[APP] S Pen Toolbox - screen off on S Pen attach

Search This thread

StupidIdea

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2011
I wrote a simple app that turns screen off when S Pen is attached to the device. Samsung forgot to add this so I did.

Features:
* Custom sounds for S Pen attach and detach events.
* Show customizable actions list when detaching S Pen.
* Start any action, application or shortcut on detach (including S Note popup).
* Screen Off when attaching S Pen stylus.
* Smart Screen Off Mode - turn screen off on attach only if it was off when detaching S Pen.
* Return to Home screen when attaching S Pen stylus
* Create Screen Off shortcut on Home screen.
* no root required

Play Store: S Pen Toolbox

This application asks for Device Administrator permission. It is needed for screen off action. You will need to turn this permission off if you want to uninstall the application or Android will not allow to uninstall it. Simply click 'OFF' switch in application settings.

spen_toolbox.png

Any ideas what else I should add to this application?

Last edited:

s3lover

Jul 18, 2012
Android Wear
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
I was wondering if this is needed. I can add it.

Thing is I use my pen in messages twitter things like that I'm guessing people with note 2 would love to see this added maybe a pop up window opens up when you take out your pen then you can chose from the list in a pop up window

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Also I think if you did a poll on what I said I think you get more yeses then no

devilcatz

Dec 20, 2012
Try 'spenboard switcher'

I've been using it. It can be found in Google play store if I am not wrong.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using xda app-developers app

Census Taker

Jun 7, 2008
Chinnor
Thing is I use my pen in messages twitter things like that I'm guessing people with note 2 would love to see this added maybe a pop up window opens up when you take out your pen then you can chose from the list in a pop up window

I think this is a good idea. Since you added the Spen detach function to GMD Spen Control I have set up 'detach' to open the right launch pad and 'attach' to switch the screen off.

Having this in a separate app would free up the launch pad for those who like lots of apps on multiple launch pads, or provide this functionality for those who don't want all of the other functionality of Spen Control.

I hope this helps you refine these really great apps!

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
New version 2.0

Uploaded new version.

2.0:
- Added customizable action list that can be shown on S Pen detach.
- Added option to create Screen Off shortcut on Home screen.
- Fix: purchased key should be handled properly now in all cases.

spen_toolbox.png

Last edited:

s3lover

Jul 18, 2012
Android Wear
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Thanks for adding the action list that makes life easy now

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

Also is there any chance to make the action list stay around after exiting a action as I got to keep replacing the pen then taking it out to get the list up again cheers

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
Thanks for adding the action list that makes life easy now

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 AM ----------

Also is there any chance to make the action list stay around after exiting a action as I got to keep replacing the pen then taking it out to get the list up again cheers

I added option to show action list notification and it is on by default. You can click this notification to open action list. Any better suggestions how to make it open ? One idea was to add home screen shortcut, but then I opted for notification as it is accessible from any application.

Reactions: sgndroid1

if4ct0r

Nov 19, 2011
Google Pixel 6
I'd like to make a quick suggestion to make this nice app even better :
The screen should be turned off only if it was off when I detached the SPen. Use case scenario: I'm working on the phone, I need to take the SPen out for some reason, attach it again and continue working. It would turn off the screen which would be annoying.
You need to remember the on/off status of the screen to override the turn off feature when SPen is attached. It should be simple I think. You can provide it as an additional feature - "Smart Turn Off" :)

Great app though :) Very useful.

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
I'd like to make a quick suggestion to make this nice app even better :
The screen should be turned off only if it was off when I detached the SPen. Use case scenario: I'm working on the phone, I need to take the SPen out for some reason, attach it again and continue working. It would turn off the screen which would be annoying.
You need to remember the on/off status of the screen to override the turn off feature when SPen is attached. It should be simple I think. You can provide it as an additional feature - "Smart Turn Off" :)

Great app though :) Very useful.

Thanks, I will add it. So far plans for new version:
* Option to start application/shortcut/action on detach
* Add S Note popup action, that can be added to action list or started on detach
* Smart Screen Off.

Anything else?

Reactions: Census Taker

StupidIdea

Jun 24, 2011
if your phone is not root you can not uninstall the app.

You have to turn OFF the Device Admistrator permission in application settings. Its first setting. Then you can uninstall it. I really wrote it everywhere I could (XDA post, Play Store description, in app permission description). This is how this permission works, you cannot uninstall app while this permission is granted. If you check any other app that turns off scree, they all have the same "issue".

Last edited:

if4ct0r

Nov 19, 2011
Google Pixel 6
Thanks, I will add it. So far plans for new version:
* Option to start application/shortcut/action on detach
* Add S Note popup action, that can be added to action list or started on detach
* Smart Screen Off.

Anything else?

Great :)
Since this app is dealing with SPen detach/attach actions, is it possible for you to include custom attach/detach sounds from your app? I'm not sure about the implementation aspects but it's a much sought after feature and would save us the trouble of modding and/or flashing :)

Reactions: StupidIdea

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wrote a simple app that turns screen off when S Pen is attached to the device. Samsung forgot to add this so I did.

Features:
    * Custom sounds for S Pen attach and detach events.
    * Show customizable actions list when detaching S Pen.
    * Start any action, application or shortcut on detach (including S Note popup).
    * Screen Off when attaching S Pen stylus.
    * Smart Screen Off Mode - turn screen off on attach only if it was off when detaching S Pen.
    * Return to Home screen when attaching S Pen stylus
    * Create Screen Off shortcut on Home screen.
    * no root required

Play Store: S Pen Toolbox

This application asks for Device Administrator permission. It is needed for screen off action. You will need to turn this permission off if you want to uninstall the application or Android will not allow to uninstall it. Simply click 'OFF' switch in application settings.

spen_toolbox.png

Any ideas what else I should add to this application?
    New version 2.0

Uploaded new version.

2.0:
    - Added customizable action list that can be shown on S Pen detach.
    - Added option to create Screen Off shortcut on Home screen.
    - Fix: purchased key should be handled properly now in all cases.

spen_toolbox.png
    New version 4.0.0

4.0:
    - Added custom media file selection for detach/attach events.
    - Fixed bugs.
    How does this app compare to GMD Spen Control? Does it have a feature that Spen control doesn't have? I have spen control but am wondering if this offers something different.

This app mostly enhances Samsung stock S Pen features. It also requires Samsung based firmware, but does not require root.
    GMD Spen Control covers all functionality, but it requires root. SPen Control works on any rom.

Great app indeed. Really low ram footprint as far as I can see, I really hope battery and wake locks impact is zero as it should.

May I suggest the following features?
    Ability to re order the action list by drag and drop
    Ability to customise action list icon size, or make them a tad bigger and separated, like when android system asks you to choose the predefined app to open something (and you can select "always" or "just once")
    Ability to choose if the action list is to be shown on bottom, center or top of the screen

Cheers and keep up the good work!!!

Galaxy Note II - Alliance Rom

Thanks, I will consider adding action list UI customizations.
    New version 3.0

- Added: start any action, application or shortcut on detach.
    - Added S Note popup, Screenshot, Home actions
    - Added: select custom sound for S Pen attach and detach.
    - Added Smart screen off mode.
    - Added more visible uninstall instructions.