• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[APP] Seismo - v0.12 20/09/2008

Search This thread

gerDiamond

Jul 26, 2008
Hi,

Here is a small application which uses the accelerometer and draws a small graph. It uses the g-sensor managed DLL from Koushilk Dutta (and you'll need the .Net Compact Framework 3.5 to run this on your Diamond)

seismo_screenshot.gif

Here is the CAB : SeismoCAB (61KB)

Edit: 20th sept. version 0.12 of my Seismosaur detector :D
  • zoom in/out with nav button (circle clockwise / counter clockwise)
  • close button
  • screen should not turn black while Seismo is running
  • now the scale is inverse tangent like

Have fun (though fun won't last for a long time with this :eek:)

PS: and I already know that this is silly and useless, and ugly... :)

Last edited:

emre_aachen

Jul 26, 2008
Thanks in deed... I was just looking forward for this thing... Pencil is a cute user interface ;)

Just a couple of question or feedback let's say:

-- The seismo in iphone was much more sensitive than ours... Even somebody's walking in the room was enough to disturb needle. Is it all about hardware? The response of accelerometer?

-- This lovely program is only deviating in "normal direction to screen" as far as i observed... I haven't seen a real seismograph, but is it always the case? Or should it react against the "resultant acceleration of three directions"

Thanks for the program...

pol280

Jul 23, 2008
Warsaw
Great APP, I've waited long for Seismograph for Diamond.
However it would be nice to:
1) change the pencil with the proffesional needle image?
2) make it more sensitive (or let us choose the sensitivity:) ),
3) prevent the screen from fading when the APP is running,
4) add some sound?,
5) add the possibilty to save the session,
6) maybe add the Richter scale meter somewhere underneath?

Heh, a long list, but I hope it will help to improve the APP:)

gerDiamond

Jul 26, 2008
Thanks in deed... I was just looking forward for this thing... Pencil is a cute user interface ;)

Just a couple of question or feedback let's say:

-- The seismo in iphone was much more sensitive than ours... Even somebody's walking in the room was enough to disturb needle. Is it all about hardware? The response of accelerometer?

-- This lovely program is only deviating in "normal direction to screen" as far as i observed... I haven't seen a real seismograph, but is it always the case? Or should it react against the "resultant acceleration of three directions"

Thanks for the program...

I'm not sure about the sensitivity, maybe it's the scale i've used (a logarithmic one may be needed, as the iPhone version has)... I'll try some adjustments... but i'm not trying to compete with the iPhone version here nor the results can be compared. iPhone's Seismometer measures some "energy" and not the raw acceleration. Maybe they square it or they integrate it, i don't know:confused:...

You are also right: I'm only measuring "up and down" accelerations. It could also use the norm of the vector if you think that it makes more sense.

emre_aachen

Jul 26, 2008
I'm not sure about the sensitivity, maybe it's the scale i've used (a logarithmic one may be needed, as the iPhone version has)... I'll try some adjustments... but i'm not trying to compete with the iPhone version here nor the results can be compared. iPhone's Seismometer measures some "energy" and not the raw acceleration. Maybe they square it or they integrate it, i don't know:confused:...

You are also right: I'm only measuring "up and down" accelerations. It could also use the norm of the vector if you think that it makes more sense.

Here my ideas for processing of raw data coming out of port:

1- As you've suggested, a log scale may let you magnify the result. Actually it will not magnify but it will let the output be scaled on a narrower band (visually). it means you will have a bigger space to plot data's. So you can increase the output by some constant (multiply with 10 let's say), or even maybe take the cube of the output (taking square will cause problem because negative results will turn into positive then) So we can see even the very small disturbances. and since you use log scale, big oscillations will also not be problem, they will nicely fit on your log scale.

2- Secondly norm of the vector seems like a better idea. Because we're not looking for something scientific or something based on real scales, you can use a resultant vector. The users only want to see the movement of your pencil in any case of disturbance. So sqrt(x'2+y^2+z^2) will be a more useful raw data output just before multiplying with proportional constant and scaling on log paper.

One more time thanks for your effort....

kultus

Jul 7, 2007
works flawesly no probs with sensitivity HR...try to put Dia od table and you will see some vibrations even without any "seismic activity::) so maybe appreciate option to stabilise common distorsions caused by HW such a very small iregular deviations...but leave to measure also this small distorsions so to do some switch...but very very amazing app...

I hate iPhone and iPhonemania but its good inspirations for all WM community

timoline

Jul 24, 2008
Very nice app.

Some suggestions
-exit button
-You can also do this with sound (decibel meter?)
-scale option
-real needle image

Great work so far thanks

gerDiamond

Jul 26, 2008
Thanks for your feedback and suggestions, I'll try to improve this draft :) - I did not spend a lot of time on this as you may have guessed ;)

I'll try first to change the scaling, find or draw a "needle" picture and have an exit button.

Stay tuned...

Ikari

Mar 26, 2006
I was finishing my seismo program last nigth but you got ahead :p

Aldo my program have more features yours have a lot better interface, this was my second WM program so i think its normal, could you share the sorce code so i see how you make the graph?
And i can share my formulas white you to, i was using this web site as base to all my formulas http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learning/topics/measure.php

Thx in advance

Last edited:

gerDiamond

Jul 26, 2008
Hi Ikari,

I had seen the thread where you said that you may code something, but at this time my small Seismo was already on its way...
Of course I'll post my C# solution on this thread this evening/night (European time too) when i get back home and have 5 free minutes :)
Feel free to use it!

tuem

Aug 4, 2007
Karlsruhe
really cool app. kudos from me:)

several small questions - would it be possible to somehow save the data / the graphs?
and it'd be cool if the device didn't go to sleep after the wm-preset time...

vibecatalin

Jul 6, 2008
Very nice one.. I wouldt be nice to save the graphs and for example put the phone on the table and If your girlfriend/wife took it for a few moments then put it back.. you can see that :D... just an ideea :)