Ambient Music Mod is a Shizuku or root app that ports Now Playing from Pixels to other Android devices.
- Android device running Android 9.0 or above (11+ recommended).
- Shizuku (Android 12+) or root access (Android 9+).
- Shizuku does not require root, instead needing an ADB command to be run every reboot.
- Full Now Playing support, based on the latest version from Pixel devices and the latest music databases
- Automatic Ambient Music recognition, with settings to control how often recognition runs - finding the right balance between battery usage and convenience
- Now Playing History and Favourites support
- Support to trigger recognitions manually, including a homescreen widget
- On Demand recognition on supported devices, using the Google Assistant-backed recognition engine for songs that are not in the local database (must be triggered manually)
- Show Now Playing songs on the lock screen (accessibility service required)
- View the full track list of recognisable songs, and change the database location if your taste does not match your device's locale
- Fixed an issue where on device recognition would not work on some devices using Shizuku
- Added the ability for On Demand recognitions to run without the Magisk overlay module, so long as the device is rooted. You must start Shizuku as root or use Sui to make use of this method, and the overlay is still preferred if it works on your device. Please read the Wiki page for more information.
- Further improvements to the On Demand overlay, fixing issues on OnePlus devices
- Fixed the Lock Screen overlay not appearing when Smart Lock is enabled
- Fixed Alternative Encoding and Lock Screen Overlay colour options not being backed up
- Added armv7 support
- Fixed crashes on Android 10
- Fixed an issue where some tracks were not showing up in the track list or in the track count (US database is actually 69k tracks, not 53k)
- Added an option to change the lockscreen overlay text colour
- The lockscreen overlay text now has a slight shadow, improving visibility
- Added caching for updates, which should prevent rate-limit issues. You can force an update check (ignoring cache) by swiping to refresh.
- Enabled landscape orientation
- Fixed background crashes in Now Playing, which may help download issues.
- Improved Magisk On Demand module overlay installing, which may fix bootloops on some devices
Note: Due to issues with the backend database update system, there have been two database updates in the last two days. This is now fixed, and future updates will be timely rather than all at once. Apologies for any inconvenience.
- Added alternative encoding option, fixing distortion/crackling on some devices when enabled
IMPORTANT: You must also update Now Playing to 1.0.1 for the alternative encoding option to work. Use the Updates page in the app to update Now Playing.
- Increased max gain to 3.0 to cope with new encoding which requires a higher gain on some devices
- Reduced the chance of audio recording errors
- Removed "Timeout" notification as it was more useless than it was useful
- Fixed unclickable Chips on Recognition Success page (eg. Ask Google)
InstallationDownload the latest APK from the GitHub Releases page and install it. Ambient Music Mod will download and install the latest Now Playing APK for you as part of the setup process.
If you have any questions, please read the FAQ before opening a GitHub issue or replying to the thread.