DarQ also provides an option to apply the system dark theme (as well as selectable force dark) only after sunset and before sunrise, protecting your eyes when it's most needed.

Please read the Frequently Asked Questions sections in the app or here for more information and some answers to questions

Download from GitHub releases

Source available on GitHub

Screenshots:

QJ8KOet.png
    ZlgurUU.png

Examples of apps with force dark enabled:

6wp1GQK.png
    N0bhKGi.png

Changelog:

v2.2 & v2.2.1
    DarQ 2.2 is a maintenance release with Android 13 support and a fix for location related crashes for the Auto Dark Theme option.
    2.2.1 fixes a crash introduced in 2.2

v2.1
    DarQ 2.1 contains a few new features and fixes:
    • Backup and Restore your config to device or the cloud
    • A rewritten Xposed module with the ability to make even more apps work with force dark, including Snapchat and an option (enabled by default) to fix the inverted (black on dark) status bar icon colors.
    • Fixed crashes related to navigation in the app
    • Fixed a crash where requesting root could cause a crash
    • Improved some Material You theming throughout the app
    Please note, if you use the Xposed module currently, your settings may be reset by this update. Read the instructions in this post to workaround this.

v2.0
    DarQ 2.0 is a complete, from scratch rewrite of DarQ, with a lot of improvements:
    • DarQ 2.0 has an entirely new design, with Material You elements and Monet (wallpaper-based) colours.
    • The ADB script is now gone, and instead Shizuku handles the service on non-root devices. If you don't know what Shizuku is, think of it like a Superuser app for non-root devices. Start Shizuku via ADB on a computer (or even on your phone on Android 11 and above) once per boot, and any app that uses Shizuku can use ADB services.
    • The Accessibility Service has been replaced with a ProcessObserver, using the Shizuku/Root service. This is much quicker than Accessibility, so apps that previously were opening too quick to be supported may now work.
    • Improvements to the auto dark theme at sunrise/sunset to work better on different devices.
    • Improvements to the Xposed module for apps that try to block the use of force dark, preventing them from doing so.
    Version 1.1 is now on XDA Labs. It includes support for Android Q beta 5, and removes support for beta 4. Do not update if you are still on beta 4.

Why did this take so long for a one line change?
    Yesterday, when beta 5 came out, and I discovered the force dark setprop key had reverted, the first thing I tried was to set it without root. To my surprise, it worked (but this does not mean DarQ works without root now, keep reading).
    However, after modifying the app to not need root and to only allow the auto dark option with root, I released an APK to a few testers. They all reported the same thing: It didn't work without root.
    What actually turned out was that while it worked without root permissions, selinux had to be disabled. As I use Viper4Android on my Pixel, I have selinux disabled (the only current way for it to work on Q), so I didn't notice this during development.
    And so, those modifications took a few hours and were all trashed this evening in favour of a one line change and release. Serves me right for not fully testing it before putting effort into development.

Enjoy.
    Version 1.2 is now available on XDA Labs, at long last!

If you're using ADB (the non-root method), please make sure to download and run the script too.

Changelog said:
    v1.2
    - DarQ now works without root! Use the ADB script from the XDA thread or GitHub repository to run the required background service to use DarQ without needing to root your device.
    - Fixed root detection
    - Added OxygenOS support
    - Added a search box to the app list
    - Added a filter for system apps (hidden by default) in the app list
    When downloading from XDA labs app or browser, I get a "trouble parsing package" error.
    sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's not working in beta 5. thanks heaps for the great idea/work tho.

It doesn't work for me as well in beta 5 but I had a weird bug in beta 4. I had it only enabled for a few apps but sometimes it was being applied to fb messenger when in bubble mode.

Already known, will be fixed later today.

is this same as substratum overlay?

No. Read the FAQ.