Question App says unlocked, phone stays locked

Search This thread

DJRepresent

Apr 14, 2010
Had a hell of a time speaking with T-Mobile representatives these last couple of days. Everyone has a different opinion on what I need to do to unlock my S22 Ultra. Just today a guy recommended I download the T-Mobile Device Unlock app off the Play store and it said the following:

"Your device is currently permantently unlocked and allowed to be used with any carrier. Restart your device to apply these changes if your device was previously locked." Yet I do that and it remains locked.

Anyone else had this experience? Not sure what I can do short of returning it.

V0latyle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Had a hell of a time speaking with T-Mobile representatives these last couple of days. Everyone has a different opinion on what I need to do to unlock my S22 Ultra. Just today a guy recommended I download the T-Mobile Device Unlock app off the Play store and it said the following:

"Your device is currently permantently unlocked and allowed to be used with any carrier. Restart your device to apply these changes if your device was previously locked." Yet I do that and it remains locked.

Anyone else had this experience? Not sure what I can do short of returning it.
If you're talking about OEM Unlocking, that is completely separate from carrier lock, and there's little the carrier can do about it.

DJRepresent

Apr 14, 2010
Are you the original owner?
Has the phone been paid off?
Are you currently running T-Mobile firmware?
No, I'm not. There was apparently someone before me. The phone is paid off and I do believe there isn't any custom firmware on it and I went through a series of updates since getting the phone.

KOLIOSIS

If this indeed is a T-Mobile phone, you shouldn't need the T-Mobile unlock app. Just look around in Settings > Connections & look around for SIM unlock, network unlock or something along those lines (I'm running US unlocked firmware XAA, so, I don't have the unlock in my settings, otherwise, I'd be able to give you the exact terminology).

Anyway, once you've found it, you should be able to check for the SIM Unlock. If it says you're unlocked & you're still having issues, I'd call customer service.

DJRepresent

Apr 14, 2010
If this indeed is a T-Mobile phone, you shouldn't need the T-Mobile unlock app. Just look around in Settings > Connections & look around for SIM unlock, network unlock or something along those lines (I'm running US unlocked firmware XAA, so, I don't have the unlock in my settings, otherwise, I'd be able to give you the exact terminology).

Anyway, once you've found it, you should be able to check for the SIM Unlock. If it says you're unlocked & you're still having issues, I'd call customer service.
I know that. I've been on the phone with them for over two hours already. I asked them to put in a request to unlock it given the previous owner's contract and filed a complaint with the FCC. The phone SHOULD be eligibile for unlocking but the carrier is just being stubborn.

Reactions: KOLIOSIS

raju_a

Sep 1, 2008
No, I'm not. There was apparently someone before me. The phone is paid off and I do believe there isn't any custom firmware on it and I went through a series of updates since getting the phone.
I got my T-mobile unlocked from 3rd party vendor as it was bought of ebay. I am using that phone in Asia and it is working fine. But i have a problem that i do not get OTA updates

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I know that. I've been on the phone with them for over two hours already. I asked them to put in a request to unlock it given the previous owner's contract and filed a complaint with the FCC. The phone SHOULD be eligibile for unlocking but the carrier is just being stubborn.