[APP][SHIZUKU][30/06] Ambient Music Mod - Pixel Now Playing port

Search This thread

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
Just a heads up, the database update system in the backend (a script that runs daily to keep the manifest on https://github.com/KieronQuinn/AmbientMusicManifest up to date) hasn't been working, so there's another database update incoming. If you're still struggling to download it, there's also an app update coming that seems to improve things.

Reactions: osm0sis

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Just released version 2.0.3:

• Added armv7 support
  • Fixed crashes on Android 10
  • Fixed an issue where some tracks were not showing up in the track list or in the track count (US database is actually 69k tracks, not 53k)
  • Added an option to change the lockscreen overlay text colour
  • The lockscreen overlay text now has a slight shadow, improving visibility
  • Added caching for updates, which should prevent rate-limit issues. You can force an update check (ignoring cache) by swiping to refresh.
  • Enabled landscape orientation
  • Fixed background crashes in Now Playing, which may help download issues.
  • Improved Magisk On Demand module overlay installing, which may fix bootloops on some devices
Note: Due to issues with the backend database update system, there have been two database updates in the last two days. This is now fixed, and future updates will be timely rather than all at once. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Download from GitHub releases as usual

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Trying now on my Galaxy S4 running Android 12.1
Working! Also now fixed on my Galaxy S6edge+ running Android 10

kd7okvQ.jpg
FWTNWFxUsAANPlQ

• Haha
Reactions: Quinny899

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Trying to get this running on S22 Ultra but it gets stuck on downloading database.

Tried rebooting and still stuck, any suggestions?
You can either try plugging the phone in (as this seems to trigger it regardless of the setting) or leaving it. It will download in its own time.

Reactions: osm0sis

chrisrj28

Apr 26, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Ambient Music Mod v2.0.3, com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox v13.23.14.29.arm64 with split_sound_search_fingerprinter_split.apk installed, Magisk Module On Demand Overlay v1.1 installed, Shizuku v12.8 installed and granted root privileges on a Samsung Galaxy S10e (Exynos) running Android 12 One UI 4.0. Everything working fine so far. Except for one thing: On Demand Recognition still says "Firmware Incompatible". Any hope?

Quinny899

Jan 26, 2011
quinny898.co.uk
Ambient Music Mod v2.0.3, com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox v13.23.14.29.arm64 with split_sound_search_fingerprinter_split.apk installed, Magisk Module On Demand Overlay v1.1 installed, Shizuku v12.8 installed and granted root privileges on a Samsung Galaxy S10e (Exynos) running Android 12 One UI 4.0. Everything working fine so far. Except for one thing: On Demand Recognition still says "Firmware Incompatible". Any hope?
You need to use the overlay, but it's currently bootlooping on Samsung devices. Need to figure out why.

Reactions: jericho246
As of right now I've tested a variety of devices
OnePlus 7 Pro (Snapdragon), Android 12 QPR3 (YAAP), and 12.1
OnePlus 7T(Snapdragon), Android 12 QPR3 (YAAP), and 12.1
OnePlus 7 Pro 5G (Snapdragon), Android 12 QPR3 (YAAP), and 12.1
Galaxy S6edge+ (Exynos), Android 10 (LineageOS)
Galaxy S4 (Snapdragon), Android 12.1 (Optimized LineageOS)

I'm going to test this on a Redmi Note 3 soon as well, and possibly a LG Velvet 5G. If I get my hands on one, also a Huawei device (Kirin)

And always, thank you very much Quinny for this work. I've always missed this feature from my Pixel 3a after I moved to OnePlus.

TerrorByteX

Jun 17, 2010
Re-enable the background notification if you've disabled it, then reboot. That will tell you if the service is getting killed. If it is, there's something killing it you need to switch off.
It doesn't look like the service is getting killed.

The background notification persists but there are still no automatic recognitions. Tried a fresh install too.

Wlz-23

Jun 28, 2022
One small question. The lock screen stuff doesn't work with Good Lock's module Lockstar right?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've tried it at 2 and 3 but over half the time the clip is just silence. Most luck I've had so far is with it at 1.1, but it only works randomly. Sometimes it picks up audio played by my 8T (using Poweramp) itself, which it's also not supposed to be able to do. 🤷‍♂️

I'm on OOS11 still, and while I have the now playing and ambient apps on the "don't optimize" battery list, I'm wondering if it's just typical OnePlus background process fu*kery or maybe OOS11 just isn't compatible enough.

Yes that is weird. I tested this mod on a OnePlus Nord 2T (on Android 12) and the music detection works correctly. I had to enable alternative encoding. And I didn't have to mess with the gain setting
    But, unfortunately there's a problem on OnePlus devices that makes the Now Playing History crash :( so I can only see what the last detected song was.
    Ambient Music Mod Banner

Ambient Music Mod is a Shizuku or root app that ports Now Playing from Pixels to other Android devices.

Requirements​

• Android device running Android 9.0 or above (11+ recommended).
    • Shizuku (Android 12+) or root access (Android 9+).
      • Shizuku does not require root, instead needing an ADB command to be run every reboot.

Features​

• Full Now Playing support, based on the latest version from Pixel devices and the latest music databases
    • Automatic Ambient Music recognition, with settings to control how often recognition runs - finding the right balance between battery usage and convenience
    • Now Playing History and Favourites support
    • Support to trigger recognitions manually, including a homescreen widget
    • On Demand recognition on supported devices, using the Google Assistant-backed recognition engine for songs that are not in the local database (must be triggered manually)
    • Show Now Playing songs on the lock screen (accessibility service required)
    • View the full track list of recognisable songs, and change the database location if your taste does not match your device's locale

Screenshots​

Screenshots

Changelog​

- Fixed an issue where on device recognition would not work on some devices using Shizuku

- Added the ability for On Demand recognitions to run without the Magisk overlay module, so long as the device is rooted. You must start Shizuku as root or use Sui to make use of this method, and the overlay is still preferred if it works on your device. Please read the Wiki page for more information.
    - Further improvements to the On Demand overlay, fixing issues on OnePlus devices
    - Fixed the Lock Screen overlay not appearing when Smart Lock is enabled
    - Fixed Alternative Encoding and Lock Screen Overlay colour options not being backed up

- Added armv7 support
    - Fixed crashes on Android 10
    - Fixed an issue where some tracks were not showing up in the track list or in the track count (US database is actually 69k tracks, not 53k)
    - Added an option to change the lockscreen overlay text colour
    - The lockscreen overlay text now has a slight shadow, improving visibility
    - Added caching for updates, which should prevent rate-limit issues. You can force an update check (ignoring cache) by swiping to refresh.
    - Enabled landscape orientation
    - Fixed background crashes in Now Playing, which may help download issues.
    - Improved Magisk On Demand module overlay installing, which may fix bootloops on some devices

Note: Due to issues with the backend database update system, there have been two database updates in the last two days. This is now fixed, and future updates will be timely rather than all at once. Apologies for any inconvenience.

2.0.2:
    - Added alternative encoding option, fixing distortion/crackling on some devices when enabled
    IMPORTANT: You must also update Now Playing to 1.0.1 for the alternative encoding option to work. Use the Updates page in the app to update Now Playing.
    - Increased max gain to 3.0 to cope with new encoding which requires a higher gain on some devices
    - Reduced the chance of audio recording errors
    - Removed "Timeout" notification as it was more useless than it was useful
    - Fixed unclickable Chips on Recognition Success page (eg. Ask Google)

Installation​

Download the latest APK from the GitHub Releases page and install it. Ambient Music Mod will download and install the latest Now Playing APK for you as part of the setup process.

If you have any questions, please read the FAQ before opening a GitHub issue or replying to the thread.
    Isn't android 12 OOS update been out for some time now? Which device the dev is using?
    7T Pro. It's in closed beta.

I gave up waiting because it's ridiculous how long it's taken and am working on 12 support using an AOSP ROM.
    Ambient Music Mod v2.0.4 & Now Playing v1.0.3 released:

• Added the ability for On Demand recognitions to run without the Magisk overlay module, so long as the device is rooted. You must start Shizuku as root or use Sui to make use of this method, and the overlay is still preferred if it works on your device. Please read the Wiki page for more information.
    • Further improvements to the On Demand overlay, fixing issues on OnePlus devices
    • Fixed the Lock Screen overlay not appearing when Smart Lock is enabled
    • Fixed Alternative Encoding and Lock Screen Overlay colour options not being backed up
    Download from GitHub releases as usual
    Ambient Music Mod 2.0 is here, with a complete overhaul including dropping the need for an Xposed module, and even root.

Read more: https://medium.com/@KieronQuinn/now-playing-ambient-music-mod-v2-93cd4042cc11

Download the latest release from GitHub releases

Important: If you are upgrading from Ambient Music Mod 1.x, please uninstall the old version completely including the Xposed module and Pixel Ambient Services and reboot before installing this new version.

-

I've also asked this thread to be moved since it's no longer a Magisk module
    Moved, thanks Badger50!
    Is it possible, to have multiple databases installed?
    Like Germany + US ?
    Not currently, although it might be in the future.